Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:12 am
Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:15 pm I would be willing to bet either Fields or the #1 pick will be traded by the first week of free agency. So we got about 6 weeks to keep arguing about this.
The combine ends on March 4th.

FA starts on March 11th.

My hope is that Caleb Williams has the greatest combine in the history of the NFL and the pick is traded right after the combine.

Then Poles has everything in place for the start of FA.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/impor ... -offseason
If you want a trade down, you want Williams to be weird in interviews and do nothing else.

If he does drills and has the greatest combine ever he is 100% a Bear.

Of course if he does have the greatest combine ever, which would include answering the mental/leadership questions some, he may be the key to the dream. Super Duper Offene has multiple ways to be achieved. The greatest combine ever would require reevaluation of trade down vs qb imo
dplank
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:57 am

FA starts on March 11th.

My hope is that Caleb Williams has the greatest combine in the history of the NFL and the pick is traded right after the combine.

If you want a trade down, you want Williams to be weird in interviews and do nothing else.

Of course if he does have the greatest combine ever, which would include answering the mental/leadership questions some, he may be the key to the dream. Super Duper Offene has multiple ways to be achieved. The greatest combine ever would require reevaluation of trade down vs qb imo
Yep. The ultimate win here would be us taking Williams and him being the next Mahomes - no doubt about that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:57 am

FA starts on March 11th.

Super Duper Offense really is a goal and I think we’re close.

We can fix C in FA. We have all kinds of money and all we need to somebody that can snap the ball and block decently. Even that type of average performance is a huge upgrade. Let alone if we actually sign somebody that is great.

WR2 is begging to be fixed via draft. That 9 pick is WR2. Signing a guy in FA to what like $15M+ would be a disaster because I’d rather use that on a pass rusher or to absorb the salary of the star player we get in a trade down.

The second first rounder is a wild card. Depends on where we land with the trade down and what kind of star player we get. But people here a while ago said Bowers and at first I thought it was odd because we have Kmet but I don’t think that idea is too crazy at all.
I Take The Field With Fields

wab
Mod

Yeah if Williams crushes the combine, from both a physical and mental standpoint, then he's 100% a Bear.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:15 pm I would be willing to bet either Fields or the #1 pick will be traded by the first week of free agency. So we got about 6 weeks to keep arguing about this.

FA starts on March 11th.

I think whichever way Poles goes he is going to want to have it done before FA starts.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:32 am Yeah if Williams crushes the combine, from both a physical and mental standpoint, then he's 100% a Bear.
Is he even going to work out? Think he will show up to his interviews in his shiny red Porsche?
LacertineForest
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:15 pm
wab wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:32 am Yeah if Williams crushes the combine, from both a physical and mental standpoint, then he's 100% a Bear.
Is he even going to work out? Think he will show up to his interviews in his shiny red Porsche?
We all know the best prospects show up in their grandma's Toyota Camry:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

And a Bud Light, ala Jim McMahon.
Magilla_Gorilla
Journeyman

Hope so. Bijan had a Lamborghini. Xavier Worthy and Quinn Ewers drove Aston Martin's. NIL has been pretty awesome for college athletes - and rightfully so.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:56 pm

Hope so. Bijan had a Lamborghini. Xavier Worthy and Quinn Ewers drove Aston Martin's. NIL has been pretty awesome for college athletes - and rightfully so.
Not a huge fan of the NIL. They needed to do something I just think the way it panned out wasn't the best outcome. But i don't have a better solution.

Now the transfer portal? That think is freaking awful. Think it's going to make it harder for "lessor" program to keep guys that turn into stud from going to the major programs.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:39 pm

In Caleb’s case it could be in mommy’s car seat in the back of the SUV.

If you don’t settle down back there I’ll turn this car around right now and no combine for you mister!

WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 pm

If you don’t settle down back there I’ll turn this car around right now and no combine for you mister!

WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
LacertineForest
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
LMAO. They say he's short for a QB, too (Christ, wish I was 6'0"+) - maybe he can sit in a booster seat.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:04 pm
Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:56 pm NIL has been pretty awesome for college athletes - and rightfully so.
Not a huge fan of the NIL. They needed to do something I just think the way it panned out wasn't the best outcome. But i don't have a better solution.

Now the transfer portal? That think is freaking awful. Think it's going to make it harder for "lessor" program to keep guys that turn into stud from going to the major programs.
I have zero problem with NIL — about time the athletes got something — or with the transfer portal. Penalizing the players when the coach who recruited them jumps to a lesser program to one of the majors has always felt like bullshit to me.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:37 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:04 pm

I have zero problem with NIL — about time the athletes got something — or with the transfer portal. Penalizing the players when the coach who recruited them jumps to a lesser program to one of the majors has always felt like bullshit to me.
I think it's ultimately leading to competitive imbalance, killing conferences, and watering down college football. BUT...I completely understand the importance of being compensated for the brand that you've created.

Universities have made millions upon millions off of these players...they reaped the benefits for years. There were bound to be consequences to that eventually.

