View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Search for:
 Post subject: Re: Kicking Kompetition
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

[Biggs] Eddy Piniero and Elliott Fry ended final minicamp practice with each making field goals from 45 yards. “It was awesome finishing the way we did,” Matt Nagy said. Saved the team from conditioning running.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm 
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
If you were betting, would you take Piniero, Fry or somebody else? Pretty even odds each way it seems.

Somebody else. Pace goes all in when there’s a weakness. Traded up for Biscuit. Traded for Mack. Redid almost the entire WR group in one offseason. This will be no different. If he has to trade for Robbie Gould and pay him record money, he will. I don’t doubt Pace’s desire or ability to fix problems on this team anymore. Just in terms of how visible the kicker situation is, Pace has to fix it.

Eventually you run out of picks and/or cap space though...

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am 
Mod

Nagy/Pace are going to go for accuracy, so that's why I'm leaning towards Fry. It also wouldn't surprise me if the kicker that starts the season isn't the kicker that ends the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:15 am 
MVP

malk wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
If you were betting, would you take Piniero, Fry or somebody else? Pretty even odds each way it seems.

Somebody else. Pace goes all in when there’s a weakness. Traded up for Biscuit. Traded for Mack. Redid almost the entire WR group in one offseason. This will be no different. If he has to trade for Robbie Gould and pay him record money, he will. I don’t doubt Pace’s desire or ability to fix problems on this team anymore. Just in terms of how visible the kicker situation is, Pace has to fix it.

There are ways. Bring in 10 guys. Even a kicker like Gould can be had for a very lower round draft choice and we still have a bunch of them next year.

The lifelong fan meatball in me says trade for Gould. But whatever, we can't have a playoff come down to that bullshit again. With the way this offense is, we really shouldn't have to worry about the 50 yard FG all that much. Just get somebody who is automatic from 45 yards and in. If that's Fry, then its Fry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:27 pm 
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote:
malk wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

There are ways. Bring in 10 guys. Even a kicker like Gould can be had for a very lower round draft choice and we still have a bunch of them next year.

The lifelong fan meatball in me says trade for Gould. But whatever, we can't have a playoff come down to that bullshit again. With the way this offense is, we really shouldn't have to worry about the 50 yard FG all that much. Just get somebody who is automatic from 45 yards and in. If that's Fry, then its Fry.

I just meant, particularly with regards to Gould, that Pace can't keep going out and doing whatever it takes to solve a problem.

From a pure business perspective, enough kickers have come out of nowhere that we should do what we've done, offer who we think is the best 4 years for $4m with no guarantees beyond year one and then keep going until it works out. Salary has no correlation to success with kickers so there's little point paying them. The once scenario being if you have a good one when you're solidly in your window then resigning at that point is worthwhile.

It's crazy that Parkey is 21st all time in FG%, just half a point behind Vinatieri. There's a not small part of me that thinks that, in any given season, you have Justin Tucker or it's dumb luck. Gould had poor years in 2005 and 2014, Gostkowski 2006 and 2010, Dan Bailey has fallen off a cliff the past two years, Vanderjagt had 2002 and 2006 (but followed up 2002 with a perfect year, 37 of 37 in 2003). That's the top 5 ever (excluding Lutz's three years for sample size).

Even someone like Vinatieri with a 22 year career had five years over 90% and 7 under 80%.

Now that's really basic analysis but it does seem to indicate that that killer sub 80% year could come at any time.

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:07 am 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Nagy/Pace are going to go for accuracy, so that's why I'm leaning towards Fry. It also wouldn't surprise me if the kicker that starts the season isn't the kicker that ends the season.

The concern I have with Fry is that I've heard reports detailing how some of his kicks would fall short, if not well-short, of the goal posts. That worries me because it ties into concerns over his leg strength, and again in Chicago you need to cut through the teeth of the wind at times.

I'm hoping Pineiro is lights out in camp and carves out a stellar 12-14 year career in Chicago.

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:15 am 
Site Admin

After watching Parkey play the wind lottery and limp-dick his kicks with all the strength and power of a styrafoam cup, I'm cheering for Pineiro, since at the very least he plugs the fuck out of his kicks in the general direction of the uprights.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:54 am 
Site Admin

https://twitter.com/maddogradio/status/ ... 86688?s=21

Cohen reveals that Nagy shows the team the final seconds of the playoff loss to keep it fresh, so they never forget that hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:23 am 
Site Admin

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/video ... nts-winner

Gould: “It’s a complicated situation. The way I’ve kind of approached it is, I want to spend time with my family. And I let my agent handle it, and if anything comes up that I have to make a decision or be in the know, he’ll call me and let me know. But right now there’s nothing to really know, and I’m just enjoying being home and being in Chicago. I’m at a point in my career where my family is what’s going to dictate the decisions that I make.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:56 am 
Hall of Famer

Robbie really is going to force his way back here, isn't he?

David Kaplan reports the Bears don't have interest but who the hell knows...

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next