Mel Wulfy Jr's Mock Draft Version 1.0

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wulfy
MVP

Used ProFootballNetwork's Mock Draft simulator.

Round 1: ** Trade with Tampa Bay ** Details: Chicago gives R1 (20) and R3 (83)
and receives Tampa’s R1 (32), R2 (64) and next year’s R2.

Round 1 (32): Greg Newsome II | CB | Northwestern
With the departure of Kyle Fuller and Desmond Trufant’s injury history/short term contract, CB may very well be the position of the most importance on the roster. I’ve seen Newsome play several times in person and on television – he is a big, physical corner who excels at press coverage (an important trait if we are returning to the “Fangio” way of playing defense). And this is a Bizarre Concept for the Bears – actually acquiring draft capital for next year vs giving it away.

Round 2a (52): Dillon Radunz | OT | North Dakota State
Both Nagy and Pace made the trip to Fargo for NDSU’s Pro Day and besides trying to get into John Schneider’s pants, they also watched their Senior Bowl heartthrob Dillon Radunz. Big, mean corn-fed SOB who could project to LT, but definitely will fill the bill at RT. With Leno and Ifedi back this year, no need to rush him into the lineup right away as he will need a little time to adjust to the competition jump.

Round 2b (64): Davis Mills | QB | Stanford
Just like Jerry Angelo built his 2006 Draft around acquiring Dusty Dvoracek (facepalm), I also built my draft around acquiring a mid-round player in Davis Mills. Hopefully Mills works out better. When you consider arm talent, touch, stature and athletic talent – Mills can hang with anyone in the draft. But much like Mitch before him, he doesn’t have a lot of tape with COVID really affecting the PAC-10 season. But unlike Mitch, he has the year to sit and learn behind QB1 with the full attention of Flip, Lazor and Nagy (God help him!)

Round 5 (164): Simi Fehoko Jr | WR | Stanford
While watching videos on Mills, I kept coming back to his WR that was running sharp routes and was a real threat in the Red Zone … Simi Fehoko, #13 in your program and #1 in your heart. Clearly, he has great chemistry with Mills (which doesn’t hurt) and second I was surprised to see his size/speed ratio (6-4/227 and ran a 4.37). While the entire Bears organization (including George and Ted) have a pup tent for Darnell Mooney – I think he’s too small to play outside consistently. I really like this kid and think he can will knock at least Juice Wims off the roster and could contend for a starting job down the line.

Round 6a (204): Aashari Crosswell | S | Arizona State
Safety seemingly every year is an area of need and so far, that trend continues. I like Croswell as a big of a thumper with enough range to cover when asked. Not sure he’ll ever start but will provide some good special teams depth. I have a bit of a bias for DBs coming out of ASU as I think Herm Edwards develops players pretty well at that position.

Round 6b (208): Dax Milne | WR | BYU
Ridiculously productive WR (helps to have a stud QB to make you look good) who reminds me a bit of Adam Thielen when came out of Minnesota-Mankato. A rich man’s Tanner Gentry – gets good separation through great route running, not overly fast (4.54) and but not real big (6-0, 180) or fast (4.54). Not sure if he can really contribute on Special Teams – but I predict in the 2nd preseason game of the year he will have 11 catches for 133 yards and 2 TDs – thus forever endearing him to us and dominating talk radio for the next 2 months.

Round 6c (221): Alaric Jackson | OT | Iowa
ImageNot sure if it’s a good sign or bad sign, but Alaric Jackson reminds me of Charles Leno Jr. Rangy, athletic with good feet who was well coached (former NFL line coach Kirk Ferentz) who you’d just would like to be a little nastier. With Leno and Ifedi both out of contract next year, the Beloved need to add some bodies at tackle to see if they can solve on the cheap.

Round 6d (228): Paddy Fisher |LB| Northwestern
Another victim of my watching too much NU Football, Paddy Fisher has been a stud since the day he walked on the Evanston campus. He’s one of those guys that the Packers draft and we wind up watching them being way better than we thought for years (Dean Lowery is a great example).
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Very Similar to a PFN draft that I did. Also, traded out at #20 to 30. Got Teven Jenkins there. Got Newsome in the second (he fell). And Davis with my second second. With my third I got Jaelon Darden and in the fifth I got S Divine Deablo. Like mine better than yours.

There is a couple of things you can garner from these mocks. There are a lot of OTs and CBs in this draft, so if you trade down, and your guy goes, there should be somebody else there.

There are a couple of big safeties I really like: Nasrilladeen and Deablo. Wasn't impressed with your sixth round safety Wulfy. He lost his starting spot in 2020. Was suspended for violating team policy (my guess is pot), and then opted out. Don't think that Pace will take him.

You Stanford WR look really intriguing. I noticed him when watching tape of Mills.
wulfy
MVP

Great minds think alike, YdB. Teven Jenkins is another strong consideration for me in R1.

You watch a lot more PAC-10 football than I do, so I'll cross Crosswell off the list.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Crosswell is a decent prospect, but his departure from ASU absolutely needs to be vetted. In the 6th he wouldn't bother me as a roll of the dice.

I don't have a lot of faith in Jackson or Fisher, but it's late Day 3, so I can't really gripe all that much either.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I think it's pretty obvious that what Wulfy doesnt understand here is that, when Dusty and Tommie are both at full health, may god have mercy on anyone who lines up across from them. My projections show this happening sometime in the next decade and frankly, I cant wait.
Z Bear
MVP

Fisher is too slow, 4.9 40 was slower than Rashawn Slater. There are much better late round LB prospects.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:42 pm Great minds think alike, YdB. Teven Jenkins is another strong consideration for me in R1.

You watch a lot more PAC-10 football than I do, so I'll cross Crosswell off the list.
Sorry to ruin it for you guys. But I've been looking at those same guys in mocks I've done.

I like your draft a lot. Started looking at Fisher recently and I like him. I also like the tape I've watched on Wallow out of TCU.

Regarding your trade, that's one I see on some sims I've done, but I keep the 3rd round pick and don't get the 2nd in '22. Mostly because I think that is more likely what Pace would try to do. He needs players this year.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 am Fisher is too slow, 4.9 40 was slower than Rashawn Slater. There are much better late round LB prospects.
I personally love Paddy Fisher. I think he's not a guy who cares about running straight. He has excellent lateral quickness and knows angles enough to always be in the right place. for a 6-7th round guy, I think he's a great football player.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

@wulfy
I like the positions in the first 3 picks. For the value of staying in the 1st round, I would reach for a QB there for the 5th year option. There are 3-4 CB's that should be there in the 2nd round and the same with good OT's.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Z Bear
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:17 pm I personally love Paddy Fisher. I think he's not a guy who cares about running straight. He has excellent lateral quickness and knows angles enough to always be in the right place. for a 6-7th round guy, I think he's a great football player.
We all complained about how slow Kwit was and DT is, taking a slower LB does not make sense in today's NFL. You do not want to take one of your LBs out on passing downs.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:52 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:17 pm I personally love Paddy Fisher. I think he's not a guy who cares about running straight. He has excellent lateral quickness and knows angles enough to always be in the right place. for a 6-7th round guy, I think he's a great football player.
We all complained about how slow Kwit was and DT is, taking a slower LB does not make sense in today's NFL. You do not want to take one of your LBs out on passing downs.
I disagree. I think having a thumper on the roster is as much a part of today's NFL as having a couple run stuffing DT's or a Run blocking TE. Sure it'd be nice to have coaches that are aware of our players' limitations and scheme around them, but you can't always get what you want.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:22 pm @wulfy
I like the positions in the first 3 picks. For the value of staying in the 1st round, I would reach for a QB there for the 5th year option. There are 3-4 CB's that should be there in the 2nd round and the same with good OT's.
But what QB would you be reaching for there? At that point your reaching for the likes of Davis, Trask or Mond. I was a huge Trask fan but I've cooled off on him. Why reach for a guy you can get in the second round and take a lessor OT / CB with your second or third pick. To me Newman (with a 5th year option) plus Davis is better than Davis (with a 5th year option) plus whatever CB you take at 64.

Now if somehow Jones was still on the board, I could maybe see that. in that case Jones (with a 5th year) + the CB you got at 64 might be of greater value than what Wulfy picked.
Hoog
Player of the Month

I am all in on the trade down now but would really look to get Cosi there.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:25 pm
Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:52 pm

I disagree. I think having a thumper on the roster is as much a part of today's NFL as having a couple run stuffing DT's or a Run blocking TE. Sure it'd be nice to have coaches that are aware of our players' limitations and scheme around them, but you can't always get what you want.
All I can say is that Scooby Wright of ASU is one of my all time favorite linebackers coming out of college. He was hurt three games into his senior season and still had 236 career tackle with 125 TFLs, 16 sacks, a pick, and 6 FFs. In his last healthy year, he had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs. He ran a 4.9 40. Played in 13 games in two years and put up six total tackles. He's now bouncing around the XFL and the Spring League.

Make of that what you will.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:13 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:22 pm @wulfy
But what QB would you be reaching for there? At that point your reaching for the likes of Davis, Trask or Mond. I was a huge Trask fan but I've cooled off on him. Why reach for a guy you can get in the second round and take a lessor OT / CB with your second or third pick. To me Newman (with a 5th year option) plus Davis is better than Davis (with a 5th year option) plus whatever CB you take at 64.

Now if somehow Jones was still on the board, I could maybe see that. in that case Jones (with a 5th year) + the CB you got at 64 might be of greater value than what Wulfy picked.
I still think Trask will go before our current 2nd round pick. Getting him with a 5th year option along with an Eric Stokes who I think is almost as good as Newsome would be my preference. If needed, I sacrifice a 2nd next year to move up from the 3rd to secure an OT.
cblaz11
MVP

I’ve been watching a lot of tape on the 2nd tier QBs...Mond, Mills, Newman, and Trask specifically.

After just watching highlights, I had them ranked as Mills, Trask, Newman, Mond...

After watching full games, Trask sky rocketed and Mills came down. He just makes some terrible decisions and it seemed like the coaches didn’t trust him. Trask on the other hand, the offense ran through him and it was clear the coaches wanted him to be the guy who controlled their fate.

Newman was solid, Mond will have DCs licking their chops at the next level.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:37 pm I’ve been watching a lot of tape on the 2nd tier QBs...Mond, Mills, Newman, and Trask specifically.

After just watching highlights, I had them ranked as Mills, Trask, Newman, Mond...

After watching full games, Trask sky rocketed and Mills came down. He just makes some terrible decisions and it seemed like the coaches didn’t trust him. Trask on the other hand, the offense ran through him and it was clear the coaches wanted him to be the guy who controlled their fate.

I know my answer, but would you pull the trigger on Trask at the end of the 1st, so you get an extra year?
cblaz11
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:40 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:37 pm I’ve been watching a lot of tape on the 2nd tier QBs...Mond, Mills, Newman, and Trask specifically.

I know my answer, but would you pull the trigger on Trask at the end of the 1st, so you get an extra year?
I want to wait until his pro day...but I’d be open to trading back into the end of the 1st for a QB. As of now, Trask is the only 2nd tier guy I like that early.

I think there will be some very good talent on the board at 20 and I don’t want to trade down. Also, if Fields or Mac slip to the 11-13 range, I’d trade up for either.
cblaz11
MVP

As far as this mock goes, I like the trade down but not the players. It just seems...too cute.

Wulfy, take the trade down and give me Eichenberg in the 1st and Trask with that next pick....I’m more excited.
docc
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:44 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:25 pm

All I can say is that Scooby Wright of ASU is one of my all time favorite linebackers coming out of college. He was hurt three games into his senior season and still had 236 career tackle with 125 TFLs, 16 sacks, a pick, and 6 FFs. In his last healthy year, he had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs. He ran a 4.9 40. Played in 13 games in two years and put up six total tackles. He's now bouncing around the XFL and the Spring League.

Make of that what you will.
UH..NO ASSU..Scooby was a leader at U Of A Wildcats..