Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:51 pm
5 things we learned from Bears QB Justin Fields

(1) Fields was a Falcons fan while growing up in Kennesaw, Ga.

The Bears quarterback revealed that his father had Falcons season tickets and they attended several games together. Fields' favorite players were quarterback Matt Ryan and receiver Julio Jones.

(2) Fields clarified that when he said his legs were sore after last Sunday's game against the Lions, it wasn't due to any hits he took.

"It's just the running," he said. "My legs just felt heavy after the game. The guys on the strength staff said that my load has been pretty high, so just been doing a little bit of tapering back this week in practice."

(3) Fields has consistently been able to follow a bad play with a good one, a "next play" mentality he learned early in life.

"I've had it since I was a little kid," he said. "I remember playing T-ball at six years old and after striking out I would go to the dugout and cry.

"Just those little lessons right there and then. You can't do anything about the past. You've got to move on and you can only control what's going on in the now. Just getting to that point, not really worrying about what's happened in the past and stuff like that."

Full article: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/5-thi ... tin-fields
"I remember playing T-ball at six years old and after striking out I would go to the dugout and cry." How do you strike out in T-ball. :-P
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:15 pm
The NFL talking head overhype train is in full swing. It's always amazing to me how fast exciting players get elevated to superstar status, when functionally Justin hasn't proven that he can be a winning NFL QB. Let me see him throw for 300 yards two games in a row, and then we can compare him to Dak or whoever else you want to. Fields is the media darling right now, and they will destroy him as soon as he doesn't live up to the hype.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:09 pm
The NFL talking head overhype train is in full swing. It's always amazing to me how fast exciting players get elevated to superstar status, when functionally Justin hasn't proven that he can be a winning NFL QB. Let me see him throw for 300 yards two games in a row, and then we can compare him to Dak or whoever else you want to. Fields is the media darling right now, and they will destroy him as soon as he doesn't live up to the hype.
Just remember that these losers in sports media are never held accountable.

Video after video after video of teenage girl level whining. OMG +H1s Qb 1$ tH3 WuRsT Ev@H!

Are idiots like Chris Berman, Mel Kiper Jr., Mike Mayock, Orlvosky (Who did jack shit in the NFL himself yet somehow is an authority on anything?) or any of those assorted characters EVER held accountable and banished for being constantly wrong?

No.

Disconnect from that shit. It's bad for you.

I care about Tony Romo's opinion and Troy Aikman's. If The GOAT does broadcasting when he's done, then I'll listen to him too. Otherwise it's just bullshit.
otis
Pro Bowler

300 yards needs to be his next milestone. no picks and 2 td's. get chase involved for a score and keep hitting kmet. i'd still like to lose on a 65 yard field goal to keep us at the top of the draft but i haven't felt this happy about the bears since 2001.

i still want to see leatherwood out there. i kinda excited about our oline.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:09 pm
Points well taken. When they started talking Fields over Dak right now, I was like "c'mon man!" But it's certainly fun to hear this kind of talk about a Bears QB isn't it? And this thread is about delirious excitement, right? :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

If Dallas offered us Dak for Fields straight up, and the money was identical, I'd keep Fields.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:54 pm If Dallas offered us Dak for Fields straight up, and the money was identical, I'd keep Fields.
I wouldn’t even take Dallas’ call, if they want Fields they’ll need to trade us their roster and picks
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:17 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:51 pm
"I remember playing T-ball at six years old and after striking out I would go to the dugout and cry." How do you strike out in T-ball. :-P
I was thinking the same thing, and then I saw this. What's really funny is that he runs off like he just hit a home run. No crying in the dugout here. :rofl:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:39 pm
dplank wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:54 pm If Dallas offered us Dak for Fields straight up, and the money was identical, I'd keep Fields.
I wouldn’t even take Dallas’ call, if they want Fields they’ll need to trade us their roster and picks
I would trade Fields for Mahomes or maybe John Allen.

Otherwise any opposing GM calling can pick out the corn niblets from my shit.

I'm not saying I think he's the third best QB in football RIGHT NOW. What I am saying is that Fields is really good right now and we still don't even fully understand his upside.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:13 pm

I'm not saying I think he's the third best QB in football RIGHT NOW. What I am saying is that Fields is really good right now and we still don't even fully understand his upside.
I’m going to say this, and people are going poo-poo it. Justin Fields, if he can learn the drop back passing portion (throwing receivers open, throwing with anticipation, etc). He could be the most dominant dual threat QB this league has ever seen. The kid has ice water in his veins, all the talent in the World, and a drive to be great.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mahomes is not nearly as fast as Fields. Like not close. You can’t teach speed.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:09 pm
Mahomes is not nearly as fast as Fields. Like not close. You can’t teach speed.
He is not. He's a substantially better QB right now, though.

I love JF1 and think he's going to be great — not good, great — but I wouldn't pass up Ma'homie because he's not as fast as Fields.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:07 pm

I’m going to say this, and people are going poo-poo it. Justin Fields, if he can learn the drop back passing portion (throwing receivers open, throwing with anticipation, etc). He could be the most dominant dual threat QB this league has ever seen. The kid has ice water in his veins, all the talent in the World, and a drive to be great.
I totally agree.

Imagine this guy after the upcoming offseason after those draft choices are used along with all that cap space.

Other than himself, there aren't any weapons in that offense that keep DCs up at night. Sorry, but nobody loses sleep over Darnell Mooney. Mooney is a great guy and likes to advertise he has a Jugs machine in his house, but the opposing CB1 and DC aren't staying up late that Saturday night questioning their life choices because they have to go up against Darnell Mooney.

If JF1 gets an elite #1 WR plus 2 maybe 3 OL positions upgraded (C, RT, LT), we are going to see some crazy shit from that guy.

It's not like JF1 cannot make the throws. He can make any throw imaginable. It's just a learning / confidence / supporting cast thing. The first two of those are improving massively. We just need to get this guy his Scottie Pippen, John Paxon, and Bill Cartwright.

Even the act of getting him an NFL average defense will be huge because he'll have drives that start off at the 40 or 50 instead of the 20 all the time.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Another indication of the nationwide buzz growing around JF:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... alcons-nfl

And I bet the purchaser didn't even get that stale piece of gum with it.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A ‘shoe-in’ Hall of Famer

The cleats Justin Fields wore when he rushed for 178 yards against the Dolphins — the most rushing yards by a quarterback in a regular-season game — will be displayed at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/202 ... vs-falcons
Let's hope there will be a bronze bust next to those cleats one day.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Bears have finally found an identity with physical ballcarriers

Bears quarterback Justin Fields had just trucked Lions safety DeShon Elliott at the goal line to score in the second quarter last Sunday when he stomped down the Bears’ sideline with his helmet off, screaming.

The typically mild-mannered Fields didn’t remember what he said.

“But I was definitely hyped up,” he said.

He wanted to make his teammates feel the same way, even if it took lowering his throwing shoulder into a tackler to do it.

“That is the competitor in him,” offensive coordinator Luke Getsy said. “I think that’s why these guys rally around him. He’s about winning. The dude just wants to win. That’s our mindset.”

“I think what the Bears have done is they’ve found an identity,” Falcons coach Arthur Smith told reporters this week. “They have a formula right now. You see what the numbers are — running the football as well as anybody. And [Fields] is a huge part of that, whether it’s designed runs or you get into a game like New England when they get those third downs and he was able to break those tackles. He’s a hard guy to bring down, and those play extensions, they have been crushing to some people.”

And inspiring to others. Running back David Montgomery, who figures to get the majority of the carries Sunday with Khalil Herbert on injured reserve, wasn’t worried about Fields lowering his shoulder at the goal line.

“Because he’s Justin,” Montgomery said. “I was more concerned about the guy he had trucked. Seriously.”

Elliott, the tackler, was helped off the field with a concussion.

That one-yard run impressed more teammates than Fields’ 67-yard touchdown sprint late in the game.

“He’s supposed to slide,” Montgomery said with a smile. “If y’all haven’t noticed, Justin has a problem sliding.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... -cole-kmet
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Just a little nugget...
NFL Research: Justin Fields recorded his fifth straight game with at least one passing touchdown and one rush TD, tying Kyler Murray for the longest such streak since 1950.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-seaso ... ay-s-games
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Thanks HRS :thumbsup: you’ve just helped me nudge the dial towards a 9-10 this week

dplank
Hall of Famer

Today wasn't his best day, could see a 10-10 but agree with 9-10. I also wonder if maybe Rich has seen enough to go ahead and throw in the towel on this debate and agree that Fields is a franchise QB?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:22 pm I also wonder if maybe Rich has seen enough to go ahead and throw in the towel on this debate and agree that Fields is a franchise QB?
Okay, now that's funny.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:22 pm Today wasn't his best day, could see a 10-10 but agree with 9-10. I also wonder if maybe Rich has seen enough to go ahead and throw in the towel on this debate and agree that Fields is a franchise QB?
This is the game I should throw in the towel on? Nah.

I think that is an even round - if he hits Mooney or doesn't hit the OL helmet its probably 9-10

He still made some plays - still an absolute force in the run game - still needs to tighten up the passing part of his game.

Have we figured out why he's been inaccurate? I have certainly voiced concerns about aspects of his game dating back to college - BUT accuracy really wasn't part of it. What has been going on?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:22 pm Today wasn't his best day, could see a 10-10 but agree with 9-10. I also wonder if maybe Rich has seen enough to go ahead and throw in the towel on this debate and agree that Fields is a franchise QB?
Honestly have you seen enough? Hes been pure excitement for 3 games. I get that. I personally have not seen enough. 3 games. Nope. I love the potential, I haven't seen definitive proof.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think the last 5-6 games in sum ended this debate. I have seen enough yea, he’s made more big plays in the last month than any Bears QB of my lifetime.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:52 pm I think the last 5-6 games in sum ended this debate. I have seen enough yea, he’s made more big plays in the last month than any Bears QB of my lifetime.
I wish I had your optimism. Hes certainly exciting. However I cant comprehend the franchise QB. It's not worth a debate because I'm hopeful, but I cant understand that logic.
dplank
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:59 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:52 pm I think the last 5-6 games in sum ended this debate. I have seen enough yea, he’s made more big plays in the last month than any Bears QB of my lifetime.
I wish I had your optimism. Hes certainly exciting. However I cant comprehend the franchise QB. It's not worth a debate because I'm hopeful, but I cant understand that logic.
Yea I’m not trying to convince anyone, but it’s how I feel for sure. He’s an electric player taking the league by storm, national media attention and all. We haven’t seen that here ever, I’m sold.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’ve seen enough.
He doesn’t have any lack of talent.
Holding the ball too long comes from a lack of confidence and a lack of options.
As his game and this team matures, he’s definitely a franchise quarter back. There is nothing he can’t do, he just needs confidence to throw the ball and confidence in his team mates.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:24 pm
This is the game I should throw in the towel on? Nah.

I think that is an even round - if he hits Mooney or doesn't hit the OL helmet its probably 9-10

He still made some plays - still an absolute force in the run game - still needs to tighten up the passing part of his game.

Have we figured out why he's been inaccurate? I have certainly voiced concerns about aspects of his game dating back to college - BUT accuracy really wasn't part of it. What has been going on?
Ok Rich, I’ll concede the weekly score to you again because I believe in fairness. 10-10 it is

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I’ve said this several times. Justin needs to start throwing the ball and trust that his receivers will make a play. He can’t keep pulling the ball back down to look for a better option. Our OL is not good enough. Not remotely. Until he can prove to teams that he is a competent passer, DC’s will continue to scheme heavy against the run.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Ask the question this way: if the season ended today, we are picking high, and a QB is there for us. Do you draft the QB or trade down? I trade down, we have our QB and now we need to build around him.

This is so “Bears fan” to me. The NATIONAL media is fawning all over a Bears QB, literally mentioning him in MVP talk and calling him the best playmaker in the NFL, and it’s still not good enough! We’ve literally never seen this happen here, not ever. A few RBs and a few of our defensive players caught league attention this way, never a QB. Y2, new offense, terrible surrounding talent. My god people…..