WEEK 6 // Bears lose to Dolphins 31-28 in OT

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
wab wrote:I 100% believe that the weather was the primary reason the Bears defense under-performed. Watching them mill about just dripping with sweat before the game even started, I knew it was going to be an issue.

As far as Hicks goes, part of the issue is that Fangio pretty much lets him decide when he wants to come out and I don't think Hicks always knows his limitations. There was one close up of him where he was shaking his head like "OMG I'm dying" and then Drake just sort of bumped him and he went down flat on his back... he shouldn't have even been in there at that point.
I agree, even though it pisses me off. They practiced in a hot facility for a week, and I guess it wasn't hot enough.

I recall that Hicks bump that Drake gave him. Goldman got knocked down by a feather a few times.

Honestly this is one of the first times I've seen 'home field advantage' actually play out effectively.
I just don't think you can't recreate that kind of humidity. It's like your lungs are filled with hot water and your body just feels heavy.
Oh yeah, I mean I sympathize. It's just strange to me how not a single member of the down 7 could find a way to get a sack. It was a perfect storm.
Definitely. Osweiler was getting the ball out pretty fast and the Bears were just doing that weird Greg Blache mush-rush bullshit. It's was incredibly frustrating.

They key to beating the Bears is wearing out the defense. As good as they are, they aren't built to go the distance in a heavyweight fight.
malk
Head Coach

I don't think the weather was something that we could have practised our way out of. Hicks and Goldman are big boys who will never be able to cope with their "normal" workload in that kind of heat. I was more concerned with, admittedly only the live viewing, how poorly Jackson played. I say concerned, annoyed really, I'm not concerned it will continue. He had a bad game and I suspect it was more to do with getting overconfident after some great performances than the heat. With more experience I hope he learns to put the safe in safety in those late game situations.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
malk
Head Coach

https://twitter.com/thefootballgirl/status/1051550259028013056

Oh Lordy, I didn't know the roughing call on Floyd was quite this bad :sick:

EDIT: Nicked the link from here, it's a pretty good, brief, write up of the game.https://www.footballoutsiders.com/audibles/2018/audibles-line-week-6
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
donkeykong wrote:
Otis Day wrote:
Pats, while only up by 4 are looking way better than the Fins. It will be a big effing challenge.
I don’t know what to think after today! I was really looking forward to the NE game, we have THE formula to defeat them...QB pressure and sacks! Brady is GARBAGE as soon as he’s under pressure and taking hits.

Was today the fluke, or was the last 4 games the fluke with the Defense? Today we had no QB pressure, no sacks, no tackling and no covering.

If we’re the precious 4 weeks defense, we can beat NE handily, if we’re todays defense....
I’m leaning towards todays game was a fluke. It had to be the extremely hot weather. I think Zbear summed it up for us, he’s a Miami native and said he felt like passing out just sitting there. The defense got gassed early on and couldn’t get to the QB, they just had nothing left in the tank. Everyone will have to bring their A game next week against the pats or it could get ugly fast.
I tend to agree.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Funkster
MVP

After re-watching the game, focusing mostly on offense, Trubisky is trending in the right direction and that’s a really good thing. Believe the sleeve! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this team can easily score 28 PPG, they literally have left 14-17 points on the field. Once they cut out the fixable mistakes, the bears might finally have a legit offense.

One players effort stood out to me on the rewatch, Mr.Callahan thank you for truly leaving it all out on the field!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: They key to beating the Bears is wearing out the defense. As good as they are, they aren't built to go the distance in a heavyweight fight.
To be fair, that's an effective way to beat any NFL defense. You win time of possession and finish drives with points on a consistent enough basis, 3 or 7, you're probably winning the game.

The Bears in particular, to point toward your diagnosis, are terrifying on defense when they set the tone in the first two quarters. They're getting annoying about surrendering an opening drive, but they typically stiffen up. They did that in Miami, but obviously they weren't forcing punts so often as they were getting bailed out of obnoxious drives.

I hope the brisk fall air of Chicago gets them back in the winning mood. You can wipe out this Miami loss and take back momentum by getting Tom Brady on his ass. It's a tall order, but if Mack is healthy and the defense is pissed off, this team can absolutely win.
EricTighe
MVP

Crap happens. The defense got lit up, happens to the best of them especially with todays rules.

They will be fine. Everybody remember one thing if our Kicker made a very makeable kick in OT we wouldn't be stressing about the loss this bad.

One of Pace's biggest mistakes continues to haunt us.
wab
Mod

EricTighe wrote:Crap happens. The defense got lit up, happens to the best of them especially with todays rules.

