Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:47 am He's definitely not there yet as a passer. I'm not sure if there's anyone on the board that would say otherwise, maybe I'm wrong about that. I think the board chasm is based on how far away people think he is, and whether he's on track or not. I strongly believe that he over achieved given his circumstances - the "given his circumstances" being the key point. His circumstances were absolutely dismal, and that severely skews his stats. So any "stat" view purely of his passing numbers is so immaterial to me I simply wave it off as nonsense. I don't care how many sub 200 yard games he had, I value that particular stat about as much as I value a kick in the nuts. It's so devoid of context that it gives the appearance to many, myself included, that it's being used to slander him unnecessarily.

So when looking at him and where he needs to go next, I think everyone here agrees he needs to take the next step as a passer. And I think everyone here agrees that in order for that to happen, multiple things need to occur:

1. He needs to improve his own read/recognition/timing and "throw guys open" / with anticipation more. That's all on JF1.
2. He needs better WR's who can get open more consistently
3. He needs a OL that can pass protect better than a Pee Wee league team

Final point: Even if all of these things happen, Fields pure passing stats will likely still be dampened when viewed against his pass happy peers. This will be a simple function of the fact that Getsy believes in a run first attack plan. Fields will have less pass attempts and more rush attempts than guys like Mahomes or Herbert. Comparing his passing numbers to guys like that will never line up properly and will always require more insight than a pure statistical view.
Yep to all this. I think some of the potential disagreement comes down to nuances in definition. I see a difference between "results as a passer" and "abilities as a passer".

I think 2 and 3 above here are absolutely true and are big reasons why JF1 hasn't been able to consistently demonstrate his full capabilities as a passer. And then also a lot is still on him. There's no question he's still early in learning mode on reading defenses and anticipation (and trust) of his targets. But at the same time I DO think he's demonstrated the passer he IS skill-wise and CAN BE more consistently. Why is this distinction important? I think he's put it on tape sufficiently and broadly enough to dismiss "accidental good plays" (lol) and fear about what he is. So if someone asks me "is he there as a passer?" my answer is yes. But he needs help and reps to realize consistency and get the results we need and he is clearly (IMO anyway) capable of delivering.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:47 am

Final point: Even if all of these things happen, Fields pure passing stats will likely still be dampened when viewed against his pass happy peers. This will be a simple function of the fact that Getsy believes in a run first attack plan. Fields will have less pass attempts and more rush attempts than guys like Mahomes or Herbert. Comparing his passing numbers to guys like that will never line up properly and will always require more insight than a pure statistical view.
I do like when a person lets you know they are absolutely gonna move the goalposts on an argument ahead of time.

Lets you know what you are in store for

TO me - The running needs to be a great side dish - not the main course
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth, the Bears' former head coach had this to say about Fields this week:
‘‘We knew that was our future, and we wanted to handle him and do everything we possibly could to make sure he succeeded,’’ Nagy said. ‘‘Scheme, how we handled practices, everything,’’

Nagy, however, began the 2021 season with Andy Dalton as the starter. Fields fell apart in Game 3 — his first career start — when he was sacked nine times by the Browns. By the end of the next week, Nagy had given up play-calling duties.

‘‘It’s not what we wanted for Justin,’’ he said. ‘‘The last thing you want is to hurt somebody’s confidence, a young quarterback, like we did that game. No one wants that for anybody. We needed to learn from that and be able to change some things in how we handled him.

‘‘You end up running out of time.’’

Nagy said he and Pace were ‘‘all-in on drafting Justin’’ and had a development plan to play to his strengths.

‘‘It’s hard to do that right away, in months in summer in one year,’’ he said.

Nagy didn’t get a second summer. But he didn’t stop paying attention to Fields this season, when he came close to breaking the NFL rushing record for a quarterback. Asked whether Fields one day could reach a Super Bowl, Nagy said ‘‘without a doubt’’ he could.

