Bears WR discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:12 am One name to keep an eye on us Robert Woods. Pretty sure he’ll be a cap casualty and come at a cheap cost…Love his potential.
What's cheap? Robert woods is really good. An ACL injury is a major concern. He was hurt early Nov, so Aug is the 10 month mark when you would expect him to start getting back. I would take him in a heartbeat.
wab
Mod

Yeah, I'd take Woods for sure, depending on how is injury looks. Could be a similar thing to how the Bears got Robinson?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Agreed, he's a vet, knows how to play his position. Won't cost a fortune. Tore his ACL in November, it's possible now he could play early in '22 with medicine being as advanced as it is. Michael Gallup from the Cowboys tore his ACL in late December, it's dicier he'd be able to play much before mid-22 but worth a look also.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'd be a little surprised if Wood's was cut. At least this year. Maybe 2023. He's already got some guarantees and while I know they have a tight cap window, they have lots of options on guys to kick that can and clear up space to operate. And obviously they are in win now mode. They should be agressive with their cap mgmt.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:42 am Agreed, he's a vet, knows how to play his position. Won't cost a fortune. Tore his ACL in November, it's possible now he could play early in '22 with medicine being as advanced as it is. Michael Gallup from the Cowboys tore his ACL in late December, it's dicier he'd be able to play much before mid-22 but worth a look also.
It would have to be after a physical or long hard look at the medicals. All ACL injuries are not equal, see Tarik Cohen
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:19 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:42 am Agreed, he's a vet, knows how to play his position. Won't cost a fortune. Tore his ACL in November, it's possible now he could play early in '22 with medicine being as advanced as it is. Michael Gallup from the Cowboys tore his ACL in late December, it's dicier he'd be able to play much before mid-22 but worth a look also.
It would have to be after a physical or long hard look at the medicals. All ACL injuries are not equal, see Tarik Cohen
Of course. But I think there is something else going on with Cohen’s injuries.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
IE
Hall of Famer

Cohen had at least one broken bone, and that delayed his rehab. And then he went in for a second "clean-up" surgery earlier last year. He's not an example of a normal injury or recovery.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Adams wants $30 million a year.

Too much in my opinion
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Assuming the plan is to draft a prospect, the best plan of attack is not dissimilar to what the Bears did going into 2021 (which might have been more successful if ARob hadn't gone AWoL): find bargain bin guys who can play some downs here and there to see if they maybe rise to the occasion.

Usually that involves guys who've had trouble staying on the field and/or nearing the end of the line. This year's Damiere Byrd (who played more than half of the team's offensive snaps) could be guys like Chris Conley (Texans), Kenny Stills (Saints), or Albert Wilson (Dolphins).

"But Thunder," I hear you say, "those names suck." Yes. Yes, they do. But then Damiere Byrd and Marquise Goodwin did too, when the Bears signed them. And they're not appreciably worse statistically than, say, Sammy Watkins (Ravens), who's going to cost roughly three times the coin for nearly identical results, including missed games due to injury.
Last edited by thunderspirit on Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

From the way both Eberflus and Poles sounded, "Fast and explosive," I think you might see Byrd, Grant, and Goodwin all back at reasonable contracts. Particularly Grant. Nobody in free agency is as fast or explosive as him. Could never describe ARob that way. ;)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:13 pm Assuming the plan is to draft a prospect, the best plan of attack is not dissimilar to what the Bears did going into 2021 (which might have been more successful if ARob hadn't gone AWoL): find bargain bin guys who can play some downs here and there to see if they maybe rise to the occasion.

Usually that involves guys who've had trouble staying on the field and/or nearing the end of the line. This year's Damiere Byrd (who played more than half of the team's offensive snaps) could be guys like Chris Conley (Texans), Kenny Stills (Saints), or Albert Wilson (Dolphins).

"But Thunder," I hear you say, "those names suck." Yes. Yes, they do. But then Damiere Byrd and Marquise Goodwin did too, when the Bears signed them. And they're not appreciably worse statistically than, say, Sammy Watkins (Ravens), who's going to cost roughly three times the coin for nearly identical results, including missed games due to injury.
Yep
Bargain bin vets who flashed here and there, where you hope that some good opportunity is what they've been needing, or a gamble on an injury risk.
Byrd and Goodwin were entirely reasonable pickups for the situation last year (as was Perriman) and the same general sort they ought to be canvassing for this year.
They didn't do much because nothing can escape the black hole of NagySuck, but that was the right sort of approach there.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:48 pm From the way both Eberflus and Poles sounded, "Fast and explosive," I think you might see Byrd, Grant, and Goodwin all back at reasonable contracts. Particularly Grant. Nobody in free agency is as fast or explosive as him. Could never describe ARob that way. ;)
They kept saying "big, fast, and physical". I like Grant and hope he comes back. If not him, then Goodwin. At least one of the 3, but probably not all 3. "Big" doesn't really describe them...
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’d like to see Grant and Byrd come back. Byrd is fast as hell but also has GREAT hands. He’ll get open in the right scheme. Give him the ball in front of him and he’ll grab it and go.
Grant has that X-factor about him and punt/KO returns are very important for the offense.

Bring them 2 back :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:18 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:48 pm From the way both Eberflus and Poles sounded, "Fast and explosive," I think you might see Byrd, Grant, and Goodwin all back at reasonable contracts. Particularly Grant. Nobody in free agency is as fast or explosive as him. Could never describe ARob that way. ;)
They kept saying "big, fast, and physical". I like Grant and hope he comes back. If not him, then Goodwin. At least one of the 3, but probably not all 3. "Big" doesn't really describe them...
While they said all three I think we intuitively know it's hard to find all 3 in one package. You usually end up compromising.

So probably no place for too many fast shorties, but one or two can still find a role. They have their running shoes.
Last edited by The Cooler King on Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cblaz11
MVP

Byrd and Grant should absolutely come back for 1 mill per.

They are solids 4th and 5th guys that with the right QB and offense, could be 3rd and 4th. Also, they are both special teams contributors.

Any chance Arob returns under the new GM and HC…NEvermind lol
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Marquez Valdes-Scantling actually fits the bill. Taller, explosive receiver.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:09 pm Byrd and Grant should absolutely come back for 1 mill per.
Grant's Pro Bowl nomination might kill that.

IE
Hall of Famer

I still want this guy. I think he'll be affordable and the upside is there. Big strong fast explosive. Knows how to operate in a winning program. And Poles knows him best. If Poles doesn't want him, I don't either. But if he does, I really do.

Hung with a bad crowd in HS, and worked his way out of it. Supposedly married now with 2 boys. Again, Poles knows.

ESPECIALLY if Grant doesn't return... which he certainly may not, after his late-season flashes.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/20 ... -hometown/

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/08/03/m ... le-chiefs/
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:35 am Marquez Valdes-Scantling actually fits the bill. Taller, explosive receiver.
As a former WR coach, Getsy should be a valuable resource in evaluating the free agent WRs. Plus, the inside information on the Packers free agents.
Artbest
Player of the Month

I don't see Byrd and Goodwin returning - both are fast, but I don't think either fit the bill of what they're looking for. Good straight line speed - not sure how truly "explosive" they are - both are faster in the 40 than Deebo Samuel - but Samuel is FAR more explosive than either of them.
Grant, if I'm not mistaken, is under contract - so he'll be back.

The Bears DESPERATELY need new blood at WR. I can't imagine Poles looking at film of the Bear receivers and wanting anyone other than Darnell Mooney to return.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:13 am Grant, if I'm not mistaken, is under contract - so he'll be back.
He is not. Pace traded a pick for a 3/4 season rental.

Artbest wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:13 am The Bears DESPERATELY need new blood at WR. I can't imagine Poles looking at film of the Bear receivers and wanting anyone other than Darnell Mooney to return.
They do.
But when you need 5 more rostered players, plus maybe 4 more camp bodies/PS candidates, I'd be pretty surprised if at least 1-3 of them weren't back.

wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:22 am
Artbest wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:13 am Grant, if I'm not mistaken, is under contract - so he'll be back.
He is not. Pace traded a pick for a 3/4 season rental.

Artbest wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:13 am The Bears DESPERATELY need new blood at WR. I can't imagine Poles looking at film of the Bear receivers and wanting anyone other than Darnell Mooney to return.
They do.
But when you need 5 more rostered players, plus maybe 4 more camp bodies/PS candidates, I'd be pretty surprised if at least 1-3 of them weren't back.
I think given the pick traded for him, Grant might be the best bet to return. He and Byrd are essentially the same dude, so I have no problem letting Byrd go. He's a 5'6 170lb WR who is closing in on 30. (So is Grant, and the Bears don't need a duplicate).

I think Goodwin was badly misused, but again...small and older.

Right now, it's all about bodies at WR. They do have a few bodies...

Mooney
Newsome
Coulter
Webster

Yeah, it's not ideal. BUT...if Grant comes back and they pick up a starting level FA and draft a guy in R2 or R3...it's not as bad as it seems. It's not great...they certainly aren't fielding Chase/Higgins/Boyd as their top 3 WRs, but it could get you buy for now.
dplank
Hall of Famer

My head is still spinning that we spent a 6th round pick for a half season punt returner.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Trying to save his job I imagine.

That said. I absolutely LOVE Grant and want him back. He offers elite speed. Much more valuable right now than say a Cohen who I feel is probably done. Grant proved he's not only valuable in the return game. Used right, he can make a significant contribution in regular sets. He proved that. I have no clue why his snap percentages went down so drastically in the last two games after he had significant contributions for three straight games through the Packer game.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:09 pm Trying to save his job I imagine.

That said. I absolutely LOVE Grant and want him back. He offers elite speed. Much more valuable right now than say a Cohen who I feel is probably done. Grant proved he's not only valuable in the return game. Used right, he can make a significant contribution in regular sets. He proved that. I have no clue why his snap percentages went down so drastically in the last two games after he had significant contributions for three straight games through the Packer game.
Because Nagy really was a horrible horrible coach and decision-maker.

dplank wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:51 pm My head is still spinning that we spent a 6th round pick for a half season punt returner.
I honestly think Pace and Nagy thought they were going to make a run for the playoffs at that time. They were 2-2 and after that ugly Cleveland game came back and JF1 flashed a little vs Detroit.

At the time I thought they signed him through this year though. Sheesh.
Richie
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:52 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:09 pm Trying to save his job I imagine.

Look, I'm not defending Nagy. However, Grant is about to be 30 and he's never had more than 330 yards or 1 TD in a season.

Pretty obvious that he's just not that valuable as a WR. He has his niche, is capable of breaking a big play or two in a season for you. Take an end around or a screen for a nice gain, but that's really it. At a certain point, you're not magically going to turn into a legit WR.
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:51 pm My head is still spinning that we spent a 6th round pick for a half season punt returner.
They were 2-2 in early October. In a year where the HC and GM needed to make the playoffs to save their jobs. It really isn't that absurd, at all.
IE
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:17 am
IE wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:52 am

Look, I'm not defending Nagy. However, Grant is about to be 30 and he's never had more than 330 yards or 1 TD in a season.

Pretty obvious that he's just not that valuable as a WR. He has his niche, is capable of breaking a big play or two in a season for you. Take an end around or a screen for a nice gain, but that's really it. At a certain point, you're not magically going to turn into a legit WR.
You know the whole conversation going on including with the new Bear regime, about how it is a good idea to find out what you do well and then do that? Well, NOT doing that was a specialty of Nagy. That was less about Grant than all his decision-making. And that's a big part of why he's gone.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:25 am
Richie wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:17 am

You know the whole conversation going on including with the new Bear regime, about how it is a good idea to find out what you do well and then do that? Well, NOT doing that was a specialty of Nagy. That was less about Grant than all his decision-making. And that's a big part of why he's gone.
In fairness, Grant has been in the league a while and other coaches besides Nagy have come to similar conclusions that he's not a full time WR.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:57 am
IE wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:25 am

In fairness, Grant has been in the league a while and other coaches besides Nagy have come to similar conclusions that he's not a full time WR.
Yeah - that's what the other guy said. But again my comment was more global about Nagy's decision-making and apparent inability to find (or stick to) anything that works. The complaint about Grant is minor compared to other areas. But when you see what a guy can do and then they don't really bother to try that again... yeah, I think it is part of the picture.