WAB Mock Draft - Super Bowl Edition

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

With the SB coming up and the underclassmen all declared, I figured I'd put together a 4 rounder. I'll post another one after the combine.

Round 1
1. Denver f/CLE* : Josh Rosen QB UCLA
Denver may go the FA route, if not, they could try and move up to get their pick of the QB litter. It would take a lot, probably a 1 and two this year and next...maybe more. Cleveland may have their eyes set on a veteran QB to hold things down for a while so they can figure out if Kizer is worth anything.

2. New York Giants : Sam Darnold QB Southern California
Darnold sits behind Eli for a year. Pat Shurmur will be pleased.

3. Indianapolis : Bradley Chubb DE NC State
Look for this pick to be auctioned off come draft day. If they stay, they need a game changer, and Chubb is that.

4. Cleveland f/HOU : Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
Just like when John Dorsey watched Eric Fisher rise up the draft boards from nowhere, he’ll see the same thing in O’Neill.

5. Cleveland f/DEN* : Saquon Barkley RB Penn State
This might be a luxury pick, but let’s not pretend he isn’t better than what they currently have on the roster.

6. New York Jets : Minkah Fitzpatrick CB Alabama
The Jets have taken a swing at a lot of QB’s in the draft recently and none have worked out, so I see them going the veteran route. Fitzpatrick gives them some length on the outside.

7. Tampa Bay : Vita Vea DT Washington
Vea is a MASSIVE man that can move really well for his size. Gerald McCoy is slowing down and could use a little help next to him inside.

8. Chicago : Tremaine Edmunds OLB Virginia Tech
You may not know a lot about Edmunds right now, but you will when draft day rolls around. With McPhee, Young, and Houston almost certain to be let go, the Bears could have a dire need opposite Leonard Floyd. He’s similar to Floyd in a lot of ways. VA Tech lists him as an inside linebacker, but he plays all over the place. He’s got plenty of length to play outside, but needs to add a little weight. Smooth athlete, knows where the ball is, gets off blocks well and attacks downhill.

9. San Francisco : Quenton Nelson OG Notre Dame
Nelson is probably the best overall player in the draft. He can play any spot on the offensive line.

10. Oakland : Roquan Smith ILB Georgia
It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Smith is the first defensive player off the board. With the Raiders transitioning back to a more traditional 4-3, Smith will fill a huge hole.

11. Miami : Marcus Davenport DE UTSA
The Dolphins could use some help on both lines and they would LOVE to see Nelson here, but he’s not so they take a freak of nature that can get after the QB.

12. Cincinnati : Orlando Brown OT Oklahoma
I think they are still holding out hope that Cedric Ogbuehi will develop into a legitimate left tackle, but they need a fall back plan. At worst Brown can line up on the right.

13. Washington : Josh Allen QB Wyoming
The will they-won’t they offseason dance with Kirk Cousins has to stop sometime right? I think he ends up elsewhere, so that leaves a hole in Washington. Allen is raw, but he has the best tools of any QB in this draft.

14. Green Bay : Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
Randall Cobb is probably a cap casualty and Jordy Nelson is on the back side of his career. Ridley is one of the best route runners in the draft, something the Packers offense depends on.

15. Arizona : Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
They need a WR, and there will be veteran QB’s out there to pick from, but at some point they have to take a QB of the future. Jackson is an exciting prospect, and new HC Steven Wilks (rumored) has seen exactly what an athletic QB is capable of.

16. Baltimore : Derwin James SS Florida State
With the exception of Marlon Humphrey, that secondary is trash. James is a bit overrated, but he’s an upgrade over Tony Jefferson and should add to what used to be a feared defense.

17. Los Angeles Chargers : Connor Williams OT Texas
I’ve thought QB here for a while, but this might not be the year to try and find one early, especially with Phillip Rivers still playing relatively well. Williams is one of the best pure pass blockers in the draft and could push for time at either tackle position.

18. Seattle : Joshua Jackson CB Iowa
I think it’s clear that the secondary isn’t what it used to be. Jackson would go a long way towards making it better.

19. Dallas : Courtland Sutton WR Southern Methodist
On the surface, WR doesn’t seem like a need, but the lack of explosive plays through the air tell a different story. Sutton is a great fit, and basically just has to drive across town.

20. Detroit : Derrius Guice RB LSU
I don’t think there’s a worse overall running game in the NFL. Guice isn’t flashy, but he’s productive.

21. Buffalo : Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma State
I don’t know why Rudolph isn’t getting more consideration as the top QB in the draft. He’s big, mobile, and can run a pro offense.

22. Buffalo f/KC : Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame
Many are looking at McGlinchey as a RT, and that’s probably what he’d play in Buffalo.

23. Los Angeles Rams : Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma
A dynamic TE would make this offense that much more scary.

24. Carolina : Deontay Burnett WR Southern California
This offense was at it’s best when they had Ted Ginn and his speed on the outside. Burnett is a very similar player.

25. Tennessee : Denzel Ward CB Ohio State
Realistically Ward shouldn’t be here, but his size may drop him a little.

26. Atlanta : Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
Payne in the middle with Grady Jarrett would be insane. If Payne is here, they should snatch him.

27. New Orleans : Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
I think Brees stays in New Orleans, but the fit with Mayfield is just too perfect.

28. Pittsburgh : Rashaan Evans ILB Alabama
Ryan Shazier was one of the best LB’s in football, but I’m not sure there will be much of a drop-off with Evans.

29. Jacksonville : Billy Price C Ohio State
The identity of the Jags is their running game, and the middle of that line is important. Brandon Linder has played well since moving to center, but he’s a better guard and had to move out of desperation.

30. Minnesota : Taven Bryan DT Florida
It’s hard to find holes in the Vikings roster…QB could be one of them, but that’s TBD. Bryan is just too good of a value here and offers a ton of versatility.

31. Philadelphia : Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
Hurst is a great value at this point in the draft and is a fantastic fit for the Eagles wide-nine defense.

32. New England : Dalton Risner OT Kansas State
If watching Brady pull himself off the ground after every snap in the AFC Championship game didn’t tell everyone that a pass protector was needed, nothing will.

Round 2
33. Kansas City f/CLE* : Harold Landry DE/LB Boston College
* This pick goes to KC for Alex Smith

34. New York Giants : Kolton Miller OT UCLA
35. Cleveland f/HOU : James Washington WR Oklahoma State
36. Indianapolis : Will Hernandez OG Texas-El Paso
37. New York Jets : Martinas Rankin OT Mississippi State
38. Tampa Bay : Josh Adams RB Notre Dame

39. Chicago : Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M
It’s hard to know what to make of the Bears WR group. They have guys…but they need help. Kirk is a tireless worker, explosive, and runs good routes. His stock is all over the place but I think he has the makeup of a #1 receiver in the NFL.

40. Cleveland f/DEN* : Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
41. Oakland : Arden Key DE LSU
42. Miami : Frank Ragnow OG Arkansas
43. New England f/SF : Riley Ferguson QB Memphis
44. Washington : Tarvarus McFadden CB Florida State
45. Green Bay : Dorance Armstrong Jr. OLB Kansas
46. Cincinnati : Kameron Kelly CB San Diego State
47. Arizona : Harrison Phillips DT Stanford
48. Los Angeles Chargers : Malik Jefferson OLB Texas
49. New York Jets f/SEA : Anthony Miller WR Memphis
50. Dallas : B.J. Hill DT NC State
51. Detroit : Sam Hubbard DE Ohio State
52. Baltimore : Isaiah Wynn OG Georgia
53. Buffalo : D.J. Moore WR Maryland
54. Kansas City : Christian Sam ILB Arizona State
55. Buffalo f/LAR : Justin Lawler DE Southern Methodist
56. Carolina : Ronald Jones II RB Southern California
57. Tennessee : Ian Thomas TE Indiana
58. Atlanta : Cedrick Wilson WR Boise State
59. San Francisco f/NO : Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame
60. Pittsburgh : Braden Smith OG Auburn
61. Jacksonville : Chukwuma Okorafor OT Western Michigan
62. Minnesota : Marcell Ateman WR Oklahoma State
63. Cleveland f/PHI : DeShon Elliott SS Texas
64. New England : Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado

Round 3
65. Cleveland : Derrick Nnadi DT Florida State
66. New York Giants : Nick Chubb RB Georgia
67. Indianapolis : Dorian O'Daniel OLB Clemson
68. Houston : Jamarco Jones OT Ohio State
69. Tampa Bay : Armani Watts FS Texas A&M
70. San Francisco f/CHI : Tyrell Crosby OT Oregon
71. Denver : Andrew Brown DE Virginia
72. New York Jets : Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia
73. Miami : Sony Michel RB Georgia
74. San Francisco : Marcell Frazier DE Missouri
75. Oakland : Siran Neal CB Jacksonville State
76. Green Bay : Ross Pierschbacher OG Alabama
77. Cincinnati : Tyquan Lewis DE Ohio State
78. Washington : Jeff Holland OLB Auburn
79. Arizona : Chad Thomas DE Miami (Fla.)
80. Houston f/SEA : Jaylen Samuels TE NC State
81. Dallas : Levi Wallace CB Alabama
82. Detroit : Michael Gallup WR Colorado State
83. Baltimore : Ogbonnia Okoronkwo OLB Oklahoma
84. Los Angeles Chargers : Quenton Meeks CB Stanford
85. Carolina f/BUF : Joseph Noteboom OT TCU
86. Kansas City : Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech
87. Los Angeles Rams : Davin Bellamy OLB Georgia
88. Carolina : Duke Ejiofor DE Wake Forest
89. Tennessee : James Daniels C Iowa
90. Atlanta : Donte Jackson CB LSU
91. New Orleans : Josh Sweat DE Florida State
92. Pittsburgh : Luke Falk QB Washington State
93. Jacksonville : Logan Woodside QB Toledo
94. Minnesota : Dontavius Russell DT Auburn
95. Buffalo f/PHI : Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota State
96. New England : Hercules Mata'afa OLB Washington State

Round 4
97. Cleveland : Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
98. New York Giants : Micah Kiser ILB Virginia
99. Houston : Deon Cain WR Clemson
100. Indianapolis : Mike Hughes CB UCF

101. Chicago : Will Richardson OT NC State
If the Bears can score Richardson in the 4th round, they should be thrilled. Even though he’s strictly a right tackle in the NFL, his college production was off the charts last season when he didn’t allow a single sack or pressure in 934 offensive snaps. He’s a bit of a project and needs to prove he can stay in shape and convince teams that his suspension in 2015 was an outlier.

102. Denver : Kerryon Johnson RB Auburn
103. New York Jets : Akrum Wadley RB Iowa
104. Tampa Bay : Coleman Shelton C Washington
105. Denver f/SF : Trevon Young DE Louisville
106. Oakland : Dante Pettis WR Washington
107. Miami : Luke Falk QB Washington State
108. Cincinnati : Tegray Scales OLB Indiana
109. Washington : Rasheem Green DE Southern California
110. Green Bay : Troy Fumagalli TE Wisconsin

111. Chicago f/AZ : Trenton Thompson DT Georgia
Once one of the top recruits in the nation, Thompson turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. Even though he didn’t dominate the way many thought, he was a part of an excellent defensive front for Georgia. Thompson is agile for his size (6’4 295) with natural length and surprising speed. He fits really well in the Bears defense at the 5T. He has the talent to push Bullard for a starting spot early.

112. Dallas : Holton Hill CB Texas
113. Detroit : D.J. Reed CB Kansas State
114. Baltimore : Tre'Quan Smith WR UCF
115. Los Angeles Chargers : Ronnie Harrison SS Alabama
116. Seattle : Brian Allen C Michigan State
117. Buffalo : Marcus Allen FS Penn State
118. Kansas City : Jordan Whitehead SS Pittsburgh
119. Los Angeles Rams : Kellen Soulek, DE, South Dakota State
120. Cleveland f/CAR : Josey Jewell ILB Iowa
121. Tennessee : Matthew Thomas OLB Florida State
122. Atlanta : Drew Bailey DE Louisville
123. New Orleans : Auden Tate WR Florida State
124. San Francisco f/PIT : Rashaad Penny RB San Diego State
125. Jacksonville : Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina
126. Miami f/PHI (MIN) : Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico State
127. Philadelphia : Uchenna Nwosu OLB Southern California
128. Philadelphia f/NE : Kalen Ballage RB Arizona State

Rest of the Bears picks:
Round 5 - Sam Jones OG Arizona State
Jones is an excellent pass protector on the interior – did not give up a sack or a quarterback hit for the entire season. Has excellent footwork and bend. Good run blocker but needs to add a little bulk and lower body strength. One of my favorite draft sleepers and a potential starter down the road.

Round 6 - Cameron Smith ILB Southern California
Smith is an instinctive LB who is very similar to Kwiatkoski. but a better athlete. Rangy and smart, he spends a lot of time in the film room. He’s effective when blitzing and is always around the football. He could make a living on special teams and passing downs for a while before developing into an every down LB.

Round 7 - Jaylen Dunlap CB Illinois
Dunlap is the kind of long corner that the Bears seem to prefer. Even though he’s a good combination of size and speed, he probably doesn’t play as fast as he times. More of a press corner, struggles a bit in off coverage. A little tight in his movements and hasn’t proven to be a ballhawk. Good depth/developmental guy that might turn out to be a better pro than college player.
G08
Hall of Famer

I love it man, pass rusher in the first, talented WR in the second, and then you use the mid rounds to address positions where you can find value (OT, DT, ILB, CB). My favorite one of yours for this draft!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm not certain where Tremaine Edwards fits, but he certainly fits the "traits" theme of Ryan Pace first round picks. Nice job, wab.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I love it man, pass rusher in the first, talented WR in the second, and then you use the mid rounds to address positions where you can find value (OT, DT, ILB, CB). My favorite one of yours for this draft!
Yeah, I like the way this one fell a lot. I think Edmunds is gonna fly up boards.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:I love it man, pass rusher in the first, talented WR in the second, and then you use the mid rounds to address positions where you can find value (OT, DT, ILB, CB). My favorite one of yours for this draft!
Yeah, I like the way this one fell a lot. I think Edmunds is gonna fly up boards.
I think pass rusher is the move there, and watching this kid's athleticism/fluidity I think Fangio would be salivating to have both Floyd and Edmunds at his disposal. Curious to see his weight, arm length and dash/cone.

I like DJ Moore a ton in round 2 as well if Kirk goes ahead of our pick.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I love reading wab's drafts. This guy is detailed.

The OLB pick at #8 makes sense as does the WR in round 2.

Walking away from Smith at 8 would be hard, but I can see the allure of a pass rusher.

I would have a hard time not drafting Tarvarus McFadden in round 2 of this draft over Kirk, but the argument for WR and BPA here is obvious.

Interesting on how both Allen and Jackson were on the board at #8, but Buffalo does not move up.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:
I think pass rusher is the move there, and watching this kid's athleticism/fluidity I think Fangio would be salivating to have both Floyd and Edmunds at his disposal. Curious to see his weight, arm length and dash/cone.

I like DJ Moore a ton in round 2 as well if Kirk goes ahead of our pick.
It all really depends on what happens at corner.

But yeah, I’ve kinda been keeping Edmunds in my back pocket as the Bears pick but I think the word is about to get out on him.

He’s listed at 6’5 249. If he is close to that I think he’ll be fine. I absolutely LOVE how he attacks and is always moving downhill/towards the ball.

WR could go a ton of ways. But it’s clear they need one or two more players there.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I thought Edmunds played ILB?
wab
Mod

bearsfaninaz wrote:I thought Edmunds played ILB?
He played ILB, OLB, CB, DE... he’d be an OLB with the Bears.
Adipost
MVP

This would be perfect.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Love it but I'd replace Edmunds with Landry in R1. I have him rated higher than Edmunds.
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

It's an interesting thought. He and Floyd are both skinny, athletic guys. I think Edwards could be better then Floyd. He is just as athletic, and has a tad more physicality.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:It's an interesting thought. He and Floyd are both skinny, athletic guys. I think Edwards could be better then Floyd. He is just as athletic, and has a tad more physicality.
I feel the same. I think Edwards and Floyd are your rushers...bring back Acho to be that outside thumper type that Fangio likes. Jones and Irving are your tweeners.

I just don't love what's going to be available in FA at outside LB. Maybe if Bruce Irvin gets let go, or if you think Kony Ealy can stay at OLB... I just don't know. Trent Murphy has been hurt. Barkevious Mingo never lived up to the hype. Maybe Connor Barwin has a little left in the tank, but is he better than Lamarr Houston or Willie Young? I like Devon Kennard a lot...but he's pretty similar to Jones/Irving and I don't know if he gets to FA. Akeem Ayers?

I just think you can get a starter at OLB in this draft somewhere in the first 3-4 rounds. Edmunds is obviously my favorite, but there's also Harold Landry, Dorance Armstrong, Justin Lawler, Lorenzo Carter, Chad Thomas, Davin Bellamy, Jaylon Ferguson, James Hearns, and Matthew Thomas.

It's not a draft full of "elite" pass rushers, but all those guys are talented enough to be taken somewhere in rounds 1-4.
malk
Head Coach

I could definitely see Houston coming back. In 2015 and 2017 he got 8 and 5 sacks whilst playing spot duty in Fangio's scheme. His play this year shows he's over his 2016 injury and, at 31 when the next season starts, he won't be commanding big money.

Offer him a contract that protects the team in case of injury and whack him back in the rotation. There aren't many better options in FA and unless we break the bank it's still going to be a major need, the #1 for me, in the draft.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

I think Houston is probably the best pure 3-4 LB the Bears have, but I also think he and Acho are pretty much the same guy. Acho is younger, but might want more money than the Bears will give him to be a backup. Houston has already made his money, but he might want to show another team that he can still play and get one final big(ish) deal.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. I'm honestly more concerned with the outcomes of the LB and CB positions than I am WR.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I think Houston is probably the best pure 3-4 LB the Bears have, but I also think he and Acho are pretty much the same guy.
Houston has 5 sacks in his last 10 games. Acho has 5 sacks in his last 47.
I'm not seeing the sameness.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

There’s more to it than sacks...
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote:There’s more to it than sacks...
There is, but right now we don't have an edge rusher that is really getting sacks either. It's nice to put consistent pressure and play the run well, but it's also nicer when you're able to close the deal and get the QB to the ground. If Floyd can stay healthy for all 16 games, I think he can be that guy but we don't have much else behind him.

McPhee can't be counted on. Acho is a role player. Houston is a decent backup to keep around. Willie Young isn't so Young anymore and he's always been sort of an awkward fit at 34 OLB anyways. We need to get younger and more talented for sure. Personally, I am really high on Harold Landry. I think he's being completely overlooked in this draft. Not many people talk about him. He can play the run, he can rush the passer and is an ideal scheme fit at 34 OLB IMO.
Never Die Easy
SC Bear
Journeyman

IMO when you invest as much as you did in Trubisky, you go OL particularly if a generational player like Nelson is there and you just added his college position coach to tour staff. I thought you nailed it last time
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Edmunds is an impressive kid. The speed, at his size, is intoxicating. The problem is, we are about ready to start trying to compete in the NFC North. We had, by all accounts, a top 10 defense last year. We really need to start focusing on key piece on the offense. I realize its not the sexy pick, but if the OG Nelson is there at #8, I think you have to take him. Long's health is an unknown, Sitton is aging fast, and Morgan is still a raw project. Nelson is as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to find on the OL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Edmunds is an impressive kid. The speed, at his size, is intoxicating. The problem is, we are about ready to start trying to compete in the NFC North. We had, by all accounts, a top 10 defense last year. We really need to start focusing on key piece on the offense. I realize its not the sexy pick, but if the OG Nelson is there at #8, I think you have to take him. Long's health is an unknown, Sitton is aging fast, and Morgan is still a raw project. Nelson is as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to find on the OL.
I don't think high picks need to be invested on the OL (save for LT, maybe) in order to field a successful team:

Let's look at the Super Bowl as an example, left to right New England Patriots then the Philadelphia Eagles:

Undrafted

(123.6 average)

Undrafted

(120.8 average)

For this lazy analysis I'm going to consider an undrafted pick to be the first one after the draft ended, which will be pick #254. The average of the 2017 NFC and AFC Champions offensive line is pick: 122.2, which is the bottom of the 4th round.

wab
Mod

Part of the reason Heistand was hired was to develop talent on the OL. Just like he developed Nelson and McGlinchey into top 15 picks. I'm with G08...Heistand is here to coach 3rd-6th round guys into starting level players.

I'm a ND homer, so I'd have ZERO problems with either of those guys on the Bears...but I don't think the have to be drafted just because the Bears hired their position coach.
G08
Hall of Famer

Exactly. Find hard-working dudes that hit your athletic metrics (height/weight/arm length, agility) and just beat them to death with technique.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Edmunds is an impressive kid. The speed, at his size, is intoxicating. The problem is, we are about ready to start trying to compete in the NFC North. We had, by all accounts, a top 10 defense last year. We really need to start focusing on key piece on the offense. I realize its not the sexy pick, but if the OG Nelson is there at #8, I think you have to take him. Long's health is an unknown, Sitton is aging fast, and Morgan is still a raw project. Nelson is as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to find on the OL.
I don't think high picks need to be invested on the OL (save for LT, maybe) in order to field a successful team:

Let's look at the Super Bowl as an example, left to right New England Patriots then the Philadelphia Eagles:

Undrafted

(123.6 average)

Undrafted

(120.8 average)

For this lazy analysis I'm going to consider an undrafted pick to be the first one after the draft ended, which will be pick #254. The average of the 2017 NFC and AFC Champions offensive line is pick: 122.2, which is the bottom of the 4th round.

A couple other useful things you can see in this tiny sample:

[*] 2/4 OTs came from R1. 1 or 2 is where you need to look for those.
[*] The 4 guards came in 3,3,3,4. R3 is the prime round for starting G.
[*] The centers came fairly low, but my suspicion is that's a bit of an anomaly from an even smaller sample size of 2.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Admittedly, the Pats and Eagles don't have the best lines in the NFL, but they are good enough. Scheme and continuity often are more important for an offensive lineman than draft position. I'll always say, outside of LT, you can take guys anywhere in the draft and make them work if they 1 - fit your scheme and the mold you want in an offensive lineman (power run vs zone / pass blockers vs run blockers) and 2 - they are teachable and have a good starting point with their technique.

My problem with the Bears line is the mish-mash of "types" of linemen. We have a finesse guy for an LT, a LG that's been in a ZBS his entire career but probably no linger fits that scheme based on age/weight, a fairly balanced center that is probably a better guard, a left guard that (when healthy) really isn't a guard, but apparently isn't a tackle either, and a run blocking RT that struggles in pass protection.

The "throw the best 5 players I have out there regardless of position" philosophy doesn't work on the OL. It's one of the things I hated about Fox, and he's done it everywhere he's been. Techniques are different, body styles limit players at certain positions, strength comes into play, physical limitations at tackle may not be physical limitations at guard.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:The "throw the best 5 players I have out there regardless of position" philosophy doesn't work on the OL. It's one of the things I hated about Fox, and he's done it everywhere he's been. Techniques are different, body styles limit players at certain positions, strength comes into play, physical limitations at tackle may not be physical limitations at guard.
I hated that philosophy as well. Football is like everything in life: the more experience you get doing something, the better you will do it.

I think Long makes a ton of sense at RT, but IF that is what we want to do then tell the poor kid NOW so he doesn't waste his entire fucking off-season training to be a guard, only to be told he's playing RT week 1 of the regular season.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:The "throw the best 5 players I have out there regardless of position" philosophy doesn't work on the OL. It's one of the things I hated about Fox, and he's done it everywhere he's been. Techniques are different, body styles limit players at certain positions, strength comes into play, physical limitations at tackle may not be physical limitations at guard.
I hated that philosophy as well. Football is like everything in life: the more experience you get doing something, the better you will do it.

I think Long makes a ton of sense at RT, but IF that is what we want to do then tell the poor kid NOW so he doesn't waste his entire fucking off-season training to be a guard, only to be told he's playing RT week 1 of the regular season.
Reid did it a bit in Philly (Moving Herremans around everywhere) and early on in KC (moving Albert and Fisher everywhere), and it bit him in the ass a bit...but he seemed to learn from it. Hopefully Nagy doesn't make the same mistakes.

I think Long has like two seasons left in the NFL if he stays at guard. Move him to tackle where he's not getting hit by 3 guys on every play and you squeeze maybe 4 more years out of him.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Part of the reason Heistand was hired was to develop talent on the OL. Just like he developed Nelson and McGlinchey into top 15 picks. I'm with G08...Heistand is here to coach 3rd-6th round guys into starting level players.

I'm a ND homer, so I'd have ZERO problems with either of those guys on the Bears...but I don't think the have to be drafted just because the Bears hired their position coach.
If Nelson were a GOOD OG and I was taking this position, I might relent. But he really is a cornerstone for an OL for 10 years. If you think Trubisky is your QB of the future, then you need to build an OL around him. A franchise QB is useless if he doesn't have time to throw the football. I can see Heistand coaching up Morgan, Whitehair and Grasu. But it would be a HUGE help if you had a potential All-Pro OG, that was coached by Heistand, to help translate the techniques.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:Part of the reason Heistand was hired was to develop talent on the OL. Just like he developed Nelson and McGlinchey into top 15 picks. I'm with G08...Heistand is here to coach 3rd-6th round guys into starting level players.

If Nelson were a GOOD OG and I was taking this position, I might relent. But he really is a cornerstone for an OL for 10 years. If you think Trubisky is your QB of the future, then you need to build an OL around him. A franchise QB is useless if he doesn't have time to throw the football. I can see Heistand coaching up Morgan, Whitehair and Grasu. But it would be a HUGE help if you had a potential All-Pro OG, that was coached by Heistand, to help translate the techniques.
So do you cut Sitton for Nelson? Do you cut Massie and move Long to RT and play Nelson at RG in Long's place? Do you cut Massie and try Nelson at RT? Do you move Leno inside somewhere and let Nelson play LT?

Even though I think pass rusher is the biggest need right now, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. One of the biggest draws of drafting Nelson is that he can play anywhere. It's just...where does he play with the Bears? If you draft Nelson, someone has to go. One of Massie or Sitton would be my guess.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm not so sure Sitton makes our 53 next season... I'd have to think Pace wants to kick the tires on Morgan and/or get younger on the OL and have this group locked in and working together for (God willing) the forseeable future.