View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Search for:

At what price, do you trade Jordan Howard?
I wouldn't trade him 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
2nd round pick 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
3rd round pick 37%  37%  [ 14 ]
3rd round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4th round pick 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
4th round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5th rounder 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5th round comp pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6th rounder 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
7th rounder 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 38
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 pm 
Head Coach

It appears that Jordan Howard doesn't seem like the best fit for Nagy's razzle dazzle offense. That said, he does clearly play a useful role as the primary RB and sledgehammer ball carrier for short yardage and when it's time to run clock. And, with the adjustment with more zone blocking the last few weeks of the season, Howard's production improved, even if we almost never used him in the passing game outside of a blocker.

As we have discussed here many times, it would be pretty easy to imagine a team with a more traditional offense based on a zone blocking scheme who would value a 2nd in the league in rushing a couple years back player more than the Bears do and be willing to relinquish draft capital to take him off our hands for the last year of his cheap rookie contract. Furthermore, without R1 and R2 picks in the upcoming draft, we're particularly lacking in draft capital, which makes the prospect of acquiring another selection enticing.

Even so, because Howard only has one year left on his deal, it's not like teams are going to give up a king's ransom for a guy who will be cheap for one year, then have his hand out for a bigger payday and perhaps leave as a FA the next year. Perhaps more likely is that a team might trade for him and immediately sign him longer term. But even then, you don't trade big picks for a guy like that when you might be able to wait and sign him to a bigger deal without giving up anything in 2020.

Here's the question... If you're Ryan Pace, what would it take to entice you to trade Jordan Howard?

Answer the poll and discuss.
(Note that I can only specify 10 options in the poll. I figured the offer of a R1 pick was out of the realm of possiblity. Heck a R2 also seems crazy to me, but I included it anyway. I included comp picks as they were kind of "in between" value spots. But I didn't have enough choices to include comp picks for every round.)

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:00 pm 
Assistant Coach

I love me some Howard. If Nagy goes more to the blocking schemes of the last 1/4 of the season over the first 3/4 he can do better. But, don't flame me for this, if Kareem Hunt can be cleared to join a team again I'd take him over Howard with no second thoughts. He would literally be the perfect back for this offense. Can you imagine him and Cohen together?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 pm 
Head Coach

If I'm Ryan Pace, I'm thinking Super Bowl in 2019. It's true that I could use more draft capital and cap room. But there's no guarantee that even a R3 pick is going to contribute RIGHT NOW, which is what I need.

Jordan Howard has value. With the blocking adjustments we made in November/December, Howard goes from a 900-yard back to 1100 or more. And he can block. And he's effective in bad weather, which is important in Chicago. And he can grind out clock with a lead, which we'll need more of. Is he optimal? No. But we're in WIN NOW mode, and I'm not into giving away pieces that work today in the hope of making things better 2 years from now.

My measuing stick says that we can get a better, plug and play RB with more versatility to improve our offense in R2. So that's my price. I think that's pretty unrealistic, so effectively my answer is to keep him. But if somebody's willing to pony up a R2 selection for him, we shake hands, give the guy a big hug and wish him all the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 pm 
Mod

If he’s not in the Bears future plans, then it’s best to get something for him while he’s young and healthy. But it makes the team weaker. Even though he lacks in speed and explosiveness he has elite vision and that’s hard to teach.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:09 pm 
Head Coach

Even in this down year 900 yards isn't awful and his contract is for nothing. The replacement would cost more than keeping him and we don't have all that much brass to spend.

2nd round for me which I don't think anyone would give up. Hopefully Nagy improves his play calling and running game next year (this isn't a criticism, it'd be going from good to elite) and can fit Howard in.

I can see our 3rd rounder going on the type of back he envisions though, especially as there might be value there.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 pm 
MVP

I agree with you that even for just one more year - 2019 is really important. That's where the window is.
And I'm cautiously optimistic about being able to get a 3/4 comp pick if he leaves as a FA.

So it would take a 2. Or maybe a really high 3 on the clock, with someone very coveted available.

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:26 pm 
Head Coach

wab wrote:
If he’s not in the Bears future plans, then it’s best to get something for him while he’s young and healthy. But it makes the team weaker. Even though he lacks in speed and explosiveness he has elite vision and that’s hard to teach.
Random Jordan Howard thoughts... by Jack Handey. :-P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:40 pm 
Assistant Coach

I wouldn’t trade him, especially with one year left on his relatively cheap contract.

That being said, he is not being used to his full potential under Nagy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:54 am 
Practice Squad

Nagy needs to figure out a way to use Howard and get a running game in his scheme. Philly had the razzle-dazzle figured out and shut that down on Sunday, yet #24 only got 10 touches. Because Howard is not this loud, demonstrable a-hole, it's easy to dismiss what he brings to the table. Don't forget this guy broke Matt Forte's rookie record, rushing for over 1300 yards even though he didn't start until the fourth game of the season. We saw him pick up so many blitzing linebackers this season who would have otherwise slaughtered Trubisky. The way Nagy has used him in the game has kind of hurt his effectiveness this year, because he puts him in (when he's not putting in Mizzell or Cunningham, wtf) when it's clear that the intent is to run the ball, and still he picks up first. If Nagy would actually use a backfield of Howard and Cohen frequently, teams would have no idea what the hell to expect, which would benefit the Bears tremendously.

Last edited by Dardango on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 am 
Assistant Coach

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote:
I love me some Howard. If Nagy goes more to the blocking schemes of the last 1/4 of the season over the first 3/4 he can do better. But, don't flame me for this, if Kareem Hunt can be cleared to join a team again I'd take him over Howard with no second thoughts. He would literally be the perfect back for this offense. Can you imagine him and Cohen together?

Hunt can be our kicker too! No more Parkey! 2 birds one stone!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next