The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Thank you Boris for this. It has to be the one thing I bring over with me.

Just because I know the title alone will drive some total batshit

I prefer making my own sausage gravy ... I start with 1 schlong each of Jimmy Dean regular and hot (or whatever other brand you prefer as long as 1 mild and 1 hot) ... brown until crumbly ... remove sausage from pan ... add 1 tablespoon garlic and 2 tablespoons butter ... stir over medium heat ... add 1 cup milk and stir until bubbly ... add 4 tablespoons flour and additional 1 and 1/2 cup milk ... salt and pepper to taste ... as gravy thickens, add sausage back in ... stir over low heat until thick and yummy ... serve over fresh biscuits (made however the hell you want)

I then top wth some honey and a healthy dose of Tabasco Sauce
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

I dont think this needs to be a sticky. If we want biscuits and gravy we should have to look for it.
gaba
Head Coach

You're right, biscuits and gravy shouldn't be sticky. If you add honey though, there may be no avoiding it.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Where is that damn finger smilie when I need it. :D
gaba
Head Coach

Right here rock...

:fuwave:

... and have a second helping on me.

:fuwave:

:raspberry:
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

I do. I have a profound love for food that goes beyond the realm of human emotion, and into that of the very foundations of primitive ape-man. Food is happiness.

I am not a glutton, nor am I a skinny rail. I'm pretty lean dude. I have weaknesses: brownies, for example. A good batch of moist, piping hot brownies is absolutely poison for me. I would rob and steal for brownies. They are my drug. I love BBQ chicken, suculant meat and delicious spices. Chili, rice, waffles, french toast, stews, baked bread, spaghetti lasagna...my god, it's all just so delicious.

What I want to know from you is what is your weakness food, your most unusual custom meal, and what is your most embarrassing snack. For example:

Weakness food, obviously brownies, for reasons stated above.

Most unusual custom meal: I love to make toast w/ peanut butter, cut it into trangles/halves, and dip it into hot cocoa. The perfect winter breakfast if you ask me.

Most embarassing snack: One time I was so hungry yet so lazy I had a hot dog that had been sitting out on my desk for probably 5 hours. The bun long since petrofied was no longer an option, but the dog seemed somewhat edible. As it was cold, I used kleenex to wipe off the leftover condiments and in order to warm it up, I rolled it between my hands for about twenty minutes until it felt at least luke warm. Then using the remaining ketchup on the plate that hadn't hardened, I had a disgusting and depressing meal of a single old hotdog dipped into gross ketchup.
MamaBear
Player of the Month

I love food too! My sister calls me a skinny fat person - that is, if I looked like I deserve to look, given my habits and complete dis-interest in exercise....I would be nothing close to skinny. Food, to me, is just one of the greastest highlights in life!

Weakness: I love to go out to eat on the weekends or get carry-out/delivery. There is just nothing better than not having to make or clean up after your food, especially when the food you ate was totally perfectly yummy! However, it costs so much more money to eat out or get take out than it does to make it yourself. Lately I've been making sure I have those brekkie items available, like bacon or sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, toast or english muffins, cheese, grits and also sandwhich making goodies, like cucumbers, onions, pickles, mayo, mustard, deli meat, sliced cheese, lettuce and, most importantly day-old yummy subway making bread! If it's around we will just do that rather than eat out and what's left over gets eaten during the week here and there, trust me.

Most unusual custom meal: Take a fruit pie and make it ala mode with chocolate, rather than vanilla, ice cream. Cherry or raspberry is the best..by far! Have tried peach and strawberry, pretty good. I don't endorse apple though.

Embarassing snack: I don't know, I'm not easily embarrassed. I guess, my kids' Halloween candy?
gaba
Head Coach

I love to eat and I love to cook. Sometimes I don't even have a specific meal in mind. I just throw a bunch of stuff in the pan until it starts to smell good.

