David Montgomery Love

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15020
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: David Montgomery Love

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 pm

GSH wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 pm
G08 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 pm
Love the kid, but good God damn he needs to catch that mother fucking screen pass that hit him dead in the hands. That was 6.
amazing bears running back that needs to spend hours with a juggs machine. remind you of anyone else we had at that position recently?

good thing about monty compared to howard is that monty doesn't go down if you touch his shoelace
That's the rub, man, the kid has good hands! I thought it was an uncharacteristic drop but it is what it is. Sums up our season thus far in a nut shell.
Image

Mitchell Trubisky in Matt Nagy's Offense:

15-8 record | 65.2% | 4916 yards | 33 TDs | 15 INTs | 6.87 YPA | 91.7 rating
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5947
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am

Re: David Montgomery Love

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:07 am

GSH - Montgomery does NOT have to spend hours with the juggs just because he had one drop. The kid has great hands.

Ritchie - I haven't seen a single person saying "burn it down". I've seen people say OTHER people were saying it... but actually can't remember one saying it. There's an entire thread on the subject, and even there nobody is saying anything really other than they'd like to bench the QB. Benching a starting QB who is demonstrating historically bad production is not calling to burn it down... if anything, it is calling to "try to save it from being burned down by the one guy (the QB)".

I posted this because I believe the focus on the Bears is on the wrong guy. When people talk about the Giants, they talk about Saquon's team. When people talk about the Cowboys, it is Zeke's team. The Panthers? It's McCaffrey (and holy shit, that kid). The Vikes? It's Cook. And on & on.

When people talk about the Bears, it should be David Montgomery's team from now on. Everything should go into making him successful.
Image
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
MVP
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am

Re: David Montgomery Love

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:07 am

Richie wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:00 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm


Yes, you’re right. I was in the Super Bowl Or Bust group. Coming off of a 12-4 season and a double doink away from maybe winning the whole thing. My expectations were based on Mitch and Nagy having a full offseason to develop, Mack and Roquan in camp for a full offseason and I really liked (and still like) having Pagano over Fangio. I would never slight Vic Fangio but Pagano is more aggressive and we have the personnel for that style of defense.

I was also expecting this team to come out and the start the season like escaped mental patients because of the way last season ended. They don’t display that killer instinct. I think that’s a function of coaching.

In sports, the worst thing to be is mediocre. I either want the Bears to be a playoff team or I want them to go 2-14 and get a high draft pick. None of this 7-9 to 9-7 stuff because its harder to really identify what to fix. In this situation we don’t even have the luxury of the draft choice b/c of the Mack trade. I’m just hoping a disastrous season gets Pace to make changes at HC and QB.

What scares about mediocrity in this case is that it allows the situation to be dragged out for a couple more years hoping for the lightbulb to turn on.

The situation we are in is horrible, but it CAN be fixed without a multi year rebuild. The defense is built to win now. The offense has a lot of potential. Next season can still be great.
The notion that fans should prefer being 2-14 and an overhaul/strip/rebuild away from competing. Versus 9-7 and a few tweaks away from competing is just... beyond comprehension. IMO

This team is fantastic one side of the ball with every piece in place. With talent on the offensive side of the ball as well. Just really missing that one big piece at QB. We are still just 8 games removed from a 12-4 season with an NFC North crown. We even started this season 3-1. This is really a story of a tail spin four game stretch. Yes, some bigger picture problems have potentially been exposed. But for Christ's sake... let's get a grip.

Not to mention, there's half of a football season left. Goodness gracious.

Put it this way. Teams like the Dolphins, Jets, etc. would kill to be in our spot and with this much in place. So, why for the love of god would you willingly choose to be them?

The only reason fans like this want it to all burn is because they're emotionally distraught.

The problem with the 9-7 team is they're always "a few tweaks away". 90% of the teams in this league have been like that for decades. What Pace did initially with the rebuild of this team was exactly how it should work.

