Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I hate them so much
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:53 pm
BearsFanInMN wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:14 pm

Yeah it's crazy. As long as he's healthy they're a contender with Rodgers and their not much without him. Will be interesting since I know there's a lot of ways to massage the cap, but this is going to be interesting. Heard the Rodgers deal actually creates $21m in space, but they were still around $50m over after the first few moves and then tagging Adams would fill that cap space creation from Rodgers.

It's the stars and scrubs approach from auction fantasy leagues come to life.
If they saved 21m, then his hit this year is what, 28m? That leaves 172M, almost all guaranteed, the following 3 seasons. There’s no way they can field a competitive team beyond next season.
Exactly.

And their hopes will be on an almost 40 year old QB with a minimal supporting cast.

Their decline just started big time and it's going to last a while. They just don't know it.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:02 pm Well, I hope he contracts some horrific disease and retires immediately.
A bit extreme :D
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

Wondering how Bears fans are feeling right now in general. Most of us (I did for sure) felt like the dragon was finally slayed when Gould put that FG through the uprights and sent the Packers out of the playoffs. The Last Dance, right? 60M over the cap and no way they could possibly keep it together?

Well that was bullshit. Rodgers and Adams are back, key players restructured deals and they will continue to be a problem for the next several years. We will have to watch Rodgers stupid mug on TV, watch the refs ignore every holding penalty, listen to Collingworth drool all over his microphone, the whole shebang. I'm sick from it. I wanted this to be over. I absolutely, positively, unashamedly hate Rodgers and the Packers. And I do mean hate - I hate them. I want bad things to happen to them. I accept I'm not a good person for feeling this way, but here we are. I will celebrate every nugget of bad news, every injury, every loss until Rodgers is fucking gone. I hope he ruins his legacy and realizes down the road that he shouldn't taken this moment to retire while still at the top of his game. And I hope he drags the Packers franchise down with him.

I'd sure like to understand how the Packers pulled this off, while we can't seem to keep Akiem Hicks or Allen Robinson around. WTF?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m cool about it.
He’s at the tail end of his career and is only going to deteriorate. I know - Tom Brady. But Rodgers is not Tom Brady, far from it.

I’m not worried about the Pack, we can take them. I’d rather beat them with Rodgers in the team than without.
We need to slay the dragon properly instead of letting the dragon run away.

Plus their cap is in trouble.

I think the Packers will regret mortgaging the team to keep Rodgers.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Hope your right. As of right now, they are the clear favorite to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl next year. And that simply sucks.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I feel great about it.

They just gave a record contract to a 38 year old QB who hasn’t sounded like he’s really wanted to be there for years. And for four years! Until he’s 42!

Their cap is totally fucked. Then add on the franchise tag to Adams.

This isn’t basketball where you can have three guys and win it all. If that were true, KC would win it all every year.

Seattle did it right. They’re in decline so they traded away their aging yet good QB for a haul of picks. That’s how you rebuild. Not constantly resigning people until they’re in their 40s.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:03 am I feel great about it.

They just gave a record contract to a 38 year old QB who hasn’t sounded like he’s really wanted to be there for years. And for four years! Until he’s 42!

This isn’t basketball where you can have three guys and win it all. If that were true, KC would win it all every year.

Seattle did it right. They’re in decline so they traded away their aging yet good QB for a haul of picks. That’s how you rebuild. Not constantly resigning people until they’re in their 40s.
Their Cap is Fine - they don't have a ton of talent though -but they have Rodgers and that will be enough

Rams and Bengals just played a version of stars-scrubs SB (Bengals OL was worse than ours)

At least people will get to hype up the "Conspiracy theory" more now! (Rather than just acknowledging that Rodgers is a great Football player)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:46 am

Their Cap is Fine - they don't have a ton of talent though -but they have Rodgers and that will be enough

Rams and Bengals just played a version of stars-scrubs SB (Bengals OL was worse than ours)

At least people will get to hype up the "Conspiracy theory" more now! (Rather than just acknowledging that Rodgers is a great Football player)
I saw you take a few days break and then post a ton here.

I take it your prescriptions got filled?
Z Bear
MVP

Rodgers told Pat McAfee that the contract Rappaport reported is absolutely false, he still has not agreed to a new contract. That being said, Rodgers has a $46M number for 2022 so it will not be that hard to reduce it with an extention. With the tag now on Adams, they have a week to shed $49M, https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/. They are no where near out of the woods yet with their cap. The two Smiths, Zaire Alexander, and Amos are in the last year of their contract so there is nothing they can do but add void years to lesson their burden, but they will be paying for it dearly next year if they decide to go that route.
G08
Hall of Famer

There's nothing good about Rodgers coming back... he's a top 5 QB ALL-TIME, and I'm of the opinion he's the most talented QB I have ever seen play.

The only hope is that Father Time catches up to him and this contract becomes an albatross.

Knowing the Packers luck vs our luck, I won't be holding my breath.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Pissed that there doesn't appear to be a divorce between Erin and the Pack. But they're going to be in salary cap hell this year and following ones if they manipulate it to keep him and Adams both. They're going to lose key pieces on D and some decent supporting offensive players. We're not going to be talking about a team as loaded with talent as the Bucs in '20 nor the Rams in '21. I don't see them reaching a SB in the next few years.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:24 am There's nothing good about Rodgers coming back... he's a top 5 QB ALL-TIME, and I'm of the opinion he's the most talented QB I have ever seen play.

The only hope is that Father Time catches up to him and this contract becomes an albatross.

He’s a top QB……until he isn’t.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

This is a worthy and thoughtful post.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:24 am There's nothing good about Rodgers coming back... he's a top 5 QB ALL-TIME, and I'm of the opinion he's the most talented QB I have ever seen play.

Fields is going to outshine Rodgers.

Rodgers curve is trending downwards and Fields is an exponential increase.

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:52 am

This post reminds me of my first wife.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Rodgers is the most talented QB - accuracy, decision making, arm talent, pocket presence, sneaky athleticism - I've seen. He's not the "best" - Brady is the best. But, talent wise, Rodgers may not have a peer.

The team around him imo has been better in the past. He's had far more complete WR corps. His oline, when healthy, is actually pretty good - a legit all pro LT and Pro Bowl guard - but it's rarely healthy. The defense is going to take a step back imo - they likely won't have flash in the plan LB Devondre Campbell and Zadarius Smith is likely going to be released. Their secondary isn't bad - strength in draft numbers - but it's not elite.

All that said, at some point, it looks like the Bears have to get over this hump. Lovie Smith was able to help the Bears overcome Brett Favre's Packers. Poles and Eberflus now have the daunting task of doing the same with Aaron Rodgers. They have to do whatever they can to get the most out of Justin Fields. And, if he's not good enough, they can't hold on to him too long. There's no "stopping" Aaron Rodgers - but he can be contained. The 49ers did it. The Seattle Seahawks used to do it with regularity. Tampa Bay did it. Fangio did it. Now it's up to Eberflus.

It won't happen in 2022, barring herculean improvement from Fields and monster years from Quinn and Mack and others on defense....but that's their mission.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Back to back MVPs, he is not trending down at the moment. The dude can sling it with the best of them. NFL cap is kind of weak, teams seems to always get around it.

The Bears need a come of the century offense to compete in the league and compete with the Pack. If one is not created, A A Ron will continue to own the franchise.

I will wait till the season starts to get pissed and/or worried. Right now, I am not really giving a shit. Games are not won in March.
G08
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:11 am

Bro, Rodgers has won back-to-back MVP awards :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

I appreciate all the anti-Rodgers optimism. I think you’re all insane though.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:28 pm I appreciate all the anti-Rodgers optimism. I think you’re all insane though.
Thanks, it’s nice to be appreciated :clap:

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:20 pm

Bro, Rodgers has won back-to-back MVP awards :lol:
Thanks to the officials ;)

RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:52 am
RichH55 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:46 am

I got like a job man.

I'll explain it to you sometime - Though its unclear why I need to work when apparently I have free rent in your head:)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:31 am Rodgers is the most talented QB - accuracy, decision making, arm talent, pocket presence, sneaky athleticism - I've seen. He's not the "best" - Brady is the best. But, talent wise, Rodgers may not have a peer.

The team around him imo has been better in the past. He's had far more complete WR corps. His oline, when healthy, is actually pretty good - a legit all pro LT and Pro Bowl guard - but it's rarely healthy. The defense is going to take a step back imo - they likely won't have flash in the plan LB Devondre Campbell and Zadarius Smith is likely going to be released. Their secondary isn't bad - strength in draft numbers - but it's not elite.

