The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 am
UOK wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:19 am God, I can't wait to get into the smoking life. There is nothing that comes out of a smoker that looks or tastes bad, in my experience. I'm excited to be That Guy whose neighbors find odd because he's up obnoxiously early/late to tend to his delicious bounty.
It's so nice. It's a really peaceful hobby if you let it be.
Many of these pellet smokers are brainless. My cheaper one cooks a little faster on one side than the other. I just put bigger cuts on the "hotter" side. For my regular split-chicken breast smoke, there's about a half hour difference in cooking.

I think I could cook a whole Brisket perfectly because over 12 hours the hotter side would account for the size difference. My deer leg last fall did come out just about perfect.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Stormtrooper
Practice Squad

Just to bump this thread a bit.

I had some amazing chopped BBQ burrito's last night from a local food truck. Yes I said burritos lol. I will remember to take a pic next time lol.
If my cat pisses on me one more damn time...
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:19 am
wab wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 am
It's so nice. It's a really peaceful hobby if you let it be.
Many of these pellet smokers are brainless. My cheaper one cooks a little faster on one side than the other. I just put bigger cuts on the "hotter" side. For my regular split-chicken breast smoke, there's about a half hour difference in cooking.

I think I could cook a whole Brisket perfectly because over 12 hours the hotter side would account for the size difference. My deer leg last fall did come out just about perfect.
My buddy has a pellet smoker with computerized temp control. He loves it, has done everything from salmon to briskets to birds.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Made some amazing grilled blackened Mahi tonight. Big local fish here in FL. Side of tomato/basil/cucumber/feta salad and grilled corn on the cob.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Been a long time electric smoker guy, but just got into the kamado game. Been having some fun with it. Chicken last night, venison backstrap this evening.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Having owned electric, propane, charcoal and now a pellet grill/smoker I have to say I love my pellet grill/smoker, but more so as a grill and not as a smoker.

I have found I get a better smoke off my dedicated digital electric smoker than the pellet grill. Anyone else have a similar experience?
IE
Hall of Famer

So I've been a grill guy forever - like 40 years. Used to be religiously charcoal then was grilling so much switched to gas as a time-saver. With my Weber Genesis being about 7 years old and pretty worn from being used 3-4 nights a week, I aas thinking about getting a big green egg or new high tech pellet burner to try that out for a while. But then wab convinced me that sous vide is the way to go, and I decided to try it. Coincidentally, my kids got me a wand for Christmas without me even saying anything. My daughter is a foodie and she and her BF have been using it for a while & thought I'd like to try.

It is game-changing. If you're not using sous vide on most meats prior to finishing off with a quick sear, you're missing out seriously. I started out finishing/browning/searing on my grill for a few minutes after the sous vide bath... but then for my birthday I got a torch as a gift. My grill is starting to miss me at times, as I've learned that I can sous vide a good steak, pork loin or chicken and use the torch to sear it without going near my grill. And when I DO grill I still use the torch to get the right "grilling effect" without overcooking (e.g. with salmon or skewered shrimp). I have a small butane torch too but it isn't nearly as effective and takes forever. The propane one can hook directly to a large tank, or you can use the small refillable ones (there is an adaptor to refill) for more portability. The thing is like a serious flame-thrower, so it is best to use it outside. But it can sear very well and super-fast (e.g. like a minute) and doesn't over-cook like can happen if you pan-sear or grill to finish it off.

Consider trying this, if you haven't.
61nXKws9nTL._AC_SL1498_-300x270.jpg
20220522_210300.jpg
20220618_201958.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

It really is a game changer, especially beef.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Looks like it would double as a very good waterfowl singe device.
jacob87
Rookie

wab wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:00 pm
Otis Day wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:31 pm Will be doing a pork butt on Friday. I will probably soak it in Coke for a day or two then season it the night before. Will smoke it.

Anyone have anything different, but simple, that they do with a pork butt?
- Inject with that creole butter stuff a few hours before
- Slather outside with mustard and apply liberal amount of rub of choice about 30 minutes prior to putting on the smoker
- Put on the smoker at 225
- Wrap in foil at 170
- Pull from smoker at 205 (or when probe tender)
- Rest wrapped in cooler for at least an hour, preferably 2-3
- Enjoy

I cook a lot. One of the really relaxing things that I enjoy. With my birthday coming up Feb 12 I thought it would be the perfect gift.
Now I am clueless when it comes to smokers/charcoal lol3.gif
do I jump right in and buy the best there is?
What is the best there is?
Should I go to a good quality mid level?
What would they be?
Steaks, roasts, ribs, pinchos will be what it is used for.
Whatever guidance you can give would be most appreciated
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@wab or whomever else is a stud at making steaks.