They will be fine. Everybody remember one thing if our Kicker made a very makeable kick in OT we wouldn't be stressing about the loss this bad.

That missed kick wasn't nearly as impactful to the game as the two lost fumbles. Especially on the goal line.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

wab wrote:
EricTighe wrote:Crap happens. The defense got lit up, happens to the best of them especially with todays rules.

That missed kick wasn't nearly as impactful to the game as the two lost fumbles. Especially on the goal line.
And the offensive pass interference followed by an INT in the endzone was a minimum 10 point swing in points.
As badly as we played we had to make a ton of mistakes to lose this game.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:

Trubisky's pick was just as crippling. The goal line fumble by Howard simply put cannot happen. Ever. Under any circumstances. The same amount of "never ever ever" can be applied to throwing to Ben Braunecker. That playcall in itself was stupid, too.

In regards to the kick, well...my feelings on kickers are static. The longsnapper, holder, and kicker each have one job. They practice that one job thousands and thousands of times. Parkey had the leg, but the snap/hold were imperfect, and it's just kinda...yeah. You each have one job, and you all collectively failed at that job. Here's your game check for several hundred thousand dollars, rewarding your incompetence.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:

Cant forget Trubisky’s redzone interception.

I would also liked to have seen Nagy try and convert on 3rd down to get the kicker closer. Teams like the pats, eagles, chiefs and rams are aggressive and take calculated risk with the game on the line with really good results. The offense was moving and I feel they could have called a better play that probably would have moved the chains than a third consecutive run up the gut.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
UOK
Site Admin

Funkster wrote:
I would also liked to have seen Nagy try and convert on 3rd down to get the kicker closer. Teams like the pats, eagles, chiefs and rams are aggressive and take calculated risk with the game on the line with really good results. The offense was moving and I feel they could have called a better play that probably would have moved the chains than a third consecutive run up the gut.
Dan Wiederer @danwiederer
8m
Watching Bears game back and already filling a notebook w thoughts. On second down OT play right before Parkey’s missed field goal, the Bears ran a play with none of the following players on the field: Tarik Cohen, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Jordan Howard, Anthony Miller.

@danwiederer
Instead it was three TEs, Josh Bellamy and Benny Cunningham. That’s a “What in the world?” moment.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Funkster wrote:
8m
Watching Bears game back and already filling a notebook w thoughts. On second down OT play right before Parkey’s missed field goal, the Bears ran a play with none of the following players on the field: Tarik Cohen, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Jordan Howard, Anthony Miller.

@danwiederer
Instead it was three TEs, Josh Bellamy and Benny Cunningham. That’s a “What in the world?” moment.
That was bizarre. My immediate thought was maybe he wanted fresh players on the field.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:
Funkster wrote:
8m

@danwiederer
That was bizarre. My immediate thought was maybe he wanted fresh players on the field.
I think it was a rookie head coach getting conservative at the wrong time. I figured they'd spread the defense out, roll Mitch out and give him the option to tuck and run or hit a shallow crossing route. Or at least call a QB draw.

I also think it was Nagy telling Jordan Howard, hey man... forget about that fumble and go out and win us this damn game.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Funkster wrote:
8m

@danwiederer
Time to put that 'self scouting' process to work. Yeesh!
sportsfanrj
Rookie

I don't think it's too much to ask your place-kicker to make a 53 yarder every so often.
G08
Hall of Famer

sportsfanrj wrote:I don't think it's too much to ask your place-kicker to make a 53 yarder every so often.
8th highest paid kicker in the league, make the fucking kick.
Bad Flanders
MVP

G08 wrote:
sportsfanrj wrote:I don't think it's too much to ask your place-kicker to make a 53 yarder every so often.
^yup^

All around, Mitch made his mistake, both rbs made them, the defense made several, the kicker got his in too.

It sucks and it won't be the last mistakes made by them this year.

I also think this game proves that MOST teams aren't going to beat the Bears worse than the Bears can beat themselves. And I think (I hope) the beatdown of the TB game means they can at least hang with the biggest dogs when they aren't beating themselves.

It is a hard loss but there were plenty that called this a trap game and it was. Mitch wasn't terrible but he had cooled off significantly, could be he's going to be a slow starter, could be he had a two week hangover, could be some were looking past to the Pats... just hope he learns, same for everyone else. This team is still a work in progress and that's okay.
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
“I hate missing. Unfortunately I missed, and it’s on to the next game. I’m a human being. I had the distance, I just didn’t kick it straight enough, bottom line. But you’ve got to move on. I’ve made game-winners. I’ve missed game-winners. As long as I keep playing, I’m just going to keep trying to kick my best.”

