Washington Nationals also sellers at trade deadline

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Washington Nationals have been an erratic team since their World Series title a couple years back ... this is the first time in a long while they have been sellers at the trade deadline rather than buyers

a few of their moves :

* closer Brad Hand sent to the Blue Jays
* outfielder Kyle Schwarber sent to the Red Sox
* RHP Max Scherzer and SS Trey Turner sent to the Dodgers
* relief pitcher Daniel Hudson sent to the Padres

in return, the Nationals have received a boatload of prospects, the most notable being those received from the Dodgers

since I live in the area I have naturally followed the Nationals over the years ... this is the first purge and rebuild I've seen them undertake

a side note regarding Scherzer - he has really established himself in the DC area with charitable ventures and his family ... he came to the Nationals with his wife, and they have since had 3 children over the past 7 years and are well established in the community ... and as he goes to the Dodgers as a rental for the remainder of 2021, his wife and 3 children remain in their current home ... it has been discussed, but not verified, that the reason Scherzer willingly waived his no-trade is that at the end of the season, when he is a free agent, the Nationals will bring him back ... again, there is no official statement regarding this, but all circumstantial evidence sort of leads that direction

and it wouldn't be a bad move to bring back their well established ace to mix back into the flow of the now young rebuilding team ... he would not only be their #1 pitcher once again, but would be the established winning veteran presence all young teams sort of need to help guide them along the way

so I'm calling it first - Max Scherzer will be back with the Nationals in 2022 to finish out his career and raise his family
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Nationals also traded

* pitcher Jon Lester to the Cardinals
* catcher Yan Gomes to the A's
* high end utility man Josh Harrison to the A's

Harrison has been extremely productive and has played a variety of positions while hitting very well ... the A's will be very pleased if he simply continues what he was doing with the Nationals
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mike Rizzo says Nationals are open to Max Scherzer reunion
Max Scherzer's incredible seven-year tenure with the Washington Nationals came to a close in late July when he and All-Star shortstop Trea Turner were traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers. At the time, the Nationals were limping towards the trade deadline. Trading Scherzer, who's in the final year of his contract, became inevitable.

However, Scherzer is set to be a free agent this winter. And Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo is not ruling out a reunion with the three-time Cy Young winner.

"Never say never," Rizzo said on the Sports Junkies when asked if Scherzer would return to the Nats.

If Scherzer were to return to the Nationals, it wouldn't be the first time a team traded one of its stars in the final year of his contract, only to re-sign him the following winter. We saw the New York Yankees do such with Aroldis Chapman, whom they traded to the Cubs in 2016 at the deadline in a package focused around Gleyber Torres. After winning the title with Chicago, Chapman returned to the Yankees that winter.

I know Scherzer built some serious ties to the DC and Northern VA area, and it would not surprise me a bit if he is back with the Nats
George Carlin