Bears Pending Free Agents

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:26 pm
RichH55 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:13 pm

Personally I'll be glad when the Ryan Nall era is over (for message board sake)

I think he's been the Ice Cream of the Future for like 35 years now.
We will always have his one long preseason run each year to remember fondly
He'll never be Ahmed Merritt - I dont care how many seasons he plays!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From Gregg Rosenthal's 'Top 101 NFL free agents of 2022' (https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-fr ... -available)
Rank 14 - Allen Robinson (WR - Age 29)
Was Robinson's decline in 2021 mostly due to his situation? This ranking assumes that to be the case, because he was a borderline top-10 receiver until a discouraging season where it appeared he was playing out the string in Chicago.

Rank 29 - James Daniels (OG - Age 24)
One truism that has remained constant in all the years of ranking free agents: Above-average starting guards entering their second contract make huge money. It can only help that Daniels has center flexibility.

Rank 38 - Akiem Hicks (DL - Age 32)
Hicks' signing in 2016 was one of the best free-agent deals of the last decade. He's down a peg from his peak and has struggled to stay on the field, but he'd be great as a role player; just don't expect star production.

Rank 55 - Bilal Nichols (DL - Age 25)
He can shoot gaps or occupy blockers and plays multiple positions. I love versatile defensive linemen who can fit in most systems.

Rank 101 - Andy Dalton (QB - Age 34)
Dalton has seen a ton of action (15 starts) since transitioning into the backup phase of his career and has played exactly how you’d expect. The new Dalton Scale: If your veteran backup is worse than Dalton, you need a new QB2?

(Former Bears Cordarrelle Patterson and Bryce Callahan are also on the list at 49 and 57 respectively.)
Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

I do fear that someone is going to throw bonkers money at Daniels based on the fact that he's still young and has so much positional flexibility. I think he could even fill in at LT in a pinch if you needed him too.
Xee
Site Admin

Just as an update, here's a list of which of our FA's haven't signed anywhere yet:

https://sports.yahoo.com/list-bears-fre ... 32039.html

And summarized below:
  • Akiem Hicks
  • Eddie Goldman
  • Jimmy Graham
  • Danny Trevathan
  • Tarik Cohen
  • Germain Ifedi
  • Tashaun Gipson
  • Jason Peters
  • Jesse James
  • Marquise Goodwin
  • Christian Jones
  • Damiere Byrd
  • Alec Ogletree
  • J.P. Holtz
  • Ryan Nall
  • Adam Redmond
  • Beau Brinkley
dplank
Hall of Famer

Feel like we should bring Jesse James back for cheap
malk
Head Coach

Given we've got roster spots to fill I wouldn't be opposed to offer Hicks a role, basically saying at least you won't need to move house... I don't think he's in a place where he can really ring chase (?) so being part of a rotation for a year to protect his body a bit might appeal. Does he have a spot in a 4-3 front though? You'd think he could run stuff from NT but what do I know!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hicks has a really good get off and wins with quickness inside - then he has the power to finish his man or hold stout when he doesn’t win off the snap. I actually see him as a great 3T, and having him play with the new guy could be great for both of them. Keeping guys fresh and limiting injury exposure.