Roster Moves

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RunningVaccs
Rookie

Mikefive wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:Just putting an idea out there, is drafting a QB on day two a bad idea to have a developmental backup?
Once we've "arrived", sure. But we haven't. We need those R2 and R3 picks to fill our roster with better starters, not to invest in backups. There are enough Mark Sanchez/Brian Hoyer types available to buy backups in the short term.

If a prospect really dropped, would you be OK with taking someone like Mayfield or Darnold if they somehow made it to the Bears pick in rd 2? It would be hard to pass up but harder to take in my mind. Too many holes on the roster, and you'd be stuck with a likely QB controversy. What could you unload someone like that for in a trade down the line anyway?
Adipost
MVP

RunningVaccs wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:Just putting an idea out there, is drafting a QB on day two a bad idea to have a developmental backup?
Once we've "arrived", sure. But we haven't. We need those R2 and R3 picks to fill our roster with better starters, not to invest in backups. There are enough Mark Sanchez/Brian Hoyer types available to buy backups in the short term.

If a prospect really dropped, would you be OK with taking someone like Mayfield or Darnold if they somehow made it to the Bears pick in rd 2? It would be hard to pass up but harder to take in my mind. Too many holes on the roster, and you'd be stuck with a likely QB controversy. What could you unload someone like that for in a trade down the line anyway?
No
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RunningVaccs wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

I think you hit on the answer with two words bolded above. TRADE DOWN. Somebody may really like/need a QB at our pick and trade their 2 and a 2 next year or something like that to move up. In this mock says Buffalo has 48 and 60. That's a bit steep, but if you need a QB and didn't get one in R1....

We've needed more picks and have been trading up a lot in R1. Might be time to trade back for more, especially with a new HC who wants his guys.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Bears kept the conditional Inman pick. They got it if he caught 25 passes. He caught 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:The Bears kept the conditional Inman pick. They got it if he caught 25 passes. He caught 23.

Really???
Wow.
Pace really got some favorable terms on that one.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Moriarty wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:The Bears kept the conditional Inman pick. They got it if he caught 25 passes. He caught 23.

Really???
Wow.
Yeah, it’s in this article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... ssion=true
MoFugger
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

Really???
Wow.
Yeah, it’s in this article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... ssion=true
That was like, our first or second best wide receiver.
Let's all think about that for a moment

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Brad Biggs @BradBiggs 16minutes ago

#Bears signed WR Tanner Gentry to a reserve/future contract.

i assume we're locking him up so we can interview him for the head coach vacancy.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Rich Campbell @Rich_Campbell

Locker cleanout day at Halas Hall allows us to chat with injured Bears who haven’t spoken publicly.
OLB Leonard Floyd (right knee) says he’s unsure whether he’ll be recovered for the offseason program in April.
WR Cam Meredith (left knee) says he’ll be back for training camp.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Chris Emma @CEmma670

Kyle Fuller is planning to speak soon with his family and agent about free agency. Said he’s happy in Chicago and would be open to re-joining the Bears.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I imagine Fuller will be asking for a king's ransom.

The signing of Gentry makes the Bears job that much more in demand.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Fuller is in line for a nice payday. As long as he’s not looking for that crazy game changer CB money I’d like to see him back.
malk
Head Coach

I really want to see Fuller back but it can't be for top money, he's still a project. Good CB money, sure, top, not so much.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I really want to see Fuller back but it can't be for top money, he's still a project. Good CB money, sure, top, not so much.
So what is that? 4yr/$40m with $24M guaranteed?
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
malk wrote:I really want to see Fuller back but it can't be for top money, he's still a project. Good CB money, sure, top, not so much.
Somewhere in that neighborhood, yeah.
RunningVaccs
Rookie

Otis Day wrote:I imagine Fuller will be asking for a king's ransom.

The signing of Gentry makes the Bears job that much more in demand.
In a day that already gave me the firing of John Fox, you sir, have exceeded even that lofty high water mark. Well done.
RunningVaccs
Rookie

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
If Pace thinks they're ready to go to the playoffs next season, it would not surprise me one bit if the numbers for a Fuller extension are closer to 30 mil guaranteed. Overpaying for sure, but that makes for one less spot to fill and keeps home grown guys on hand. I really expect him to starting spending and trying to get longer contracts in 2018.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
That sounds about what I suggested in a previous thread. Checking now though, he's 2nd in passed defended this year. Sure you want to see more of those turn into interceptions but I'd rather better coverage and fewer interceptions than poor coverage and a few more splash plays.

Fuller is on the cusp of breaking out, we might need to do pretty much whatever it takes and if that's Darius Slay money...

Still salty that we aren't considering adding him to Bouye :(
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Fuller deserves some cash sure. Give him a modest guaranteed 1st year followed by years with real good incentives and roster bonuses. He keeps producing he gets paid, and we both win.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
ysleblanc
MVP

what is the point of nickel and diming their own FA's then piss money up the walls on guys like Cooper, Wheaton, Glennon etc?

Fuller showed he could do the job when healthy, pay the man!

we did the same with Jeffery, now we have to go overpay for a WR to give Trubisky a big outside target...

Spend the boatloads of cap room on guys that have performed in this system...
wab
Mod

I have absolutely no problem overpaying for Fuller. None.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I have absolutely no problem overpaying for Fuller. None.
i think too, and i'll scream this all day every day, to create the atmosphere and the locker room that we're trying to create, you reward these draft picks for working their butts off.

you let fuller walk after coming back from injuries and having the year he's having, you tell the whole locker room "keep fighting, you can play for a real team when you become a FA."
malk
Head Coach

There's overpaying and overpaying...

My previous post said he could get $48m over 4 years (Slay's deal). I think that'd constitute looking after your own players!

G08
Hall of Famer

I dunno man... career years in contract years scare me.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:I dunno man... career years in contract years scare me.
Doesn't feel like that kind of year to me, more of a finally they're letting me play year.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
Doesn't feel like that kind of year to me, more of a finally they're letting me play year.
Huh? When did he NOT play other than when he was injured?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
malk wrote:
Huh? When did he NOT play other than when he was injured?
The back end of that injury looked pretty suspect to me. Maybe I'm off base but there was a doghouse vibe last year.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I have absolutely no problem overpaying for Fuller. None.
Begrudgingly I agree with you.

I still would be very happy drafting McFadden in round 1.