All that said, at some point, it looks like the Bears have to get over this hump. Lovie Smith was able to help the Bears overcome Brett Favre's Packers. Poles and Eberflus now have the daunting task of doing the same with Aaron Rodgers. They have to do whatever they can to get the most out of Justin Fields. And, if he's not good enough, they can't hold on to him too long. There's no "stopping" Aaron Rodgers - but he can be contained. The 49ers did it. The Seattle Seahawks used to do it with regularity. Tampa Bay did it. Fangio did it. Now it's up to Eberflus.

It won't happen in 2022, barring herculean improvement from Fields and monster years from Quinn and Mack and others on defense....but that's their mission.
Good post
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Did you know disco sales were up 400% for the year ending 1976?
docc
Head Coach

Aaron got a new GF ?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

docc wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:49 pm Image

Aaron got a new GF ?
Hopefully she will put him in a swift, irresistible, head-over-heels romantic bender that culminates in turning his back on all things football, after which he gracefully pivots to become a critically thinking entrepreneur peddling cheesy fermented dietary supplements.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:10 am
docc wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:49 pm Image

Aaron got a new GF ?
Hopefully she will put him in a swift, irresistible, head-over-heels romantic bender that culminates in turning his back on all things football, after which he gracefully pivots to become a critically thinking entrepreneur peddling cheesy fermented dietary supplements.
I can see it now....

Aaron Rodgers: Are you over 40? Low energy. Lost your sex drive? Do you live in Green Bay where the men and women have the same body type? Try Boner Force 3000.
Bearfacts
MVP

Aaron Rodgers has been an arrogant prick most of his adult life but he does understand one thing and that's just how important winning another Super Bowl is to Green Bay and not coincidentally to himself. He had a 50 yard line seat while watching what Brett Favre did as he played the Packers along for a couple of years so he figures he'll do the same. It paid off for Favre and it's paying off for him as well but only in dollars. He consistently loses big games but wins another MVP for himself and he loves that.

His popularity in Cheeseville has plummeted. Half the town would prefer to see him gone except they know as does the Packer organization that without him they have no chance of even getting to a Super Bowl let alone winning one. Much like that guy who used to squat in the WH many fans hate him for how he behaves but they tolerate him because he gives them what they want. Winning seasons and he wipes his ass with the Bears whom they hate even more than they hate Rodgers. Soon it will end.

I think maybe you would have to live in Green Bay as I did for a very long time before you'd truly understand just how much of that towns identity is tied to the fortunes of their Packers. Most Bears fans are fiercely loyal even when the team is losing but Packer fans are like zealots who will never tolerate anyone putting down their team. The Packers aren't just a football team. In GB they're a way of life and happiness depends on them winning. To an extent even the GB economy depends on them winning.

In most sports winning and losing is all part of a cycle but somehow GB has managed to have back to back HOF QBs in a sport where the QB is everything. Have a good one you win more. Have a great one, or two in this case, and you begin to believe the wins will never stop only they will. They always do. There was a similar attitude back in the late '60s under Lombardi until St Vince left and reality hit. The '70s Packers were much like the Bears have been. Bart Starr retired and they lacked another HOF QB who could win like he did. So they made him a HC and found he played much better than he coached. They were losers.

Then came the '80s and the Bears owned them. They got so frustrated that they couldn't beat us they showed up ready to maim McMahon just to spoil our string of wins and rain on our parade as far as winning another Super Bowl. They were big time losers who became cheap shot artists. Our winning era ended as the McCaskey's took over and much like now showed just how little they knew about operating an NFL team and in GB along came Favre and their resurrection. Then came Rodgers and it continued.
What I wonder is how GB will take it when there is no 3rd HOF waiting in the wings and the losing begins again. It won't be pretty.

But.....in the meantime Aaron Rodger will happily take them for as much money as he can before leaving once he realizes that despite his MVP awards he will never be seen as the GOAT. Brady will keep that title and that galls Rodgers as well. He thinks he's far more talented than Brady but he lacks the rings to show it so he'll soothe his ego with Packer millions instead. He's not a nice guy, he's never been a nice guy, and he will never be a nice guy or ever get over those shots of him sitting around on draft day watching team after team pass on him and not being the first QB taken. He holds grudges like a pit bull holds a piece of meat.

Take heart Bears fans. Rodgers is on his way out. He's not the player he once was and were it not for the fact that the NFCN has been so weak for so long he would not even have what he does now. If Justin Fields becomes who we believe he can be and Ryan Poles is as good a GM and Matt Eberflus as good a HC as we believe they can be we won't have that much longer to wait until things are reversed and as Poles said we'll take over the NFCN again and never give it back. I do believe that can happen.