Weakness... there are a few meals that I can just NOT stop eating. If I have meatloaf and mashed potatoes or biscuits and gravy, I'll eat until I make myself sick. I also can't give up spicy food (I love jalapenos and hot sausage) even though it does unpleasant and painful things to my digestive system (that's the nicest way I could think to put it).

Most unusual? My most unusual foods might seem pretty normal if you don't ask what's in it. I put all kinds of weird things in my food. For example, if my spaghetti sauce is too sweet, I might add something sour to even it up... mustard maybe. I frequently put a little cinnamon in my chili. Most of my family knows better than to ask what's in my meatballs.

It's not really unusual but it looks weird... about once a week I make green eggs and ham for my girls. We tried purple eggs and ham (purple is my oldest daughter's favorite color) but it turned out kind of pinkish-beige looking. Tasted the same but was WAY to nasty looking to eat.

Embarassing? Can't think of anything. I eat the hell out of my kids' Halloween candy. If I could resist it myself, I'd probably just throw most of it out anyway. I don't let them have candy often and I'd like to be rid of the Halloween candy soon.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
G08
Hall of Famer

God me too, it's something that I actively look forward to on the weekends because I try to maintain *somewhat* of a healthy diet Monday thru Friday. I love anything and everything spicy, but my vice these days are Lamb Curry, extra spicy. I don't know if any of you are fond of indian food, but sweet Jesus I can't get enough of it. Same goes with mexican food, enchiladas, tacos, nachos. Bar food, wings, burgers. Anything with grease lol.

My weakness food, as of right now (apparently I go through shifts), it's warm blueberry pie with cold vanilla ice cream on top. God damnit I'm hungry now.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Pagan
MVP

You guys sound like future Fat Club members.
It's kind of weird that only a few of my friends are overweight- but when we get together we eat and drink unhealthy amounts. Good times.

pagan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gaba
Head Coach

There ain't no "FUTURE" about it. I'm a fat boy already. Have been for a long time.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Pagan
MVP

gaba wrote:There ain't no "FUTURE" about it. I'm a fat boy already. Have been for a long time.
Just so were clear- I really do have a group of friends that when we get together we call it a "Fat Club" weekend (or whatever event). This is a page off of the old website. Last weekend it was the Fat Club Halloween party- Next up a very special Fat Club Christmas.

It's a cool group of diverse people I've grown up with; we get together and eat, drink play video games. Go around town and cause minor disturbances (only minor now- were grown up!) Have good conversations throw the occasional party. It's nice.

pagan
Beardude
Practice Squad

This time of year I like making a big batch of chili. I've had a receipe for years and usually add a little something new to it from time to time.
Lasagne is another favorite of mine to bake and I've wiped out a serving for 12 by myself over a Sat & Sunday. Not something I'm all that proud of but it's darn good and not cheap to make either.
Chocolate chip cookies are a real weakness of mine. I can pick up the cookie dough at the grocery store and then bake em in the oven. 4-5 hours later I've wiped out all of them.
Nothing better than a football weekend of beer, whiskey (no coke straight shots) and
good eats. Not to mention firing up the Weber and throwing on a good portehouse steak too. Oh and I love to get hammered and wipe out a large bag of M&M's !!
Come on Friday !!! 8-)
gaba
Head Coach

We had something similar to that in college pagan. We called it a "no pride weekend." It wasn't about eating but it did occasionally involve the odd fatty.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Ormazd
MVP

gaba wrote:We had something similar to that in college pagan. We called it a "no pride weekend." It wasn't about eating but it did occasionally involve the odd fatty.
LOL
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

I love it all!!!!!

I'm very open to trying anything. We usually go out for Mexican (not taco bell) once a week. Order Chinese frequently (roast pork lo mien). I’m a huge pasta fan, spaghetti, lasagna, stuffed shells, and mustachollie.

Where I snobby is BBQ. I do A LOT of cooking on my grills and I’m very big on making my own rubs and sauces. The other BIG factor is what type of wood and what cooking method you use. Anyways, obviously that’s not that bad, what’s bad is my absolute need to eat and drink constantly while cooking said food. I may grill some sausage as an appetizer, fry some pickles, bear bread and dip, etc.

