Star Trek - a solid grade A movie

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the wife and I saw it on Sunday and we both loved it ... it has enough references to things from the original series to give it relevance, but also can fly on its own merit

if you are a fan of Star Trek (the original series), then you will love and appreciate this modernized effort

I grew up watching the original show, mesmerized by what at the time was cutting edge stuff ... I also liked the fact they would take the time to have some fun with the whole thing (The Trouble With Tribbles was always one of my favorite episodes) ... so I guess I was a Trekkie from the get-go, though not a hard core one to the point of needing to be in uniform or character

this updated take, which is a "pre-quel" I suppose since you get to see the origins of all the main characters, pays homage and honor to the quirks of the original show while actually blazing new paths of its own ... well done in both dialogue and character development ... well paced story telling, which flows evenly from beginning to end .... nice graphics ... CGI critters a positive addition rather than a "wtf?" moment ... I suppose if I really analyzed the entire thing I could pick out flaws, but I choose not to ... I accept the story as is and accept beng happily entertained from start to finish

the bad guys were bad, but you learned why without a flow killing monologue ... the good guys were good, and you saw how they became who they are ... there was not 1 moment throughout the entire movie where I sat and wondered "why the hell are they going through this? get on with it ..." ... and the story, as told, gives the movie makers the freedom to break away if they want rather than simply do a continuing telling of the older story, and be able to do it in a way that true fans will be able to appreciate

a solid A indeed and very well worth seeing in a good theater
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

I'm planning on seeing it this weekend. I've heard nothing but good things about it so far.
makaur
Pro Bowler

I'm waiting for DVD. I want to see it, but I was never a "Trekky" so the interest just isn't there. I've heard nothing but great reviews about it though.

No, the movies I'll shell out $$$ to see this weekend will be Angels & Demons and Terminator Salvation.
UOK
Site Admin

I gave it a C. Entertaining, not a huge fan of the source material, but it was a bit too...modernized for me, I guess? I'm not much of a trekkie but there was a lot of camp, a lot more than I expected, but I enjoyed what I saw.
gaba
Head Coach

After all the series they've done since the original, to do this with the same look and feel of the original would just be a mistake. Even the movies based on the original hugely improved on this. It's been 40 years since the original series. Our expectations have changed. What seemed futuristic back then, is just everyday tech today. To do a reboot right (and that's what this is, no matter how many stupid time-travel tricks they try to play) you've got to "modernize" it, or it'd just suck.

I grew up with The Next Generation. I love the shows but I've never considered them sacred, so I'm fine with a reboot. As long as they don't go Dukes of Hazzard on me, and completely miss the point of the show, I'll probably love it. It's definitely at the top of my list right now. Unfortunately, wifey bought a car she can't afford so I'm stuck at home for a while. I'll probably see it on video.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!