Need some advice. I’m making surf and turf for the household family on Christmas. Lobster tails and then we pick our own steaks.

The lobster tails can be frozen. Done that a lot and they still taste great.

The problem.

Can I buy the steaks this weekend, freeze them, thaw them, on like Friday or whatever and make them on Christmas? Will they taste any good? I’ve never frozen steaks before. Most likely ribeyes if that matters.

If I need to go to the store on the 23rd I’d much rather do that.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have frozen steaks before, not for a long period of time, about the same time frame as you, and they did not taste any different. It is not a practice I do regularly. Got a deal and was not going to be able to eat them for a few days. I froze NY Strips.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:41 pm @wab or whomever else is a stud at making steaks.

Need some advice. I’m making surf and turf for the household family on Christmas. Lobster tails and then we pick our own steaks.

The lobster tails can be frozen. Done that a lot and they still taste great.

The problem.

Can I buy the steaks this weekend, freeze them, thaw them, on like Friday or whatever and make them on Christmas? Will they taste any good? I’ve never frozen steaks before. Most likely ribeyes if that matters.

If I need to go to the store on the 23rd I’d much rather do that.
I think you should be ok freezing them for a short period. Especially if vacuum sealing.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well the wife bought me a new digital electric smoker for Christmas (she is terrible at hiding gifts). My old masterbuilt went to the smoke house in the sky this past year so I have been doing most of my smoking on the pellet grill.

A pork loin and 3 prime ribs over the holidays should have her broke in and seasoned well. Smoked prime is one of my favorites and very easy to do. I keep it simple and do a dry brine overnight, smoking only takes a couple hours to get to that medium rare/medium state with a 5-7 lb prime.

I do a 10-12 lb pork loin for my office, those are super easy to smoke the night prior, wrap, then warm up and slice the next day.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wife also got me a temp spike (Bluetooth wireless thermometer). Gotta say I am digging this thing, even estimates when it will hit desired temp after cooking a while.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well the new digital masterbuilt electric smoker works well. The two primes I smoked last night turned out great. One I used a kosher salt, pepper and rosemary rub with a little olive oil, the other I used a store bought rub. Smoked at 225 until temps hit 120, then a reverse sear at 450 on the pellet grill for 10 minutes. Ending temp was 135.

I have to learn to take some pictures because those prime's looked "sexy" when done.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab sold me on trying out sous vide and I'm just totally into it now. I even sous vide chicken and pork loin for our dogs (on sale at costco it is cheaper than canned dog food).

I bought three 5-6 lb prime ribs on sale after Thanksgiving and froze them for a few weeks. Took them out on the 22nd to thaw slowly in the fridge, and they were "good as fresh" for sure.

On Christmas Eve, they spent 8 hours in a 132 degree water bath. Then a good blast sear with my sous vide gun out on the grill. Perfect. Holy crap was it good. Had 9 people over (all kids and their SOs) and they were all raving. Even the light eaters went back for seconds, and we blew through all 3 roasts with only a few sandwiches worth of leftovers.

Also key: "expandable" food saver bags for vac seal.
319554513_682235173439580_971113777830196744_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Nice!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Since brats and dogs got brought up in a thread in Halas Hall, I figured I would discuss here. I usually boil my brats in beer and then scorch them on a very hot grill. They have never dried out. I have also tried boiling them in Sprite, onions and bell peppers. Once done, they hit the grill for the char and then back in the boil to keep them warm. Pretty tasty. They get a sweet taste to them.

Dogs - there has been a hot dog place in town forever. The coney sauce is good. In addition to that I have them put some cheese and some sweet onions on it. If I don't have a Zantac, I will be in pain the rest of the day, but it is worth it. On a nice spring day, If my work window is open I can smell the onions. The place is about a block away. Been going to this place for about 50 yrs.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:43 am Since brats and dogs got brought up in a thread in Halas Hall, I figured I would discuss here. I usually boil my brats in beer and then scorch them on a very hot grill. They have never dried out. I have also tried boiling them in Sprite, onions and bell peppers. Once done, they hit the grill for the char and then back in the boil to keep them warm. Pretty tasty. They get a sweet taste to them.

Dogs - there has been a hot dog place in town forever. The coney sauce is good. In addition to that I have them put some cheese and some sweet onions on it. If I don't have a Zantac, I will be in pain the rest of the day, but it is worth it. On a nice spring day, If my work window is open I can smell the onions. The place is about a block away. Been going to this place for about 50 yrs.
With 40-odd years of eating hot dogs and brats, the best thing I've ever had was sadly a CostCo hot dog, lol.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:48 am
Otis Day wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:43 am Since brats and dogs got brought up in a thread in Halas Hall, I figured I would discuss here. I usually boil my brats in beer and then scorch them on a very hot grill. They have never dried out. I have also tried boiling them in Sprite, onions and bell peppers. Once done, they hit the grill for the char and then back in the boil to keep them warm. Pretty tasty. They get a sweet taste to them.

With 40-odd years of eating hot dogs and brats, the best thing I've ever had was sadly a CostCo hot dog, lol.
Thos 1/4lb costco hotdogs are delicious.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I buy Hebrew Nationals when on sale. I like a good beef dog. the Oscar Mayer Black Angus dogs are pretty yummy. My new way is throwing them in the air fryer.
LacertineForest
MVP

wab wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:55 am
UOK wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:48 am

I think those are Nathan's, right? Or is that Sam's Club? I can't remember now, but they are awesome.
wab
Mod

LacertineForest wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:44 am
wab wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:55 am

I think those are Nathan's, right? Or is that Sam's Club? I can't remember now, but they are awesome.
They are just the Kirkland's brand.
LacertineForest
MVP

wab wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:38 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:44 am

They are just the Kirkland's brand.
I just read they used to use Hebrew National until 2008 and then they made the switch to their private brand - maybe that's what I was thinking of.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The coolest thing happened today.

I'm going through the fridge and in the drawer where we keep the deli meat and cheese I found a 24 oz. package of bacon that I didn't know I had.

I pickup the package of bacon and my adopted rescue dog sees me take it out of the fridge.

Raw bacon is his favorite and he knows the packaging and the routine.

He sits down in his spot right by the stove and looks at me.

I had no intention of cooking it at that time. (OK, that's a half lie. Who wouldn't immediately eat bonus bacon they didn't know they had?)

But he's so gosh darn cute and because he's a rescue dog (my other two are puppies from a breeder) he gets spoiled.

I had to cook it and then feed him strips of raw bacon at the same time. Awesome stuff.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Just finished smoking 220lbs of pork butts for my daughters wedding reception. 3 smokers and a pellet grill going for 3 days in a row.

Dedicated smokers definitely get a better smoke than the pellet grill, but I added a smoke tube and filled it with pellets under the grate, lit the end and let it smolder through. That improved the smoke on the pellet grill.

The whole operation was this.

40” masterbuilt digital electric
30” masterbuilt digital electric
30” charbroil digital electric
Oklahoma Joes Rider DLX pellet grill.

Hickory chips and traeger completion blend pellets for the smoke. Special rib rub.

Smoke at 225 until internal hits 165, then spritz, wrap, up temp to 275 until internal is 205. Let rest 90 minutes then pull.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:52 am Just finished smoking 220lbs of pork butts for my daughters wedding reception. 3 smokers and a pellet grill going for 3 days in a row.

Dedicated smokers definitely get a better smoke than the pellet grill, but I added a smoke tube and filled it with pellets under the grate, lit the end and let it smolder through. That improved the smoke on the pellet grill.

The whole operation was this.

40” masterbuilt digital electric
30” masterbuilt digital electric
30” charbroil digital electric
Oklahoma Joes Rider DLX pellet grill.

Hickory chips and traeger completion blend pellets for the smoke. Special rib rub.

Smoke at 225 until internal hits 165, then spritz, wrap, up temp to 275 until internal is 205. Let rest 90 minutes then pull.
That might be the best wedding food I've heard of.

Congrats on your daughter's wedding.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:58 pm Been a long time electric smoker guy, but just got into the kamado game. Been having some fun with it. Chicken last night, venison backstrap this evening.

Do a pizza like they say you can and let us know.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

In central IL, smoked pulled pork , smoked brisket, smoked chicken are the norm at receptions now. I have not been to a reception in the past 2 yrs that didn't have that type of food.

I have been doing pizzas on my grill all spring and summer. The grill, smoke gives them a really nice taste.