Mongo diagnosed with ALS

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Sucks for Mongo. Probably the 2nd worst disease you could have. Being trapped in yourself is my worst fear.

@Otis Day sorry for your loss. Does he have kids? I'll donate money.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

His kids are grown. His youngest is about 23. She just got married in the fall. They wheeled him into the church in his hospital bed so he could see his "baby" get married. His son, the middle child, is 28 and a Navy vet. His oldest is probably 30. She is developementally delayed. Not sure what is going on as far as services yet. Thanks for the thought.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well just let us know. Not that ip addresses mean much but I'm sure some of us fucks could do something.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Great The Athletic article by Dan Pompei on Mongo's continuing ALS journey:

https://theathletic.com/3174997/2022/03 ... -his-life/

He really should be in the HOF. Among all DTs in the past 60 years, only 7 had more sacks and 5 of them are in the Hall. Even in the 2 years after Danimal retired, he recorded 19-1/2 sacks. Buck Buchanan, Curly Culp, Joe Greene, Cortez Kennedy and Merlin Olsen, who are in the Hall, have fewer sacks. From 1982 through 1991, his time with the team, the Bears allowed the fewest points of any team in the NFL. They also were first in fewest yards allowed, rushing yards allowed and sacks. McMichael never missed a game because of injury, playing in 207 straight non-strike games in 13 seasons with the Bears and one with the Packers — 221 straight, including the postseason. He was rated in highest category of player in 8 seasons by a highly respected company which scouts players for teams.

The ALS is tough, of course, but Steve, his wife, and daughter are all handling it as best they can. Their goal is for him to be attending his daughter's high school graduation in 2027.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:53 am Great The Athletic article by Dan Pompei on Mongo's continuing ALS journey:

https://theathletic.com/3174997/2022/03 ... -his-life/

He really should be in the HOF. Among all DTs in the past 60 years, only 7 had more sacks and 5 of them are in the Hall. Even in the 2 years after Danimal retired, he recorded 19-1/2 sacks. Buck Buchanan, Curly Culp, Joe Greene, Cortez Kennedy and Merlin Olsen, who are in the Hall, have fewer sacks. From 1982 through 1991, his time with the team, the Bears allowed the fewest points of any team in the NFL. They also were first in fewest yards allowed, rushing yards allowed and sacks. McMichael never missed a game because of injury, playing in 207 straight non-strike games in 13 seasons with the Bears and one with the Packers — 221 straight, including the postseason. He was rated in highest category of player in 8 seasons by a highly respected company which scouts players for teams.

The ALS is tough, of course, but Steve, his wife, and daughter are all handling it as best they can. Their goal is for him to be attending his daughter's high school graduation in 2027.
Such a rough read, but Mongo seems like such a warrior.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

An update on McMichael from Rick Telander....

This had to be an emotionally devastating piece of writing to put together, but Telander did a nice job.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... etary-long

"He can’t swallow food. He can’t move an arm, a leg, a finger. There are tubes in his throat, a fentanyl patch on his neck, a rosary on a cross above his head. His eyes are sunken. The tattoo of a rattlesnake on his left calf has dwindled to earthworm size.

This is what amyotrophic lateral sclerosis — ALS — can do to a man. It’s what it can do even to a warrior who played through all injuries, plugging the middle of the football mayhem pit like a Viking in an axe battle.

And, still, Mongo warriors on."
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

This is the Mongo spirit I've always admired.

Fight on, man, fight on.

Prayers are with you.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:05 am This is the Mongo spirit I've always admired.

Fight on, man, fight on.

Prayers are with you.
He's showing us how it's done.

I didn't detect one ounce of him feeling sorry for himself. Not one. And he has every right to be like that if he wanted to.

In addition to the NFL electing him to the HOF immediately, Webster's Dictionary should put Mongo's face next to the definition of the term Brass Balls.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

No one deserves that end to life, but I'm glad it sounds as he has peace with his life.

Sadly, it may well be it was the very thing (football) that brought great joy to his life and made him a fighter is also a major contributing cause to this disease.

Power on Mongo.
Last edited by The Cooler King on Wed May 04, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:22 pm No one deserves that end to life, but I'm glad it sounds as he has peace with his life.

Sadly, it may week be it was the very thing (football) that brought great joy to his life and made him a fighter is also a major contributing cause to this disease.

Power on Mongo.
A lot of research focussing on intense exercise and training as a precipitating factor.
Soccer players, Rugby Union and League players.
Possibly happens more frequently in sports
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

That's a lousy way to go.

There's something to be said for knowing the end is coming with time to settle your affairs and say your goodbyes.
But that long and severe a wasting away...
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Horrifying. :sad:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It's not likely to be of help to McMichael, but it's at least breakthroughs like this offer hope for the future:
'Truly remarkable' drug helps motor neurone disease

Scientists say they have slowed and even reversed some of the devastating and relentless decline caused by motor-neurone disease (MND).

The treatment works in only 2% of patients but has been described as "truly remarkable" and a "real moment of hope" for the whole disease.

One leading expert said it was the first time she had seen patients improve - but this is not a cure.

The MND Association said there was "mounting confidence" in the therapy.

MND, also known as amyotrophic-lateral sclerosis (ALS), is caused by the death of the nerves that carry messages from the brain to people's muscles. It affects their ability to move, talk and even breathe.

The disease dramatically shortens people's lives and most die within two years of being diagnosed.

Full article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62851186
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:07 pm It's not likely to be of help to McMichael, but it's at least breakthroughs like this offer hope for the future:
'Truly remarkable' drug helps motor neurone disease

Scientists say they have slowed and even reversed some of the devastating and relentless decline caused by motor-neurone disease (MND).

The treatment works in only 2% of patients but has been described as "truly remarkable" and a "real moment of hope" for the whole disease.

One leading expert said it was the first time she had seen patients improve - but this is not a cure.

The MND Association said there was "mounting confidence" in the therapy.

MND, also known as amyotrophic-lateral sclerosis (ALS), is caused by the death of the nerves that carry messages from the brain to people's muscles. It affects their ability to move, talk and even breathe.

The disease dramatically shortens people's lives and most die within two years of being diagnosed.

Full article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62851186
Thanks for this info, HRS. I wonder how effective it is at different stages of the disease.

In other news, Mongo was recently visited by numerous former defensive team mates, Mad Mac, and Ric Flair. Good to see the support.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/super ... -mcmichael

Two fundraisers benefitting ailing former Bears defensive tackle Steve McMichael will be held simultaneously on Super Bowl Sunday.

The two "Mongo Bowls" will be hosted by the Arcada Theatre (105 East Main Street) in St. Charles and the Des Plaines Theatre (1476 Miner Street) in Des Plaines. All proceeds will benefit McMichael, who was diagnosed with ALS in 2021 and requires 24-hour care.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka