Bears WR discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Is Chark healthy? Is he ever healthy is the better question. He's never played a full season...so buyer beware I guess.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Last year was the only year he had serious injuries. First fractured his finger in training camp and then his ankle in the fourth game.

He played in 13 games in 2020 and 15 in 2019. Wouldn't call that a serious injury risk providing his ankle is okay.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:52 pm Is Chark healthy? Is he ever healthy is the better question. He's never played a full season...so buyer beware I guess.
He's basically played two full seasons out of 4. He even missed a couple of games in those - but I consider that normal to miss one now & again. He just seems to get dinged a lot and might be one of those guys who doesn't naturally protect himself or have the body to absorb hits. Some guys seem to be made out of rubber and some out of glass.

When he's been playing he's been good. Maybe Minshew made him look good (lol). He could be worth a gamble if the approach is necessarily quantity this off-season. But I'm guessing as a second rounder who's been to the probowl he's looking for a one-year prove it somewhere. I don't see the Bears doing that and ending up with the same WR bodies issue as this year.

I wonder how cheaply Goodwin would come back, as he's decent depth. Maybe we didn't get a fair look at him in the Nagy death march. Maybe the new regime can utilize his speed properly. Byrd looked better towards the end of the year but I think I saw enough.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think of Chark as a slightly better Mooney which is to say I like him but the scheme better be right if we're gonna have two string beans with linear speed at the top of the depth chart
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:02 pm I think of Chark as a slightly better Mooney which is to say I like him but the scheme better be right if we're gonna have two string beans with linear speed at the top of the depth chart
Chark is a much bigger body - like 5 inches taller. I think Yogi said he beefed up a little too this year. It could just be bad luck that he got that ankle. He's very talented and makes big catches. I think the problem with him even if he's healthy is he's going to want to get paid. I think the Bears would have to pay him quite a bit even coming off injury like they did ARob. Should the Bears pay an oft-injured guy who is probably a #2 WR $10MM or more for 4 years? I think if he can't get a big multi-year deal he'll take a smaller one to prove it and then I wouldn't want the Bears in that market.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Alright I watched some highlights and he looks a bit thicker but he's still not exactly DK Metcalf out there throwing DBs around. He's tall and leggy and fast in a straight line. He would absolutely be WR1 here and I'd be comfortable if he's making WR1 money. With a downfield passing scheme this is decent

Chark
Mooney
Pringle
Grant or Byrd?
Newsome
Rookie

Kmet
Jesse James

I'm good with that
xyt in the discord chats
Middleguard
MVP

I've always hated the WR# designations because I never know for sure what people are writing about. Is the #1 the big guy, the X, who lines up on the LOS and is also expected to block a lot on the weak side of the formation? Or just the best at beating the press. Or is he the highest paid? Or the WR expected to lead in yards? Or the primary target on most downs?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ok whatever we don’t need to argue about designation let’s just talk money. NFL average for the WR group is $20.7m and I think my list should be just a little under that number
xyt in the discord chats
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Sportstrac's projection for Chark is 4 years 47 million. I'd be okay with that.
IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:33 pm Alright I watched some highlights and he looks a bit thicker but he's still not exactly DK Metcalf out there throwing DBs around. He's tall and leggy and fast in a straight line. He would absolutely be WR1 here and I'd be comfortable if he's making WR1 money. With a downfield passing scheme this is decent

Chark
Mooney
Pringle
Grant or Godwin
Newsome

Kmet
Horsted
Holtz

I'm good with that
Fixt - now its' perfect. Dazz is basically the rookie. Don't leave Horsted off - it makes me mad. LOL I like James but he and Horsted are basically the same thing. So Holtz as in-line blocker, or bring in someone else.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not impressed with the available WR #1s who will be available. Plus too often such guys don't live up to their new contracts. A couple of 2nd tier guys, which includes Chark, should be looked at. I don't know if any guys would be available after cuts or through trade: Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley. Could DK Metcalf be pried loose from the Seahawks? Maybe if the Bears actually use their TEs correctly, that would help also.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've always liked Christian Kirk. He's an Earl Bennett with juice.

Not a 1, maybe not even a 2 perse but I think he'd be a terror in the slot.
Last edited by G08 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:40 am I've always like Christian Kirk. He's an Earl Bennett with juice.

