The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

MamaBear
Player of the Month

Interesting Gaba. My meatloaf is off the back of Lipton Onion Soup mix. I don't use stuffing, I use cracker crumbs. I don't use BBQ sauce I use ketchup...although, I'll have to ask my hubby if he wants me to try that! The eggs and the water is the same. I think it's the eggs that are supposed to make it stick together. Also, obviously, I use the onion mix. All I know is it smells great and I am THIS close to tasting it. ;)

Also, I know, I'm weird but I love boxed mashed potatoes! To me, it is definately NOT worth the extra trouble. Green beans (fresh) are great but MAN I love the mixture of corn (I am hooked on Green Giant Shoepeg canned corn with a ton of butter and salt) and mashed potatoes and brown gravy. As a working mom though, I am ALL about easy.
Pagan
MVP

Tasty Green Beans
Pan fry your green beans in garlic, butter and add soy sauce.

It will be your new fav.

pagan
gaba
Head Coach

Sounds awesome pagan. This thread has made me so hungry I'm gonna have to make some meatloaf and mashed potatoes tonight. I'll give those green beans a try.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:Tasty Green Beans
Pan fry your green beans in garlic, butter and add soy sauce.

It will be your new fav.

pagan
I do this myself ... but I use a Wok and sesame oil to fry them in ... very yummy
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Does anyone have an awesome recipe for mashed potatoes that taste better than the ones at, say, Friday's? Mine always turn out shitty :frustrated:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Nobody? Boris I'm looking in your direction...

gaba
Head Coach

Butter. The secret it butter. Lot of it. If you think you've added too much, add one more spoonful.

I always add garlic and a little Mrs. Dash. Shredded cheese is good too.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Pagan
MVP

I'd have to say that sour cream can make a big difference. Peppered mash potatoes with sour cream and the occasional onion or chives (butter of course) and youre in business.

pagan
gaba
Head Coach

I've never used sour cream, but I do use a lot of milk.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Does anyone have an awesome recipe for mashed potatoes that taste better than the ones at, say, Friday's? Mine always turn out shitty :frustrated:
G08 wrote:Nobody? Boris I'm looking in your direction...

sure ... here's mine

peel and cut into chunks about 3-6 spuds (depends on size) ... set them in water and bring to a boil

in a separate saucepan, melt 1/2 stick butter and add 2-3 cloves minced garlic and some white pepper ... keep bubbling on low heat (don't let the garlic burn) for about 10 minutes ... then add the other half stick of butter, cover, and turn off heat

drain your now cooked spuds and mash them in a bowl ... add the butter garlic mixture from the saucepan ... at this point, you have the option to add about 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese ... continue to mash ... add 1/4 cup Half and Half ... mash until the consistency you want, adding a bit more Half and Half as needed ... note - do NOT add too much liquid ... it is better to have the potato mixture too thick and slowly thinned with the Half and Half than to make them runny from too much liquid, from which there is no recovery ... salt and pepper to taste ... serve
George Carlin
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Actually boris there is a recovery for too much liquid. Just keep a small box of Instant potatoes on had and add a little until the liquid is absorbed. I have found that this does not affect the taste.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Rockbear99 wrote:Actually boris there is a recovery for too much liquid. Just keep a small box of Instant potatoes on had and add a little until the liquid is absorbed. I have found that this does not affect the taste.

yeah well, that is true ... but it is best for you to not f*ck up the real potatoes to the point where you have to add the flaked boxed ones to fix it

and I disagree ... it DOES add an extra taste ... kind of a papery after taste ... or maybe that's just me being overly critical due to the screw up
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

No, I agree boris. I don't mind the taste of instant mashed potatoes, but there is a HUGE difference. If I'm going to all the trouble of peeling and cutting 10lbs. of mashed potatoes (I always make enough for a few meals) I don't want to spoil it with flakes.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:No, I agree boris. I don't mind the taste of instant mashed potatoes, but there is a HUGE difference. If I'm going to all the trouble of peeling and cutting 10lbs. of mashed potatoes (I always make enough for a few meals) I don't want to spoil it with flakes.

I generally agree with you, but if I'm peeling and cutting 10 lbs of potatoes, I'm making twice baked potato salad.
Pagan
MVP

Good God. Twice baked are my favorite- but twice baked potato salad? I'm not sure thats legal.

You...Must...post....recipe. Image

pagan
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote: You...Must...post....recipe.
I will when I get home this evening
Pagan
MVP

:hungry: Twice baked potato salad.....
G08
Hall of Famer

Lol I think Pagan's waiting DD

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote::hungry: Twice baked potato salad.....
G08 wrote:Lol I think Pagan's waiting DD

well, I can give you my version

first off, my twice baked potatoes are made so the skins are to be eaten too ... and it includes bacon, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese

the key to re-using these for a potato salad is not over-doing it spice wise ... keep in mind what spices and ingredients are already in there ... this recipe is for 4 left over halves of the twice baked spuds

I chop the twice baked spuds, which end up sort of like cold mashed potatoes to be honest ... put them in a bowl ... add 2 stalks of peeled and chopped celery ... add 1 or 2 chopped hard boiled eggs ... add 1 chopped dill pickle ... I like mine zesty so add 1 chopped fresh jalapeno pepper (more than 1 if I know the wife isn't going to want any) ... 1 tablespoon white vinegar ... 1 tablespoon zesty Italian salad dressing ... 1 teaspoon of spicy brown mustard ... 3 tablespoons mayonnaise ... mix well ... serve in bowl and top with a healthy sprinkle of paprika
George Carlin
swami
Journeyman

I wish I had more time to cook. I love food so much... I would be obese if I didn't swim.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

My version.......

