Best Concert and Regrets

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Saw Tedeschi Trucks band last night. Helluva show. Recommend it to anyone. The musicianship in that band is unbelievable. Susan Tedeschi got to jam a little bit more on the guitar. Derek Trucks is a slide guitar master. Musically, probably one of the top 3 shows I have ever attended.
Xee
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:35 pm Saw Tedeschi Trucks band last night. Helluva show. Recommend it to anyone. The musicianship in that band is unbelievable. Susan Tedeschi got to jam a little bit more on the guitar. Derek Trucks is a slide guitar master. Musically, probably one of the top 3 shows I have ever attended.
Oh man, just checked and saw that they're going to be in Chicago on Friday and Saturday. Not going to be able to make it but I definitely want to see Derek Trucks some day. Watching him is probably the closest experience I'd get to what it must have been like to see Duane play back in the day. Oh well, maybe next year.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

@Xee I agree. You hear so much of Allman in Trucks' playing. The guy, the entire effin band, is amazing. People were asking me, "what type of music to they play?" Hell it is hard to describe at times - soul, rock, R&B, blues, gospel. My bucket list thing is to see them at Red Rocks in Colorado. They play there every summer. They have two dates in late July and one is already sold out. Not possible this year.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:35 pm Saw Tedeschi Trucks band last night. Helluva show. Recommend it to anyone. The musicianship in that band is unbelievable. Susan Tedeschi got to jam a little bit more on the guitar. Derek Trucks is a slide guitar master. Musically, probably one of the top 3 shows I have ever attended.
Wow, incredibly good band, I'd love to see them. Glad you had the chance. Saw they're in Philly this upcoming summer, might just be going.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer at the Illini basketball arena (great acoustically) back in '74. They didn't allow smoking so all these ancient Andy Frain users wearing ear phones to block the music were constantly going up to folk and telling them to extinguish their "cigarette". Moody Blues, surprised me because I had thought they were only a studio band but great live. Yes with the original band. Rick Wakeman solo. Rare Earth. Koko Taylor every time I was able to see her and the Blues Machine in a bar. Asleep At The Wheel, who opened for Waylon Jennings and blew the doors off the auditorium while Waylon sounded exactly the same as an album.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Glad I got to see Koko. It was a couple of years before she died. Saw her outside at a Blues fest. she was awesome. I am a big fan. I saw Asleep At The Wheel open for Charlie Daniels. Good thing I was high or not sure what I would have thought about them.

Used to sit around a buddie's house and listen to Yes as we toked up. Steve Howe pretty underrated in my book.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

A shout out to one of all-time favorite bands who don't get a lot of publicity anymore: Jethro Tull. Firstly, they're named after a 17th/18th century Agricultural Scientist who invented the seed drill (I have a Masters in Ag so this is a selling point). Few bands put out 2 albums in a row that were as spectacular as Aqualung and Thick As A Brick. I'll always regret missing them in the early '70s, they played Aqualung and then did Thick As A Brick as their encore. And they featured Martin Barre, one of my understated excellent guitar guys. Check him out at about 4:00 in 'Aqualung':

One of my favorite Tull songs, totally irreverent:

They're touring Europe in '22. Cancelled their Kiev concert on April 8 but will be playing the rest of the continent through fall. Martin Barre isn't in the band anymore, he formed his own group.
Xee
Site Admin

Man, that brings back memories. I remember, as a kid, laying on my uncle's bed (his bedroom had an awesome sound system) listening to Thick as a Brick while reading the CD liner notes about Little Milton. This was before the internet was really a thing and I was fascinated by the story of this child prodigy. haha
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Paul Weller's album 'Days of Speed' is terrific and I really wish I'd got to see him when he was doing his acoustic tour. For the most part it was just one man with a guitar sitting on a small stage in an intimate venue producing beautiful music - sheer magic.