As for weird/embarrassing – The closest I come to that is not what I eat (Totino’s Combination Pizza Rolls) but what I like one them …Maulls BBQ Sauce.
Fumblebuck
MVP

Oh man, of the 3 vices that everyman is said to have at least one of : booze, food & women, mine is absolutely, without doubt food. I don't crave booze, and am to ugly for it to be women.

Just the thought of anything from a bakery and my stomach starts growling, mouth watering, etc.......real Pavlov dog stuff.

Other food that gets me pizza, PB&J, chili, baked potato soup from Tony Roma's.....I could go on and on.
UOK
Site Admin

I find there is no charge of weirdness for putting BBQ sauce on non-traditional BBQ sauce items. I worship at the bounty of Sweet Baby Rays (along with home-made bbqs and country bobs), and have abandoned ketchup as the primary dipping sauce for fries and other similar fare.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote: I worship at the bounty of Sweet Baby Rays
Amen! If I'm using a pre-bottled sauce (on anything but pizza roles, smoked sausage, or Italian sausage) it has to be Sweet Baby Rays.

Actually I have a good friend who owns/runs a Smokehouse and catering business and he uses it (Sweet Baby Rays) exclusively.
gaba
Head Coach

BBQ sauce (especially the spicy sauce from Rib Crib) goes on ANYTHING. Meat of course... fries and onion rings (forget ketchup altogether)... it's good on veggies too (especially green beans).

Speaking of green beans... they are my absolute favorite vegetable, if not favorite food period. Canned or frozen doesn't matter because neither holds a candle to garden fresh. When I was a kid, I'd mow all my grandmothers' yards. All three (including my great-grandmother) paid in food. My Mom's mother would make spaghetti for me. My Mom's grandmother would pay me in zucchini bread (it doesn't sound nearly as awesome as it was). My Dad's Mom... she had the big garden. She made the best fried chicken in the world (I've never had better anywhere) but I would mow her lawn and accept nothing but green beans in payment. Bags of them if the timing was right, but jars most of the time.

To this day, anytime someone wants a favor from me, they know that no matter how unpleasant the task, I can be bribed with food. Anyone that could figure out how to make my great-grandmother's zucchini bread would own me. Everyone's tried, the recipe is pretty much public in my family and the church I grew up in, but no one seems to be able to get it right. My wife's best friend did it perfect once, but can't figure out how it happened. She hasn't been able to duplicate the feat.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
makaur
Pro Bowler

Hey gaba-

Speaking of food, do they still have the Mexican Villa chain in Springfield?

That place was the friggin' bomb when I lived there. One burrito, about $4 or $5, and I'd be stuffed for the rest of the day. Damn I miss that place!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

food eh?

I have a few recipes to share ... an easy and tasty one is quick donuts

buy a tin of biscuits (NOT the flaky biscuits ... the flaky do not work well for this ... just a basic biscuit) ... Pillsbury's country style work well ... you also need peanut butter, double fudge cake frosting and some vegetable oil

separate the biscuits and lay them flat on a cutting board ... use a sturdy shot glass to make the donut holes in the middle of each ... set the holes aside

pour about 1/3 cup vegetable oil in a skillet and heat to medium ... sacrifice one of the holes to check to see if it's ready ... the dough should sizzle immediately ... once the oil is ready, put your biscuit/donuts in it ... fry, turning once, and place them on paper towels to drain and cool

after about 2-3 minutes, you should be able to top without your topping melting ... spread a nice layer of peanut butter, and top with the double fudge cake icing ... joila - Home Made Reese's Donuts ... devour with milk and/or some good vanilla ice cream
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

makaur wrote:Hey gaba-

That place was the friggin' bomb when I lived there. One burrito, about $4 or $5, and I'd be stuffed for the rest of the day. Damn I miss that place!
Yeah, there's like 10 of 'em now. Probably my favorite place to eat. Best salsa in the world. The prices have gone up a bit, but it's still cheaper than the competition and a lot better... and it's just trashy enough that I feel comfortable.

(What I mean by that is the place feels "lived in." They don't just shut down and remodel every time the paint fades a bit. Hell, some mexican places hire people to artificially age their restaurant so it looks like Mexican Villa looks naturally.)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
gaba
Head Coach

gaba wrote:
makaur wrote:Hey gaba-

Yeah, there's like 10 of 'em now. Probably my favorite place to eat. Best salsa in the world. The prices have gone up a bit, but it's still cheaper than the competition and a lot better... and it's just trashy enough that I feel comfortable.

(What I mean by that is the place feels "lived in." They don't just shut down and remodel every time the paint fades a bit. Hell, some mexican places hire people to artificially age their restaurant so it looks like Mexican Villa looks naturally.)

I might complain a lot about Springfield (not so much here but I do complain a lot) but between Mexican Villa and the cashew chicken on every corner, I don't think I could live anywhere else.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
MamaBear
Player of the Month

Damn. I'm freaking starving now!! Thanks! Now I guess I have to cook. Meatloaf sounds like a good idea Gaba. Not that I'll be eating the meatloaf - mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and a Morning Star griller. But the hubby will be happy with the meatloaf!

I agree that bbq sauce is a much better dip for fries than ketchup. I like to dip my fries from Burger King in their buffalo sauce - for some sick reason I like their chicken fries too. Weird since I'm a vegetarian.
G08
Hall of Famer

Oh and mashed potatoes. I fucking love mashed potatoes.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

gaba
Head Coach

I've always had trouble with meatloaf. I just CAN NOT get it to stick together. Then I found this recipe. It's quick and easy, but you still get to get your hands dirty. (That's the fun part, isn't it.) Works great.
2 lb. lean ground beef
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup water
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce, divided

HEAT oven to 375°F. Mix all ingredients except 1/4 cup sauce.
SHAPE into oval loaf in 13x9-inch baking dish; top with remaining sauce.
BAKE 1 hour or until cooked through (160ºF).

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/ea ... 57841.aspx
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
gaba
Head Coach

gaba wrote:I've always had trouble with meatloaf. I just CAN NOT get it to stick together. Then I found this recipe. It's quick and easy, but you still get to get your hands dirty. (That's the fun part, isn't it.) Works great.
2 lb. lean ground beef
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup water
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce, divided

HEAT oven to 375°F. Mix all ingredients except 1/4 cup sauce.
SHAPE into oval loaf in 13x9-inch baking dish; top with remaining sauce.
BAKE 1 hour or until cooked through (160ºF).

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/ea ... 57841.aspx

Add a big helping of mashed potatoes and some green beans and I'm a happy dude. (Real potatoes. It's worth the effort.)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
makaur
Pro Bowler

gaba wrote:I might complain a lot about Springfield (not so much here but I do complain a lot) but between Mexican Villa and the cashew chicken on every corner, I don't think I could live anywhere else.
A friend of mine from high school, well his family at least, owns a place on Battlefield Road. I know I know....there's several on that street, which one? To be honest, it's been almost 10 years since I was last in Sprinfield so I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'm positive that it's on Battlefield in between Glenstone and Campbell streets (closer to Campbell). Anyway, a bunch of us used to go there after school or late on Friday nights. We always ate all we wanted for like $2 or $3, depending on how fast or slow they were that day.

Of course, Mexican Villa was the other hang out. That and the Taco Bell on Sunshine close to Parkview. No one really liked going to that Taco Bell....it's just that since it was close to school, that's where everyone would go.

I do not miss living in Springfield, MO, but I couldn't agree with you more. If you're a fan of cashew chicken or cheap Mexican Villa....Springfield is the shizzle!
gaba
Head Coach

Silk Road is closed. It was a very sad day for me. There's a million places to get cashew chicken, but only a couple really good buffets. Silk Road was my favorite.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!