The official "My Guy" Thread

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:00 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:53 pm My guy is Rashod Bateman. He’s got great route running that creates separation, plus when he can’t separate he can use his 33” (!!) arms to snatch the ball. I think he could be everything we like about Robinson, but at a fraction of the price. I can’t believe he’ll be available at 52 and I really feel like OT is the right choice at 20, so maybe he would be part of a trade back scenario
I like him quite a bit too, talented kid. I don't see how he'll be there at 52 though.
I keep going back and forth and I finally realized what's going on in my brain - I can't decide if I'm drafting for a Nagy offense or for a "post Nagy" offense. Cause I don't really want this guy in a Nagy offense, but I' love him in a non-Nagy offense. Just looking at KC, they don't have any possession WR's on their team - Kelce is their volume catcher / move the chains guy. Rather, they load up with burner after burner and threaten the deep ball all game long, opening up both the running game and the underneath stuff that Kelce thrives on.

Here in Chicago, we haven't had any legit burners (only Mooney now, he'd qualify barely) and we haven't had a QB that delivered a good deep ball (Trubisky's worst throws IMO). This has compressed the field and made everything harder for us. We need to open it up and the only way to do that is to have real, multiple deep threats on every play. I'm kinda talking myself in to wanting Toney in this draft, even over OL which I can't believe I'm saying lol...
Z Bear
MVP

I have done so many auto mocks that I have favorites everywhere. I wanted to give "My Guys" at each position in each round using Tony Pauline's big board, https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl- ... -rankings/

I think they need to come out of the first two days with a CB, OT, and QB so that is all I am listing for the first 3 rounds. Can use two OTs and CBs so listing them on day 3 as well.

1st
CB - Greg Newsome
OT - Tevin Jenkins
QB - Mac Jones

2nd
CB - Kelvin Joseph
OT - Dillon Radunz
QB - Kyle Trask

3rd
CB - Robert Rochell/Benjamin St-Juste
OT - Jackson Carman
QB - Davis Mills

5th
CB - Keith Taylor
DL - Marvin Wilson
ILB - Garret Wallow
OLB - Shaka Toney
OT - Tommy Doyle
S - Divine Deablo
TE - Zach Davidson
WR - Simi Fehoko

6th
CB - Nahshon Wright
DL - Jaylen Twyman
ILB - K.J. Britt
OLB - Malcolm Koonce
OT - Landon Young
S - Joshuah Bledsoe
TE - Quintin Morris
WR - Cade Johnson
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:50 pm
For a later round RB, my guy is Jermar Jefferson of Oregon State. He killed my Ducks this year to the tune of 226 yards and two scores. He can catch too, but for some strange reason, he went from 25 catches in his first year to only nine in each of his next two seasons.
Bears just hired his position coach (Michael Pitre) as their new RBs coach, replacing the departed Charles London.
I know. ;) Also the RB Coach of both Nall and Pierce, so you know the Bears know about my guy. I just can't see them addressing RB in this draft.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

In the spirit of what the "my guy" thread is supposed to be, I'm going with Robert Rochell CB University of Central Arkansas. I've been able to watch him during his career and think he will be a great addition. He will need a year playing special teams/nickle to get some seasoning to make the jump, but think he should be able to be a starting CB in the NFL.

I thought I posted about him earlier but I don't see my post here.

FWIW - "my guys" were always meant to be later round guys no one knew about to help other board members find hidden gems.

COME ON DPLANK!!!!!! YOU KNOW BETTER!!!!! :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
wulfy
MVP

ArkBear: Robert Rochell, CB, Central Arkansas

dplank: My guy is Trevor Lawrence!!!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Lol. Wasn't it Erie who used to do mock drafts where he would have picked Trevor Lawrence with #20, Sewell in the second...up to Jenkins in the sixth.
G08
Hall of Famer

I guess "my guy" was Zach Wilson before he blew up and likely has become the second overall pick.

For the Bears... shit, I don't know. Too many different directions this thing can go and I haven't taken a deep dive into the prospects like I have in years past.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

My guy is OT - Dillon Radunz NORTH DAKOTA STATE BISON preferably in the 2nd round.. Sorry but I am homer for my Home state team.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I started a mock draft that had Mack Jones fall to me at 20 and Radunz was there at 52. I stopped right there. My trade-down plan to get 2 OT's a safety and Mond was all blown up.
Umbali
MVP

So I have mixed feelings on this.

In theory I hate trading away future picks. Like we did with Mack. But then when you look at the years you actually had the pick and you got White or Floyd or some other putz in the 2nd etc..you realized picks are all well and good if you hit on them.

so that being said.
MY dream pick is trading up for Fields. The reasoning for it other than the fact that we always go the opposite route and never have a franchise qb and look where it got us .

but that being said there is a strong part of me that wants to get the Jenkins...build up a nasty O Line...even play it by ear to replace Fuller. Just build around the QB in place with nasty line and maybe a wr or rb...and worry about future QB next year.

so fuckit my pick is Jenkins because its mostly realistically attainable
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:15 pm In the spirit of what the "my guy" thread is supposed to be, I'm going with Robert Rochell CB University of Central Arkansas. I've been able to watch him during his career and think he will be a great addition. He will need a year playing special teams/nickle to get some seasoning to make the jump, but think he should be able to be a starting CB in the NFL.

I thought I posted about him earlier but I don't see my post here.

FWIW - "my guys" were always meant to be later round guys no one knew about to help other board members find hidden gems.

COME ON DPLANK!!!!!! YOU KNOW BETTER!!!!! :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
I'm too dumb to participate in that tho. Once the first 30 or so guys are gone, I have no effing clue who they are. But roughly 48 hours after draft night, I'll have watched their highlight reels and convinced myself each one will be an all pro someday.
Eriebear
Journeyman

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:55 pm Lol. Wasn't it Erie who used to do mock drafts where he would have picked Trevor Lawrence with #20, Sewell in the second...up to Jenkins in the sixth.
Yes ! And Sewell in the 6th. would be a steal ! :D .And don't forget that I would always pick the Boise St. QB as our next starter . Some guys used to think I was for real and flame me , ROTFLMAO . The next thing is , I really miss Martyo and the conversations we had. "Build the Lines !
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Eriebear wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:22 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:55 pm Lol. Wasn't it Erie who used to do mock drafts where he would have picked Trevor Lawrence with #20, Sewell in the second...up to Jenkins in the sixth.
Yes ! And Sewell in the 6th. would be a steal ! :D .And don't forget that I would always pick the Boise St. QB as our next starter . Some guys used to think I was for real and flame me , ROTFLMAO . The next thing is , I really miss Martyo and the conversations we had. "Build the Lines !
This could be the draft they listen to Martyo. I don't think I'd be shocked if they went OL with 2 of the first three picks this year. In fact, I almost think they should, especially if they can do slight trade down to get another pick in rounds 2-4.. If can make that trade and walk away with Jenkins, Radunz, a WR (Dyami Brown, Schwartz, Tylan Wallace, Elijah Moore, Dwayne Eskridge) and a CB (Kelvin Joseph, Eric Stokes, Shaun Wade, Elijah Molden).

The boards are all over the place about where different WR and CB will get drafted so hard to pin point who we can land, but the talent will be there for those spots in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Dropping Randunz and getting a WR or CB in the second and filling the other OL spot with Spencer Brown could work wonders for this team. But it does mean that the "developmental" QB is down to Franks (who I am big on) or maybe Trask (a guy I must just be completely wrong on, I thought he would fight to go at the end of round one) if he continues his free fall.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:05 pm
wulfy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:45 pm My Guy is Simi Fehoko l WR Stanford.

Lots of tackles I like in this draft, including Jenkens, Eichenberg, Raduntz and Hudson.

My Pipedream, like cblaz, is Fields.
I trust a buckeye fan to know: you think he’s gonna be a good pro? Close friend where I am is a huge Buckeye fan and swears he is, was won over by one of his last games where he batted through an injury and still played great
Shades of Byron Leftwich??!?!?

Last tOSU QB in 1st Round final season
70% Completion Percentage
4800+ Yards
50 TD - 8 INT

Doesn't really go to 2nd reads - It was Mariotta-esque where they gave him Cue Cards and if his 1st read wasn't there he just ran - but it's not great

Put me in the Anti-Fields camp (if we get him - I will talk myself into him in about 4 minutes)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

And in the spirit of the thread:

Hamlin - DB Pitt

Elerson Smith - LB? - Northern Iowa

Creed Humphrey - C Oklahoma
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Jenkins is still MY GUY at 20.

But if this guy is there in the 2nd, I'd jump on it.

Jackson Carman - LT Clemson

He watched Lawrence's back. He doesn't project as an NFL level LT, but if he's good enough to protect Lawrence why not put him at RT or LG and pair him with Jenkins on that side?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:22 pm My guy gets a write up on him!!!

https://beargoggleson.com/2021/04/18/ro ... ago-bears/
:welcome:
Haha, I actually had Rochell on my list, but left him to you, for Arkansas reasons. :D
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:55 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:22 pm My guy gets a write up on him!!!

https://beargoggleson.com/2021/04/18/ro ... ago-bears/
:welcome:
Haha, I actually had Rochell on my list, but left him to you, for Arkansas reasons. :D
I talk to his head coach and he can’t say enough good things about him as a player and person. Big plus living in a torn of about 60k people.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 pm My guy: Deon Jackson, Duke.
As is usually the case, I have more than one "my guy", which is counterintuitive, I know, but what the hey. :D

Here's a list of guys that I like who also look like they fit what the Bears look for:
Kylen Granson, te, SMU/Rice
Meet the new Trey Burton. Granson has more than 17% of SMU's total passing yardage over the past two seasons, which is darned impressive for a TE.

Tylan Wallace, wr, Oklahoma St
Built like Robert Woods, albeit a little smaller, Wallace has had three ridiculously productive seasons for Oklahoma State (all three with more than 30% of the team's total passing yards). His right knee needs to be cleared medically.

Jimmy Morrissey, g/c, Pitt
Physically reminiscent of Ali Marpet, Morrissey is a former walk-on who started 47 games and became a two-time team captain at Pitt. (I love stories like that.) Smart, disciplined, and competitive. He'll need to get stronger, as do a lot of guys coming into the NFL. I like his chances, though.

Derrick Barnes, lb, Purdue
Purdue played him all over, rushing the passer (17.0 TFLs over his sophomore/junior years) or play off the ball (13.6% of the team's total solo tackles as a senior). That's likely to mean an adjustment period in the NFL, especially since his time in coverage is limited. He's got the tools and the motor to succeed, however.

Camryn Bynum, cb, Cal
My favorite Day 3 cornerback prospect for the Bears, in part because athletically he's kind of a cross between Deon Bush (except he seems to know what he's doing in coverage) and Jaylon Johnson (though not as fast). Bynum is a four-year starter at CB (two-time team captain) with 6 interceptions and 35 passes defended over his 42 college starts.
KFFL refugee.

cblaz11
MVP

Bump….fun to go back and read
G08
Hall of Famer

Bateman went #27 (win) and Wilson went #2 (win)

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

We got one for this year?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

G08
Hall of Famer

I won't say he's "my guy" at this point in time, but I realllllyyyy like Jalen Pitre as our nickel DB.

3T
WILL
NB

Those are the heavy hitters in Eberflus' defense. I'm of the opinion we have 2/3 currently and Pitre would be a perfect addition. He can cover, he can blitz, he's intelligent and reactive, he's a tough and physical hitter.... he's everything the NB position needs in this defense.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:34 am I won't say he's "my guy" at this point in time, but I realllllyyyy like Jalen Pitre as our nickel DB.

3T
WILL
NB

Those are the heavy hitters in Eberflus' defense. I'm of the opinion we have 2/3 currently and Pitre would be a perfect addition. He can cover, he can blitz, he's intelligent and reactive, he's a tough and physical hitter.... he's everything the NB position needs in this defense.
Man I really think Thomas Graham is tailor made for the nickel in this defense.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:49 am
G08 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:34 am I won't say he's "my guy" at this point in time, but I realllllyyyy like Jalen Pitre as our nickel DB.

3T
WILL
NB

Man I really think Thomas Graham is tailor made for the nickel in this defense.
Hey if he is, more power to him and us. Save that draft pick and get a WR and OL in round 2 :drool:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Wan'Dale Roberson of Kentucky. Calvin Austin of Memphis. Khalil Shakir of Boise State. Supposedly all 3 are deadly with the ball in their hand.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Tyler Vrabel, an offensive tackle from Boston College.

Yes, he's the son of Coach Mike Vrabel.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tyle ... aD8KpZmkPe
UOK
Site Admin

Jalen Pitre out of Baylor is my guy.