The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Superbowl Menu:
2 loaves of homemade Pepperoni Bread
~8 lbs baked chicken wings tossed in various sauces depending on preference. (I'm doing hot Buffalo, Wife is doing sweet n sour, guests can do what they want)
1 tray of shrimp cocktail
Got some fancy toasted crackers and a couple different pub cheeses
2 bags of Tostitos, 2 jars of salsa, 1 jar of queso
and to top it off, home made brownies with vanilla ice cream and various toppings.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

We didn't host a party for the first time in like 8 years. I still made an incredible spread...and was way too much for just the fam.

3 racks of ribs
2lbs of smoked sausage
Smoked baked beans
Buffalo chicken mac and cheese

Various cheeses and crackers, olives, chips and dips...

Was a real banger, but we have SO MANY leftovers
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Dang sounds good WAB.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I got bored one day, threw some things in the crock pot, and it worked. This was really good.

Stew Meat: 2 pounds raw

Large Baking Potato: 1. Cut up small

Cream of Mushroom Soup with Garlic: 1 can

Cream of Potato Soup: 1 can

Butter: IDK how much. A couple tablespoons for sure.

Then some chives and bacon bits. I wish I had sour cream when I did this, but I didn't have any on hand.

Low for 6 hours or so until the beef broke apart.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:51 am We didn't host a party for the first time in like 8 years. I still made an incredible spread...and was way too much for just the fam.

3 racks of ribs
2lbs of smoked sausage
Smoked baked beans

Do you have a dedicated smoker? If so, gas, wood, or electric?
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 pm
wab wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:51 am We didn't host a party for the first time in like 8 years. I still made an incredible spread...and was way too much for just the fam.

3 racks of ribs
2lbs of smoked sausage
Smoked baked beans

Do you have a dedicated smoker? If so, gas, wood, or electric?
I do, it's a Masterbuilt 1080. It's a gravity fed charcoal smoker. You can use it to grill too...but it's a but of a pain in the ass, so I'll still use my gas grill for general grilling....burgers, chicken, hot dogs...stuff like that.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Had my oldest out for Easter supper with her husband, along with the two still at home.

Smoked Prime - kosher salt, rosemary, garlic powder, olive oil, fresh ground cracked pepper rub. Smoked to 115 degrees then a sear on all sides at 650f. Let rest 30 minutes to 125 internal. Used hickory and cherry mix.

Fresh mashed potatoes with skins

Fresh grilled asparagus

Homemade garlic bread.

I even remembered to take one picture of the prime and washed it down with a Pendleton sour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Crab cake recipe 🤣

Heinz D.
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:33 pm Had my oldest out for Easter supper with her husband, along with the two still at home.

Smoked Prime - kosher salt, rosemary, garlic powder, olive oil, fresh ground cracked pepper rub. Smoked to 115 degrees then a sear on all sides at 650f. Let rest 30 minutes to 125 internal. Used hickory and cherry mix.

Fresh mashed potatoes with skins

Fresh grilled asparagus

Homemade garlic bread.

I even remembered to take one picture of the prime and washed it down with a Pendleton sour.
Will you adopt me?
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I had some company show up for the eclipse last minute and had to feed them, so I threw a couple racks of spare ribs on the smoker at 300 for 1.5 hours before turning it down to 190 for 25-30 minutes to try and get some more smoke on them. Internal temp was ~172 when I pulled them off and because they weren't baby backs I wasn't expecting anything. Wrapped them in foil for 25 minutes before everyone wanted to eat and they turned out pretty good. Quick rub of granulated garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper, and only had the generic smoke pellets instead of the peach, or cherry that I normally like to do ribs with.

I got the idea to do them quick and dirty from reading a smoking article about doing brisket at a higher temp. So looking up rib recipes, I went for it. Figured the worst thing is I'm out $28 for the ribs and would have to resort to home made subs.

Anyone else throw out conventional time and temps on other smokes and have success?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:09 am I had some company show up for the eclipse last minute and had to feed them, so I threw a couple racks of spare ribs on the smoker at 300 for 1.5 hours before turning it down to 190 for 25-30 minutes to try and get some more smoke on them. Internal temp was ~172 when I pulled them off and because they weren't baby backs I wasn't expecting anything. Wrapped them in foil for 25 minutes before everyone wanted to eat and they turned out pretty good. Quick rub of granulated garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper, and only had the generic smoke pellets instead of the peach, or cherry that I normally like to do ribs with.

I got the idea to do them quick and dirty from reading a smoking article about doing brisket at a higher temp. So looking up rib recipes, I went for it. Figured the worst thing is I'm out $28 for the ribs and would have to resort to home made subs.

Anyone else throw out conventional time and temps on other smokes and have success?
For some reason when I read your post this sprang to mind:

dplank
Hall of Famer

I made Salmon Piccata with mashed potatoes last night and it was spectacular.