I have a friend whose daughter plays softball for Texas Tech. She's a freshman...and she makes like ten grand a month off of licensing and sponsorships.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:00 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:37 pm

I think it's ultimately leading to competitive imbalance, killing conferences, and watering down college football. BUT...I completely understand the importance of being compensated for the brand that you've created.

Universities have made millions upon millions off of these players...they reaped the benefits for years. There were bound to be consequences to that eventually.

I have a friend whose daughter plays softball for Texas Tech. She's a freshman...and she makes like ten grand a month off of licensing and sponsorships.

From Texas Tech girls softball???

That has to be some amalgamation of all TT sports and then someone arbitrarily awarded their sport that amount, I hope. Unless she's THE star of the team, I can't comprehend any other way to process those numbers.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Magilla_Gorilla
Journeyman

Moriarty wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:37 pm
wab wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:00 pm

From Texas Tech girls softball???

That has to be some amalgamation of all TT sports and then someone arbitrarily awarded their sport that amount, I hope. Unless she's THE star of the team, I can't comprehend any other way to process those numbers.
That is definitely a booster who has taken a special interest in the Softball team if those numbers are correct. Not even scholarship football players at Texas are guaranteed 100k a year from NIL.

With all due respect to Texas Tech softball, they're a bottom of the Big12 program, if their players are making that kind of money they should be recruiting like Oklahoma. Unless of course this is a Livvy Dunne type situation.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Is driving a nice car now worse or better than crying?

I have to keep up with the metrics that matter - I'm told TTT or Sack % doesn't matter - So what is the rating system for Car QB drives?

Is the sweet spot like a Saab but with a Turbo Diesel?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:26 pm Is driving a nice car now worse or better than crying?

I have to keep up with the metrics that matter - I'm told TTT or Sack % doesn't matter - So what is the rating system for Car QB drives?

Is the sweet spot like a Saab but with a Turbo Diesel?
Context matters ;)
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:39 pm
Similar timing to last year, I’d expect us to know one way or another by then - makes sense. I really have no idea what he’s gonna do. I know the draftniks have spun themselves up since the end of the season, making it seem like the move is inevitable, but I’m not so sure. I still have it as 50/50.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:09 am
Similar timing to last year, I’d expect us to know one way or another by then - makes sense. I really have no idea what he’s gonna do. I know the draftniks have spun themselves up since the end of the season, making it seem like the move is inevitable, but I’m not so sure. I still have it as 50/50.
Nobody really knows at this point and the waiting is going to be quite annoying (for me as a fan, anyway).

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

My prediction is that between now and the draft Ryan Poles will either trade the 1 pick or he won't.

Let's see if I'm right.

Am I qualified to be a Twitter / X Influencer now?

G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:41 am
My prediction is that between now and the draft Ryan Poles will either trade the 1 pick or he won't.

Let's see if I'm right.

Am I qualified to be a Twitter / X Influencer now?
Not with THAT face :lol:

RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:09 am
It makes sense for a team that wants Fields to want him earlier in the process

I think its more like 80%+ Fields is gone though. Granted - that's only speculation
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would bet that if anyone comes in with a 3rd round or better offer and he is gone in a heartbeat, the closer we get to the draft, the lower the offer is going to be.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Fields won’t want to miss his preferred landing spot either, once Poles decides what he’s doing.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

"Around the time of the NFL Scouting Combine or so"? I'd be surprised if it was before or during the Combine. Surely Poles and co will wait until after so they can factor in all the extra information they will glean from it?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

sports media has to be the biggest collection of lying rumor mongering degenerates on the face of the earth

"the clock is ticking" ..... oooooooohhhhhh ... sounds so dramatic ... screams CLICK HERE - CLICK HERE so you can read someone else's random guess he/she/it just pulled from their ass ... establishing alleged critical deadlines that simply do not exist or making stuff up that seems to indicate it is coming from the team ... all bullshit

I would like for sports reporters to get back to doing just that - reporting ... which means doing a little research and knowing what you're talking about before gracing us with your take ... and for most of them, they do not understand the difference between an editorial, where one is giving their opinion/recommendations about events, and an actual report that provides the actual facts about those events ... which is unfortunate as it ends up limiting the places you can go to get real information not clouded in hazes of speculation

as for the actual fate of Fields, I know what I would like to happen, but have no idea what will happen ... one thing I am sure of is that the Bears are in a good position to improve themselves which is good news, but then that is somewhat muted by the cynic in me that wants to pop popcorn and sit back to see how the team will manage to screw it all up
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IotaNet
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:18 pm I would like for sports reporters to get back to doing just that - reporting ... which means doing a little research and knowing what you're talking about before gracing us with your take ... and for most of them, they do not understand the difference between an editorial, where one is giving their opinion/recommendations about events, and an actual report that provides the actual facts about those events ... which is unfortunate as it ends up limiting the places you can go to get real information not clouded in hazes of speculation
Unfortunately, that not what they get paid for today. There are so many “news” outlets and platforms that it’s all about generating clicks and capturing eyeballs.

As a journalism degree holder, it pains me to no end to have to swim through the cesspool of the internet just to find some responsible writing and reporting. The sad part is that the economics of publishing are pushing respected entities - like Sports Illustrated - out of business.