First Concert in over a year

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Road tripped to St Louis last week with a buddy so see a concert outdoors. The venue, Chesterfield Amphitheater was a really nice place. I bet it is not over 5 yrs old. the night was perfect, about 70 degrees and a steady breeze blowing across the venue.

We met up with our friend who lives in the area. We saw Samantha Fish. If you like guitar playing/jamming she is the real deal. She has came up thru the Blues circuit and has been known for playing blues. she has branched off into rock and has actually recorded some music that may be considered country. She puts on a helluva show and is not bad to look at.

Man it was great to see live music again.

This is an oldie but a goodie. I was at this show 4 1/2 yrs ago. She used to close out her shows with Sabbath's War Pigs. She does a decent job here.

[video][/video]
Xee
Site Admin

Very cool, never heard of her but will check her stuff out.

I've never been much of a concert-goer just because I never seemed to find the time for it but this pandemic has shown me not take concerts for granted so I'm going to try to go to at least one a year going forward. First on my list will probably be a Derek Trucks concert; more than technical ability, I really dig guitarists who have their own sound and imo he is definitely one of the few who does.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am a big Trucks fan. Saw Tedeschi Trucks Band about 3 yrs ago. They are a must see. Very takented band. He is a master on the slide.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Glad you had a great time. I miss concerts. Haven't been to one in two years when KISS was at the UC.

My wife and I were supposed to see a Led Zeppelin cover band last year but obviously that got rescheduled. I believe that's going to happen this summer.

I'm hoping the KISS show in September I have tickets for holds up.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This video is 7 yrs old. She always plays a few tunes on the cigar box. She has started her own Cigar Box Guitar Festival in New Orleans.

[video][/video]
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hitting up a show at a small venue in town. Albert Castiligia. Damn good guitar player. He is a blues, blues rock type of guy. I have seen him before. Puts on a good show and mingles with the crowd on breaks. The place that is having the show also does some mean smoked meats.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Attendance was poor, but Albert kicked some ass. Genuinely good dude. Made a point to talk with anyone willing to talk to him on break and after the show. After the show he stood by the door and thanked everyone for coming. Disappointing that people in my 'burg don't know good music/entertainers. People are not willing to take a chance I guess.

Old video:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Traveled south down to Springfield, IL. for the Old Capital Blues and BBQ Fest. Ate some good food and enjoyed some good music. Headliner was Big Head Todd and The Monsters. They did not disappoint. Guys have been playing together for 30 yrs, same 4 guys. Prior to them it was Wayne Baker Brooks who put on a helluva show himself. Got lucky, street was shaded and there was a good southerly breeze. Helps that the beer was ice cold as well.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Heading down to St Louis area for a couple of blues shows next weekend. First up will be Christone "Kingfish" Ingram. Young kid who is the "next" big thing in the blues.

[video][/video]

Then the following night going to see the Blood Brothers, Mike Zito and Albert Castigilia. They will each do a set and then so a set together to end the night. Should be a rocking weekend.

[video][/video]
Xee
Site Admin

Thanks for the links, hadn't heard of either of them. Ingram is definitely a good guitarist but I don't think his playing would stand out to me if I heard it on the radio.

Mike Zito's band looks like they would be a ton of fun to watch in person. I love guitarists who don't covet the spotlight; Hendrix was notorious for bringing random musicians he would meet at clubs into the studio to record jams with him. I'm definitely going to check out more of their music.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Wife and I saw Santana and band a few months back. The man still brings it at 74. His band is so tight. One of my favorite concerts ever.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Just got back from North Alabama. Saw Drive-by Truckers, Brittany Howard, Jason Isbell and a few more. Great weekend of music.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Saw Jesse Dayton and the Supersuckers at a local bar a few weeks back, first show since Willie Nelson which was like a week before the country shut down from initial Covid stuff.

Jesse Dayton was great and the Supersuckers always bring it.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Love me some music. Saw Vanessa Collier (blues, funk, R&B, gospel) back in May. It was my second time seeing her. She plays a mean sax and writes some really good lyrics. Last night went out of my comfort zone and saw Haley Reinhart. She was a 3rd place finisher on American Idol in 2011. She re-did "I Can't Help Falling In Love", old Elvis song. I guess it was used for an Extra Gum commercial and kind of kick started her career. That song is also in the new Elvis movie that is on HBO Max (what I was told). She is kind of jazzy, pop sounding. Helluva voice, lots of range. Kind of interesting that she did 2 Jimi Hendrix tunes, Foxy Lady (her vocals killed that song in a good way) and The Wind Cries Mary.

This Saturday I have the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest to attend. Saturday's lineup is kickass - Altered Five Blues Band, Rick Estrin and the Nightcats, Vanessa Collier and Bernard Allison closing the night out.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

Marcus King Band coming up later this month in the St. Louis area. This dude plays it all - blues, rock, country, country rock, soul, funk. Looking forward to this. He has sat in with numerous other peeps as well.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Collateral with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx is one of my favorite movies. For a lot of reasons.

This is a song that plays during a scene when Jamie Foxx is driving his cab. I always thought the beat was cool, but I never got around to finding the song.

Well today I found it. I really like this one. Smooth. Easy to listen to. Great voice.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I like it. Nice easy groove to it. I will have to check out more of their stuff.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

For some mythical reason this showed up in my YouTube feed. The music I listen to via YouTube is a broad mix of things so I suppose anything could show up. Maybe because of The Eagles?

I do remember this song from the radio stations my mother listened to. While it's not "my thing" I do readily admit it's a fantastic song that's very well written.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nice easy going song, remember it well. Henley had success on his own, more than any other Eagle by far ( I exclude Joe Walsh, he was solo prior to joining). Henley is somewhat a prick, but a guy that knows how to keep releavant. Didn't like the idea of the Eagles touring without Frey. Glad got to see them prior to Frey dying. When I saw them Bernie Leadon sat in on some of the early stuff. Great show.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:10 am Nice easy going song, remember it well. Henley had success on his own, more than any other Eagle by far ( I exclude Joe Walsh, he was solo prior to joining). Henley is somewhat a prick, but a guy that knows how to keep releavant. Didn't like the idea of the Eagles touring without Frey. Glad got to see them prior to Frey dying. When I saw them Bernie Leadon sat in on some of the early stuff. Great show.
I'd seen Henley and Walsh solo, but that tour (History of the Eagles?) was my first time seeing them together. Too bad Felder was ousted by then. Still really good, though.

Henley - Frey were tightly united in running the group with an iron fist. I wonder what the dynamic is now that Frey's gone and his kid & Vince Gill are in.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I thought I read that Frey's kid was quitting the tour. Maybe I was dreaming. I have no interest in this lineup.

Felder has a book about his time in the Eagles. I actually read it. Pretty good read if you like the Eagles. Dude could play a mean guitar.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:29 pm
Felder has a book about his time in the Eagles. I actually read it. Pretty good read if you like the Eagles. Dude could play a mean guitar.
I did.
I think his contribution is underrated by many.
Never seen him live, though, and probably won't.

I also have Chicago drummer Danny Seraphine's (central lesson: when you insist on getting your way all the time, you may win more battles, but end up losing the war) and Warren/Crystal Zevon's. Zevon's was a tough read. Love his work and he seems likeable in interviews, Letterman appearances, etc, but he doesn't come off well here. Interestingly, he insisted on it being that way. I'd love to know which of a couple possible reasons he had for wanting that.
Last edited by Moriarty on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The easy listening thing continues. After the Don Henley song, this one popped up.

I really like it. Listen to the lyrics. Heartbreaking. Hornsby's voice is outstanding.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:05 pm
Otis Day wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:29 pm
I did.

I also have Chicago drummer Danny Seraphine's (central lesson: when you insist on getting your way all the time, you may win more battles, but end up losing the war) and Warren/Crystal Zevon's. Zevon's was a tough read. Love his work and he seems likeable in interviews, Letterman appearances, etc, but he doesn't come off well here. Interestingly, he insisted on it being that way. I'd love to know which of a couple possible reasons he had for wanting that.
Didn't know Seraphine had a book. Will definitely read that. I am a big Chicago fan, have been since I was a young 'un. Listened to a lot of Zevon also. Currently reading a book on Hendrix.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:29 am
Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:05 pm

I did.

Didn't know Seraphine had a book. Will definitely read that. I am a big Chicago fan, have been since I was a young 'un. Listened to a lot of Zevon also. Currently reading a book on Hendrix.
Otis, I know you're a big blues fan. Mike Bloomfield's bio is really good. Buddy Guy's bio is a fun read.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am going to have to start making a list. I love Buddy Guy. I have seen him twice but it has been a long time since the last one.

I don't read very quickly. I will start off strong and then peter out. I have reading comprehension problems so I usually have to read a page 2x. If it is my book I will highlight or underline and that will help me remember what I read. Books that tend to interest me are music related and books about serial killers.

TMP, Hornsby is underrated as well. He has penned popular songs for others. Not sure if he still plays with the Dead and Company anymore, but he did that for awhile.

Getting hyped for Marcus King tomorrow night. Been listening to quite a bit of his stuff the past week. How this guy's stuff is not played on any radio is beyond me.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, Marcus King was worth the price of admission. The dude can do it all. If you like the Allman Bros., Tedeschi Trucks, Warren Haynes/Govt Mule, Chris Stapleton, you will like this guy. He played 2 1/2 hrs!! Not many peeps do that in these days.

Speaking of Buddy Guy, got tickets to see him with Eric Gales and Ally Venable. It is Buddy's Damn Right Farewell Tour. I have to see him before he is gone.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@Bears Whiskey Nut

Been going down a very serious, and very fun, rabbit hole with Post Malone.

Check this out.

Post Malone For President

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:16 am Well, Marcus King was worth the price of admission. The dude can do it all. If you like the Allman Bros., Tedeschi Trucks, Warren Haynes/Govt Mule, Chris Stapleton, you will like this guy. He played 2 1/2 hrs!! Not many peeps do that in these days.

Speaking of Buddy Guy, got tickets to see him with Eric Gales and Ally Venable. It is Buddy's Damn Right Farewell Tour. I have to see him before he is gone.
Saw Buddy a few years back. He had a young gunslinger for st of the intense guitar work but still played and sang. Very good show.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Young white kid? If so, probably Quinn Sullivan. Buddy had brought him along since he was about 8 yrs old.