Senior Bowl 2022: OL /LB

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

OL

Penning - Mean, RT only? But CAN play Tackle, beat up the tOSU kids and almost got into a fight every snap, plays to the absolute whistle. Does need some clean up work on technique and feet are probably never getting much past average for a tackle, Will be fun to watch and a fan favorite, Lost to Speed on Left Side, EASY stop on Bull by tOSU

Fortner - KY - C - Bit underrated - I think this is an NFL Starter (win v. Mathis), Decent v. Ridgeway, solid v #99 (Johnson) which is a compliment,

LSU - Engram - Underrated- Liked this one, Win v Wyatt, stalemate v. LSU, win v Mathis

Burford - UTSA - apparently I like UTSA prospects this year. Loss to Malone (no shame in that), win, win v. VT, Solid Recovery in Rep after initial loss, Win v. #38

#56 Memphis Parham - Kind of liked this kid in a meh OL Group - If you told me I had to take him Top 3 Rounds- Im Out. But if you made me bet on a kid taken Round 5 or later who has an above average NFL Career at Guard - He's my guy this year (unless Engram slips too). Does need to remake his body a bit (Dunlap disease)

#54 Georgia - Bit lumbering, loss to Wyatt

#68 Georgia - Also meh - apparently I dont think Guard play won them the national title

#71 UCLA. - easy loss, win v. #17 Carter (Florida)

Kennard - KY - I have somehow seen him top 50 in places - Woof - Bad technique, Guard only, Absolute WHIFF block in 1 on 1s,Hand technique is worse than a Catholic teen in the back seat of a plymouth on a first date, Loves to reach, Whiff block #2!, Bad, Guard Only

Tenn -Mays - Everyone can bull rush him back 5-7 yards - No Bueno

Smith - #52 - Solid rep v Mathis (Bama), and again

Mitchell - Rajun Cajun - They want to talk him into the top 50 - Do not see it, Bad loss #7, then better Rep, Guard? (Later on he looked more like a Tackle), win v Sam Williams

#54 OK Hayes - Nice win v fellow OK, competes, another win v OK

Raimann - Central Michigan - Meh overall - You can tell there is talent, and also that he needs work. Brian Oneill meets Jordan mailata (somewhere in the middle), Struggling though

Minnesota MONSTER - If he catches you - you are done. Unforunately basic counter moves are death for him. I think he's a Guard - albeit one that really help in the Run Game. He does not seem to have much of a mean streak (this might be because Im comparing him to Penning)

Michigan - Steuber - Basically he's Alex Bar - Big School lots of starts - pretty meh overall -Should have an NFL Career, some nasty, competes, there just isn't enough talent/power to make it more than that

Waletzko - at least moves well for a big man

Tenn- Chat- Needs Strength, Good Anchor + Good Hips, Needs a year in a Pro weight room,Win v. Jones (solid achievement)

#65 Carter - Bulled back, meh

Lucas - Good Catch on a Bull Rull by PSU #17

75 Zakelj - Loss to 98, Loss to 98

#77 BC - (Learning Center) Very Nice rep v Jones, then loss v Jones, Lost to Malone

LB

Chad Muma - Looked solid

GT - Carpenter - I think listed as Safety but should be LB at next level - could be a good pass coverage LB, has some instincts

D Clark - Solid Pass Coverage, "He's a player"

Domann- Nebraska - NO pass coverage

Dmarco Jackson - Nice Play

41 Georgia Tindall - ROCKED by HB Robinson in Pass Pro drill, Good Rep 1 on1
thunderspirit
Head Coach

My OL observations:
  • Trevor Penning was mostly a nasty beast. The times he got beat (almost always with speed), he lost his technique really fast and got beat badly. A couple of times it looked like he had trouble getting low enough. He was the best of the tackles, though.
  • Zion Johnson was the best lineman in attendance. Consistent, sound, dependable. Kind of a combo John Urschel/Wyatt Teller.
  • Abe Lucas was really up and down. He'd look great on one rep and then like he'd never played the position before on the next. He looked better as the week went on, which makes me wonder how much of his success is studying opponents. He's got too much experience to be that spotty.
  • Faalele was slow and looked overmatched, like he's used to just burying smaller guys and couldn't do that here.
  • Kinnard was bad, no two ways about it. He didn't look a whole lot better inside, but at least was beat less frequently.
  • Of the smaller-school guys: Braxton Jones moved really well but displayed zero power — needs a ton of weight work; Cole Strange didn't look out of place, which is what you want to see here; the same can't be said for Nick Zakelj (physically overwhelmed) and J'Tyre Carter (not mobile enough).
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:11 am My OL observations:
  • Trevor Penning was mostly a nasty beast. The times he got beat (almost always with speed), he lost his technique really fast and got beat badly. A couple of times it looked like he had trouble getting low enough. He was the best of the tackles, though.
  • Zion Johnson was the best lineman in attendance. Consistent, sound, dependable. Kind of a combo John Urschel/Wyatt Teller.
  • Abe Lucas was really up and down. He'd look great on one rep and then like he'd never played the position before on the next. He looked better as the week went on, which makes me wonder how much of his success is studying opponents. He's got too much experience to be that spotty.
  • Faalele was slow and looked overmatched, like he's used to just burying smaller guys and couldn't do that here.
  • Kinnard was bad, no two ways about it. He didn't look a whole lot better inside, but at least was beat less frequently.
  • Of the smaller-school guys: Braxton Jones moved really well but displayed zero power — needs a ton of weight work; Cole Strange didn't look out of place, which is what you want to see here; the same can't be said for Nick Zakelj (physically overwhelmed) and J'Tyre Carter (not mobile enough).
All agreed here

Thoughts on Engram from LSU?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:00 am All agreed here

2019 arrest for sexual assault. Not interested.
KFFL refugee.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:28 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:00 am All agreed here

2019 arrest for sexual assault. Not interested.
Did not know that - I'll move him down a few rounds and if we get him at least I don't have to concern myself with CTE
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Missed this last week on Damone Clark.
KFFL refugee.