Wk 2 // Bears def. Giants 17-13

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 am I may change this based on Quinn's availability....

But I'm going to predict a low scoring affair as both teams try to establish the running game, making for short quarters / shortening the game.

Bears 16
Gints - 13

Monty plunges one in from 1yd out + 3 Santos FG's

If Quinn doesn't play we might lose, our pass rush simply has to improve for us to have any chance of success this season.
Close!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

That didn't help the old blood pressure
SDakbearsfan4
Rookie

Offense was way too stale in the second half. Would love to have seen us put the Giants away. I still feel like we are wasting a great defense by fielding a poor offense every week. I don't love the play calling, and I'm not confident in Trubisky. We were extremely LUCKY AGAIN
WagonForce
MVP

UOK wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:08 pmThe Massey catch changed the game. That SHOULD NOT BE WHAT CHANGES THE GAME.
Almost spilled my beer reading this one!

Not sure what I make of this game. The defense definitely isn’t giving me confidence, which is the most concerning issue from where I’m sitting.

I thought Mitch looked pretty good. That dime to Miller in the end zone was something, definitely frustrated he couldn’t haul it in.

The good news is the Bears are 2-0 and have put themselves in a position to compete going forward if they can improve. The bad news is I just can’t see this team beating anyone good without a big jump in overall performance.

I’ll take the win and be happy about it. As for what’s ahead, I’ll worry about that tomorrow.
wab
Mod

This defense scares me. I thought Mitch played well...20 million dollar a year receivers catch those two balls.

Montgomery had a good day, the OL looks good.

Defense needs to figure it the hell out though.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

2-0, for the first time in quite awhile. Played 2 teams that are not in the top of the league.

The D is playing just good enough. The O.........needs to score more points. Love the run game today. Hate that MIller dropped 2 important balls.

For me, not a very fun team to watch. Seemed like the entire team went into prevent.

Barkley doesn't get hurt, I believe the Bears lose.
WP.1
Player of the Month

dplank wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:05 pm And I’ll people will say is “we only gave up 13”. If you can’t see the flaw there and realize this defense has issues, you simply do not understand the game.
same = Offense

since 2018
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

We got the W. This was a tough game to watch, but we got lucky the Montgomery injury wasn't bad.
We've got to get better every week, because what we've seen isn't good enough to beat good teams.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Soprano00
Rookie

Nagy is the problem, he doesn't have a winning mentality. Look the Bills, they were winning by 4, they went with long throws into the endzone to close the game.
Nagy doesn't trust Trubisky to do the same and always goes extra conservative.
Even the playoff game with the Eagles was lost for the same reason. Loser mentality.
wab
Mod

Soprano00 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:55 pm Nagy is the problem, he doesn't have a winning mentality. Look the Bills, they were winning by 4, they went with long throws into the endzone to close the game.
Nagy doesn't trust Trubisky to do the same and always goes extra conservative.
Even the playoff game with the Eagles was lost for the same reason. Loser mentality.
If Nagy doesn’t trust something, it’s he defense.
G08
Hall of Famer

What is this, boys??

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Funkster
MVP

The giants had zero timeouts with under 2 minutes to play and they couldn’t muster 1 sack, with multiple 3rd down opportunities. I’m sorry but the defense was built and is paid handsomely to go win that game.

I also don’t get the mid game sputter or how this team can never collectively play consistently. Good teams fire on all cylinders consistently, the bears haven’t shown they can do that since the 18’ season. This isn’t solely on the QB, Miller was hot last week, this week he dropped an easy TD and a harder but should be 1st down.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

As expected a lot of up and down play in this game and I think that continues for a couple more weeks with no preseason.

Defense looked a little better pressure wise but gassed in the end. We are out of shape yet.

Mitch looked almost flawless the first half and stumbled the 2nd half. Robinson does need to come down with that ball on the sideline. Miller needs to catch both the TD and the first down throws.

Nagy had some Nagy moments the 2nd half with questionable playcalling.

But, they are managing wins while not playing anywhere near their best, which could be competition and could be rust.

Overall, hard to bitch about a win, but it should have been a blowout.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

Just going to call this like I see it...

I’m sick and tired of Nagy! I hate him more than any coach we’ve ever had. He’s not a winner! Mitch wasn’t the problem, Mitch didn’t have a shaky second half. Nagy did what Nagy does...I’m up at the half how can I quit playing Offense, “bend but don’t break” on defense and run out the clock entire 2nd half. That’s what Nagy was thinking at half time because that’s what he ALWAYS thinks at half time when the Bears are up.

He’s terrible! He should have kept playing ball, let Mitch gain confidence on another bad team. NOPE...escape with a win, not defeat a team...the Nagy mantra.

I’ll continue to watch every single snap of the 2020 season, just like I’ve watched the last 30, but I’m really tired of this team and I’m DEFINITELY tired of Nagy.

This could be a really good team if we had an actual HC and actual DC. Pagano is the same garbage or somehow actually worse at his job than Nagy.
GSH
MVP

well gents, that was a football game.

your 2-0 chicago bears
GSH
MVP

donkeykong wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:20 pm Just going to call this like I see it...

I’m sick and tired of Nagy! I hate him more than any coach we’ve ever had. He’s not a winner! Mitch wasn’t the problem, Mitch didn’t have a shaky second half. Nagy did what Nagy does...I’m up at the half how can I quit playing Offense, “bend but don’t break” on defense and run out the clock entire 2nd half. That’s what Nagy was thinking at half time because that’s what he ALWAYS thinks at half time when the Bears are up.

He’s terrible! He should have kept playing ball, let Mitch gain confidence on another bad team. NOPE...escape with a win, not defeat a team...the Nagy mantra.

I’ll continue to watch every single snap of the 2020 season, just like I’ve watched the last 30, but I’m really tired of this team and I’m DEFINITELY tired of Nagy.

This could be a really good team if we had an actual HC and actual DC. Pagano is the same garbage or somehow actually worse at his job than Nagy.
i dont see how you can hate nagy more than Trestman or Fox.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I thought it was a piss poor effort, against a piss poor team. Again Nagy's shitty play calling rears its ugly head. He never tried to get Mitch into a rhythm, He called the game like he was scared to win. We will get blown out by mediocre teams with an effort like that.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:08 pm
RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:06 pm also dont fucking try that 50 yard field goal. punt and pin them deep, they need a TD regardless. fucking hate that decision.
Thing is you can't trust the defense. Worst defense in the NFL at surrendering drives of 90+ yards.

I like the FG try, it's the abhorrent decisions to pass on 3rd and short in crucial drives in a tight game when the clock is not on your side. The Massey catch changed the game. That SHOULD NOT BE WHAT CHANGES THE GAME.
I mean, yeah, totally, a few head scratchers there at the end, but I feel like you're deciding that you trust your second choice at field goal kicker there over what SHOULD be a top 5 defense in this league.
wab
Mod

donkeykong wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:20 pm Just going to call this like I see it...

I remember my first beer.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Sorry I missed you guys on Discord. Out camping, and internet is very spotty. Did get to watch the game, glad we held them off. Go Bears.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I didn’t think Nagy was that bad. We all wanted him to run and stick with it, and he has for 2 games now - both wins. Trubisky played well IMO, again, Miller didn’t help him at all. Disappointed in his play all around. Think we could throw short to our TEs more.

Pagano on the other hand...as bad as I feared. I sure hope they are building Quinn’s playing time up, Minho isn’t any good. I know we are stuck with Chuck for 2020, but Nagy HAS to realize how far this group has fallen - 13 points be damned.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Worth noting that after last week when the Bears offense had just one penalty (a delay of game) they followed up with just one penalty this week, Ifedi's chop block.

That's impressively clean, especially by the offensive line. No false starts, no holds, no illegal hands to the face, all of which happened all too frequently last year.

Overall, with a much improved offensive line and running game helping an improved Trubisky it feels odd that this team still seems to struggle to put points on the board.
IotaNet
MVP

GSH wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:28 pm

I’m sick and tired of Nagy! I hate him more than any coach we’ve ever had ...
i dont see how you can hate nagy more than Trestman or Fox.
Or for that matter, Dick Jauron or Dave Wannstedt
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
IotaNet
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:37 pm Trubisky played well IMO, again, Miller didn’t help him at all. Disappointed in his play all around.
This for sure. Miller's inconsistency drives me up a wall. IMO, the #2 WR is supposed to be MONEY on short-medium throws (think Adam Thielen or Cooper Kupp). Miller came out of his rookie training camp surrounded by all kinds of hype that I don't feel like he has consistently delivered. He's known for being "scrappy" and "fiery" but he is nowhere as consistent as (I think) he needs to be,
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
wab
Mod

It didn’t feel like this, but the Bears defense held the Giants to 295 yards in total offense, they had 4 sacks, an interception, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, 5 tackles for loss, and 5 passes defended. They also held New York to 3 for 13 on 3rd downs, although they were 3 for 3 on 4th downs.
wab
Mod

I stay away from “but if” statements, but if Miller catches that TD and Robinson catches the two balls that he should have, this game feels much different.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I don't think either Int was on Mitch. The 2nd obviously wasn't Robinson let a dude wrestle the ball out of his hands. But the first I'll argue that was also Robinson's fault because he stood still, allowed the defender to come around him to pop it up, didn't even try to box him out.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Good: Mitch had a good 2 quarters vs 1.
Bad: after having 5 TD and no INT he throws 2 INT when we have a nice lead against a struggling and short handed team.

Good: D gives up only 13
Bad: Pagano seems like he is firmly bend but don't break and not scheming to take advantage of talent he has.

Good: Kmet sighting, Mooney looks promising.
Bad: Miller did nothing.

Good: 2-0. Wins we didn't get last year against some bad teams.
Bad: wins against teams that will draft in top 10 that we didn't have a good (complete) game against on either side of the ball.

We've won the games we should have but it's not pretty. Maybe this is still playing into shape and getting up to speed but seems like end result will be closer to 2019 than 2018.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
spudbear
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:39 pm Worth noting that after last week when the Bears offense had just one penalty (a delay of game) they followed up with just one penalty this week, Ifedi's chop block.

That's impressively clean, especially by the offensive line. No false starts, no holds, no illegal hands to the face, all of which happened all too frequently last year.

Overall, with a much improved offensive line and running game helping an improved Trubisky it feels odd that this team still seems to struggle to put points on the board.
It looked like Massie fell on him while Ifedi was just starting to make his block. It caused him to slip and drop. It was more of a fall than a block, but the refs are going to call it. Like when Roquan tried to avoid Jones, seemed to but it looked close so they call it.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
docc
Head Coach

I watched a lot of the games today. KC v Chargers..looked a lot like the Bears game...and KC is the "all world" team.. Several games looked like preseason games with huffing D players in 4th..and even 3rd quarter.

Sometimes fans get tunnel vision on their team..
KC board bitchin..
"We have 3 timeouts and the chargers had the ball. Andy sat there and let the chargers run down almost 30 seconds before kicking their field goal. We should have called a timeout and save us all that time.

We didn't use a single timeout as we went the length of the field before running out of time and kicking a 58 yrd field goal to tie it. If we had used those timeouts we could have ran about 3 more plays and maybe won the game. We damn well would have had a shorter field goal to kick.

3 timeouts and Andy didn't use one until Mahomes used one after a scramble with like 30 seconds left.

It was a joke. He has no idea how to management the clock, he never has. "

"The last thing we needed was a brutal OT game. They're beat to shit and have to travel all the way across the country to play the mother****ing ratbirds.
Yep so if we get our asses kicked next week no need to be upset. "
"This was a tough game to watch; the Chiefs looked out of sync on both sides of the ball, missed tackles, dropped passes, penalties, etc. This was the exact type of game that the 90s Chiefs would lose to a team with a top QB. Dominate the game and find a way to lose it."

If..buts..and bitchin..just as it is..