2024 Training Camp

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

With a little under 3 weeks to go I figured it was time for a new thread for all things Training Camp (at least until Hard Knocks starts).

For anyone hoping to attend and get an early look at Caleb Williams in person, tickets for Training Camp go on sale next Tuesday, 9 July.

Full details: https://www.chicagobears.com/fan-zone/training-camp

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Simone Biles: Bears granting husband Jonathan Owens time off from training camp to see Olympics

Gymnast Simone Biles is returning to the Olympics, and her husband, Jonathan Owens, will be able to watch her live on the biggest stage.

"The Bears are actually granting him a couple days off from training camp, so he'll be there, yes," Biles said. "For just a short little time."

Bears veterans report for training camp on July 19. Chicago is participating in the Hall of Fame Game against the Texans in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 1.

The U.S. women's gymnastics team will start Olympic competition with the qualifying round on July 28. The team final is on July 30. The women's all-around final, where Biles is expected to be one of the favorites, is Aug. 1.

"Anytime we can show up for one another in support, we just get super excited because our schedules don't align that much," Biles said. "So whenever it does, it's really important for the both of us to show up in support."

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/simone-biles-b ... e-olympics
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:53 pm
Simone Biles: Bears granting husband Jonathan Owens time off from training camp to see Olympics

Gymnast Simone Biles is returning to the Olympics, and her husband, Jonathan Owens, will be able to watch her live on the biggest stage.

"The Bears are actually granting him a couple days off from training camp, so he'll be there, yes," Biles said. "For just a short little time."

Bears veterans report for training camp on July 19. Chicago is participating in the Hall of Fame Game against the Texans in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 1.

The U.S. women's gymnastics team will start Olympic competition with the qualifying round on July 28. The team final is on July 30. The women's all-around final, where Biles is expected to be one of the favorites, is Aug. 1.

"Anytime we can show up for one another in support, we just get super excited because our schedules don't align that much," Biles said. "So whenever it does, it's really important for the both of us to show up in support."

I wonder if being on Hard Knocks influenced the Bears decision? Would be a bad look for the org if he was upset about it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That calendar is absolutely brutal. I have to wait an entire month for the first game?

Then the Saturday games don't start for another month and a half? Geez.

This offseason has been exhausting in both bad and good ways. I need to get to the games.
spudbear
MVP

Off season is always difficult. Either the Bears are coming off a bad season and a questionable draft, or they got enough guys in the draft and FA to where you start getting your hopes up. Only to have them stomped on by October. MLB is no substitute, and even watching the pretty girls twirl in tight leotards at the Olympics is not enough.

Let's see if Nate Davis has a family member in the Olympics and needs time off for that.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Things sure have changed since Platteville. No tickets were ever needed and all practices, except Saturday night ones were open to the public. Made the 3 hr drive there numerous times. Have not been since they moved it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Sold out in under 43 minutes.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Disappointing news about Kiran Amegadjie after they said they were hoping he'd be ready to go for camp, but not unsurprising. I imagine it's highly likely he'll be stashed on the Reserve/NFI list for the season.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:01 am Disappointing news about Kiran Amegadjie after they said they were hoping he'd be ready to go for camp, but not unsurprising. I imagine it's highly likely he'll be stashed on the Reserve/NFI list for the season.
Would be an interesting wrinkle if he can't go.
I've been assuming he'd make the roster, but probably be behind and limited value.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Middleguard
MVP

I don't understand why Kiran's injury is considered "non-football."
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bad way to start his tenure, hope people don’t slap the injury prone label on him Ike they did Tev when he couldn’t go as a rookie
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:18 pm I don't understand why Kiran's injury is considered "non-football."
I assume it's a technicality because it's an injury he had in college rather than one sustained while with the Bears.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:53 pm

Some will disagree but I believe this is a smart move by the Bears. It shows respect for the player and his wife.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Absolutely.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:22 pm Bad way to start his tenure, hope people don’t slap the injury prone label on him Ike they did Tev when he couldn’t go as a rookie
I think it two very different viewpoints and how each situation has been handled.

Pace and Nagy knew all about Jenkins back issues when they drafted him. If he needed surgery and recovery time he should've been given that from the start. Instead in hopes of avoiding criticism from the media for having spent a high pick on "damaged goods" they hoped to get around it and failed. This is one reason I refuse to count Teven's rookie down time against him. He should never have been expected to start once his back issues became more apparent.

In Amengadjie the Bears also knew they were drafting a player coming off a serious injury that much like Jenkins may have made him available later in the draft than if he would've been 100% healthy and ready to play immediately. Drafting him was an investment they can't cash in on yet and they knew that was also possible. The OL has it's bases covered as far as the starters go. Amengadjie would've started as a backup anyway and even those spots have experienced vets to fill now.

He's a future LT prospect should Jones fail to ascend farther. Or he could end up at OG if Davis and/or Jenkins are not retained. Let him heal and be 100% ready to play in late 2024 or even 2025. We don't need him that badly now.
Heinz D.
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:01 am Disappointing news about Kiran Amegadjie after they said they were hoping he'd be ready to go for camp, but not unsurprising. I imagine it's highly likely he'll be stashed on the Reserve/NFI list for the season.
OMG--I certainly hope not! He was a third round pick, and we didn't have a second. If he can't play this year...he should be considered a wasted third round pick, and sadly, another big mistake by Poles.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:24 pm
OMG--I certainly hope not! He was a third round pick, and we didn't have a second. If he can't play this year...he should be considered a wasted third round pick, and sadly, another big mistake by Poles.
Hardly. Missing one year isn't the end of his career. For all we know he could miss this season and go on to play at an All Pro level for the next decade. That would hardly be a waste let alone a big mistake. It always takes a few seasons to truly judge a draft pick, so let's wait and see and not overreact if he doesn't play this year. He wasn't drafted to be an immediate starter in any case.

If he ends up missing camp having already missed all the mini-camps and OTAs then I can't see much benefit in putting him on the active roster. He won't have had the preparation any rookie needs if they're going to have a successful first season.
Heinz D.
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:09 pm Hardly. Missing one year isn't the end of his career. For all we know he could miss this season and go on to play at an All Pro level for the next decade. That would hardly be a waste let alone a big mistake. It always takes a few seasons to truly judge a draft pick, so let's wait and see and not overreact if he doesn't play this year. He wasn't drafted to be an immediate starter in any case.

If he ends up missing camp having already missed all the mini-camps and OTAs then I can't see much benefit in putting him on the active roster. He won't have had the preparation any rookie needs if they're going to have a successful first season.
I'm not saying it would be the end of his career. I'm saying if he can't play until 2025, he shouldn't have been the Bears third round pick...when they didn't have a second. Poles needed a contributor with that pick, and he ain't one, it's a TERRIBLE pick. As bad as Odunze. Maybe worse.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Wait…Odunze was a bad pick?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Lol
G08
Hall of Famer

I'll be there August 4th

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:22 pm Bad way to start his tenure, hope people don’t slap the injury prone label on him Ike they did Tev when he couldn’t go as a rookie
It wasn't after he got hurt in Years 2 and 3 multiple times?

The injury thing isn't a false narrative on Jenkins
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:20 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:09 pm Hardly. Missing one year isn't the end of his career. For all we know he could miss this season and go on to play at an All Pro level for the next decade. That would hardly be a waste let alone a big mistake. It always takes a few seasons to truly judge a draft pick, so let's wait and see and not overreact if he doesn't play this year. He wasn't drafted to be an immediate starter in any case.

I'm not saying it would be the end of his career. I'm saying if he can't play until 2025, he shouldn't have been the Bears third round pick...when they didn't have a second. Poles needed a contributor with that pick, and he ain't one, it's a TERRIBLE pick. As bad as Odunze. Maybe worse.
Poles didn't need a contributor with that pick, not like previous years. The roster, including the O-line, has better depth now. What exactly would you have expected from Amegadgie this season? He wasn't expected to start. He might barely have seen the field and still might not even if he does return to health.

Do you feel the same way about Booker? The general consensus is that he'll need a year's development before he'll make much of a contribution. If that proves to be the case was he a wasted pick too? What if he becomes a quality starter next year?

As for Poles not having a R2 pick, he had a second R1 and it was in the top 10 so that more than compensates. Your dislike of him using that pick on an elite WR prospect to pair long-term with his elite QB prospect is odd to say the least!

Poles isn't just putting a roster together for this coming season, he's building for long-term, sustained success.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:25 am I'll be there August 4th
We shall expect a comprehensive report. 8-)

Oh and a sighting on Hard Knocks!
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:57 am
G08 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:25 am I'll be there August 4th
We shall expect a comprehensive report. 8-)

Oh and a sighting on Hard Knocks!
I usually do :)

A few days before I typically open a thread and ask people what they want me to focus on and then come back with my observations:
G08 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:41 pm Apologies this is more scattershot than my original recap

7/29/22

The OL looks noticeably slimmer, Larry Borom in particular. Sam Mustipher, not as much. Thicker in his lower half and still moved with some 'lumber' to his motion.

Duke Shelley is tiny ya'll, scrappy dude but tiny nonetheless

Nathan Peterman has been more accurate in the pocket passing drill (throw football into a net) than Justin Fields. Nathan. Peterman.

I actually like Trevor Siemian quite a bit as a QB2, there is nothing special or flashy to his game but the ball comes out clean, quick and in rhythm. He's got some wiggle to his game as well so he won't be a 'Nick Foles Statue' in the pocket

That being said, Fields seems to have taken well to the new shotgun stance (left foot up) and is smooth in his dropbacks. He also now has an almost 3/4 release on some throws where the ball comes out on a rope (used this a handful of times for TDs in the RZ).

Kyler Gordon is the goods. This kid has tremendous feet, outstanding change of direction and incredibly quick. He's the most talented player in our secondary in my opinion.

Defense is doing some drills I haven't seen in quite some time... the DBs and LBs are working on their 'click and close' based on when the QB's arm transitions to a throwing motion, a lot of quickness and speed displayed by our secondary. Our LBs, not as much, but my takeaway (nothing shocking here) is we will be playing more zone defense than we have seen in the past.

Another drill involved a coach holding a football in the air as if he just caught the ball as a WR, the DBs have their back to the coach, a whistle is blown and the DB does their backpedal, flips their hips, and then locates and sprints to the coach while attacking the football. Fun to see, and to no surprise Kyler Gordon was the quickest/smoothest/cleanest of the bunch. I'm developing a man-crush.

In 7 on 7's in the red zone, Jaquan Brisker blanketed Cole Kmet and while Justin Fields threw an accurate ball to Kmet, Brisker's long arms reached out and cleanly picked it off. Really cool to see from the young kid... I have been impressed with our first two picks; might be the building blocks of our new-look secondary.

Cole Kmet looks a touch quicker than I recall seeing him the past few years, hopefully this translates once the pads come on. He had a couple nice TD grabs in red zone.

N'Keal Harry isn't going to wow you with quickness or separation, but he is a big body and when he coordinates himself correctly it is difficult for the DB to stop him. He had two solid grabs in red zone while another he was unable to corral. Nothing special but then again that's par for the course with this WR group for anyone not named Mooney.

Byron Pringle runs quick routes but has inconsistent hands. ESB was getting a lot of action and was solid in being a target in the middle of the field.

Trestan Ebner runs routes like a fucking WR... outstanding footwork and burst. He could be a fun one to match up on LBs and DBs. Montgomery ran a quick/clean option route on his LB and the pass was completed, ditto Khalil Herbert. I'm anticipating plenty of RB targets this season.

The second portion of 7-on-7's I decided to move down to the endzone and watch from the goal posts. It really is a bitch to discern where the ball is when we are running outside zone. I tried my best to watch as if I was a LB/DB, and the motion the line was performing on runs and play action were identical. The large bodies flowing in one direction and the consistent backside action is going to force defenses to pause. Justin made a handful of plays off this very action with simple dump offs to RBs or by sprinting out of the pocket. I'm talking 6-8 yard gains there for the taking.

Random nuggets: it was hot as fuck yet Zach Miller spent the entire practice signing autographs for kids and fans, solid dude. They serve beer here which was amazing, I got a "what's up" from Roquan and Fields (my inner child was happy), my wife thinks Nathan Peterman is hot :puke:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:12 am I usually do :)

A few days before I typically open a thread and ask people what they want me to focus on and then come back with my observations:
I have an idea.

Why don't you go up to Caleb and show him how to hold his balls?

Then you can tell him to expect a backstabbing in four years like you pulled on JF1.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:48 pm I have an idea.

Why don't you go up to Caleb and show him how to hold his balls?

Then you can tell him to expect a backstabbing in four years like you pulled on JF1.
I refer the honorable gentlemen to a thread UOK made some moments ago: viewtopic.php?t=18369
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer