Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

253 lbs
34.5" arms
9 3/8" hands

[video][/video]

WANT.
Last edited by G08 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I've read reports that he's not best suited as an edge guy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:I've read reports that he's not best suited as an edge guy.
He's had limited exposure there, but the kid is 19. If he tests the way I think he will, I'd draft him, wrap him in a bow and hand him to Vic Fangio.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I don't know why people keep saying that. He played almost the exact same role as Floyd did at Georgia. They both have very similar college stats as well.

Why was one considered an edge prospect, but one isn't? They also have very similar skill sets - although I'm of the opinion that Edmunds is stronger and has a higher upside.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:6044
253 lbs
34.5" arms
9 3/8" hands

WANT.

Small hands. Smells like cabbage.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
UOK
Site Admin

I think Edmunds would be a good chaotic talent to unleash. He'd make a lot of mistakes, but the guy is insanely skilled. I think the ceiling is high.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Hell, even if he is limited to ILB, we have a hole there with the release of Freeman. Edmunds or Smith would go a long way to shoring up the front 7.

Just watched an analytics vid that detailed our pass rush as being above average, but we were lacking big plays on key downs. Adding a game changing LB to the mix won't hurt us by any means.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
He's had limited exposure there, but the kid is 19. If he tests the way I think he will, I'd draft him, wrap him in a bow and hand him to Vic Fangio.
hard not to get alittle excited about him only being 19.
Adipost
MVP

wab wrote:
I don't know why people keep saying that. He played almost the exact same role as Floyd did at Georgia. They both have very similar college stats as well.

Why was one considered an edge prospect, but one isn't? They also have very similar skill sets - although I'm of the opinion that Edmunds is stronger and has a higher upside.
Mayock thinks he’s an inside linebacker.

All of Floyd’s strengths coming out pertained to the pass rush. Explosive first step, variety of pass rush moves, good bend, natural pass rusher.

All of Edmunds strengths pertain to pursuit and coverage.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
G08 wrote:
hard not to get alittle excited about him only being 19.
Pervert.

G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
wab wrote:

Mayock thinks he’s an inside linebacker.

All of Floyd’s strengths coming out pertained to the pass rush. Explosive first step, variety of pass rush moves, good bend, natural pass rusher.

All of Edmunds strengths pertain to pursuit and coverage.
These things can be taught, but you can definitely use Edmunds in coverage (I've seen him buzz off his landmark, pick up a RB and carry up through the flat and up the field on a wheel route, 100% covered). If he runs well and has a sub 7.08 (arbitrary number, prefer sub 7.00) I see no reason to not make this kid an OLB full time. He has everything else you want in terms of size, arm length, and speed.

He's my top choice at #8 and it's not even close for me. If this kid was a pass rusher only in college I think he'd be a lock for a top 5 pick, easily.

G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
G08 wrote:6044
253 lbs
34.5" arms
9 3/8" hands

WANT.

Small hands. Smells like cabbage.
Bigger hands than Von Miller my duuuude

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Edmunds has the physical skill set to become a pass rusher, no doubt about it.

He hasn't done all that much of it at Virginia Tech, though — he's mostly been off the ball. So it's a projection.

But heck, even if the kid can become the Bears' version of Navarro Bowman, creating mismatches in several places, that's quite good enough.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:Edmunds has the physical skill set to become a pass rusher, no doubt about it.

He hasn't done all that much of it at Virginia Tech, though — he's mostly been off the ball. So it's a projection.

But heck, even if the kid can become the Bears' version of Navarro Bowman, creating mismatches in several places, that's quite good enough.
I've got no problem with him playing inside in base and outside in sub. Hell, he can play inside in sub as well and blitz or drop into coverage. Dude is a swiss army knife and it makes me giddy thinking what Fangio can do with Floyd and him once he feels confident his unit has a firm grasp on the scheme.

