Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

artbest01
Crafty Veteran

IMO, Fields has gone from one and a half feet out the door to someone who should be given every chance to succeed - i.e. with a better surrounding cast in 2023. He has not yet earned having his 5th year option picked up or his second (big) contract. Relying that heavily on Fields' legs is not sustainable imo - he will have a very short career if they do.

Fields, in my view, has to show a lot of improvement as a passer. We've seen glimpses - the final scoring drive in Atlanta is a prime example - the absolute dime to Montgomery, the third and 12 wizardry that culminated in the completion to St. Brown. At the same time, Fields' deep ball accuracy doesn't seem to be where it's been - he has to hit that throw to Mooney. He still seems to hold the ball longer than he should. Yesterday's abysmal play calling in the final two minutes notwithstanding, Fields hasn't shown that he can lead a team to victory on a final drive.

Teams are going to stop the gash runs - but that means the passing game will present opportunity. Fields, when he's healthy enough to play, has to show he can succeed in a rhythm passing attack, he has to get Claypool more involved - if he's being single covered, at his size, he's open even when he doesn't appear to be. Fields needs to show he can thrive in games where has to throw it 35-40 times. He needs to complete over 60% of his passes on a regular basis.

2023 is a HUGE year for him.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

artbest01 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:08 pm IMO, Fields has gone from one and a half feet out the door to someone who should be given every chance to succeed - i.e. with a better surrounding cast in 2023. He has not yet earned having his 5th year option picked up or his second (big) contract. Relying that heavily on Fields' legs is not sustainable imo - he will have a very short career if they do.

Fields, in my view, has to show a lot of improvement as a passer. We've seen glimpses - the final scoring drive in Atlanta is a prime example - the absolute dime to Montgomery, the third and 12 wizardry that culminated in the completion to St. Brown. At the same time, Fields' deep ball accuracy doesn't seem to be where it's been - he has to hit that throw to Mooney. He still seems to hold the ball longer than he should. Yesterday's abysmal play calling in the final two minutes notwithstanding, Fields hasn't shown that he can lead a team to victory on a final drive.

Teams are going to stop the gash runs - but that means the passing game will present opportunity. Fields, when he's healthy enough to play, has to show he can succeed in a rhythm passing attack, he has to get Claypool more involved - if he's being single covered, at his size, he's open even when he doesn't appear to be. Fields needs to show he can thrive in games where has to throw it 35-40 times. He needs to complete over 60% of his passes on a regular basis.

2023 is a HUGE year for him.

Excellent post Art
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The only thing Justin Fields needs right now is a good offensive line.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:02 pm Rustin (and all)......forget the hyperbole and just take in these FACTS.

Justin Fields over the last 5 weeks:

Average Passing Yards per game: 154.6
Average Rushing Yards per game: 110.6
Average Total Yards per game: 265.2
Average Team Points scored per game: 29.6
Average Completion Percentage: 64.6%
TD (all) : Turnovers (all): 15:3
TD:INT (passing only): 9:3 (3:1)
QBR: 99.06
Additional Note: He broke the all time single game rushing record by a QB (Vick) and the all time 2-game rushing total by a QB.

He has accomplished this given these circumstances: Being a Y2 QB, being in a new offense with a Y1 OC/Playcaller, with an OL that struggles mightily in pass protection, and a sub par (to say the least) set of pass catchers.

I find this fucking incredible to be honest. I'm not mad when people want to see his passing game improve, but IT HAS. Fields also does not call the plays, Getsy does, so the lack of pass attempts falls on him mostly (some on Fields too for scrambling occasionally when he should pass, but those are often off set by great runs).

Any Bears fan who is not happy with this post needs to see a shrink immediately. What the actual fuck are we doing here? He's making mind blowing plays every single game now, and the takeaway by some is mostly NEGATIVE? Because you don't see it as either sustainable or not the style of play you want? GMAFB. This is what I see as being ungrateful. He's doing all this IN SPITE OF those circumstances, maybe consider those circumstances before complaining that he isn't doing enough with his arm vs legs? Maybe as the OL and pass catchers improve and we get into Y2 of the offense we will see more arm vs legs? And instead of citing year long stats to purposely deflate his current status, look at where he is right now as this offense is starting to gel a bit - it's a far more accurate view.

Its very weird to see the Mic Drop - Especially for the guy saying progress isn't linear - Have to look at the whole (apparently not the negative stuff though) yadda yadda - but 4-5 Good Games??? MIC DROP!