‘‘I was so proud of the way that he moved this year as a quarterback,’’ he said. ‘‘A lot of credit to their coaches and what they do with him, the schemes that they put around him.

‘‘He’s one helluva player. He has a bright future in Chicago. I’m proud of him. . . . He’s going to keep growing.’’

Fields is coming off his third new scheme in as many years.

‘‘He was a rookie again this year,’’ Nagy said. ‘‘He learned a whole new offense. It’s going to take time. He’s got all the tools. He has a great future ahead of him. He’s very talented.’’

He has the right study habits, too.

‘‘To do what he did from his rookie year to this past year, it’s only going to get better for him,’’ Nagy said. ‘‘He is wired the right way. I got to see him firsthand how he studies, how he practices, his passion for the game. He hates to lose.’’

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... e-stronger
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Dick Butkus's opinion on Nagy's efforts with Fields:
Butkus said the quarterback “is going to be all right” — and then ripped the way he was handled by Matt Nagy and his staff as a rookie.

“That first year, I thought the coaching of him was terrible,” he said. “I said, ‘How is it that when he comes off the sideline and goes to the bench he takes his helmet off and puts on a baseball hat?’ If you watch Aaron Rodgers and Pat Mahomes and Tom Brady, when they get on the sidelines they’ve got the iPad and a coach right there.

“Where was that his rookie year? That group he was in there that rookie year, they didn’t coach him one iota, I don’t believe. So he’s moving along now.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... tin-fields
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Oh, and it's official; Fields is already the 9th best player in the league! :D
Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes was named league MVP for the second time... Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts finished second in voting, receiving one first-place vote. Bears quarterback Justin Fields was one of eight players to receive one fifth-place vote — meaning he was tied for ninth in voting.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... place-vote
dplank
Hall of Famer

A Bears QB got an MVP vote? Never thought I’d see it! Just wait until he has a proper surrounding cast!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:44 am A Bears QB got an MVP vote? Never thought I’d see it! Just wait until he has a proper surrounding cast!
I doubt the apologists will ever say he has a proper surrounding cast - If you get a OL like Philly - Best in the league, one of the better ones of recent memory - it gets called "Highly functional"

Plus if Fields is making the mistakes - that gets put on the surrounding cast by that crowd no matter what. It's a zero sum game in that respect. If Kmet is open and Fields doesn't throw it to him - They will just say "Well look at Kmets lack of numbers!"

If we bring in a guy who is perfectly cromulent - though way overpaid - looking in Mike McGlinchey's direction.

He will probably be the same guys he's always been - which is a respectable RT in today's NFL. Probably (almost certainly) get a sub 70 PFF rating in Pass Pro.

And he will magically transform into the WORST RT OF ALL TIME. PeeWee Football, only wearing Roller Skates, Suckiest suck to ever suck

All while Fields TTT is bottom 5 and no way that contributes to anything! Math and advanced metrics are just more conspiracies against the Bears!!!!!

Welcome to the full season of Apologists posts - Sorry the trailer gave away all the spoilers
dplank
Hall of Famer

I couldn't have made a more vanilla post than that one, but trolls gonna troll.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

You aren't the only apologist - you just post the most on it.

But that was for all the apologists - but glad you feel special
dplank
Hall of Famer

Is that why you quoted me on the response? Lol.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:02 am
dplank wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:44 am A Bears QB got an MVP vote? Never thought I’d see it! Just wait until he has a proper surrounding cast!
I doubt the apologists will ever say he has a proper surrounding cast - If you get a OL like Philly - Best in the league, one of the better ones of recent memory - it gets called "Highly functional"

Plus if Fields is making the mistakes - that gets put on the surrounding cast by that crowd no matter what. It's a zero sum game in that respect. If Kmet is open and Fields doesn't throw it to him - They will just say "Well look at Kmets lack of numbers!"

If we bring in a guy who is perfectly cromulent - though way overpaid - looking in Mike McGlinchey's direction.

He will probably be the same guys he's always been - which is a respectable RT in today's NFL. Probably (almost certainly) get a sub 70 PFF rating in Pass Pro.

And he will magically transform into the WORST RT OF ALL TIME. PeeWee Football, only wearing Roller Skates, Suckiest suck to ever suck

All while Fields TTT is bottom 5 and no way that contributes to anything! Math and advanced metrics are just more conspiracies against the Bears!!!!!

Welcome to the full season of Apologists posts - Sorry the trailer gave away all the spoilers
Spot on RichH, this is tremendous stuff :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:20 am
RichH55 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:02 am

Welcome - I know you are chomping at the bit (wondering if I have ever spelled that correctly)

I'm actually looking forward to real additional progress from Fields anyway - So maybe the apologists won't have to work so darn hard!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

In the 'for what it's worth' department, here are 2nd year stats for Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields:

Hurts:
3,144 passing yards
16 touchdowns
9 interceptions
Completion percentage: 61.3%
Touchdown percentage of 3.7%
Yards per attempt: 7.3
784 rushing yards
10 rushing touchdowns
3,928 total yards
26 total touchdowns

Fields:
2,242 passing yards
17 passing touchdowns
11 interceptions
Completion percentage: 60.4%
Touchdown percentage: 5.3%
Yards per attempt: 7.1
1,143 rushing yards
8 rushing touchdowns
3,385 total yards
25 total touchdowns
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:25 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:20 am

Welcome - I know you are chomping at the bit (wondering if I have ever spelled that correctly)

I'm actually looking forward to real additional progress from Fields anyway - So maybe the apologists won't have to work so darn hard!
Fields is going to end up in the HoF :thumbsup:

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:01 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:25 am

Yeah - but I mean they let Roquon in there and he is still an active player - its not the honor it was;)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:50 am In the 'for what it's worth' department, here are 2nd year stats for Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields:

Hurts:
3,144 passing yards
16 touchdowns
9 interceptions
784 rushing yards
10 rushing touchdowns
3,928 total yards
26 total touchdowns

Fields:
2,242 passing yards
17 passing touchdowns
11 interceptions
1,143 rushing yards
8 rushing touchdowns
3,385 total yards
25 total touchdowns
Any chance those numbers can be adjusted for the quality of the supporting cast?

If so, JF1 annihilates Hurts.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:50 am In the 'for what it's worth' department, here are 2nd year stats for Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields:

Hurts:
3,144 passing yards
16 touchdowns
9 interceptions
784 rushing yards
10 rushing touchdowns
3,928 total yards
26 total touchdowns

Fields:
2,242 passing yards
17 passing touchdowns
11 interceptions
1,143 rushing yards
8 rushing touchdowns
3,385 total yards
25 total touchdowns
Interesting, thanks! I think JF1 is right on schedule. We just need to get him some help and I see a big year coming up in 23!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:26 pm

Hurts:
3,144 passing yards
16 touchdowns
9 interceptions
784 rushing yards
10 rushing touchdowns
3,928 total yards
26 total touchdowns

Fields:
2,242 passing yards
17 passing touchdowns
11 interceptions
1,143 rushing yards
8 rushing touchdowns
3,385 total yards
25 total touchdowns
Any chance those numbers can be adjusted for the quality of the supporting cast?

If so, JF1 annihilates Hurts.
:lol: :clap:

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Fields and Hurts' Year 1 and Year 2 numbers are fairly similar.

They both made solid steps up in Year 2.
Hurts made a huge leap in Year 3.

Fields very well could, too.
However, the extreme confidence some people have that it will happen is purely Homer Nonsense.
Lots of QBs don't make that next step. Highly drafted ones. College successful ones. Athletic ones. Hard-working ones.
Really. It's not guaranteed. It's a decent, reasonable possibility.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:45 pm Fields and Hurts' Year 1 and Year 2 numbers are fairly similar.

However, the extreme confidence some people have that it will happen is purely Homer Nonsense.
Lots of QBs don't make that next step. Highly drafted ones. College successful ones. Athletic ones. Hard-working ones.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:45 pm Fields and Hurts' Year 1 and Year 2 numbers are fairly similar.

Yes.

You can believe Fields will make that step — which I do — and still acknowledge that it might not happen.

Both these concepts can co-exist.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:10 pm

Yes.

You can believe Fields will make that step — which I do — and still acknowledge that it might not happen.

Both these concepts can co-exist.
I'd like to believe that 99% of the board follows this.
IE
Hall of Famer

Confidence in the form of optimism with a basis in sample/example and context is not pure homer nonsense any more than a recognition it might not come to fruition makes someone a hater. The confidence is simply optimism based on circumstantial evidence. Neither (confidence or lack of confidence) are factual and neither cost anything to possess. There are no reputations at risk - it just comes down to personal tendency to adopt a positive or negative posture.

Personally I'd rather be viewed as optimistic and willing to risk being wrong than as someone who feels they need to always hedge to protect a reputation that really only resides in their own head. But that's just me.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:48 pm Confidence in the form of optimism with a basis in sample/example and context is not pure homer nonsense any more than a recognition it might not come to fruition makes someone a hater. The confidence is simply optimism based on circumstantial evidence. Neither (confidence or lack of confidence) are factual and neither cost anything to possess. There are no reputations at risk - it just comes down to personal tendency to adopt a positive or negative posture.

Personally I'd rather be viewed as optimistic and willing to risk being wrong than as someone who feels they need to always hedge to protect a reputation that really only resides in their own head. But that's just me.
Yeah, I understand that I tend to be a little overly pragmatic at times...but my entire workday is spent managing expectations, so it's hard to turn that switch off sometimes. Underpromising is baked into my DNA at this point.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:53 pm
IE wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:48 pm Confidence in the form of optimism with a basis in sample/example and context is not pure homer nonsense any more than a recognition it might not come to fruition makes someone a hater. The confidence is simply optimism based on circumstantial evidence. Neither (confidence or lack of confidence) are factual and neither cost anything to possess. There are no reputations at risk - it just comes down to personal tendency to adopt a positive or negative posture.

Yeah, I understand that I tend to be a little overly pragmatic at times...but my entire workday is spent managing expectations, so it's hard to turn that switch off sometimes. Underpromising is baked into my DNA at this point.
LOL same. However at work I'm relentless about scope and risk because unlike with football board opinions there are millions at stake.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

There’s no homer bullshit to this at all.

The simple fact is that JF1 is The One. Neo. Luke Skywalker. Rocky Balboa. Take your pick.

The man has done some amazing shit on the football field that we have never seen a Bears QB do ever.

The numbers don’t lie. Our eyes don’t lie when we watch the games.

JF1 is for real. That doesn’t make me an apologist (not saying you called me that), a homer or anything else.

It’s reality. JF1 has every single tool you’d ever want a QB to have.

He just needs a supporting cast, but that’s too hard for some people to understand so they climb up his ass about how long he holds his balls, his feet, or whatever the YouTuber Of The Week has to say.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:12 pm The simple fact is that JF1 is The One. Neo. Luke Skywalker. Rocky Balboa. Take your pick.

Chesney Hawkes :thumbsup:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:45 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:12 pm The simple fact is that JF1 is The One. Neo. Luke Skywalker. Rocky Balboa. Take your pick.

I literally have no idea who that is, but if our British brothers on this board have heroes then by all means make the analogy.

:)
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:54 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:45 pm

I literally have no idea who that is, but if our British brothers on this board have heroes then by all means make the analogy.

:)
He’s a one hit wonder who now lives in LA.

Nice guy though, I’ve met him, Mrs DD has a bit of a crush on him :-x

but his song is a proper bit of early 90’s cheese.

Last edited by Ditka’s dictaphone on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otis
Pro Bowler

RichH55 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:06 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:01 pm

Yeah - but I mean they let Roquon in there and he is still an active player - its not the honor it was;)
thats pretty funny