Keep On Cringing About Center

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

GBN wrote:On the other hand, it does not look like it will be a banner year of any kind for the Cs, especially after three went in the top 50 picks or so last April. In fact, it may be kind of telling that the arguably the most talented C in college football these days is Parker Brailsford, who transferred from Washington to Alabama this winter, but he’s way undersized at a listed 6-2, 275 which needless to say could compromise his draft potential. Indeed, in the end, Texas A&M’s Bryce Foster, who at least has prototype size at 6-4, 330, could be the first C off the board next April, but it may not be until the third day.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Connor Williams ever sign anywhere? I couldn't find anything so I'm assuming not...I'd still nab him and slide Bates over to G.
wab
Mod

Guess that played into part of why Poles went after Bates again.

It still wouldn't surprise me if they sniff around Williams once camp starts.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Creed Humphrey is potentially UFA after this season
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:47 am Connor Williams ever sign anywhere? I couldn't find anything so I'm assuming not...I'd still nab him and slide Bates over to G.
The last I knew, he hadn't signed with anyone. Also, it's been reported he's had conversations with the Bears.

I was gonna bring that up the other day, but spaced it off... :stupid:
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
wab
Mod

He's still rehabbing from his December ACL tear. Initially they thought he wasn't going to be ready to start the season, but his agent (Rosenhaus I think) recently came out and said he expects him to be in someone's camp.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agen ... ning-camp/
"Connor has had a remarkable recovery, nothing short of miraculous," Rosenhaus said in an interview with WSVN. "Really looking good for the start of the season. There's a lot of teams interested in him. But I'm just delighted for Connor. Did not anticipate him going to training camp with the team and felt like it might be something during the season before he played, but now he's done an awesome job and we're gonna see Connor Williams in someone's training camp."

Of course, you have to caveat that with:

a) "in someone's training camp" doesn't mean "the whole thing". Arriving for the last day of camp would technically be "in someone's training camp."
b) His agent is free to bullshit on his client's behalf

Everyone's different with injuries, but he went down Dec 11, I believe - I refuse to believe anything sooner than Aug 11 (8 months) until I see it. (And that wouldn't be my guess)
However, for athletes and those looking to get back to a sport, recovery can take some time. For this group, 8 months to a year after surgery is the average timeline for getting back to their previous athletic level.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:16 am
GBN wrote:On the other hand, it does not look like it will be a banner year of any kind for the Cs, especially after three went in the top 50 picks or so last April. In fact, it may be kind of telling that the arguably the most talented C in college football these days is Parker Brailsford, who transferred from Washington to Alabama this winter, but he’s way undersized at a listed 6-2, 275 which needless to say could compromise his draft potential. Indeed, in the end, Texas A&M’s Bryce Foster, who at least has prototype size at 6-4, 330, could be the first C off the board next April, but it may not be until the third day.
Foster transferred to Kansas last month. (Aside: I think highly of Mike Elko, so his decision to move on from Foster absolutely gives me some pause.)

I am firmly of the belief that smart, tough Day 3 guys at the spot are usually adequate, so consider that perspective when I give my list.

Eli Cox (Kentucky) is pretty good, though he turns 24 in October. Jake Majors (Texas) is a C-only guy with has 41 starts under his belt. Jake Slaughter (Florida), Jonah Monheim (USC), Gus Hartwig (Purdue), and FCS transfer Torricelli Simpkins III (South Carolina) are some other guys I like for the 2025 draft.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:36 pm

Foster transferred to Kansas last month. (Aside: I think highly of Mike Elko, so his decision to move on from Foster absolutely gives me some pause.)

I am firmly of the belief that smart, tough Day 3 guys at the spot are usually adequate, so consider that perspective when I give my list.

Eli Cox (Kentucky) is pretty good, though he turns 24 in October. Jake Majors (Texas) is a C-only guy with has 41 starts under his belt. Jake Slaughter (Florida), Jonah Monheim (USC), Gus Hartwig (Purdue), and FCS transfer Torricelli Simpkins III (South Carolina) are some other guys I like for the 2025 draft.
I'm keeping my eye on Eli Cox & Logan Jones
But I'm also keeping my standard pessimism about the C crop, and then dialing it up from usual.

Heinz D.
MVP

The Bears have options. They could sign Williams, and be fine with him sitting until November, or somethinng.

And maybe they will...
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:36 pm

I like Hartwig.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:01 pm The Bears have options. They could sign Williams, and be fine with him sitting until November, or somethinng.

And maybe they will...
They could.
Caleb is a bit of a stumbling block, though.

Having Bates/Shelton take turns throughout the preseason
Then one of those two for (hypothetically) 6 weeks, until Williams is ready
Then Williams for the next 11 games

is far from an ideal rookie experience for him.

Heinz D.
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:00 am They could.
Caleb is a bit of a stumbling block, though.

Having Bates/Shelton take turns throughout the preseason
Then one of those two for (hypothetically) 6 weeks, until Williams is ready
Then Williams for the next 11 games

is far from an ideal rookie experience for him.
That's a good point, and one I didn't really consider. For some reason. Oh yeah, I forgot-- :stupid:

If they want Williams they could work something out, I guess? He'd be able to practice long before he could play in a real game...so they could ease him in. It'll be interesting to see what Poles does. Williams really is a quality center.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'd be onboard with signing Connor Williams. He's still only 27 and his agent swears he's made a remarkable recovery from his ACL injury; we all know how reliable agents are ... But, seriously, I'd sign him, look at Bates and/or Kiran at RG if Davis fails for whatever reason he seems to find.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:46 am I'd be onboard with signing Connor Williams. He's still only 27 and his agent swears he's made a remarkable recovery from his ACL injury; we all know how reliable agents are ... But, seriously, I'd sign him, look at Bates and/or Kiran at RG if Davis fails for whatever reason he seems to find.
I've changed my thinking on this one. I didn't realize he had his surgery like 7 months ago and I have a hard time believing that he's 100% this year. The only way I'd sign him would be with a view of the next several years, so lock him up at a nice discount and let him heal this year and have our C set for the next few years beyond - but that's a luxury buy that I'm not sure we need to be thinking about right now.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:37 am I've changed my thinking on this one. I didn't realize he had his surgery like 7 months ago and I have a hard time believing that he's 100% this year. The only way I'd sign him would be with a view of the next several years, so lock him up at a nice discount and let him heal this year and have our C set for the next few years beyond - but that's a luxury buy that I'm not sure we need to be thinking about right now.
Huh. I'm legit surprised you'd say that!

We have the cash...the only way I wouldn't do it is if I'm extending Allen right away. And maybe Poles is thinking of doing just that, we don't know. It'd be perfect if he could do both (and maybe he can, I'm not totally sure what the cap numbers would be like right now).

As we always say--you can't have a total stud at every position. But...if there's any way to get Williams and have him sit for a while, I'm all for it!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I think they're going to roll with the 2 guys already on the roster.