- Guy Who Has One Job
Funkster
MVP

His longest FG is 54. I bet the percentage of converting 3rd and short is better than Parkey making that kick. The offense was moving the ball, stay aggressive and use a FG attempt as your last option.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think the amount of times I cursed was about equal to the amount of times I celebrated during this game

Strike 1 - the interception into double coverage in the endzone was a throw Trubisky never should have made and I hope Nagy pounds that into his head ... first and goal, there is absolutely no need to force a ball through coverage ... that would have been ok to throw out of the back of the endzone if he didn't want to go to the checkdown

these types of situations and throws are an indicator to me Trubs is not as far along on his learning curve as I thought

Strike 2 - I was troubled as to why the defense could not sack a relatively stationary target in Osweiller ... their lack of pressure contributed to Osweiller's day

Strike 3 - no real effort to get into better field goal position for what would have been the winning kick .. kicks 50+ are no gimmes

a winnable game with too many opportunities given to the opponent ... they play a similar game against the Patriots and they will lose 56 - 10
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

This was very similar to the Packers game in the sense that a number of good players made mistakes, and a number of players had chances to win the game and didn't. It didn't change my mind about anybody's abilities (I assume Mack was hurt because he did nothing today).

I'm getting a little frustrated with the play calls at critical moments of the game. This coaching staff really needs to figure out what the offense does well, and use it when it counts.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

I'll feel a lot better about this if/when I realize this is a growth season and we aren't looking at a finished product. I just don't feel that right now. Fucking gut punch.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:I think the amount of times I cursed was about equal to the amount of times I celebrated during this game

Strike 1 - the interception into double coverage in the endzone was a throw Trubisky never should have made and I hope Nagy pounds that into his head ... first and goal, there is absolutely no need to force a ball through coverage ... that would have been ok to throw out of the back of the endzone if he didn't want to go to the checkdown

these types of situations and throws are an indicator to me Trubs is not as far along on his learning curve as I thought
John Fox, everyone.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I haven't read through the entire thread but the turning point of the game to me was that BOGUS offensive PI call on Burton which negated the TD pass to Cohen. That flag should have never been thrown IMO - and then on the very next play, Trubisky inexplicably forces the ball into tight coverage to Ben Braunecker of all people. If the TD pass stood, it would have been 28-13 at that point. I think the whole complexion of the game changes.

It's pains me quite a bit that we let a BROCK OSWEILER led team beat us. He's 3-0 against the Bears in his career. Brock. Osweiler. Let that sink in a little.

The Dolphins had no business winning this game. The Bears have more talent and skill and gave this game away.
Never Die Easy
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I don't get everyone dwelling on that intereception. It gave them the ball at the 20. It didn't give them 8 missed tackles on WR screens for 14 points.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

KOP_Snake wrote:I don't get everyone dwelling on that intereception. It gave them the ball at the 20. It didn't give them 8 missed tackles on WR screens for 14 points.
I'm dwelling on the fact that the INT should never happened had the officiating been more sound and not called a phantom PI call on Burton. It stripped away 7 points from what would have been a 28-13 game. Even Nagy said in the presser when asked about the penalty - "Trey did everything I asked him to do on that play."
Never Die Easy
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:
KOP_Snake wrote:I don't get everyone dwelling on that intereception. It gave them the ball at the 20. It didn't give them 8 missed tackles on WR screens for 14 points.
I'm dwelling on the fact that the INT should never happened had the officiating been more sound and not called a phantom PI call on Burton. It stripped away 7 points from what would have been a 28-13 game. Even Nagy said in the presser when asked about the penalty - "Trey did everything I asked him to do on that play."
Going back and watching that play a couple of times. Burton slightly lowered his shoulder, and hit the Dolphins' player. Had he just gotten in his way, it would have never been called. It still shouldn't have been called, but I think when the players/coaches go back and watch the tape, that what they will tell him. "Don't lower your shoulder, just act like you're running your own route."
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
Going back and watching that play a couple of times. Burton slightly lowered his shoulder, and hit the Dolphins' player. Had he just gotten in his way, it would have never been called. It still shouldn't have been called, but I think when the players/coaches go back and watch the tape, that what they will tell him. "Don't lower your shoulder, just act like you're running your own route."
Yup to you both. Fucking sucks. Looking back on yesterday's game, man, you just felt like we didn't have the good juju on our side.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

Yup. While technically not true, when you add in the Biscuit interception it's 3 red zone turnovers. That was it, even with as poorly as the D played.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.