Should OT rules be amended?

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

A coin toss doesn't decide the game.

60+ mins of football decides the game.

Everything was fair, everyone knew the rules going in and that if they went to OT they had better win the coin flip or be prepared to make a stop.

The whole claiming its not fair because a team didn't go on offense is bullshit. Make a stop or win it in regulation.
Z Bear
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:20 pm
Z Bear wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:51 pm NHL is sudden death 5 min period, if no one scoes then they go to shootout.
Playoffs do not use the shootout though. They play put 20 minutes on the clock and play until someone scores. If no score, intermission and another 20 min period.

Playoff hockey is the shit.
Correct! As a kid growing in DC as a hockey fan I still vividly remember the 4 OT loss to the Islanders early one Easter morning.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:40 pm A coin toss doesn't decide the game.

Everything was fair, everyone knew the rules going in and that if they went to OT they had better win the coin flip or be prepared to make a stop.

The whole claiming its not fair because a team didn't go on offense is bullshit. Make a stop or win it in regulation.
While yes everyone knows the rules, the rule is still arbitrary and dumb. Struggling to think about a sport that relies on a coin toss to determine key strategic elements of a game.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:53 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:40 pm A coin toss doesn't decide the game.

While yes everyone knows the rules, the rule is still arbitrary and dumb. Struggling to think about a sport that relies on a coin toss to determine key strategic elements of a game.
NUMBER 1 = Test Cricket.

Absolutely dependant on the coin toss, then play for 5 days, weather and daylight permitting, and the end result could be a draw even though 1 team has dominated and won all 3 sessions on all 5 days.

A wonderful sport for the purists :D
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I liked the old "sudden death" rules for OT. Nothing puts you on the edge of your seat like sudden death. Shit, even the coin flips were must-see-TV.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don't like the OT rules at all.

Just let them play an extra quarter.

Keep it simple.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

No.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
dave99
Assistant Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:59 pm I don't like the OT rules at all.

Keep it simple.
That makes the most sense to me.
Both defenses were gassed but Buffalo had been on the field for 9 more minutes. Once they lost the toss they were done.
They might very well have lost anyway, but Allen needed another shot.
Funny thing, after the Reid and Mahomes seemed sympathetic to a rule change, Allen manned up and said a rule is a rule.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

How about a statistical way to earn possession in OT? Maybe a defensive stat that would lend itself to dual possessions? A safety in regulation should reward you with the KO in OT. Most sacks? Fewest first downs? Fewest total yards? Or a STs stat like most return yardage? Most 2 point conversions? It would have to be an array of statistical categories to break ties.

I don't know. Just spitballin' here. You could create some weird 4th quarter incentives. Maybe a dumb idea.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

How about, in just about every OT game ever played, the team whining about not getting a possession just limited their mistakes a little bit more and avoid OT, or maybe just play defense in OT.

OT isn't there to be fair, or to protect teams from their own dumb decisions and mistakes.

OT is there to decide a game winner outside of regular game time.

We already amended it to make sure a FG doesn't decide the game on first possession.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:30 am How about, in just about every OT game ever played, the team whining about not getting a possession just limited their mistakes a little bit more and avoid OT, or maybe just play defense in OT.

OT isn't there to be fair, or to protect teams from their own dumb decisions and mistakes.

We already amended it to make sure a FG doesn't decide the game on first possession.
The dumb part is each team could have done all those little things to avoid OT, but only one gets a coin flip chance to increase their odds.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Defense is half the game, make a stop! I like the change to allow the other team a shot if they hold them to a FG, that was a good improvement and evened things out from the coin flip. All you have to do is keep them from scoring a TD, if you can't you deserve to lose IMO.

Even in a game like that, where no one could stop the other. If you allow the other team to get the ball back after a TD it doesn't change anything - KC scores TD, Buffalo scored TD, now it's next score wins - KC still wins.

The rules change that needs to happen is evening the sport back out so it's not so driven by offense. Give the defenses a chance out there.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:35 am
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:30 am How about, in just about every OT game ever played, the team whining about not getting a possession just limited their mistakes a little bit more and avoid OT, or maybe just play defense in OT.

