For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bron ... ead-coach/

Precursor to getting A A Ron there?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 am https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bron ... ead-coach/

Precursor to getting A A Ron there?
I would guess so. Yes.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Stafford cost two 1sts, a 3rd, and Goff. I'd think the Pack would want something similar with maybe Drew Lock going to the Pack.

Hackett didn't call plays in GB but Denver recognized they needed tobring in an offense guy to compete.
Last edited by Grizzled on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Z Bear
MVP

Detroit could afford Stafford, GB cannot afford Rodgers so I think they have less bargaining power even though Rodgers is a better QB.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:17 am Detroit could afford Stafford, GB cannot afford Rodgers so I think they have less bargaining power even though Rodgers is a better QB.
Most "experts" who have chimed in on the Stafford trade think the second first round pick was the price Detroit demanded to take on Goff's contract. Denver doesn't have a contract like that they will be off-loading.

Plus Rodgers only has one year left contract and he will be 38 (??) during the season. I think one 1st round pick with maybe a second thrown in will be the most they should get for him. That said, if Denver thinks the trade will net them a Super Bowl, there is no telling what they may be willing to pay.

My personal hope is that Green Bays plays "hard ball" and demands 2 1st round picks plus some. All the teams in the NFL say "no thanks" and Rodgers simply "retires." That way they get nothing to try and build back the team. If he unretires after a year and picks the team he wants to go to - fine. In fact I hope that happens and he gets destroyed.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:28 am
Z Bear wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:17 am Detroit could afford Stafford, GB cannot afford Rodgers so I think they have less bargaining power even though Rodgers is a better QB.
Most "experts" who have chimed in on the Stafford trade think the second first round pick was the price Detroit demanded to take on Goff's contract. Denver doesn't have a contract like that they will be off-loading.

Plus Rodgers only has one year left contract and he will be 38 (??) during the season. I think one 1st round pick with maybe a second thrown in will be the most they should get for him. That said, if Denver thinks the trade will net them a Super Bowl, there is no telling what they may be willing to pay.

My personal hope is that Green Bays plays "hard ball" and demands 2 1st round picks plus some. All the teams in the NFL say "no thanks" and Rodgers simply "retires." That way they get nothing to try and build back the team. If he unretires after a year and picks the team he wants to go to - fine. In fact I hope that happens and he gets destroyed.

I guess I could live with that.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Apparently, in addition to 11 draft picks this year including two in the 2nd and two in the 3rd rounds thanks to the Von Miller trade, the Broncos also have the 6th most cap space heading into next season. They have everything they need to land Rodgers if they want him and hiring Hackett has to increase the chances of Rodgers heading to Denver.

Surely Rodgers would be interested given their core roster.

The defense ranked 3rd in points allowed and 8th in yards under Fangio and has strength at key positions (Chubb at Edge, Surtain and Darby at CB plus Simmons at S) and the offense is loaded with young talent:

OL: Made up of mostly young Day One and Day Two guys.
Boles - LT. 2017 1st round pick. Had major penalty issues early in career but was 2nd Team All Pro in 2020 and signed a 4 year £68m extension.
Risner - LG. 2019 2nd round pick.
Cushenberry - C. 2020 3rd round pick.
Meinerz - RG. 2021 3rd round pick.

WR: No superstars (as yet), but a strong group who are all under contract for the next 2 to 3 years who could really break out with a quality QB.
Sutton - 2018 2nd round pick. Made the Pro Bowl in 2019 and signed a 4-year $60m extension last offseason.
Patrick - 2017 UDFA. Had something of a break out season in 2020 (51 receptions for 742 yards and 6 TDs) and signed a 3 year $34.5m extension last November.
Jeudy - 2020 1st round pick with 2 years left on his rookie contract with a 5th year option.

RB: Last season they had two players who had 203 carries and over 900 yards at 4.5ypc and shared 12 TDs.
Williams - 2021 2nd round pick.
Gordon - 2015 1st round pick (Chargers). He'll be entering his 8th season and is a free agent. It will be interesting to see if they re-sign him after two productive years (2,275 yards from scrimmage and 20 TDs) with the team.

TE: A good starter and decent backup.
Fant - 2019 1st round pick. One year left on rookie contract with 5th year option. Very solid production in all three seasons to date.
Okwuegbunam - 2020 4th round pick. Two years left on rookie contract. Contributed 33 receptions for 330 yards and 2 TDs this season as the number two TE.

The Broncos are basically a QB away from being a very strong team. The only downside for them is the strength of the division they're in.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Poor Broncos, I think they were better off with fangio
Hackett isn’t getting anything more out of that offense and the defense can only get worse
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I like the scenario where the Packers get a huge haul to send Rodgers with Hackett because:

1. The Broncos are in a brutal division and the AFC in general is very tough so they may struggle even with an awesome offense
2. The Broncos defense will surely fall apart and depth could also be an issue due to the cost of the trade. I give them one good year with Rodgers
3. The Packers don't actually draft as well as people say. They will look to replace their expensive defensive stars and fail, plus Jordan Love sucks.
xyt in the discord chats
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I don't think a trade would cost that much to be honest. Rodgers is going to be 39.

How about this for an interesting scenario: The Packers franchise tag Adams and the Broncos send them their first round pick, one of their second rounders and Jeudy (and throw in Lock for good measure) for Rodgers and Adams. :)
dplank
Hall of Famer

Besides the obvious tie to the Broncos now, I wonder if just the loss of Hackett alone isn’t another nail in the coffin for Rodgers decision to stay or go. He doesn’t want a rebuild, every loss will matter and pile up
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I want to see Rogers go to the Broncos, and then watch him bitch, whine, and complain when his WR's aren't getting the ticky-tack PI calls that they got in GB. He'll be running for his life and run out of gas really fast at that altitude. Should be a lot of fun to watch. :evilgrin:
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:16 pm I want to see Rogers go to the Broncos, and then watch him bitch, whine, and complain when his WR's aren't getting the ticky-tack PI calls that they got in GB. He'll be running for his life and run out of gas really fast at that altitude. Should be a lot of fun to watch. :evilgrin:
:hungry:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

One of Rodgers worst games was at Denver... Has he ever won a game at that altitude? The records shows Error-n was 2-1 against the Broncos. Both wins at GB??
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I think it costs two first rounders + change. Maybe they'll have to send a second back or something to balance it a bit, but I think 2 firsts is a good expectation.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:53 pm I don't think a trade would cost that much to be honest. Rodgers is going to be 39.

How about this for an interesting scenario: The Packers franchise tag Adams and the Broncos send them their first round pick, one of their second rounders and Jeudy (and throw in Lock for good measure) for Rodgers and Adams. :)
This is an interesting thought, but should be noted that it's basically impossible for the Packers to franchise Adams if Rodgers doesn't restructure. Even if they maxed out every other tool.

Now maybe you get some agressive back channeling with a off the record agreement, but rumors are Rodgers would like Adams to be wherever he is, if he is gonna play. His best shot to do that is hold out and not restructure. The worst case in that scenario is both sides don't give and he just retires.