Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:46 pm
IE wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:45 pm 10 is pretty decent at "throwing to a spot" even deep. But that is to a fault, IMO, and if the receiver isn't in the exact spot well that's it.
You have to wonder if that's how he's been coached. He seems to be the sort of guy who tries to do everything precisely as he's told and is constrained by that. Being a 'reps guy' is one of the labels he's had. He's also played his best football when he's had to cut loose either buying time with his feet or at the end of a half/game, i.e. the situations where he doesn't follow the 'rules'.

Foles on the other hand is a veteran gunslinger type who has the experience and personality to throw balls his way and to stand up to the coach, as we saw on the sideline against Tampa Bay. I can't imagine meek Mitch having such an animated exchange with Nagy. Nor can I imagine Chase Daniels doing it because a journeyman backup can't afford to risk his job by upsetting his coach. Maybe seeing how Foles interacts with Nagy will show Trubisky how to stand up for himself.

The relationship between Nagy and Trubisky has always felt like master and apprentice or a boy desperately wanting to please a father-figure and earn his respect, whereas Foles sees himself and Nagy as equals.
IMO, if you have to be 'taught' how to stand up for yourself, then you're the wrong guy. That is a pretty innate ability for most high achievers in life. QB's in particular are take charge type leaders, it's a part of their job description. Mitch knew it, everyone knows it's part of it...he just didn't have it in him naturally, it was very forced. It's a "you got it or you don't" sort of deal. We're just better off right now, I'm beyond over it.