NFC WILD CARD // Cody Parkey ends Bears season.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have the Fog Bowl on VHS, I am that old as well.

Big fan of Wentz, going back to his ND St Bison days (big FCS fan), what is going to go on there? Is there a QB controversy brewing in Philly?

Tell us about your O line. Is Peters hobbled a little? Lane Johnson playing near !00%? He against Hicks and Goldman could be a fun watch.
IotaNet
MVP

EagleRob wrote: ...Plus.... plus... WE OWE YOU FOR THE FOG BOWL!!!
Yes, I'm old enough to remember that game. That was supposed to be our year! That game shoiuld have been called.
Now THAT'S funny. I am old enough to remember that game as well -- wild, especially due to the Mike Ditka/Buddy Ryan feud that was the subtext to that game.

Regarding this Sunday, for me, it all comes down to Nick Foles. He is not 100% and while his ribs are not broken, they are severely bruised. I (objectively) believe that our defense is going to hit him early, often and painfully. He is going to run out of appetite for anything but getting the heck out of Soldier Field -- as quickly as possible.

I too, rooted hard for the Iggles in the Super Bowl and was very(!) happy for you guys. That said, I think it's going to be very ugly this Sunday -- and ya'll won't like it. :taunt:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
UOK
Site Admin

EagleRob wrote:
UOK wrote:
EagleRob wrote:Good day... I've come in peace despite the OP's opening shot "battery throwing..."
It's just a friendly jab. I celebrated with everyone last year as the Eagles won it all, and Jason Kelce's WWE promo during the parade is an all timer.

It's going to be a close game, there's no doubt about that, but I don't think it's out of the realm of imagination to predict a Bears two-score+ victory. They're very, very good at home.
It's all good. That shot wasn't why I took the time to register and post.

Yes... you could absolutely blow us out. When we destroyed the Vikings last year, I don't think the most stalwart of Eagles fan could have predicted that. All I'm asking for is just a little bit of a shot in not getting blown out. The Saints blew us out this year. That was Wentz last game when we through we were pretty much dead. That woke us up, we would have won 6 straight if it wasn't for the refs giving the Cowboys that game.

Like I said... this is a Bears board... I expect most of you guys to predict a win. If you head over to my EAgles board... you'll see the same thing in reverse. I just didn't expect people to think the battle tested team is just going to get rolled.

Plus.... plus... WE OWE YOU FOR THE FOG BOWL!!!
Yes, I'm old enough to remember that game. That was supposed to be our year! That game shoiuld have been called.
If anything, I'm looking for revenge for the 2001 game in Soldier where Hugh Douglas laid a cheap shot on Jim Miller.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I said the Eagles line has not been good. Maybe I should have said as last year. I don't think I said trash. They have allowed a lot of pressure up the middle from the games I watched. Weather it was Foles or Wentz both QBs had to move in the pocket much more then I remember last year.

So to check my thoughts. FOO has the eagles ranked 17th in pass block protection, and they are 17th in sacks given up. Last year they where 22nd and 16th. So they likely have played similarly. Everyone knows the talent they have at tackle, but those rankings are surprising.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The bears don't blow anyone out. I fully expect there to be a curve. As I said before Peterson vs Nagy is interesting. Along with Trubs on the big stage being a major question.

Bears 20
Eagles 17
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

EagleRob wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
EagleRob wrote: You are correct about your pressure on Qbs. But don't forget ... we just have seen Donald/Clowney/Kerrigan... those guys aren't stiffs either. You guys are GREAT with the turnover battle. If we give up more than two turnovers to you guys, I don't see a scenario where we can win a close game with you.
We saw Donald too, and completely took him out of the game. Because the Rams pass rush IS Aaron Donald. Our pass rush is not just Khalil Mack. You have to account for Hicks, Goldman and Floyd. Roquan Smith is a brutal blitz threat. We regularly get pressure with 4-5 pass rushers, against 6-7 blockers. There will be no time (2-2.5 sec) for Jeffrey or Agholor to get more than 10-15 yards downfield before the ball has to be thrown. And that's IF they are open. Fuller and Amukamara are among the very best CB's in the league. The Bears COMPLETELY removed Todd Gurley from the Rams game, and Josh Adams is no TG. If the Bears remove your running game, and force you to throw the ball 50 times. It will be a long day for Foles.

The Eagles are good. But you haven't faced a defense like this. The Bears had the highest DVOA in the league this year. By a wide margin. The Bears are the #1 defense in the league at -25.4%. The Ravens are #2 at -15.3%. The Eagles are #21 at 2.8%. The Rams for comparison? They are #14 at 0.7%. You haven't faced a defense like this.
No offense.. but I've heard it from the Vikings last year. Not calling you guys the Vikings. But I was told up and down how great that D was. I heard all about all their playmakers. Then we rolled 31 points on them. Again, that was last year and you guys aren't them.

I'm putting my hat on the fact that we've put up more points per game the last few games. I doubt we put up 28 vs you guys, my later prediction has us scoring less, to reflect your D.

Khalil Mack... who's a BEAST! Lane Johnson isn't a slouch either.
We've got a HOF on the other side with Jason Peters.

Playing in your first playoff game collectively... just going to hit the ground like another game, huh?
Just that simple?
Truth. The Bears haven't played a playoff game yet. It's a different animal. And without a doubt, the Eagles are the reigning champions until they are put out of the playoffs. Foles scares the crap out of me. He seems to command that offense better than Wentz did. But our defense is just now peaking, and pundits are talking about their ability, not just in terms of the best this year, but one of the best in the last two decades.

It will be a good game. But defense wins championships, and it travels well. We feel good about our chances.

Just curious. What is the general opinion in Philadelphia? Are fans still on the Carson Wentz train, or is there a contingent that is calling for Foles to be the starting QB next year?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Eagles are toast. This is not the Super Bowl team from last year and Foles is playing the best defense in the NFL with bruised ribs on the road. Have fun with that the first time Hicks pancakes him to the ground and again when Mack chases him around the backfield.

Said best defense is also peaking. The last several outings have been downright elite. They are going to be amped, prepared and hungry.

The Bears have the #9 offense based on points. The Eagles are #18.

Just running some numbers from football reference really quick:

At home, Biscuit has a greater than 2:1 TD to INT ratio (19 to 9) and he averages 246.5 yards / game. We get that, we win. Plain and simple.

The running game has finally come into its own. Howard is peaking. His yards / carry over the past 4 games are: 5.32 (LA), 3.16 (Fuck The Packers), 4.08 (SF), and 5.19 (MIN). We get that, we win.

The best defense at its peak. An above average RB returning to form. A QB with great stats at home. The opposing starting QB is playing injured and with a middle of the road offense.

Bears 30
Eagles 17

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... otalPoints

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/
Richie
MVP

EagleRob wrote:Good day... I've come in peace despite the OP's opening shot "battery throwing..."

Your team is a very good team that deserves to be favored in this upcoming game. You have a better record, you are at home and your defense is no joke.

What I find... "concerning" here is that most of you admit knowing very little about my squad, but yet most of your predictions aren't even close games... it has you stomping us by double digits. Did us beating the Rams/Texans mean nothing?

- Alshon disappears for games (no knowledge whatsoever of why he wasn't getting involved earlier)
- Our offensive line is trash
- Bennett used to be good.

These are just false statements.

Like I said... you guys are a good team who deserves their props. You definitely did us a favor by beating the Vikes, so I take my hat off for that. While I'll hold off my predictions till later, I'll just toss this nugget in there...

You are playing the SB Champs. Don't easily dismiss your squad's lack of postseason experience. Even before last years run, we had 7 guys already on our squad with SB experience (Jenkins/Blount etc...). Experience is VERY important. We have seasoned future HOF's in this locker room who know how to keep this team grounded.

Let's hope for a good game.
Experience is the single most overrated attribute to a team in the post-season. This gets proven over and over.

However, good to see you make your way over here from PSR, ER. Here's to a good game Sunday. However, I find your team to be much too flawed to really give us a run in our building. I don't find you guys to be near the same team as last season.

This team is absurdly good at home.
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Bears are a better team. Flat out. The Bears are simply better. With that, the Bears defense is playing pretty insane football right now. That combined with the Eagles very bad secondary, Bears 27, Eagles 13. I don’t think the game will be as close as the score indicates, though.

Also f*** Hugh Douglass.
Richie
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:The bears don't blow anyone out. I fully expect there to be a curve. As I said before Peterson vs Nagy is interesting. Along with Trubs on the big stage being a major question.

Bears 20
Eagles 17
We have a point differential of +138

We most definitely have blown teams out
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:The bears don't blow anyone out. I fully expect there to be a curve. As I said before Peterson vs Nagy is interesting. Along with Trubs on the big stage being a major question.

Bears 20
Eagles 17

We have a +138 point differential. The Eagles have a +19. The Bears only gave up 283 points this year. Far less than what the Eagles gave up at 348.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:

Your team is a very good team that deserves to be favored in this upcoming game. You have a better record, you are at home and your defense is no joke.

What I find... "concerning" here is that most of you admit knowing very little about my squad, but yet most of your predictions aren't even close games... it has you stomping us by double digits. Did us beating the Rams/Texans mean nothing?

- Alshon disappears for games (no knowledge whatsoever of why he wasn't getting involved earlier)

Like I said... you guys are a good team who deserves their props. You definitely did us a favor by beating the Vikes, so I take my hat off for that. While I'll hold off my predictions till later, I'll just toss this nugget in there...

You are playing the SB Champs. Don't easily dismiss your squad's lack of postseason experience. Even before last years run, we had 7 guys already on our squad with SB experience (Jenkins/Blount etc...). Experience is VERY important. We have seasoned future HOF's in this locker room who know how to keep this team grounded.

Experience is the single most overrated attribute to a team in the post-season. This gets proven over and over.

However, good to see you make your way over here from PSR, ER. Here's to a good game Sunday. However, I find your team to be much too flawed to really give us a run in our building. I don't find you guys to be near the same team as last season.

I find it interesting that the Eagles fans are running around puffing their chests out about having playoff experience, and that they have "been there." Yet they were last in the NFC East in 2016, and were not in the playoffs in 2015. But somehow they are now highly experienced.

Kinda funny. Kinda like an Eagles fan.
docc
Head Coach

I really don't care about fans opinions.. The game will be on the field.. All the bluster and bravado is vacant..
Off Course..
The players will determine the game..we fans can hope..wish and guess..won't make a difference..
Bears be as you have..we'll see the finish..

I WANT IT ALL..
I believe so does every fan..
BR0D1E86
MVP

And for some reference into the defense the Eagles will be facing...

https://twitter.com/Zack_Pearson/status ... 66304?s=20

[URL][

So yeah, they’re pretty easily the best defense in the NFL.
docc
Head Coach

Following Week 17, the #Bears defense is ranked No. 1 in..
- Takeaways (36)
- Interceptions (27)
- INT returns for TD's (5)
- Opposing QB passer rating (72.9)
- Fewest points per game allowed (17.7)
- Red zone takeaways (6)
- Tied for Fewest red zone drives allowed (40)
- Fewest offensive points allowed (16.8)
- Fewest first downs allowed (278)
- Fewest rushing yards allowed per game (80.0)
- Fewest rushing touchdowns (5)
- Fewest rushing plays allowed of 10+ more yds (28)
- 3 and out % (.268)
- Fewest total plays allowed of 25+ yds (46)

Looks ok :)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

You have to go outside of 2018 to find a defense to compare the Bears to. No other team this year is close. AND the Bears defense is just beginning to peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GSH
MVP

beating these birds is just a formality we need to deal with before heading into LA.

I live in LA, I can tell you all now it will be another game where bears fans will be louder than the home team. . home advantage for the rams doesnt mean a whole lot against the bears and its not like its hot here right now. around 60 degrees. little wind.

gurley might be back by the time but this is a team we already played with gurely and held to 6 points, no tds.

Bears have EVERY realistic chance of making the NFCC game.

I appreciate anything can happen on any given game day, but i see bears at saints being our destiny.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:And for some reference into the defense the Eagles will be facing...

https://twitter.com/Zack_Pearson/status ... 66304?s=20

[https://twitter.com/Zack_Pearson/statu ... SER_RATING
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wentz is definitely out and has absolutely no business playing against this Bears defense with a fractured back (regardless of how "minor" they claim that injury to be)

Foles is working his magic again but is now battered himself ... no broken bones but bruised chest and ribs ... a few hits/sacks early and his focus may turn to survival and away from making plays downfield

I think this Bears defense is the only defense in the NFC playoffs that can go into New Orleans and keep the Saints in check and lead to a win, so I do not see them having any sort of letdown to have the Eagles foil their presence in that future game

Nagy has now shown us and the league he can make adjustments and with those, the Bears can run the football ... a running game couple with his gadget plays and a Mitch Trubisky playing under control means a Bears win

Bears 24

Eagles 16
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
WagonForce
MVP

Bears 31
Eagles 13
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Richie wrote:

Bears 20
Eagles 17

We have a +138 point differential. The Eagles have a +19. The Bears only gave up 283 points this year. Far less than what the Eagles gave up at 348.
What's your definition of blow out?

www.nfl.com/schedules/2018/REG/Bears
Middleguard
MVP

I was rather shocked when I ran my program with Sunday's results. It now has the Bears at #1 with the 19th O and the 1st D. But it also moved the Eagles up to #2. Tough game. It predicts the Bears win 58%. Bears 21 Eagles 16.
docc
Head Coach

Look at the Big Brain on Dung...

HILARIOUS..>>>>!

Mensa

Your home..
https://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/profile/25935-dungaroo/content/
docc
Head Coach

You do have the right name..
Dung..

You must be a Billionaire at 98% picks.. Vegas probably has a hit on you..
HILARIOUS..a self Realized Braggart..

Or just what you say you are..

Dung
EagleRob
Rookie

Otis Day wrote:I have the Fog Bowl on VHS, I am that old as well.

Big fan of Wentz, going back to his ND St Bison days (big FCS fan), what is going to go on there? Is there a QB controversy brewing in Philly?

Tell us about your O line. Is Peters hobbled a little? Lane Johnson playing near !00%? He against Hicks and Goldman could be a fun watch.
Our O line has been playing better. Peters is NOT 100%, but lets face it... how many players are at this point in the season. As long as he plays and not Vatai... I feel better. Jason Kelce, although undersized is one of the best in the game. Lane Johnson and Barrett Brooks are both solid. Brooks just gave up his first sake last week.

AGain... I say that not to say you guys won't get any pressure or sacks. But this is a veteran line that has played with one another for a minute now. Kelce is known to follow a run 20 yeard downfield for a block.
EagleRob
Rookie

Richie wrote:

RICHIE!!!

Ah man... a familiar and friendly face in the land of the enemy board.

Your right dude... we aren't. But... our stats are flawed based off our banged up D and hurt Wentz. At one point we had like 13 guys on IR. Some of our hurt players are back and our team is starting to play great ball again. I'm predicting a hard fought game and I'm giving my respect to your squad. I'm just trying to convince your brethren that this isn't going to be some walk in the park.
docc
Head Coach

Absolutely no easy game for either team..that's why both fought so hard and deserved this meeting..
Should be fun..
EagleRob
Rookie

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Richie wrote:

I find it interesting that the Eagles fans are running around puffing their chests out about having playoff experience, and that they have "been there." Yet they were last in the NFC East in 2016, and were not in the playoffs in 2015. But somehow they are now highly experienced.

Kinda funny. Kinda like an Eagles fan.
Don't go there... please.

I'm trying to remain civil on your board, so we can have a decent chat.

I also pointed out that we had guys come over with SB winning experience to go along our seasoned veterans.

You guys are a young and up and coming team. Who knows... this may be your year. But to see you guys thumb up your noses to experience... next time you are looking for a HC, do go looking for the guys who have a good track record, grab a the guy that bags groceries instead.

(yeah...yeah... I know that was a reach :D )
docc
Head Coach

Matt Nagy hopeful all five injured Bears will be back for playoffs vs. Eagles
JJ STANKEVITZ
NBC Sports Chicago•Dec 31, 2018, 11:59 AM
Matt Nagy hopeful all five injured Bears will be back for playoffs vs. Eagles
View photos
Matt Nagy on Monday sounded optimistic regarding the wild card round statuses of Eddie Jackson, Aaron Lynch, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Anthony Miller.

Matt Nagy hopeful all five injured Bears will be back for playoffs vs. Eagles originally appeared on nbcsportschicago.com

Bears coach Matt Nagy is optimistic regarding the statuses of five injured players for Sunday's wild card round playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles, though he said Monday he'll have a better idea of their potential availability come Wednesday when the Bears practice for the first time this week.

Of those five players - safety Eddie Jackson, outside linebacker Aaron Lynch, and wide receivers Anthony Miller, Taylor Gabriel and Allen Robinson - only Lynch did not travel to Minnesota for Week 17's season-ender against the Vikings on Sunday. Gabriel (ribs) and Miller (shoulder) were injured against the Vikings, along with defensive end Roy Robertson-Harris, who had "a little whiplash" that Nagy didn't frame as concerning.

"Nothing significant there," Nagy said of Gabriel and Miller. "I think we'll be good."

Jackson (ankle), Robinson (ribs) and Lynch (elbow) are all at different places in their respective recoveries, Nagy said. Robinson would seem the most likely of the three to play against the Eagles, though Jackson's ankle injury suffered in Week 15 hasn't been framed by Nagy as serious.

"I'm hoping that they (play)," Nagy said. "I think they're all in a little bit different situations right now. I'm excited to see come Wednesday, after talking to ‘Dre, Andre (Tucker). our head trainer, where they're at. I think they're all kind of (at) different levels. But I'm hoping they're all ready to go."

Jackson is a Pro Bowler whose elite ball skills have made him one of the best safeties in the league, while Gabriel and Robinson have been two of Trubisky's most reliable targets this year. Miller's seven receiving touchdowns topped Bears pass-catchers. And Lynch was an important rotational piece, tagging in for Khalil Mack or Leonard Floyd while offering strong support against the run.

If the Bears get all five of those players back - or even if it's everyone but, say, Lynch - they'll enter their first playoff appearance in eight years with a remarkably clean bill of health. The Bears only have three players on injured reserve, and just one of them was a starter (slot corner Bryce Callahan, with the other two being outside linebacker Sam Acho and tight end Dion Sims) - and just activated right guard Kyle Long off injured reserve before Week 17.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote:I was rather shocked when I ran my program with Sunday's results. It now has the Bears at #1 with the 19th O and the 1st D. But it also moved the Eagles up to #2. Tough game. It predicts the Bears win 58%. Bears 21 Eagles 16.
How does it work?