Dplank - I specifically remember you on Mitch. During the GOOD Mitch year. Noting that his passing needed work and that the Legs/Runs were Unsustainable for Long Term success (*). Going after those who were too positive on Mitch

"Because you don't see it as either sustainable or not the style of play you want? GMAFB. "

He literally got hurt this last game BTW.

(*) There is a fair point that while Mitch was certainly a Good Athlete - Fields is a Superlative one. Then the question becomes is this Lamar Jackson or even a better Lamar Jackson? That's a pretty fair question.

But yes - glad to see its just Absolutism. Serves everyone well
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HA!

Then Plank drops a multi-warhead ICBM that would make an Ohio class submarine feel weak by comparison.

Am I the only one who felt the need to have a cigarette (and I don’t even smoke) after reading that post?
karhu
Head Coach

He's a different kind of QB with a different kind of development trajectory.

And until he's able to use the pass to take the pressure off his need to run--until he uses the passing game consistently enough to keep himself from wearing down in the fourth quarter--he'll be what he currently is. An incomplete, very exciting, possibly short-lived QB whose talents don't project very well to his team's success.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:35 pm He's a different kind of QB with a different kind of development trajectory.

And until he's able to use the pass to take the pressure off his need to run--until he uses the passing game consistently enough to keep himself from wearing down in the fourth quarter--he'll be what he currently is. An incomplete, very exciting, possibly short-lived QB whose talents don't project very well to his team's success.
Yes, I follow this observation. I don't like it but to me it seems a fair summation of where we are right now.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

Except that it completely ignores all context. I’d agree with this if the circumstances aren’t what they are, but…

I’m genuinely curious why Bears fans go out of their way to distort the eval in a negative way by ignoring the obvious surrounding factors?

Karhu, do you think Fields calls his own plays? Do you think he plays defense? Do you think scoring 30PPG is winning football? I get that you have narratives that you don't break for any reason and all, but why don't you acknowledge these things when you make those declarative statements that are so devoid of context?
Last edited by dplank on Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:54 am What the fuck is going on in here...
Same crap that goes on all time around here.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm just defending my QB, and can't for the life of me wrap my head around why some fans want to just tear him down. It's like handing a homeless person $20 and them bitching that you didn't give them $40. Bears have been without a special QB for 100 years, we have one that's turning heads and breaking records, and some folks just can't stop bitching. It's just....remarkable.

I am NOT...repeat NOT....pointing that comment at those who simply want to see him throw more and with more anticipation. It's a valid wish to see that part of his game grow. The rest is just....I don't even have words for it.
Last edited by dplank on Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:45 am
wab wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:45 am

This is the point I was trying to make the other day. I can be absolutely enthralled with how electric and exciting Fields has been...cheer my ass off for him and marvel at the things he does on Sunday...and still hope/point out he has room to grow in the passing game.

I don't understand the absolutism that is applied to Fields around here.
Not absolutism.

Rather a realistic expectation of what we want out of a QB who is 1.5 years in on his second HC and OC with a limited supporting at best and no defense.

There is a vibe that the Bitch Fest Free Expectation is for Fields to be this Christ-Like figure feeding an entire stadium with one hot dog and an order of fries.

His feet.
His arm angle.
His ball holding time (my favorite).

And on and on and on.

If that’s what we’re going to be dealing with for the next ten years as we discuss JF1, then a shit ton of people around should contact a therapist via their EAP and then a medical doctor for several prescriptions for anti-anxiety meds.
Listen Fields is no Jesus Christ. Jesus needed 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. So I think Fields would 6 hot dogs and 4 orders of fries to accomplish what you are talking about. I say this being a big supporter of his (Fields and Jesus).
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i'd kill a man right now for an italian beef, soaking wet, with a mound of giardiniera.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Just a clarification.

In my mind, the reason Field's talents don't project well for the Bears' success is because he runs too much and his body is not likely to last very long.

Maybe the coaches can keep him intact for the balance of this season but they'll need to try a lot harder.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:47 pm Just a clarification.

In my mind, the reason Field's talents don't project well for the Bears' success is because he runs too much and his body is not likely to last very long.

Maybe the coaches can keep him intact for the balance of this season but they'll need to try a lot harder.
I would like to see Getsy pull back a bit, winning games is immaterial at this point
karhu
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:22 pm Except that it completely ignores all context.
Not true. That entire post was explicitly framed in the context of Fields's continued development. Please explain the context you believe was missing.
I’d agree with this if the circumstances aren’t what they are, but…
And you'd be writing in French if weren't writing in English, sure.
I’m genuinely curious why Bears fans go out of their way to distort the eval in a negative way by ignoring the obvious surrounding factors?
I'm just as curious why you're so eager to perceive honest disagreements as displays of bad faith or worse. Sounds like a rotten way to be.
Karhu, do you think Fields calls his own plays? Do you think he plays defense? Do you think scoring 30PPG is winning football?
No comment. But I'm proud to announce that I've stopped beating my wife.
I get that you have narratives that you don't break for any reason and all,
Please elaborate. What narratives are those? On what basis do you believe that I'm unwilling to "break" them?
but why don't you acknowledge these things
Which things?

The fact that Fields doesn't call the plays offsets at least somewhat your point about the amount we're scoring lately. Someone around here was ready to anoint Getsy our new HC specifically because the changes he made to the offense generated more points.

Defense is irrelevant to a discussion of Fields's development as a QB, at least at this point. He certainly isn't being forced to throw too often because of how far behind we're falling.

So...that's why. Because those things aren't things.
why don't you acknowledge these things when you make those declarative statements that are so devoid of context?
Declarative statements are kinda the lifeblood of a message board. Question of context previously addressed.
Last edited by karhu on Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:22 pm Except that it completely ignores all context. I’d agree with this if the circumstances aren’t what they are, but…

I don't think anyone (okay, nearly anyone) is going out of their way to distort the evaluation negatively.

What they're looking at is precedent: guys who are all-timers manage to overcome the surrounding factors (albeit with varying degrees of success). Fields is a playmaker making plays. Wanting more of those plays to come from his arm than from his legs isn't criticizing, it's acknowledging that's how the modenr NFL game works.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:22 pm I’m genuinely curious why Bears fans go out of their way to distort the eval in a negative way by ignoring the obvious surrounding factors?
LITERALLY NO ONE IS DOING THIS. THIS IS WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I am delerious over this news about Fields

https://wgntv.com/sports/bears-report/j ... o-falcons/

They say he is day-to-day. I feared it would be bad enough they came out and said he was being shelved.
karhu
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:46 pm i'd kill a man right now for an italian beef, soaking wet, with a mound of giardiniera.
We'll always have this as common ground. Count me in as a member of the That One Al's That I Went to With My Dad Around Bridgeport Before It Closed Down Death Squad.

Shit, I can't even find decent giardiniera here in the PNW.
Last edited by karhu on Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:01 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:22 pm Except that it completely ignores all context. I’d agree with this if the circumstances aren’t what they are, but…

I don't think anyone (okay, nearly anyone) is going out of their way to distort the evaluation negatively.

What they're looking at is precedent: guys who are all-timers manage to overcome the surrounding factors (albeit with varying degrees of success). Fields is a playmaker making plays. Wanting more of those plays to come from his arm than from his legs isn't criticizing, it's acknowledging that's how the modenr NFL game works.
Cosigned. I'd add that for my money, wanting him to throw more comfortably and consistently a greater variety of passes is my way of wanting him to continue running effectively.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:28 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:45 am

Not absolutism.

Rather a realistic expectation of what we want out of a QB who is 1.5 years in on his second HC and OC with a limited supporting at best and no defense.

There is a vibe that the Bitch Fest Free Expectation is for Fields to be this Christ-Like figure feeding an entire stadium with one hot dog and an order of fries.

His feet.
His arm angle.
His ball holding time (my favorite).

And on and on and on.

If that’s what we’re going to be dealing with for the next ten years as we discuss JF1, then a shit ton of people around should contact a therapist via their EAP and then a medical doctor for several prescriptions for anti-anxiety meds.
Listen Fields is no Jesus Christ. Jesus needed 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. So I think Fields would 6 hot dogs and 4 orders of fries to accomplish what you are talking about. I say this being a big supporter of his (Fields and Jesus).
Same here.

Now any truth to the rumor that when Fields tried walking across the water of the local water park that he fell straight through?

Can’t have that.

Better tank for Stroud.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:09 pm
RustinFields wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:46 pm i'd kill a man right now for an italian beef, soaking wet, with a mound of giardiniera.
We'll always have this as common ground. Count me in as a member of the That One Al's That I Went to With My Dad Around Bridgeport Before It Closed Down Death Squad.

Shit, I can't even find decent giardiniera here in the PNW.
There's a local pizza place close to me that does an amazing anitpasto plate that has some really good one (at least they're the best I've had, for all I know they maybe crap compared to really good ones - reminds me of when I ate at Carmine's in NYC, it appears prior to that date i had never had really good Italian food as that place was light years ahead anything I've ever had in my life!!!!!!!!!!!). The pizza at that place is total crap but their antipasto plate and salads are amazing.

Edit, scratch that they WERE amazing they shut down a few month ago. Likely because everything else they had sucked.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We need a thread about beef sandwiches.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

pus wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:17 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:23 am Ask the question this way: if the season ended today, we are picking high, and a QB is there for us. Do you draft the QB or trade down? I trade down, we have our QB and now we need to build around him.

This is so “Bears fan” to me. The NATIONAL media is fawning all over a Bears QB, literally mentioning him in MVP talk and calling him the best playmaker in the NFL, and it’s still not good enough! We’ve literally never seen this happen here, not ever. A few RBs and a few of our defensive players caught league attention this way, never a QB. Y2, new offense, terrible surrounding talent. My god people…..
Maybe your point is moot because JF1 isn't going to last very long with the beating he's been taking.
He’s unbreakable, physically and certainly mentally.

Some of those pussy late hits he’s taken, he’s going to get his revenge on those players by humiliating their teams on the pitch. Maybe not this year, but he’s keeping track of those bastards
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:47 pm
“Delirious excitement over beef”
:lol:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:08 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:47 pm

“Delirious excitement over beef”
:lol:
Works for me.

Edit: I would also like a thread discussing the various org charts we discussed during chat yesterday.

As of now, and I reserve the right to change my mind....

Getsy: Head Coach
Flus: Assistant To The Traveling Secretary (a.k.a. The George Costanza of the Bears.)
DC Williams: Vice Assistant Lead To The Director Of Snack Food Dispensary Coordination
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:02 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:22 pm I’m genuinely curious why Bears fans go out of their way to distort the eval in a negative way by ignoring the obvious surrounding factors?
LITERALLY NO ONE IS DOING THIS. THIS IS WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.
I disagree. Most aren’t, but there’s a few posters really invested in their argument and only post negative takes. And there’s many more on Twitter who behave similarly.

These Bears fans are like dudes who have dated ugly chicks their whole lives then randomly land a smoking hot chick, call her a 9 - I’m talking like hotter than Queen Latifah 😉. The only thing wrong is she has wears a size 9 shoe instead of a 6. And all the guy talks about is her shoe size and not about how lucky he is to land a smoke show.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:14 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:54 am What the fuck is going on in here...
Oh sure….NOW you show up.

Just your typical Bears forum QB debate.

Compared to Cutler and especially Mitch this is extraordinarily mild.
I don't have the energy these days.

Fields is the most talented QB the Chicago Bears have ever had. If we don't get him murdered or ruin him by changing schemes (or coordinators) every year/other year he should be here the next 15+ seasons.

I agree with @RustinFields, albeit it slightly, that Fields is a better RB right now than QB. That's fine and to be expected in a brand new scheme (one where Russell Wilson is struggling, I might add) and has the shit compounding with an awful offensive line and receiving weapons.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

G08 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:50 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:14 pm

Oh sure….NOW you show up.

Just your typical Bears forum QB debate.

Compared to Cutler and especially Mitch this is extraordinarily mild.

Fields is the most talented QB the Chicago Bears have ever had. If we don't get him murdered or ruin him by changing schemes (or coordinators) every year/other year he should be here the next 15+ seasons.

I agree with , albeit it slightly, that Fields is a better RB right now than QB. That's fine and to be expected in a brand new scheme (one where Russell Wilson is struggling, I might add) and has the shit compounding with an awful offensive line and receiving weapons.
He’s actually been a good QB though when he’s had chances or made chances with his athleticism but has been let down by officials ignoring egregious pass interference penalties that could have resulted in comeback wins and guys dropping perfectly thrown passes. Watch the clip, it’s Fields literally doing everything but catch the ball. That and the throw is elite play. His running might overshadow it but his actual arm talent and QB play shouldn’t be diminished because of it.

G08
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:41 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:50 pm

I agree with , albeit it slightly, that Fields is a better RB right now than QB. That's fine and to be expected in a brand new scheme (one where Russell Wilson is struggling, I might add) and has the shit compounding with an awful offensive line and receiving weapons.
He’s actually been a good QB though when he’s had chances or made chances with his athleticism but has been let down by officials ignoring egregious pass interference penalties that could have resulted in comeback wins and guys dropping perfectly thrown passes. Watch the clip, it’s Fields literally doing everything but catch the ball. That and the throw is elite play. His running might overshadow it but his actual arm talent and QB play shouldn’t be diminished because of it.

I thought he was really good on that drive. I think what bothers me is the amount of times I see his back foot hit and the ball is not out.

In a timing-based offense, that's a bad look. I haven't seen the All-22 so I don't know what he was seeing, etc, but it sticks out in my mind.

But like I said, this is a new offense for him and one that has Russell Wilson playing the worst football of his career.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS