Bears WR discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I can't see a scenario where a GM is trying to build a younger roster, but signs 33yr old Julio Jones.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

We're really grasping at straws right now. The Bears are going to go with Fields, Mooney, Pringle, Christian Watson, and Kmet then say "trust the process" as they average 17 points a game again.
xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:04 pm I can't see a scenario where a GM is trying to build a younger roster, but signs 33yr old Julio Jones.
At some point I think hell grab a couple advanced age guys because the young options are thinning and they are at least 10 vets short where they need to be IMO. But yea prob not Julio.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:09 pm We're really grasping at straws right now. The Bears are going to go with Fields, Mooney, Pringle, Christian Watson, and Kmet then say "trust the process" as they average 17 points a game again.
Don't be daft crueltyabc, Nagy's gone so the Bears will average at least 3 points a game more. Eberflus won't pass up FGs every game to go for it on 4th and long! :D
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:56 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:09 pm We're really grasping at straws right now. The Bears are going to go with Fields, Mooney, Pringle, Christian Watson, and Kmet then say "trust the process" as they average 17 points a game again.
Don't be daft crueltyabc, Nagy's gone so the Bears will average at least 3 points a game more. Eberflus won't pass up FGs every game to go for it on 4th and long! :D
And then call a play which, even if successful, gains 1/2 the yards needed for the first.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:58 pm I’m very thankful we didn’t pay MVS 10M
Does anybody else find it surprising that the Chiefs let Pringle leave and then subsequently traded Hill? It strikes me that if they were even considering trading Hill and placed any value on Pringle that they would have wanted to keep him around. Instead they've parted ways with both their No 1 and No 3 WRs. It gives me reason to wonder how much upside Pringle might have.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:17 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:58 pm I’m very thankful we didn’t pay MVS 10M
Does anybody else find it surprising that the Chiefs let Pringle leave and then subsequently traded Hill? It strikes me that if they were even considering trading Hill and placed any value on Pringle that they would have wanted to keep him around. Instead they've parted ways with both their No 1 and No 3 WRs. It gives me reason to wonder how much upside Pringle might have.
Hill looks like pure cap management to me: with the best QB in the league, paying Hill $30M per would be poor resource management, especially when a guy like Mahomes should be able to elevate lesser guys.

Pringle is a bit more murky. The Bears paid him more than the Chiefs paid JuJu Smith-Shuster, so it could just be a case of pure dollars, I dunno. Pringle was a 25 yr old rookie, so there's that too. By all accounts a great guy to have in the locker room, too, and I believe that was important to the Bears.

I was interested in Russell Gage, but not at $10M per. I didn't particularly want MVS or DJ Chark, and am content that the Bears aren't paying either one $10M too. I might have been in on Cedrick Wilson Jr at his $7.4M price tag, but he's about the only one I am disappointed the Bears didn't get at what they got paid. Maybe Zach Pascal, though we don't know what he signed for in Philly just yet. Looks like Keelan Cole isn't signed yet; I'd be happy to land that fish.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:02 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:17 pm

Pringle is a bit more murky. The Bears paid him more than the Chiefs paid JuJu Smith-Shuster, so it could just be a case of pure dollars, I dunno. Pringle was a 25 yr old rookie, so there's that too. By all accounts a great guy to have in the locker room, too, and I believe that was important to the Bears.
Pretty sure JuJu is getting more than Pringle (like 10 v 6).

And there is an element of timing - Hill was still there (though moving him had to be on the Chiefs radar you'd think) - But is is interesting that Chiefs let him go all things considered

That just bummed me out
thunderspirit
Head Coach

OTC has the JSS contract at $3.25M APY.

They could be wrong, of course.
KFFL refugee.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:34 am OTC has the JSS contract at $3.25M APY.

Initial reports were 10 million or so.....but looks like the devil in in details - Low base, lots of incentives - not crazy ones - but yeah - thats a huge gap in floor v. ceiling in contract

https://sportsnaut.com/juju-smith-schus ... ives-2022/
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:56 am
thunderspirit wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:34 am OTC has the JSS contract at $3.25M APY.

Initial reports were 10 million or so.....but looks like the devil in in details - Low base, lots of incentives - not crazy ones - but yeah - thats a huge gap in floor v. ceiling in contract

https://sportsnaut.com/juju-smith-schus ... ives-2022/
That makes more sense, TBH. Thanks.
KFFL refugee.

IE
Hall of Famer

The Hill contract negotiations just came to an impasse after Adams got paid. The Raiders totally undermined the Chiefs with that timing and deal, and helped themselves by effectively forcing Cheetah out of KC. Hill requested a trade, and it was certainly something they weren't planning to do up to that point. Pringle was already gone.

They also have a couple of guys coming up who would be cheaper than Pringle. I'd guess he wanted at least 8MM and at least 3 years to stay there. It is possible a team would pay him close to that but maybe he's betting on himself and coming to a place that he knows HAS to use him. I expect by later in the season he's extended 3 years for 8-10 MM per or something like that.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:02 pm The Hill contract negotiations just came to an impasse after Adams got paid. The Raiders totally undermined the Chiefs with that timing and deal, and helped themselves by effectively forcing Cheetah out of KC. Hill requested a trade, and it was certainly something they weren't planning to do up to that point. Pringle was already gone.

They also have a couple of guys coming up who would be cheaper than Pringle. I'd guess he wanted at least 8MM and at least 3 years to stay there. It is possible a team would pay him close to that but maybe he's betting on himself and coming to a place that he knows HAS to use him. I expect by later in the season he's extended 3 years for 8-10 MM per or something like that.
It still worries me nonetheless.

They probably at least had an inkling that Hill was going to be an issue to resign - I doubt talks didn't start until Adams was dealt (and took less money). And at the least they should have known the ballpark - i.e. it was going to be a big number

Hardman is a FA after the season. And they signed Juju - So it wasn't like they didn't want a WR.

And if a guy is going to be on himself - Would he choose New team, Fields, Defensive HC over Andy Reid, Patrick Maholmes, and a playbook he already knows?

Counter-point to that : If he thinks Hill is going to stay for a year - and KC has Hill and Kelce - then maybe he just foresaw more targets in Chicago and a team that wasn't going to give a WR 25+ million potentially

I want to believe the rosier scenario - I just have concerns

Either way - the floor is still a competent professional WR
IE
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:17 pm
IE wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:02 pm The Hill contract negotiations just came to an impasse after Adams got paid. The Raiders totally undermined the Chiefs with that timing and deal, and helped themselves by effectively forcing Cheetah out of KC. Hill requested a trade, and it was certainly something they weren't planning to do up to that point. Pringle was already gone.

They probably at least had an inkling that Hill was going to be an issue to resign - I doubt talks didn't start until Adams was dealt (and took less money). And at the least they should have known the ballpark - i.e. it was going to be a big number

Hardman is a FA after the season. And they signed Juju - So it wasn't like they didn't want a WR.

And if a guy is going to be on himself - Would he choose New team, Fields, Defensive HC over Andy Reid, Patrick Maholmes, and a playbook he already knows?

Counter-point to that : If he thinks Hill is going to stay for a year - and KC has Hill and Kelce - then maybe he just foresaw more targets in Chicago and a team that wasn't going to give a WR 25+ million potentially

Sure they were talking for a long time, but the Adams rate was new. However close they were you know Cheetah changed his demands when he saw Adams' deal. I do think Pringle saw a better (more sure opportunities) in Chicago and thought he wasn't going to get his big payday there. I like the guy and thought he'd be a good fit for JF1 and would be especially attractive FA for Poles (if he liked him, and apparently he does). But I also expected another guy (e.g. Wilson or Chark) to be signed. So Poles is doing the kind of things I thought but even more extreme in terms of not signing expensive FAs.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:01 am
RichH55 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:17 pm

Sure they were talking for a long time, but the Adams rate was new. However close they were you know Cheetah changed his demands when he saw Adams' deal. I do think Pringle saw a better (more sure opportunities) in Chicago and thought he wasn't going to get his big payday there. I like the guy and thought he'd be a good fit for JF1 and would be especially attractive FA for Poles (if he liked him, and apparently he does). But I also expected another guy (e.g. Wilson or Chark) to be signed. So Poles is doing the kind of things I thought but even more extreme in terms of not signing expensive FAs.

This supports that: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... side-down/

Makes me feel better
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Here's another WR contract I would have been happy with
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

I feel like we have enough WR4/5 types, I’m fine passing on this guy. Kinda intrigued by Dazz Newsome and want to see him get some time.

We need a WR1. Outside of a trade, they’re gone so we gotta hope we get lucky in the draft I guess.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:07 pm I feel like we have enough WR4/5 types, I’m fine passing on this guy. Kinda intrigued by Dazz Newsome and want to see him get some time.

We need a WR1. Outside of a trade, they’re gone so we gotta hope we get lucky in the draft I guess.
Hopefully they double dip at WR.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

uggghhhh, i would have welcomed devante parker (and a 5th round pick!) for a 3rd round pick.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:34 am uggghhhh, i would have welcomed devante parker (and a 5th round pick!) for a 3rd round pick.
I’d probably do that deal as well, the 3rd round pick is next years. Depends on what contract Parker comes with I suppose, cause he’s hurt a lot.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

2 years left at 6mil/year!
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:09 am 2 years left at 6mil/year!
Yea, I'd have done that deal. Seems to fit what Poles is trying to do with regards to fairly low cost guys who are starter grade (low end starter), need to prove themselves, and provide a performance floor that is acceptable and creates competition for the rookie WR we are sure to draft w/o relying on him to start Day 1. My best guess is Poles didn't like his injury history, but when the Pats do stuff it gives me pause because they're a pretty damn smart organization.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Keelan Coles for a #4. He has played on the Jags and Jets. Originally undrafted out of Kentucky Wesleyan. Decent stats for a low end starter, very good yards per catch, can get downfield. Made $5M in '21 with the Jets, I'm sure they could sign him for less.
wab
Mod

I like Cole. I also like Adam Humphries. But at this point, I'd say just get the other WR in the draft if you can.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

At this point I don't see how the Bears don't go into the season with the worst WR group in the NFL. OK maybe ATL is worse but they have Kyle Pitts at "TE" and the Calvin Ridley situation as an excuse.
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:52 pm At this point I don't see how the Bears don't go into the season with the worst WR group in the NFL. OK maybe ATL is worse but they have Kyle Pitts at "TE" and the Calvin Ridley situation as an excuse.
Man, I don't agree with that at all. Even with the draft still to happen, I don't think KC or the Saints or Detroit or Baltimore are really sitting better right now. Of course I do think highly of Mooney and think he could be a 100 catch guy this year. I think he can compare to a good number of team's top guys.

Poles is no dummy and he's not going into the season with an empty cupboard at WR. So while some think it is empty he clearly doesn't. Based on his actions we can assume he thinks Pringle is better than guys like Chark or JuJu and some others. Yet those guys are penciled in a top WRs for their respective teams at this point. Think JuJu and MVS can replace Hill and Pringle? I don't. But I definitely think Mooney and Pringle can replace Mooney and ARob.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

If healthy, Michael Thomas is much better than anyone the Bears have.

I could argue about the Chiefs and Ravens WR lists but ok let's say their WRs are a llittle worse. They also have MVP QBs, pro-bowl TEs, and a million draft picks each to make improvements so you could see why they are where they are.
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

sounds to me like there's no where to go but up!
dplank
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:14 pm If healthy, Michael Thomas is much better than anyone the Bears have.

I could argue about the Chiefs and Ravens WR lists but ok let's say their WRs are a llittle worse. They also have MVP QBs, pro-bowl TEs, and a million draft picks each to make improvements so you could see why they are where they are.
They also have good OL's and great coaching staff's that have had their systems in place for many years now. The Ravens, for instance, really just need that one deep threat in Hollywood Brown. Andrews is a stud TE and they are the best running team in football. They get it done differently.

I'd be fine with what we have at WR if we had bolstered our OL. But somehow we've managed to go backwards there. Hopefully we strike gold in the draft, or Fields is going to get killed.
Z Bear
MVP

The only place the Bears improved offensively this offseason is at fullback where they replaced a gadget slot guy (Cohen) with an actual NFL fullback. QB is probably a wash with Seimian vs Dalton, but every other group has regressed so far. People want to bash Robison for being lazy, but I think most forget he had a bad case of COVID mid season and never seemed to get fully better from it. 2020 Robinson is much more of a threat than Pringle and ESB. Graham may have been pretty worthless outside the red zone, but he literally was the only red zone threat on the roster...that has not been replaced. Patrick is a big improvement over Mustipher, but the RG spot is much worse off now than at seasons end.