The Hunting & Fishing Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
MVP

Man I haven't turkey hunted in several years since I started my own business. But I still remember my last two hunts:

1. Was blanked all month and couldn't draw a turkey to me to save my life. I would sit there and call, the Tom would answer all morning but never come near my blind. I changed spots, tried stalking a few times, but the stinking thing just stayed away. Last day of the season, I just walked to the edge of the field, sat down on a blown down tree in the hedgerow and did a couple warbles. A tom answered pretty quick and then again closer and again. I could hear this thing running through the thick brush coming my way. I never did another call and within 3-4 minutes it was right in front of me for an easy shot.

2. My dad was watching a small flock of turkeys all spring and they were roosting in 2 particular trees. He set up a blind one night and they weren't spooked by it at all and kept roosting in the same trees. I drove down to his house, crashed on the sofa. We got up at 5, had a quick breakfast and hoofed it to the blind in the dark. A few minutes before legal shooting time, I gave a single warble and I had 4-5 answers right away. 3 big toms and a few hens came crashing down into the woods around us and I whispered to my dad to get ready to shoot. I shot and dropped one, and didn't hear anything from my dad. I looked over at him and in his excitement to get up and out that morning didn't load his gun. He was looking so forlorn that I busted out laughing. After all the scouting he did, I ended up giving him my turkey. But every time we were going somewhere after that, I would rub it in by asking: "Forget anything?" And he would always know what I was talking about!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:15 pm First limit of walleye on open water for the year Friday right at dark. 15-17” eaters casting from shore about a mile from the house that took about 45 minutes to get. Weeded through a lot of dinks to do it but was fun.
The bass woke up two weeks ago and now all is right with the world.

Took the day off today and went out for a few hours early this morning. 13 bass and 2 perch. All on shiners.
Image Image
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:36 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:15 pm First limit of walleye on open water for the year Friday right at dark. 15-17” eaters casting from shore about a mile from the house that took about 45 minutes to get. Weeded through a lot of dinks to do it but was fun.
The bass woke up two weeks ago and now all is right with the world.

Took the day off today and went out for a few hours early this morning. 13 bass and 2 perch. All on shiners.
Storms every couple of days is hindering us now, and we went from a drought to flooding in about 2 weeks worth of time.