2021 QB Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

You can but it has to be perfect. A HOF Qb masks a lot of scars.
cblaz11
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 am You can but it has to be perfect. A HOF Qb masks a lot of scars.
Agreed...a lot. I’ll even argue that a top 10 QB even makes your defense better. That’s why I’m going all in if they identify the guy.

Also, and I know I’ll get hate for this, but it’s completely realistic to think that Pace has learned from past draft mistakes. I’m hoping that helps him when evaluating these young QBs.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:17 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 am You can but it has to be perfect. A HOF Qb masks a lot of scars.
Agreed...a lot. I’ll even argue that a top 10 QB even makes your defense better. That’s why I’m going all in if they identify the guy.

Also, and I know I’ll get hate for this, but it’s completely realistic to think that Pace has learned from past draft mistakes. I’m hoping that helps him when evaluating these young QBs.
While he may have learned, he also maybe just bad at it. So far the trend line isnt good. But there is a saying about a broken clock.
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:49 pm If there’s a guy that can be a 10-12 year starter..I’m all for pulling the trigger. I’m done with QB hell.

It’s the most important position in sports...If you don’t have a QB, you don’t have a chance
RustyTrubisky wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:07 am absolutely. when the trade was fresh so many people were like "how often does trading the house for a qb work out?" and it's like, how often does winning it all without a true franchise qb work out?

you do absolutely anything and everything to find that guy! i swear if i could travel back in time and kill one person, it'd be john harbaugh, because that ravens team is still used today to validate every knuckle headed idea that you can win with a great defense and a ball control offense.

Sure, but who is this "10-12 year starter", and how do you know 100% for sure?

Somethings to consider:

What is the hit rate on first round QBs?

What happened the last time we moved up because we had "conviction" on a QB?

Do we really want to burn 3 first round picks to move up?
(Keep in mind this is the Chicago fucking Bears so the heavy odds are that we will whiff and whiff hard).

The ONLY QB in this draft I'm selling the farm for is Zach Wilson.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i'm not saying there isnt significant risk involved, only that if you dont take that risk you're fucked, so you have to try.

There's some very real parallels between now and 2017, and this time back in 2017 we were trying to talk ourselves into a mid round brad kaaya or deshone kizer and seriously, would this team have been in any better shape?
IE
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:29 am i'm not saying there isnt significant risk involved, only that if you dont take that risk you're fucked, so you have to try.

There's some very real parallels between now and 2017, and this time back in 2017 we were trying to talk ourselves into a mid round brad kaaya or deshone kizer and seriously, would this team have been in any better shape?
Yes - because of the opportunity cost of trading up for Mitch. Two 3rd rounders and a 4th rounder... perhaps the Oline would have been much better with a couple of those picks going there? Then plus having drafted those other guys outside of the 1st round the vested level is dramatically different. Who knows - maybe the Bears would have NOT traded for Mack and had first rounders to grab a first rounder in '18 after Glennon led the team to 4-12. OR maybe they rode Glennon for 2 years to 7-9 and signed some FA journeyman again but "accidentally" picked Minshew in the 5th and then had him last year and this with a better line and really good D.

So yes - emphatically yes.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
cblaz11
MVP

We can’t let the past shape the future...No other position changes a franchise like QB especially with the rules now a days. The right QB can play for 15 years...
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:09 pm We can’t let the past shape the future...No other position changes a franchise like QB especially with the rules now a days. The right QB can play for 15 years...
Yes, he can. Where is he?

Do we keep burning down the future to take swings at the top of the draft?

Who is to say Davis Mills won't be a top 10 QB in Nagy's offense?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:24 pm Do we keep burning down the future to take swings at the top of the draft?
The answer to this has been an emphatic "yes" by approximately half of this board. It's apparently endorsed for a cycle every 4-7 years.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IE
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:37 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:24 pm Do we keep burning down the future to take swings at the top of the draft?
The answer to this has been an emphatic "yes" by approximately half of this board. It's apparently endorsed for a cycle every 4-7 years.
Until you get a franchise QB? Maybe - sure! You're missing the whole "keep trying until you succeed - and then once you succeed you stay successful" part.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

No more than you're missing the whole "tanking is no guarantee of landing a star" part.

We'll agree to disagree that there's only one way to get there.
KFFL refugee.

IE
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:06 pm No more than you're missing the whole "tanking is no guarantee of landing a star" part.

We'll agree to disagree that there's only one way to get there.
I assure you accepting just being marginally competitive and not taking risks isn't going to get you anywhere good, or satisfying (even if not being embarrassed is satisfying).

You literally said people "want to tank" over & over again - which is false. People just want to keep trying UNTIL they find a winner.

You clearly value risk avoidance and high floors, even at the cost of high ceilings... not taking calculated risks because like you said nothing is guaranteed. I'll suggest it does guarantee something; It gets you 8-8 and a good handful of humiliating losses every year (likely to the Packers).

To me, that is maddening.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I have no problem with calculated risk.

I have plenty of problem with gambling.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If Mac Jones is still available at picks 13 or 15 (no trades with the Vikes at 14), would you trade both #1 and #2 this year but no additional or future picks for him? I'd take the chance, there's some depth at OT and WR this year.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:18 pm If Mac Jones is still available at picks 13 or 15 (no trades with the Vikes at 14), would you trade both #1 and #2 this year but no additional or future picks for him? I'd take the chance, there's some depth at OT and WR this year.
Yeah I can see it. We wouldn't be selling the farm to do it like the trades that would be required to move up into the top 10 or so.

Mac Jones does give me the willies because he played on such a good team. I just don't know about his arm strength in that he doesn't seem to throw a fast ball, but he does make a lot of tight passes so he's accurate.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i hate the idea of trading up purely because i do not want to listen to a year of mouth breathing bear fans demanding he start every time dalton doesnt look like an all pro.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:13 am i hate the idea of trading up purely because i do not want to listen to a year of mouth breathing bear fans demanding he start every time dalton doesnt look like an all pro.
A Chicago traditon: most popular guy in town is the backup QB. Until he gets a chance to play, of course.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:20 pm
RustyTrubisky wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:13 am i hate the idea of trading up purely because i do not want to listen to a year of mouth breathing bear fans demanding he start every time dalton doesnt look like an all pro.
A Chicago traditon: most popular guy in town is the backup QB. Until he gets a chance to play, of course.
Pretty much true in every NFL city without a franchise guy.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:06 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:20 pm

Pretty much true in every NFL city without a franchise guy.
Oh yeah, absolutely. We're no better or worse.

But, and I know this is partially my fault for letting it get to me, I HATE the grand declarative narratives that pop up around such moves. I could go back in this forum and dig up 800 posts of people, the moment after Pace traded up for Mitch, declaring that "their fates are now intertwined." It's why everyone was so mad this offseason when he wasnt fired. WE SAID THEIR FATES ARE INTERTWINED!

And we all know that the reason Mitch was bad QB had nothing to do with him, it's because he had to play a few games in his first season, and that ruined him!

It's obvious that they have a plan. Sit a rookie for a year and let him learn. Whether this is a good plan or not is irrelevant. I just want to let the chips fall where they may.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Interesting PFF article going over some statistical attributes of the QB's.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl ... -mac-jones
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:22 pm Interesting PFF article going over some statistical attributes of the QB's.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl ... -mac-jones
Great stuff -- thanks!
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm trying to decide which throw impressed me most. Love Lance's arm. And Lawrence's deep touch... man. And Zach Wilson might be the next Brett Favre or Mahomes with his off-platform throws (nice to have if you have a sketch Oline lol). Fields being the most accurate for throws beyond 5 yards really impresses. He's better than he's being advertised, and all I hear is the same kind of nebulous "concerns" with hard-to-prove rumors about "work ethic" and such that smell like racist crap to me (sorry - please nobody comment on that it's just MY opinion).

But when all is said and done the throw I liked best and I personally think is the most applicable and most common in games is Mill's anticipation and tight throw. Sure his "metric" was quick release - but that's not what impressed me about that throw. I guess when you're releasing it quickly it does give you a better ability to sneak the ball past defenders who catching up and aren't as ready to defend. I see that and I think of the Bears' twitchy guys like Mooney, Miller and Cohen feasting with a guy who can throw them open SUPER quickly with no hesitation and good decision-making. I'm liking MIlls.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:33 pmFields being the most accurate for throws beyond 5 yards really impresses. He's better than he's being advertised, and all I hear is the same kind of nebulous "concerns" with hard-to-prove rumors about "work ethic" and such that smell like racist crap to me (sorry - please nobody comment on that it's just MY opinion).
Cosigned.

I'm on record as being a Mills fan, but I believe Fields should be QB2, ahead of the rest (including Wilson). The "questions" around him seem like the same "questions" that about every African-American QB that enters the draft.
KFFL refugee.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

pff stats can be wonky and not reliable. But I find this unique.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:11 am pff stats can be wonky and not reliable. But I find this unique.

Definitely interesting.

I wouldn't Abandon Ship on Lawrence or anything, but something to think about on the others.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i'm team fields and this is great but also i cant shake the nagging feeling that this metric is EXTREMELY wonky.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the top 4/5 QBs are great or busts. I think the 49ers are likely targeting he or wilson.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The top 3 picks will be QBs, leaving 2 "premium" prospects for NE, Washington, Denver, and the Bears to pick over. I have a feeling that Bellichick will never use a #1 pick on a QB (the Brady syndrome, he'll expect to strike paydirt in a lower round), leaving 3 teams for 2 guys. There will also be less pressure in the 2nd from teams picking a QB (Vikes, Lions enter the picture?) and precluding the Bears from having to move up for one in the 2nd.
wab
Mod

I'd still love for the Bears to land Fields... I just don't think moving into the top 5-8 to do it is all that wise.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:47 am I'd still love for the Bears to land Fields... I just don't think moving into the top 5-8 to do it is all that wise.
Give me Mond or Mills at #52 and let's call it a day.

Maybe trade down from #20 and pick up an extra second round pick as well.