Known as 'The Modfather' Weller's something of a legend in the UK having been a member of The Jam and The Style Council as well as a solo performer and a huge influence on bands like Oasis, but I'm not sure how well known he is in the States. If you've not heard him before (or if you have!) I thoroughly recommend spending an hour listening to this:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:51 pm Man, that brings back memories. I remember, as a kid, laying on my uncle's bed (his bedroom had an awesome sound system) listening to Thick as a Brick while reading the CD liner notes about Little Milton. This was before the internet was really a thing and I was fascinated by the story of this child prodigy. haha
Snort, chortle, dirty chuckle, let me guess, he was a bachelor and had one of the early waterbeds....Sorry, couldn't resist.
Xee
Site Admin

Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:45 am
Xee wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:51 pm Man, that brings back memories. I remember, as a kid, laying on my uncle's bed (his bedroom had an awesome sound system) listening to Thick as a Brick while reading the CD liner notes about Little Milton. This was before the internet was really a thing and I was fascinated by the story of this child prodigy. haha
Snort, chortle, dirty chuckle, let me guess, he was a bachelor and had one of the early waterbeds....Sorry, couldn't resist.
Correct on both accounts! haha He was the "cool" uncle who always bought me and my brothers pizza for dinner, had a motorcycle, took us camping, shooting, fishing, and generally just spoiled us.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:57 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:45 am

Correct on both accounts! haha He was the "cool" uncle who always bought me and my brothers pizza for dinner, had a motorcycle, took us camping, shooting, fishing, and generally just spoiled us.
Mine was a cool cousin, the oldest of us all. Had a motorcycle he take us for rides on and a huge pile of Playboys under his bed that he left after going away to college.
otis
Pro Bowler

i saw the dead in 90 but was too stoned to tell if it was a good concert. the special effects were kinda crazy. :? the stones played in montana in 2012, that was pretty good. alice cooper was a really fun concert. i think the best concert i went to was ike reilly assasination. 500 people in a bar, never heard of him before, scored free tic. it took about 1 minute before i started to the dance floor and stayed there for the next two hours. bought his sparkle in the finish album on the way out the door. hope to see him again someday.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’ve seen the Cure several times now but Is have to say my favourite concert was when I went with my wife to watch their 40th anniversary Outdoor gig at Hyde Park London in July 2018. It was a full day gig with some good performances by other bands - Interpol, Editors, Goldfrapp. The weather was baking hot (for UK). Everyone was on top form, England were playing and winning in the football(soccer) World Cup so news of that kept filtering through.
Then as the sun started to go down the Cure came on and did an incredible set playing for hours on end.

What made it really special for me is purely by chance I met up with a dear friend who I had long since lost touch with. He was dying and he lasted until Boxing Day that year. It was meant to be, such a special day. R.I.P. Jim :thumbsup:

Here’s a couple of ‘Poppy Cure’ songs they played whilst the sun was up. Robert looked like he was enjoying it, even though he complained he was going to melt. :lol:

and for those who like post punk Cure - their prophetic classic

I regret not seeing them in their pomp at Glastonbury - they rocked :headbang:

Last edited by Ditka’s dictaphone on Sun May 08, 2022 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Another special concert I went to was when I went to see Fleetwood Mac (rumours line up) with my sister (her favourite band).

She died a few years ago and this is the most special moments we shared as adults.

This was her favourite song, we played this and “Everywhere” at her funeral.

(Skip to 1.06)
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:41 pm Glad I got to see Koko. It was a couple of years before she died. Saw her outside at a Blues fest. she was awesome. I am a big fan. I saw Asleep At The Wheel open for Charlie Daniels. Good thing I was high or not sure what I would have thought about them.

Used to sit around a buddie's house and listen to Yes as we toked up. Steve Howe pretty underrated in my book.
Saw her and the band in Chicago blues bars a bunch of time, always a great time. When I was an undergrad at Iowa State, they actually played there in a really small venue. I think there were about 6 of us in the audience.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

otis wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:14 am i saw the dead in 90 but was too stoned to tell if it was a good concert. the special effects were kinda crazy. :? the stones played in montana in 2012, that was pretty good. alice cooper was a really fun concert. i think the best concert i went to was ike reilly assasination. 500 people in a bar, never heard of him before, scored free tic. it took about 1 minute before i started to the dance floor and stayed there for the next two hours. bought his sparkle in the finish album on the way out the door. hope to see him again someday.
Saw Deep Purple backed up by Billy Idol and this little band from Texas no one had ever heard of, ZZ Top opened the show. By the time Deep Purple riffed into those first 3 notes of 'Smoke On The Water' the copious amounts of weed assisted by a Qualude and I was waking up as the Ampitheatre lights were going up and people getting up to leave. Heard it was quite a show.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’ve seen too many to list, music is a bigger passion for me than football. Some highlights for me include the venue, I don’t like big stadium concerts nearly as much as smaller venues so when you catch a great band at a small joint it’s magic for me.

Shows I’ve seen with < 1,000 people (many < 500):

Radiohead (Pablo Honey tour) (9:30 club, the original one)
Soundgarden (Black hole sun album tour, in a gymnasium with pull out bleachers!)
Nirvana with the Breeders opening (same gym!)
Rage Against the Machine (4 times)
Smashing Pumpkins (5 times, all pre Mellincollie)
Fugazi
The Mighty Diamonds (classic roots reggae)
LCD Soundsystem (9:30 club)
Ice Cube (9:30 club)
Screaming Trees
Avett Brothers
Tool (3x)
Cypress Hill (at some ballroom in baltimore lol with Rage opening)
Dead Kennedy’s
Primus
Butthole Surfers/Stone Temple Pilots/Flaming Lips (at a local equestrian center)
The Cure (small stage in Milan)

Some bigger stadium shows include:

Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam (bitter I never saw them in a more intimate setting), The Who, Metallica, Radiohead (4x), Foo, Chili Peppers, Willie Nelson

My first ever was Ratt opening for Billy Squier 😂
Xee
Site Admin

Man, I'm very jealous right now @dplank.
karhu
Head Coach

Biggest regret: Rush, mid-'80s. Thought I was camping out for tickets with a few older guys from my block, but it turned out that they were just there to get wasted. So I did too, and passed out. Caught hell the next morning until I explained where I'd been, then my folks were just speechless that they'd raised such an idiot. The show was probably good, too.

Also: the Lee Harvey Oswald Band. Because technically, they never existed.

Best shows:

The Loud Family, with Dumptruck opening, Austin, 1997ish? Also The Loud Family opening for the Magnetic Fields in New Orleans, 1999ish?
A basement show with the Repos and a few other bands, Chicago, 2009ish? Really fun, really violent. As we were leaving, I head someone yell "Hey, wait up! I'm still picking birthday cake out of my head wound!"
Every single Jesus Lizard, Didjits, and Melvins show I've been to.
The Flaming Lips are always fun, but their Music Against Brain Degeneration tour was special.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Stormtrooper
Practice Squad

Biggest regret: Missing out on backstage pass tickets for a Metallica concert my friend had won in a contest. I was all up for it but right before the concert happened, I got sick. I guess could have manned up lol, but really didn't want to have to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

Best concert: Iron Maiden in 2012 in Charlotte. Was absolutely fantastic and just cemented for me why they are my favorite band of all time. Actually going to see them again this October in Greensboro NC, can't wait.
If my cat pisses on me one more damn time...
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Lou Reed’s ‘Rock and Roll Animal’ tour back in the ‘70s. Scorcher of a show. Absolutely amazed at all the punks that were there, many way underage, hadn’t seen people with so much facial metal till then.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Oh man @dplank ..... I had so many good times at 9:30. Korn was probably my favorite show there. I also loved popping by the Capital Ballroom to see who was playing.... lucked into a RATM show once there and a Ministry show once.

One of my favorite concerts was a childhood favorite (They Might Be Giants) I caught at a campus in Baltimore. Maybe it was the white-blotter, maybe it was the entire crowd doing a giant conga line that went around the outside of the building, but it was pretty awesome.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

For regrets, I guess it's skipping Cannibal Corpse when ever they come to town. My buddy here at work grew up with the bassist in Buffalo and always invites me to hang out with them before and after the show. Like I passed up a chance to have dinner with Cannibal Corpse....... young AZ_Bearfan would be so disappointed in adult AZ_Bearfan's decisions.
karhu
Head Coach

A correction, because I'm feeling nostalgic: the birthday-cake-in-the-head-wound show was Chronic Seizure, not the Repos. Same drummer. At the start of the show, the singer brought out a boom box and played that song "Shots" on a loop for what felt like half an hour, and just danced around until everyone in the basement wanted to tear him limb from limb. I think a few guys tried. But he kept dancing to "Shots! Shots, shots, shots, shots!" until the crowd was ready to take on the whole band, and then they launched into their set. Magnificent.

That same drummer was the lead singer/guitarist for the Mushuganas, who I saw at one of their earlier shows. A lot of Nazis were there, and the band had advance notice. So they all set up except the singer, who came on late and slow...and wearing a dashiki, love beads, long hair, a beard, and no shoes. Red meat for the skinheads, but the guy kept looming as he walked up to the mic, because he's like 6'8"/240. He walked past the mic. The skinheads blinked. The show went on, and the rest of us made their circle of death a tiny little squiggle. Fun times.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.