Not a 1, maybe not even a 2 perse but I think he'd be a terror in the slot.
Watched a lot of Cardinals games this year
When Hopkins went down, Kirk was targeted a lot... almost 9/game
Similar production to Mooney actually.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The what to do about WR question is a curious one. On one hand, you have young Justin Fields whose style is to push it down field which would lend to us getting Nagy-esque speed merchant guys. On the other, we're now led by a defensive guy who may be inclined to be more conservative on offense, which would be a better fit for bigger, slower, but more reliable move the chains guys more like ARob. Obviously, whoever the OC is will factor in. It will be interesting to see how this position is built going forward.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Looking at a few of the free agents one name that interests me is Zay Jones. I cant see him commanding a ton of money but hes a starting caliber player.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm starting to better understand Cooler's view of fungable caps. If we cut Whitehair and eat the money this year, he's fully off the books next year. Yes, we're down a roster spot with no cap relief this cycle, but we have major relief next cycle. Meanwhile, we sign Adams to a monster deal with heavy signing bonus, and we shrink the base pay in year 1 while boosting it hard in Year 2 when we've realized the Whitehair savings. Sort of a see saw effect, and that's just with one contract.

I think we need a true #1 to open things up for Fields, otherwise teams are going to key on him mercilessly. Meanwhile, guards grow on trees so why have so much money tied up in Whitehair/Daniels? I'd cut Whitehair and let Daniels sign elsewhere, and use the draft to target the G position (maybe sign a middle tier vet for insurance). We could trade down from the second and end up getting two solid guards, or if the right T is there we nab him and maybe Borom swings inside or even Jenkins would could be a monster at G if he can play it. You can't assume they can move from T to G, not everyone can, but many do so it's certainly a possibility.

Anyhow, my head is around landing a #1 WR by applying the cap space we had earmarked for G and going young / draft at that position. A #1 WR opens up Mooney and Kmet, increasing the productivity of both. It opens up the RPO's for Fields and space for Monty. We aren't drafting high enough to land a #1 there. While I'm not opposed to spending at the G position, IMO you don't do that unless you have a Quentin Nelson type game wrecker. Otherwise, stay on the cheaper side there.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Did I just read a post from dplank about investing big money in a single FA WR over investing heavily in the offensive line?! :shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:52 pm Did I just read a post from dplank about investing big money in a single FA WR over investing heavily in the offensive line?! :shocked:
haha, more than one way to skin a cat! I'd spend all day long until I got the T position set, but Guards aren't nearly as valuable and I wouldn't overspend there. You can still get to an elite line without spending top FA $$ at the G position. I still insist on a high end (Top 10 or better) OL as a core principal, but am against overspending at a commodity position like G when you can achieve similar results for a fraction of the cost. And absolutely, positively against overspending for guys that aren't all that good anyways, like Whitehair and Daniels. If you're gonna spend heavy at a position like that, he better be a Quentin Nelson type player.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

From the NFLPA Bowl, Dai'Jean Dixon (6'3", Nichols State) is having a game:

Possible 6-7th round receiver for us? Looks pretty damn good. Remember, the NFLPA Bowl is where both Mooney and Tariq came from.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:48 pm I'm starting to better understand Cooler's view of fungable caps. If we cut Whitehair and eat the money this year, he's fully off the books next year. Yes, we're down a roster spot with no cap relief this cycle, but we have major relief next cycle. Meanwhile, we sign Adams to a monster deal with heavy signing bonus, and we shrink the base pay in year 1 while boosting it hard in Year 2 when we've realized the Whitehair savings. Sort of a see saw effect, and that's just with one contract.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:00 pm From the NFLPA Bowl, Dai'Jean Dixon (6'3", Nichols State) is having a game:

Possible 6-7th round receiver for us? Looks pretty damn good. Remember, the NFLPA Bowl is where both Mooney and Tariq came from.
Both Dixon and Glass are prospects I like.

If Dixon runs well, he might be an early Day 3 guy. Ridiculously productive last year, with another two very productive seasons before that. Glass has been terrific for four straight years at the FCS level.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:11 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:00 pm From the NFLPA Bowl, Dai'Jean Dixon (6'3", Nichols State) is having a game:

Both Dixon and Glass are prospects I like.

If Dixon runs well, he might be an early Day 3 guy. Ridiculously productive last year, with another two very productive seasons before that. Glass has been terrific for four straight years at the FCS level.
Glass is interesting but maybe tough to justify unless they pick up extra picks via a trade down. Or he may well last until UDFA
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Good spot Yogi :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Cap Casualties are probably the best place to look for WR this offseason
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:48 pm I'm starting to better understand Cooler's view of fungable caps. If we cut Whitehair and eat the money this year, he's fully off the books next year. Yes, we're down a roster spot with no cap relief this cycle, but we have major relief next cycle. Meanwhile, we sign Adams to a monster deal with heavy signing bonus, and we shrink the base pay in year 1 while boosting it hard in Year 2 when we've realized the Whitehair savings. Sort of a see saw effect, and that's just with one contract.

I think we need a true #1 to open things up for Fields, otherwise teams are going to key on him mercilessly. Meanwhile, guards grow on trees so why have so much money tied up in Whitehair/Daniels? I'd cut Whitehair and let Daniels sign elsewhere, and use the draft to target the G position (maybe sign a middle tier vet for insurance). We could trade down from the second and end up getting two solid guards, or if the right T is there we nab him and maybe Borom swings inside or even Jenkins would could be a monster at G if he can play it. You can't assume they can move from T to G, not everyone can, but many do so it's certainly a possibility.

Anyhow, my head is around landing a #1 WR by applying the cap space we had earmarked for G and going young / draft at that position. A #1 WR opens up Mooney and Kmet, increasing the productivity of both. It opens up the RPO's for Fields and space for Monty. We aren't drafting high enough to land a #1 there. While I'm not opposed to spending at the G position, IMO you don't do that unless you have a Quentin Nelson type game wrecker. Otherwise, stay on the cheaper side there.
Excellent post

I do think we can get a pick for Whitehair though
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Upwards of $21M if Goldman, Whitehair, and Cohen are cut. Kirk is a possibility although not a true #1. Gallup was projected for a 4 year-$55M ($32M) deal before he hurt himself. Mike Williams, Chargers is projected for a 4 year-$68M ($38M) contract.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:54 am Cap Casualties are probably the best place to look for WR this offseason
Who do you think is gonna be a WR cap casualty?

I actually like some of the names out there at WR. I think I might focus more on cap casualties on D. I don't need superstars at DT or LB, but if I can get a vet stopgap who doesnt cost towards comp pick status, I'd definitely take a look there.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:53 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:54 am Cap Casualties are probably the best place to look for WR this offseason
Who do you think is gonna be a WR cap casualty?

I actually like some of the names out there at WR. I think I might focus more on cap casualties on D. I don't need superstars at DT or LB, but if I can get a vet stopgap who doesnt cost towards comp pick status, I'd definitely take a look there.
Good question on WR - Maybe Robert Woods? Randall Cobb for sure (if you are looking for a 3rd WR type). I think Brandin Cooks could be had for a pick?

Maybe the Atlanta guy

I do think there will be SOME (not like when people would do offseason planning and be like "Sign a Pro Bowl LT" and there would be like the ghost of Orlando Pace or Nate Solder out there)

But - I will revisit too - Maybe I'm being an idiot
cblaz11
MVP

One name to keep an eye on us Robert Woods. Pretty sure he’ll be a cap casualty and come at a cheap cost…Love his potential.
IE
Hall of Famer

I like Woods. I like Kirk OK but to me he's sort of that guy who was always supposed to break out but didn't. Producing when you get fed a lot is fine. That's actually what Mooney is. But looking at his production from this year and it was a bit more than I remembered. I think I'll put Woods and Kirk on my list of 2nd tier guys who I think would be good signings for this year because I think that's about all the Bears can & will do.

I don't think the Bears have anything they can trade to get a guy like Cooper in a trade. And I really don't like the idea of putting all the FA WR eggs in a basket called Fuller V or Mike Williams or JuJu. I think Godwin might command more than I think he's worth.

Woods, Kirk, Pringle, Wilson, T. Smith, Gallup, Gage... those are 2nd tier guys I think can be gotten at a cheap enough price to get two of them. And I also just added MVS and Lazard, given the new OC (Laz is RFA tho). I like Chark but for $10+MM I'm not liking the injury risk. But anyway getting two of those kind of guys I think would be good enough to be what Fields needs outside of that one playmaker who can just do things that other.

There's no question Adams is the holy grail and in no way does any of this discussion imply I wouldn't want him. I just don't think he's get-able. Even with the new OC. The reason is I do think there is might be some reality behind a potential Raiders/Pack QB swap. If that happens I can see the Pack investing the dollars to keep Adams over everything else. And I could see Adams maybe even taking a bit less to stay there & be THE team star with his buddy Carr coming in. With Carr and Adams and that run game, that's a good team.

To be consistent, earlier in the season I was arguing that I had changed my mind on paying ARob and thought it would be worth $20+MM to have him as JF1's security blanket for the next 4 years. But he convinced me he isn't that guy. But if Adams can be gotten for $30MM I'm just going to squint and rationalize that's actually not much more than 20. It's only a Jimmy Graham away. LOL

Do it!