2015: 6-10
2016: 3-13
2017: 5-11
2018: 12-4

That's perfect. And that's with him squandering first round picks over those four years too. Your comment about being 8 games away from 12-4 is meaningless and doesn't really indicate a point. We might as well be on the moon with the way the offense is playing.

That half of a football season only serves to evaluate personnel. 5 losses midway through the season is a death sentence for the season. Now go ahead and find an anecdotal example out of 1,000 other instances and somehow think you've magically countered that point, but with games left against the Packers, Cowboys and Chiefs this team isn't doing shit.

You want me to be thankful we aren't the Dolphins or Jets? Richie please.

This team can easily be fixed, for next year, but I think that Nagy is too proud and Mitch's head is too scrambled for it to happen.
Image
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: David Montgomery Love

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:39 pm

IE wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:07 am

Ritchie - I haven't seen a single person saying "burn it down". I've seen people say OTHER people were saying it... but actually can't remember one saying it. There's an entire thread on the subject, and even there nobody is saying anything really other than they'd like to bench the QB. Benching a starting QB who is demonstrating historically bad production is not calling to burn it down... if anything, it is calling to "try to save it from being burned down by the one guy (the QB)".
I was responding to someone who wanted it all to burn down. So...

And I've been on-board with Trubisky benching.

You couldn't have misread my post more man.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5947
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am

Re: David Montgomery Love

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Richie wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:39 pm
IE wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:07 am

Ritchie - I haven't seen a single person saying "burn it down". I've seen people say OTHER people were saying it... but actually can't remember one saying it. There's an entire thread on the subject, and even there nobody is saying anything really other than they'd like to bench the QB. Benching a starting QB who is demonstrating historically bad production is not calling to burn it down... if anything, it is calling to "try to save it from being burned down by the one guy (the QB)".
I was responding to someone who wanted it all to burn down. So...

And I've been on-board with Trubisky benching.

You couldn't have misread my post more man.
Sorry, Ritchie - I guess quote it then, because I didn't see anyone say burn the whole thing down.
Image
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: David Montgomery Love

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 am

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:07 am
Richie wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:00 pm


The notion that fans should prefer being 2-14 and an overhaul/strip/rebuild away from competing. Versus 9-7 and a few tweaks away from competing is just... beyond comprehension. IMO

This team is fantastic one side of the ball with every piece in place. With talent on the offensive side of the ball as well. Just really missing that one big piece at QB. We are still just 8 games removed from a 12-4 season with an NFC North crown. We even started this season 3-1. This is really a story of a tail spin four game stretch. Yes, some bigger picture problems have potentially been exposed. But for Christ's sake... let's get a grip.

Not to mention, there's half of a football season left. Goodness gracious.

Put it this way. Teams like the Dolphins, Jets, etc. would kill to be in our spot and with this much in place. So, why for the love of god would you willingly choose to be them?

The only reason fans like this want it to all burn is because they're emotionally distraught.

The problem with the 9-7 team is they're always "a few tweaks away". 90% of the teams in this league have been like that for decades. What Pace did initially with the rebuild of this team was exactly how it should work.

2015: 6-10
2016: 3-13
2017: 5-11
2018: 12-4

That's perfect. And that's with him squandering first round picks over those four years too. Your comment about being 8 games away from 12-4 is meaningless and doesn't really indicate a point. We might as well be on the moon with the way the offense is playing.

That half of a football season only serves to evaluate personnel. 5 losses midway through the season is a death sentence for the season. Now go ahead and find an anecdotal example out of 1,000 other instances and somehow think you've magically countered that point, but with games left against the Packers, Cowboys and Chiefs this team isn't doing shit.

You want me to be thankful we aren't the Dolphins or Jets? Richie please.

This team can easily be fixed, for next year, but I think that Nagy is too proud and Mitch's head is too scrambled for it to happen.
The problem with the 9-7 team is they're always "a few tweaks away".
Except we haven't been mediocre since 2013. NOT ONCE. We were trash for four seasons from 14-17 and then won 12 games in 2018.

You are talking about sustained mediocrity and we haven't even been mediocre one time.

Your entire premise is severely flawed before you even dive into your argument.
90% of the teams in this league have been like that for decades.
There does not exist a SINGLE franchise who falls under this umbrella. Not one... much less 90%. Floating between 7-9ish wins for "decades"?
Your comment about being 8 games away from 12-4 is meaningless and doesn't really indicate a point
I never said that.

I said that the team is 8 games removed from having been 12-4 and winning the North. This isn't even a "point". It was stating a fact. (at the time; we're 9 removed now)
What Pace did initially with the rebuild of this team was exactly how it should work.

2015: 6-10
2016: 3-13
2017: 5-11
2018: 12-4
Worst to first is not the norm. Generally, there is a year in between where you are average to above average. Teams do not typically skip from 4 straight 10+ loss seasons to 12 wins.

This further laments how ridiculous it is that you prefer to be Miami/NYJ.

We just spent four years of suffering to get to where we were just last season.

We did it "exactly how it should work". (Your words)

Now, after 2 months, half of a season... you want to go RIGHT BACK TO THAT POINT AND BEGIN ALL OVER?
Now go ahead and find an anecdotal example out of 1,000 other instances and somehow think you've magically countered that point, but with games left against the Packers, Cowboys and Chiefs this team isn't doing shit.
I'm not sitting here and telling you that we're making the playoffs. I'm not even saying that we have an actual shot. You couldn't be further from the point here.

I am telling you that this team does not have a 1st round pick next year. So, tanking is useless.

While on the subject, though. Yes... You might as well root for this team to go on a run. No matter how improbable. It's absolutely not the norm but every year-ish there's a team who is utterly buried and claws their way into the post-season.

We CLEARLY have too many issues at the moment... but it's not like we're sitting here at 2-8. We were a Minnesota loss vs Dallas tonight away from controlling our own destiny against them for a wild card spot.

For the love of god. Please, do not try and spin this into me saying there's real hope here for 2019. That's not what I am saying.

The point is. When choosing between "Let's tank for Gruden and get him a better pick" and "Hey, there's a small chance!". I will take latter option 1,000 times out of 1,000.
You want me to be thankful we aren't the Dolphins or Jets? Richie please.
I don't even see a CONCIEVABLE ARGUMENT where you would rather be one of those teams than us. We just got done being that... lol. The hell? Now you want to go back? After one... ONE SEASON (hell, a half season) where it didn't go perfectly? After a 4 game losing streak? Good lord above. I have heard it all.

"I would rather be the team whose a total catastrophe without a SINGLE piece in place. Rather than one whose just a DECENT QB play away from being a contender and has an entire side of the ball figured out."

Said no one ever.

If you think those two teams wouldn't take our defensive personnel at the expense of a few more wins. I think you are out of your mind. You SERIOUSLY underestimate how many things have to go right to land on a unit like this. Franchise's WITH great QB's often struggle INCESSENTLY to put a good defense on other side of them.
This team can easily be fixed, for next year, but I think that Nagy is too proud and Mitch's head is too scrambled for it to happen.
I think the entire point here is that Mitch is a main piece which would likely be replaced. Regardless, that does not = let's go back to square one.

Bottom line: The team is low on draft capital, salary cap and is built with the idea of contending inside of the window this defense. We're all-in here through (at the very least) next season.

You spent four years building a home. You finished it and it was beautiful for a year. Now, there's a leak and you want to knock the whole thing down. That's not what you do. You try to fix the leak. You don't get rid of everything good that you have worked so hard on at (literally) the first bump in the road.
User avatar
Mikefive
Head Coach
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Posts: 3288
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: David Montgomery Love

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:43 pm

It occurred to me yesterday that 32 lives up to the quote that should be sacred around here... "Never die easy".
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.

Return to “Halas Hall”