Zacch Pickens / DL article

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:59 pm I hear you on Jones, but that dude got nice raise so other teams liked him. I was ok letting him go at that price. For me, one extra pass rusher and I’d be satisfied it’s a functional unit, even a middling guy like the ones still out there. I’m ok with Sweat and Walker and letting Booker get some reps, but I don’t want to see meaningful snaps for Martin or DomRob. Booker is the flyer for the rotation. So an Ngokoue type guy would be ideal and provide better rotations and depth.
Not a difficult decision to make when we had two DT on rookie contracts making less collectively (roughly 28%) than it would've taken to keep Jones. As for other teams only one signed him and his deal has an APY of $10 mil with nearly $18 mil guaranteed. No way Poles was gonna pay that for Jones production. IMHO AZ over paid.

As much as I will never be a Wanny fan in this case I agree with what he told David Haugh on his show. The guys who are still on the street are there because of their asking price. He believes Poles will wait it out for a few weeks after camp opens and will only sign someone at his price. He's not gonna spend $10 mil again for a "tire patch" DE on a one year deal.
spudbear
MVP

dave99 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:03 pm In 2014 the Seahawks had the number one defense.
The sack leader was the Bruce Irvin with 6.5. The team had 37 sacks for the season.
But 3 of the 4 DB’s went to the pro bowl, 2 were first team All-Pro.
In Super Bowl XLVIII, they thumped the favored Broncos 43-8

Not saying we are comparable to the Seahawks but I am pointing out that a shut down secondary can elevate a otherwise mediocre DL.
In addition to the shutdown secondary, the Legion of Boom had KJ Wright, Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner playing LB, with Wagner selected 1st team All-Pro. Good linebackers can also help a defensive line as well.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:21 am
dplank wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:59 pm I hear you on Jones, but that dude got nice raise so other teams liked him. I was ok letting him go at that price. For me, one extra pass rusher and I’d be satisfied it’s a functional unit, even a middling guy like the ones still out there. I’m ok with Sweat and Walker and letting Booker get some reps, but I don’t want to see meaningful snaps for Martin or DomRob. Booker is the flyer for the rotation. So an Ngokoue type guy would be ideal and provide better rotations and depth.
As for other teams only one signed him and his deal has an APY of $10 mil with nearly $18 mil guaranteed. No way Poles was gonna pay that for Jones production. IMHO AZ over paid.
Only one team can sign him tho, and he got a nice raise and was signed quickly in free agency which indicates that there was a lot of interest in him. AZ signed him to a nice 3 year deal without a real out, they will pay him that money and he's quite expensive in years 2 and 3 of that deal (12M each year).

I'm not arguing Poles should have paid that. But he's clearly a good player and was our best interior lineman last year. There's no escaping the fact that his loss will hurt.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:11 pm

As for other teams only one signed him and his deal has an APY of $10 mil with nearly $18 mil guaranteed. No way Poles was gonna pay that for Jones production. IMHO AZ over paid.
Only one team can sign him tho, and he got a nice raise and was signed quickly in free agency which indicates that there was a lot of interest in him. AZ signed him to a nice 3 year deal without a real out, they will pay him that money and he's quite expensive in years 2 and 3 of that deal (12M each year).

I'm not arguing Poles should have paid that. But he's clearly a good player and was our best interior lineman last year. There's no escaping the fact that his loss will hurt.
AZ also signed him to play the position he played when he was with the Chargers, not the one he switched to for the Bears.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:45 pm

AZ also signed him to play the position he played when he was with the Chargers, not the one he switched to for the Bears.
He's still a DT. He shifted between 1 and 3 with us, so not really?
wab
Mod

Yeah, I mean scheme doesn't matter at all.............
dplank
Hall of Famer

DO they play a 3/4? My bad if so, didn't realize
Bearfacts
Head Coach

I'd quarrel over that statement. Billings was a more statistically sound DT than Jones at least according to the analytics I read. I'd also submit that he got the offer he did because experienced 3 tech DT are scarce in FA. IMHO and only IMHO he's one of several DL who get overpaid in FA every year by teams who need players like him. He's a mid-level DL at best.

The only way his loss will hurt is if Dexter and Pickens fail to live up to their projections. Seems to me that Dexter was already outplaying Jones late in the 2023 season. In any event there are a couple of very highly rated DL in the 2025 draft. We need to know now whether or not to target one and the only way that happens is by playing Dexter and Pickens right?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Just in from PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-defen ... -york-jets

Not bottom 5, bottom 6! lol
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A 6 minute discussion of the Bears DL over film reps of each player: