CBS's main crumedgeon throws a :frustrated: into the World of Mock:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... o-land-qb/
Pete Prisco wrote:Round 1 - Pick 20

Davis Mills QB
STANFORD • JR • 6'4" / 214 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM: Chicago
PROSPECT RNK: 62nd
POSITION RNK: 6th
Hey, they have to get their long-term guy at some point. Andy Dalton could play this year and then they could go to Mills next season. Nick Foles isn't the answer either. This might seem crazy, but this group traded up to get Mitch Trubisky
I actually like Prisco, half of what he does is to get a rise out of people. When I lived in Jacksonville, FL many moons ago, he was the Jaguars beat writer for the Florida Times-Union.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Perhaps the worst thing we could do.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:06 pm Perhaps the worst thing we could do.
Agree. Unless one of the top group guys falls unexpectedly, at the very least we should trade back or wait until 51 to get a QB. Overdrafting a guy who won't play this year and has a > 50% chance of washing out isn't a recipe for success.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’d want him fired, but then again I wanted him fired in January.
IotaNet
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:06 pm Perhaps the worst thing we could do.
Agree. Unless one of the top group guys falls unexpectedly, at the very least we should trade back or wait until 51 to get a QB. Overdrafting a guy who won't play this year and has a > 50% chance of washing out isn't a recipe for success.
Totally agreed. Mills is a 2nd rounder at best — and maybe not even worth 51.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:03 pm
Mikefive wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 pm Agree. Unless one of the top group guys falls unexpectedly, at the very least we should trade back or wait until 51 to get a QB. Overdrafting a guy who won't play this year and has a > 50% chance of washing out isn't a recipe for success.
Totally agreed. Mills is a 2nd rounder at best — and maybe not even worth 51.
If we get someone like Jenkins in the first and we spend this years second round pick with next year’s second round pick to draft him at 32 I could live with that. Wouldn’t love but if he is “their guy” and they make that move I won’t go crazy.
Last edited by Arkansasbear on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

It wouldn't shock me. Like I said, I think that Mills is a better prospect than Lance. If you're willing to spend #20 on Lance, why wouldn't you on Mills? Mills' biggest criticism is his lack of experience. Well, he certainly has more experience than Lance does in at least throwing the ball. And he has it against much better competition.
IE
Hall of Famer

But nobody else is going to take him in the first... so it makes no sense, unless what he REALLY means is they USE the 20th to trade down to get more picks AND Mills with one of two 2nd rounders.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

To be fair, no one knows where any team has a player rated.

I concur that I don't see Mills (or Mond) as a first-round talent, but I'm not working for an NFL team so I don't have access to all the resources they have; and I'm not privy to all the info they have.

Moreover, this is a weird draft year, and I firmly believe you're going to see bigger disparities than usual with tram draft boards. Uncertainty abounds. I expect more.than a few teams are going to go the Rams'/Seahawks' way of thinking and get just a few guys they think they can count on this year, and forgo a lot of perceived risk after that.

Mills is almost certainly QB6 on a lot of boards. No, that doesn't mean I think he's worth 20th overall, but then I also don't feel any but maybe fifteen guys are worth a first-rounder this year anyway. And more than that are going to be drafted there, because math.

If the Bears can't Teddy Bridgewater/Lamar Jackson him at the end of the 1st and you want the option year a Day 1 pick brings, it's not out of line to make that move. I'd move down if I could to do it, but you do risk losing him to teams like the Saints, Steelers, or another team moving up from Round 2 if you do.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:33 pm It wouldn't shock me. Like I said, I think that Mills is a better prospect than Lance. If you're willing to spend #20 on Lance, why wouldn't you on Mills? Mills' biggest criticism is his lack of experience. Well, he certainly has more experience than Lance does in at least throwing the ball. And he has it against much better competition.
All I've read about the guy seems to question his ability to process information / read defenses / etc. This sounds too Trubiskian for me and is completely counter to what a "Nagy system QB" needs to be able to thrive. And the whole "he's from Stanford so he must be smart" excuse doesn't hold water - classroom intelligence and football live action intelligence are two dramatically different things. Pretty sure Brett Favre and Dan Marino would have flunked out of Stanford - good QB's tho
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:10 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:33 pm It wouldn't shock me. Like I said, I think that Mills is a better prospect than Lance. If you're willing to spend #20 on Lance, why wouldn't you on Mills? Mills' biggest criticism is his lack of experience. Well, he certainly has more experience than Lance does in at least throwing the ball. And he has it against much better competition.
All I've read about the guy seems to question his ability to process information / read defenses / etc. This sounds too Trubiskian for me and is completely counter to what a "Nagy system QB" needs to be able to thrive. And the whole "he's from Stanford so he must be smart" excuse doesn't hold water - classroom intelligence and football live action intelligence are two dramatically different things. Pretty sure Brett Favre and Dan Marino would have flunked out of Stanford - good QB's tho
What I've seen on the guy is just the opposite. At Stanford he was required to make lots of presnap reads and is use to doing that. In an interview he said he wanted to go to a team that demanded that of the QB. He still makes boneheaded throws from time to time but you'll get that guys that haven't started much.

His lack of tape and injuries are bigger red flags to me.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Disagree. We could trade up to take him.
Sorry, but you really have to be a lot dumber to guess what Pace might do.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Hero
Player of the Month

So the Bears will do it then.
EricTighe
MVP

I like Mills but not that high.

But you have to kick the tires when the most important position in football is your biggest need.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I saw Prisco in an interview say Mills absolutely will not be there at pick 52. Too much interest from front offices he's spoken to.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

He talks about Mills at the 7:30 mark.
wulfy
MVP

"They ain't takin' no Davis Mills at 20!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
wab
Mod

I wonder if Fields will drop now that it's out there that he has epilepsy...

It's manageable, so if he falls to 12 or so, I'd be happy if they moved up for him.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:55 pm I wonder if Fields will drop now that it's out there that he has epilepsy...

It's manageable, so if he falls to 12 or so, I'd be happy if they moved up for him.
Agreed on the sentiment but would not look forward to the theorists like with Jay's diabetes.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 pm
wab wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:55 pm I wonder if Fields will drop now that it's out there that he has epilepsy...

Agreed on the sentiment but would not look forward to the theorists like with Jay's diabetes.
?

Are you saying Jay was supposed to fall, but didn't?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 pm
IE wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 pm

?

Cutler's diabetes went undiagnosed until his 2nd year in the league.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:58 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 pm

?

Cutler's diabetes went undiagnosed until his 2nd year in the league.
No I'm not referring to the draft with Jay. I'm referring to people speculating about his diabetes impacting his performance at times. You guys don't remember the constant nonsense about that? Maybe I listen to more talk radio than some.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Mills should be a 3rd (if one is generous), more realistically a 4th or 5th round type of QB. No one would draft a QB in the 1st with so little experience (okay, that was a bit of snark).
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:39 pm Mills should be a 3rd (if one is generous), more realistically a 4th or 5th round type of QB. No one would draft a QB in the 1st with so little experience (okay, that was a bit of snark).
Really? Lance has 318 passing attempts to Mills' 438, and he's generally considered a Top 15 if not Top 10 picks. That's with a third less passing attempts than Mills, and pretty much an unanimous consensus from everybody.

And that's not even factoring in the Trubisky "snark." lol
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:39 pm Mills should be a 3rd (if one is generous), more realistically a 4th or 5th round type of QB. No one would draft a QB in the 1st with so little experience (okay, that was a bit of snark).
Really? Lance has 318 passing attempts to Mills' 438, and he's generally considered a Top 15 if not Top 10 picks. That's with a third less passing attempts than Mills, and pretty much an unanimous consensus from everybody.

And that's not even factoring in the Trubisky "snark." lol
For NFL guys who didn't play at big time programs, we have Big Ben but he played for a Division I MAC team. There's Carson Wentz, who also played at NDSU and enjoyed good success until he went through several consecutive years of significant injuries. Lots of prognosticators saying Lance would go very high; we'll see which GM drafts him based on potential and not a lot else.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
IE
Hall of Famer

SportsMock article makes the idea of drafting Mills look pretty sketch. I'm not a fan of drafting injury-prone players. Especially immobile QBs who have a history of knee issues. Just no thanks. Maybe he'll be good. I don't like the risk.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... ills-hype/
wulfy
MVP

IE wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:33 am SportsMock article makes the idea of drafting Mills look pretty sketch. I'm not a fan of drafting injury-prone players. Especially immobile QBs who have a history of knee issues. Just no thanks. Maybe he'll be good. I don't like the risk.

I'm warming up on Kellen Mond in Round 2.

Mond or Mills, I'm good with either.

No Trask - watched his pro day yesterday on Path to the Draft - yuck.
wab
Mod

I like Mond the most out of the tier 2 guys. Jamie Newman is a dude that is being forgotten a little.

Still, give me Fields pls.
IE
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:58 am
IE wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:33 am SportsMock article makes the idea of drafting Mills look pretty sketch. I'm not a fan of drafting injury-prone players. Especially immobile QBs who have a history of knee issues. Just no thanks. Maybe he'll be good. I don't like the risk.

I'm warming up on Kellen Mond in Round 2.

Mond or Mills, I'm good with either.

No Trask - watched his pro day yesterday on Path to the Draft - yuck.
I hadn't seen much of Mond, really, until the last couple of weeks.

What do we think of JT O'Sullivan? Does he know his shit? If so, he was big on Mond and had him at QB4 including above Fields. I'd be upset at any one of these guys in the first. But in the second I'm good with Mond.

Lesser so with Trask and now not at all with Mills because I just decided the red flags are too many regardless of what I think I saw on his pro day or how his "final few games" have been spun. Talented, smart but dinged up ... it gives me a Sam Bradford vibe.