EDGE Prospect Talk: Tremaine Edmunds

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:I think they're raw in different ways. Sometimes Davenport is rushing the passer and he just looks like a bull in a china shop, other times he looks like he has a solid understanding of what he's doing with his hands and his feet; inconsistency is his game. I don't think he'd be doing anything exotic in coverage so for him it would really just be working on his technique.

Edmunds brings more to the table because he's done a lot more; he's had success playing ILB, reading his run/pass keys, reading linemen (albeit incorrectly at times) and finding the football, spying the QB, covering the slot and RBs out of the flat, etc -- the kid has a football foundation. What he needs to work on is his technique for rushing the passer (just like Davenport). The major difference is if/when Fangio wants to throw in some wrinkles, he'll have a 19 year old kid that has 26 games or so of playing ILB in a 4-2-5 scheme.
That's a pretty optimistic view. His play reads are really REALLY rough. That he has experience with it isn't that helpful if he's so poor at it.
I think it's being overblown, truthfully. You don't accumulate that many TFLs in a season if you don't know what you're doing.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I was thinking in the shower this morning...

Consider the matchup you'd have with Edmunds on TEs. The guy can run with any TE in the league and probably better than most. In the pass game, TEs would have no body size, height advantage that they normally have against much smaller, shorter safeties. And in the run game, if a safety is man up with a TE, he's going to lose that battle unless he can win with anticipation, which is difficult to do. But man up with Edmunds, it has to be a 100% solid block or forget it. And if Edmunds gets any advantage at all it's a losing proposition.

Of course early on, Edmunds would have the subtleties of the game disadvantage. But once he picked up the nuances of defending NFL receivers, oh man.

I don't know if a team would ever defend TEs with Edmunds on a TE. But they surely could. How interesting and different would that be? It would radically change the size of your defense, allowing you to put an extra 250# guy in place of a 205# safety in the right package.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
EricTighe
MVP

Hey Mike you were thinking it cause it already has been posted :).

Damn I am glad UOK isn't Pace.

Not even if Buffalo calls and offers 12 and 22 for 8?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote:Hey Mike you were thinking it cause it already has been posted :).
I don't remember that. But anything's possible at my age. :D
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
EricTighe wrote:Hey Mike you were thinking it cause it already has been posted :).
I don't remember that. But anything's possible at my age. :D
http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/vi ... am#p199785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:toast: mate

EricTighe
MVP

told ya ole guy :)
wab
Mod

More…
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 am This guy will never have more then 5 sacks in a year...Again, I think he can be a very good MLB, but he is not an edge rusher. Look beyond his measurables, look at the tape.
6.5 sacks for his whole career! Good call. :toast:
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
IE
Hall of Famer

Two guys that nailed it, 5 years ago:
Mikefive wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:31 pm I was thinking in the shower this morning...

Consider the matchup you'd have with Edmunds on TEs. The guy can run with any TE in the league and probably better than most. In the pass game, TEs would have no body size, height advantage that they normally have against much smaller, shorter safeties. And in the run game, if a safety is man up with a TE, he's going to lose that battle unless he can win with anticipation, which is difficult to do. But man up with Edmunds, it has to be a 100% solid block or forget it. And if Edmunds gets any advantage at all it's a losing proposition.

Of course early on, Edmunds would have the subtleties of the game disadvantage. But once he picked up the nuances of defending NFL receivers, oh man.

I don't know if a team would ever defend TEs with Edmunds on a TE. But they surely could. How interesting and different would that be? It would radically change the size of your defense, allowing you to put an extra 250# guy in place of a 205# safety in the right package.
Adipost wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 pm
G08 wrote:Just getting caught up on everything I missed the past few days (New Orleans: 2, G08: 0) but it seems like most of the negativity surrounding Tremaine Edmunds deals with his (at times) poor instincts inside. If we take him at 8, I highly doubt it is because we are planning on playing him inside.

Teaching proper technique isn't rocket science, it's having the proper teacher/teaching approach and just drilling the shit out of the player (phrasing). I see no reason, honestly, why Vic Fangio can't do that with Tremaine Edmunds IF that's the guy he wants over anyone else. Watching the "tape" you can see this kid has the athleticism to play a slot WR and take a RB out of the backfield and up the field on wheel routes. I'm of the opinion that versatility is invaluable to Vic Fangio.

Is there bust potential there? Absolutely -- the kid is 19 years old. If you're sold on maturity, the kid loving football, and him being someone that is open minded and driven to learn? Take him.
My problem with Edmunds is not Edmunds himself, it’s that people are trying to project him into an EDGE rusher. I think he could become the next great MLB.

Ultra elite in coverage, can stick with anybody
Great in persuit, can track down ball carrier from sideline to sideline
The ultimate QB spy in the middle of the field

Struggles getting off blocks
While physically big and strong, plays weaker than his frame.
Not 1 play in his entire tape where he actually beats an OT 1 on 1.

Let’s go ahead and nullify all of his strengths and move him to the EDGE in the NFL.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
cblaz11
MVP

Just two? I remember these discussions and people wanting to put him at edge. I also remember the comps to Roquan…

Edmunds has turned into a good linebacker, but it’s been a journey. Bills fans were calling him a bust after his first couple seasons…I’m glad we didn’t draft him lol
EricTighe
MVP

EricTighe wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:34 pm Tremaine Edmunds is the best LB prospect I have seen since Urlacher. Maybe if his combine numbers match his insane game stats then I am all in. If he runs below 4.6 40 then he is a freak.

OLB or MLB football players that are freaks are rare and need to grab them everytime they are available.
You be a hater. I think I nailed this one as well.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

I'll say you nailed Tremaine Edwards.

I'm glad we have him now. I'm glad we drafted Roquon, and I think he currently leads in the comparison between the two, but I'm glad we have Edwards.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:17 am Just two? I remember these discussions and people wanting to put him at edge. I also remember the comps to Roquan…

Edmunds has turned into a good linebacker, but it’s been a journey. Bills fans were calling him a bust after his first couple seasons…I’m glad we didn’t draft him lol
If we drafted him top 10 I liked him at EDGE.

I'm excited to get him here in FA, I think you'll see him blitzing a bit in our defense.

G08
Hall of Famer

It's so fun to go through these old threads and read.

I think Eberflus can make this kid a Perennial Pro Bowler.