Best with Red Potatoes. 5 lbs.

Peal most of the potatoes (leave the skin on a few for presentation).

Chop and boil until tender (NOT TOO SOFT)

Chill .

While potatoes are chilling in a separate bowl combine 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1 cup of sourcream, 1 packet of ranch dressing, and chopped green onion. You can add additional ranch dressing to taste (I do).

Fry a pound of bacon until crisp. Crumble bacon and sprinkle bacon and shredded cheddar cheese into potatoes and you stir in the mix from above.

Cover the top with bacon, cheese, and green onions for presentation and refrigerate.

Best if made a day before or at least a few hours.

NOTE: the additional Ranch dressing not only adds to the flavor but makes it creamer. If you feel it’s too much ranch flavor and some additional Mayonnaise and Sour Cream to get the proper consistency.

I love to serve this us as a side with a smoked pork shoulder along with my homemade baked beans and English muffin garlic bread.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:My version.......

Best with Red Potatoes. 5 lbs.

Peal most of the potatoes (leave the skin on a few for presentation).

Chop and boil until tender (NOT TOO SOFT)

Chill .

While potatoes are chilling in a separate bowl combine 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1 cup of sourcream, 1 packet of ranch dressing, and chopped green onion. You can add additional ranch dressing to taste (I do).

Fry a pound of bacon until crisp. Crumble bacon and sprinkle bacon and shredded cheddar cheese into potatoes and you stir in the mix from above.

Cover the top with bacon, cheese, and green onions for presentation and refrigerate.

Best if made a day before or at least a few hours.

NOTE: the additional Ranch dressing not only adds to the flavor but makes it creamer. If you feel it’s too much ranch flavor and some additional Mayonnaise and Sour Cream to get the proper consistency.

I love to serve this us as a side with a smoked pork shoulder along with my homemade baked beans and English muffin garlic bread.

sounds tasty

I guess I misunderstood his question though ... I thought the recipe request was how to make potato salad from leftover twice baked spuds ... and I am a leftovers master according to the wife, and that's what I rolled with
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
I guess I misunderstood his question though ... I thought the recipe request was how to make potato salad from leftover twice baked spuds ... and I am a leftovers master according to the wife, and that's what I rolled with
And it sounds great. I just can't comprehend the idea of 'left over' twice baked potatoes.
swami
Journeyman

Do any of you guys like beans? I cannot get enough black beans every time I go home. You can mash them and eat them with tortillas, chips, or bread or you can eat them whole with rice. They're also healthy. Here's a recipe for frijoles volteados (not mine):

tbihome.org/cgi-bin/recipe.pl?read=473

I was in Guatemala this summer for about a week and I think I ate beans and eggs for almost every meal.
Pagan
MVP

Thanx to Boris and DD for the 2 x baked potato salad!!!

pagan
FranktheTank
Player of the Month

swami wrote:Do any of you guys like beans? I cannot get enough black beans every time I go home. You can mash them and eat them with tortillas, chips, or bread or you can eat them whole with rice. They're also healthy. Here's a recipe for frijoles volteados (not mine):

tbihome.org/cgi-bin/recipe.pl?read=473

I was in Guatemala this summer for about a week and I think I ate beans and eggs for almost every meal.
I am also a fan of black beans. I usually eat them whole with rice and chicken or fish.
I gotta try that recipe.
gaba
Head Coach

I love black beans. My favorite bean. Way more distinctive flavor than most beans.

I'm also a huge fan of beans and cornbread. Any beans, not just the traditional pinto beans. You can usually find an 8, 10, or 12 bean mix that's pretty good. Black eyed peas are pretty awesome too.

When I was in college, the fraternity steward (the guy in charge of helping the cook come up with the menu and buy the food) was almost impeached over a meal of hamhock and beans with cornbread. I guess all those city boys didn't love it like he did. We had a pot about the size of a 5-gallon bucket FULL of beans and a couple trays of cornbread. He and I were the only ones that would eat it and we had it at every meal for a week. I was in heaven because I LOVE that sh*t, but my roommates hated me for a long time.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Spiced Pig ( a little different but damn good)

Ingredients:

1 - 3 to 4 lb pork tenderloin

Glaze
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup dried apples ( I use fresh)

For Loin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup apple jelly
1/4 cup honey

For glaze:
In saucepan, combine honey, maple syrup and cinnamon. Heat thru. Add apples and cook uncovered over med-low heat for 10 min., stirring occasionally. Set aside

Loin prep:

Trim off fat. Cut into loin, not thru, like a hot dog bun (or butterfly), thelength of the loin. spread open. Spread glaze over the loin and close it up (fold over).

Combine chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Rub over the outside of loin.

In a small saucepan, melt apple jelly and honey. This is used to baste the meat during the last 10 minutes of cooking

In a covered grill (charcoal is what I prefer), grill the meat over indirect heat ( I use a drip pan to catch droppings). Grill for 1/2 to 2 hrs (depending heat. Initial time I did this recipe it took only 45 minutes, the second time it took a little over an hour. meat thermometer (if used) should register 160 degrees.
gaba
Head Coach

Mmmm... I have everything but the apple jelly. Might have to make a run tomorrow morning.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

BUUUUURRRRRRP errrr I mean bump