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I’m tired of this “too big to play inside” narrative for ‘backers. I like him more than Roquan. Hopefully we resign CJones, who can/should play outside.
wab
Mod

alexwilkins wrote:I’m tired of this “too big to play inside” narrative for ‘backers. I like him more than Roquan. Hopefully we resign CJones, who can/should play outside.
Yeah he isn’t too big to play inside. Edmunds and Jones are basically the same size.
cblaz11
MVP

Then why wasn't Eddie Curry good at center? Why wasn't Harold Minor a hall of fame shooting guard? Why has Paxton Lynch sucked? There's more to sports then size...Edmunds is a MLB. He has shown very limited ability to come off the edge. I don't hate him as a MLB prospect, but to assume he can rush off the edge because of his size is terrible...especially when you almost never see him do it in his college tape.
wab
Mod

McCblaz wrote:Then why wasn't Eddie Curry good at center? Why wasn't Harold Minor a hall of fame shooting guard? Why has Paxton Lynch sucked? There's more to sports then size...Edmunds is a MLB. He has shown very limited ability to come off the edge. I don't hate him as a MLB prospect, but to assume he can rush off the edge because of his size is terrible...especially when you almost never see him do it in his college tape.
Size isn’t the only reason people think he can play outside.
G08
Hall of Famer

McCblaz wrote:Then why wasn't Eddie Curry good at center? Why wasn't Harold Minor a hall of fame shooting guard? Why has Paxton Lynch sucked? There's more to sports then size...Edmunds is a MLB. He has shown very limited ability to come off the edge. I don't hate him as a MLB prospect, but to assume he can rush off the edge because of his size is terrible...especially when you almost never see him do it in his college tape.
Work ethic.

wab
Mod

You don’t see his explosion and ability to work through traffic? You don’t see his ability to get to the ball? You don’t see his ability to use his hands well? You don’t see his ability to convert speed to power?

All of those things translate very well to an outside rusher.
G08
Hall of Famer

The toughest thing with projections is taking a player's traits and extrapolating. It's why I din't like Leonard Floyd -- I just didn't see the strength in his game, but John Fox said it (and he was right), "You can always make them bigger and stronger. You can't make them faster".

Edmunds doesn't have a ton of pass rushing tape, but he's young, he has the size/length/speed I like in an edge rusher. The question is how well he takes to coaching, and we're lucky to have one of the best OLB coaches in the game in Fangio. I'm all about getting raw talent and giving them to proven, quality coaches.

EricTighe
MVP

Tremaine Edmunds is the best LB prospect I have seen since Urlacher. Maybe if his combine numbers match his insane game stats then I am all in. If he runs below 4.6 40 then he is a freak.

OLB or MLB football players that are freaks are rare and need to grab them everytime they are available.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

If he can play 34 OLB, one thing I do like about him is that he has a ton of experience taking on blocks and hand fighting by playing inside. I think if he has the speed and explosion, he could make for a scary dual threat at OLB by being able to play the run well and rush the passer.
Never Die Easy
cblaz11
MVP

This guy will never have more then 5 sacks in a year...Again, I think he can be a very good MLB, but he is not an edge rusher. Look beyond his measurables, look at the tape.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

McCblaz wrote:This guy will never have more then 5 sacks in a year...Again, I think he can be a very good MLB, but he is not an edge rusher. Look beyond his measurables, look at the tape.
I would say the opposite, if you watch the "tape" you see the skills to be very good at rushing the passer. It depends on system, but I believe he would excel in that roll.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:
McCblaz wrote:This guy will never have more then 5 sacks in a year...Again, I think he can be a very good MLB, but he is not an edge rusher. Look beyond his measurables, look at the tape.
I would say the opposite, if you watch the "tape" you see the skills to be very good at rushing the passer. It depends on system, but I believe he would excel in that roll.
This.

How you can look at the tape and not see these things is beyond me.
cblaz11
MVP

Show me a specific clip of him rushing off the edge ?
Adipost
MVP

Edmunds 4.55 on his first run.
malk
Head Coach

Ok, I'm sold!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
cblaz11
MVP

Can anybody show me any sign on tape this guys an edge rusher?