The dumb part is each team could have done all those little things to avoid OT, but only one gets a coin flip chance to increase their odds.
Why is that bad? Luck is a part of football just like strategy and athletic ability are. If you can't finish it in 60 minutes, then can't stop the other team, maybe then a look in the mirror is called for rather than blaming a coin flip. Sometimes in football, as in life, you are lucky. Sometimes you aren't. That's the way shit goes sometimes and there is nothing wrong with that
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:26 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:35 am

Why is that bad? Luck is a part of football just like strategy and athletic ability are. If you can't finish it in 60 minutes, then can't stop the other team, maybe then a look in the mirror is called for rather than blaming a coin flip. Sometimes in football, as in life, you are lucky. Sometimes you aren't. That's the way shit goes sometimes and there is nothing wrong with that
Yes of course luck is part of the game. The ball bounces funny. The weather plays weird effect. Guys get injured, etc etc.

We generally don't just insert random luck into the game on purpose though. Like sure luck happens naturally, but there's no reason for the reset and coin flip other than apparently someone thought of it long ago?

It's dumb and there's no good reason for it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:59 pm I don't like the OT rules at all.

Keep it simple.
I'd go for this. Forget about whether the OT rules are 'fair', who wouldn't have liked to see another 15 minutes of the Chiefs and Bills duelling it out?! If it was still tied at the end of a fifth 'quarter' then continue into a second sudden death 'quarter' with play continuing from where it ended in the first OT period. That would make things much more exciting. Just look at all the back and forth at the end of regulation in that game. OT was a damp squib by comparison as KC just marched easily down the field to end the game.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:35 am

Keep it simple.
I'd go for this. Forget about whether the OT rules are 'fair', who wouldn't have liked to see another 15 minutes of the Chiefs and Bills duelling it out?! If it was still tied at the end of a fifth 'quarter' then continue into a second sudden death 'quarter' with play continuing from where it ended in the first OT period. That would make things much more exciting. Just look at all the back and forth at the end of regulation in that game. OT was a damp squib by comparison as KC just marched easily down the field to end the game.
This is kind of just my issue, but part of the issue with continuing play into a sudden death is that it really removes a large strategic component of time. If you get the ball back with a minute remaining with 80 yards to go we get a great 1 minute offense to try and win. If you know you'll enter sudden death on a continuation of downs, the clock is no longer a factor.

The lack of clock mgmt (along with Special teams) is a big reason I hate college rules. If you're not playing a timed period anything feels like a gimmick. I generally hate anything gimmicky in OT play (for any sport). I want OT play to relocate regulation play as near as possible. And if we're going gimmick route, can it at least be something that each team has to perform equal skills or have some strategic element to it?

At least in soccer/hockey sudden deaths they are pretty free flowing possession games. There's gonna be a great deal of skill even if there is ultimately going to be some luck too.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

My final request would be to just follow the lead from XFL and do away with the coin toss altogether. Beginning of game included.

Home team chooses to receive or defer, and the KO swaps at halftime and at each OT period. As home team in the playoffs, you've earned the right to go for a strategic edge. You can play for the opportunity to get the extra second half possession by deferring, which is what most teams do today, or play for OT.

The benefit to deferring is to attempt to gain the possession edge in the 2nd half. But if you do that you'll give up the ball in OT.

Or take the ball first and guarantee that in an OT scenario you'll get first ball.

The 17 game record replacesc 50/50 luck and there is still some strategic choice involved. We kill a silly ritual of a coin toss altogether.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Play an extra period, not fair a coin flip can be the deciding factor.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:20 am
Z Bear wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 am No, the rules are fine right now. The Bills defense had several chances to stop KC in overtime and they didn't, moreso in the end of regulation. No way should you let a team drive for a FG in 13 seconds. The rules are already skewed enough for the offense, no need to change the overtime rules to give both offenses a chance. Football is a team sport and all facets of said team need to excel to be a contender.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Couldn't agree more. If that was not an epic game, the OT rule would not be discussed today.
I also couldn't agree more.

First, let me just say that I absolutely DESPISE the Collegiate system. It takes both the timing element out of the game AND completely removes Special Teams. Ask the Niners how important Special Teams are.

Second, I love what the NFL has done with the first possession TD rule. It makes for so many strategic Dilemmas. And it wasn't near as cut and dried as it seemed after the fact in overtime. For the game, the Bills held the Chiefs to two punts, a missed field goal, two field goals, and allowed four TDs (and this doesn't include the field goal at the end of regulation). This means that the Bills had a better than 50 percent chance of holding the Chiefs to a field goal. In fact, the Bills had them at a third and one at the Chiefs own 34 and allowed them to pick it up on a pass to Kelce. Imagine he dilemma the Chiefs would have faced with a fourth and one from there if the Bills had held? And if the Bills were that concerned about the Chiefs driving down, what about an onsides kick to start the overtime? Boy that would have surprised the Chiefs. Those types of unexpected onsides are a lot more successful than a regular one. I think that people want to enable more possessions in this game, simply because they want this all time classic to keep going. Hell, the might still be playing it. lol

There is one exception I'd like to make to the playoff OT rules. The ties in the regular season are fine with me. But in the playoffs I'd like to see them institute the timed 15 minute quarter so that if the teams are tied at the end of it or have equalizing field goals, the end of the fifteen minute quarter becomes like a halftime where the team that didn't receive at the beginning of the overtime receives it at the beginning of the next fifteen minutes. That would introduce more of a timed element to the Overtime and also bring in more Special Teams.

Just my thoughts.

But that Bill/Chief game was completely fair. The Bills only had to stop the Chiefs from scoring with 13 seconds left. They blew it on so many levels.Like why didn't they squib it on that kickoff? How could they let the Chiefs get two consecutive 19 yard plus plays in that time? Blew it.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

OT isn't there to be fair? I wholeheartedly disagree. The game was played 60 minutes and each team scored the same number of points. If fairness is a non-issue, why not just decide with a coin flip? Oh wait, that's pretty much what happens in the playoffs and it's why there's a national discussion of this topic.

Here's another (arguably silly) idea that the player's union will like, because it avoids injuries... If there's a tie at the end of regulation, the road team gets the win. They scored the same amount of points as the home team with the home advantage working against them. No extra play at all.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Have the OT coin toss BEFORE the game.

Then the team approaching OT who is kicking knows they need to win in regulation.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm Have the OT coin toss BEFORE the game.

Then the team approaching OT who is kicking knows they need to win in regulation.
If we're willing to change it, let's take away a pointless ceremony. At least as the playoffs are concerned if you just let the home team chose, they've at least earned that right by being the higher seeded team. Home team chooses kick, receive, or direction (get rid of pointless deferral). Away team gets the next choice. Changes at half and each OT period.

Don't know how SB chooses home team, but I guess oh well.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

More I sit on on it, the more I think it should just be a continuation OT with a relatively short period that is played to completion. Maybe as little as like 3:30 continuations. You can carry over up to 2 timeouts, and are given one new timeout at each even number OT period, up to 2 max? Clock stops at 1:00 instead of 2:00? (no TV commercial break!)

Keeps managing the clock a factor. To the credit of KC, they scored a FG with just 13 seconds at end of reg and there were multiple sub 1 minute drives by both teams! Teams have to balance managing clock and not giving their opponent time to respond. But if KC scores in 2:30, BUF still has an opportunity to respond with a minute left. That's exciting football! It doesn't guarantee a possession response and doesn't have a random coin flip determine any possession edge in sudden death. It keeps the periods long enough to possibly leave a response but short enough a skilled team can milk it. Also short enough to consider player health/fatigue and not have super long extra periods. At some point the timing of the clock plays something of a luck factor, but it's not luck that is untethered from skill and strategic inputs.

I don't know what the right numbers are as far as the length of time. I know KC took longer than that, but if you keep the period short enough they know they need to hurry up a little at least. Presents really interesting strategic decisions on each side. It's basically a constant 2 minute drill OT. Perfect.

Need a minor league system to test wacky ideas like that though.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Why not college OT rules?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:19 pm Why not college OT rules?
Ew.

No clock management. No special teams or field position strategy. Endless boutes based on "fairness" (I've said repeatedly I don't think equal possessions need to be guaranteed, but a coin flip tilting advantages is silly in the NFL still).
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:22 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:19 pm Why not college OT rules?
Ew.

No clock management. No special teams or field position strategy. Endless boutes based on "fairness" (I've said repeatedly I don't think equal possessions need to be guaranteed, but a coin flip tilting advantages is silly in the NFL still).
No ties, no endless debates about if it was fair or not.

It’s overtime, the rules makers have it out to pursue player safety. It eliminates the kickoff (most dangerous event injury wise in the sport), everyone gets the same opportunity so it’s fair. Pick a yard line to start from and have at it.

It eliminates the coin flip BS.

If you want a time limit give the possession a 2-4minutes time limit to either score or not. If you don’t score in that time limit possession switches. Want to mix it up, put a rule in that if you don’t score the other team gets or can choose to get the ball at the yard line you were at.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think I like TMP's simple plan, just play a whole extra quarter. Follow the coin flip from the opening sequence, so if I receive the ball 1st half, opponent gets is 2nd half, I then get it first in OT. It's not as important if you are playing a full quarter.

If the extra quarter ends still tied, then it ends in a tie. If it's playoffs, then I'd do the college thing as it basically acts similar to a hockey/soccer shootout. No complaints here - if you can't resolve it after 5 full quarters, I really don't care about clock management or field position strategy anymore - you had your chance for all that to matter. No it's a shootout scenario.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm I think I like TMP's simple plan, just play a whole extra quarter. Follow the coin flip from the opening sequence, so if I receive the ball 1st half, opponent gets is 2nd half, I then get it first in OT. It's not as important if you are playing a full quarter.

If the extra quarter ends still tied, then it ends in a tie. If it's playoffs, then I'd do the college thing as it basically acts similar to a hockey/soccer shootout. No complaints here - if you can't resolve it after 5 full quarters, I really don't care about clock management or field position strategy anymore - you had your chance for all that to matter. No it's a shootout scenario.
I think a shootout type scenario is going to eventually bring up issues of Player safety still, and legitimately so probably.

If we're going with the logic that a 5th Q is enough, but anything past that just needs to wrap up, then sudden death actually isn't awful. The team who gets first possession probably does still get a built in advantage in the first OT period (especially if the period isn't too long), but if the second OT the advantage flops, then at least some strategy and trade off is involved.

Like a 5-7 minute OT gives the first team a legit opportunity to just win out. But if they score and give their opponent too much time to tie it back, suddenly the tables are turned and it's true sudden death in the next period. They had their time to end it in a specific way (milk clock) and failed.

Would be intersting to see what the distribution of first score has been since the 10 minute OT. I'd think you chose that median value as perhaps the OT length.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:25 pm My final request would be to just follow the lead from XFL and do away with the coin toss altogether. Beginning of game included.

Home team chooses to receive or defer, and the KO swaps at halftime and at each OT period. As home team in the playoffs, you've earned the right to go for a strategic edge. You can play for the opportunity to get the extra second half possession by deferring, which is what most teams do today, or play for OT.

The benefit to deferring is to attempt to gain the possession edge in the 2nd half. But if you do that you'll give up the ball in OT.

Or take the ball first and guarantee that in an OT scenario you'll get first ball.

The 17 game record replacesc 50/50 luck and there is still some strategic choice involved. We kill a silly ritual of a coin toss altogether.
If we are looking the XFL, rather than a coin toss put the ball at the 50 and each teams send out three players who line up at the opposite 40 yard lines and you have an open melee and whoever gets the control of the ball first receives the kick. Maybe even let each team have one player who is allowed to use a shank.

That would get the fan's attention to watch. :love: :grovel:

I too like the one quarter OT in theory. If you do that, I kind of like the idea of the home team decides if they want to kick or receive. Home field advantage means more and if the visitors score a TD late and need an extra point to tie, they have the ability to go for 2 and avoid it.

Also, I'm talking about playoffs only. The home team "won" the advantage to decide by having the better record in the the regular season. I'm okay with the rules as is for the regular season. For those saying you shouldn't have a different rule for the playoffs - we already do. Games in the regular season can end in a tie, can't do that in the playoffs.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:43 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:25 pm My final request would be to just follow the lead from XFL and do away with the coin toss altogether. Beginning of game included.

If we are looking the XFL, rather than a coin toss put the ball at the 50 and each teams send out three players who line up at the opposite 40 yard lines and you have an open melee and whoever gets the control of the ball first receives the kick. Maybe even let each team have one player who is allowed to use a shank.

That would get the fan's attention to watch. :love: :grovel:

I too like the one quarter OT in theory. If you do that, I kind of like the idea of the home team decides if they want to kick or receive. Home field advantage means more and if the visitors score a TD late and need an extra point to tie, they have the ability to go for 2 and avoid it.

Also, I'm talking about playoffs only. The home team "won" the advantage to decide by having the better record in the the regular season. I'm okay with the rules as is for the regular season. For those saying you shouldn't have a different rule for the playoffs - we already do. Games in the regular season can end in a tie, can't do that in the playoffs.
As to XFL I was referring to the rebooted version. They ditche the coin toss altogether.

As for regular season v playoffs difference. I'm honestly okay just ending the reg season in a tie. I know ties are hated by many though.