Seahawks trade QB Russell Wilson to Broncos

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Z Bear
MVP

Wow, betyou this had to do wioth Aaron staying in GB.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:51 pm Wow, betyou this had to do wioth Aaron staying in GB.
Hadn't thought of that, but I'm sure you're right
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

All the domino's falling now. Mike Williams reached a deal for $60M. Adams to be franchised. Rodgers back. Curious to see how they manage the cap, a lot of cuts must be coming soon. You can only hide a guaranteed 153M over 4 years so much, his cap hit is still gonna be a monster.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:19 pm All the domino's falling now. Mike Williams reached a deal for $60M. Adams to be franchised. Rodgers back. Curious to see how they manage the cap, a lot of cuts must be coming soon. You can only hide a guaranteed 153M over 4 years so much, his cap hit is still gonna be a monster.
The Packers’ cap is toast and they pissed it away on a 40 year old QB.

Rodgers is going to take a hit his body can’t handle and he will be done.

Smart teams know when to blow it up vs dragging it out for one last chance at glory.

For the Packers, that ceiling is the Conference Finals at best. Now though they will drift into mediocrity and be hamstrung with cap issues.

This was their chance to blow it up and rebuild and they blew it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

More details here: https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-acquir ... st-round-p

Broncos get Wilson plus a 4th round pick.

Seahawks get:
  • 2 x 1st rounders
  • 2 x 2nd rounders
  • 1 x 5th rounder
  • QB Drew Lock
  • DT Shelby Harris
  • TE Noah Fant
That's quite a haul!

I wonder how that compares to what the Ryan Pace offered for Wilson last year?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:12 pm More details here: https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-acquir ... st-round-p

Seahawks get:
  • 2 x 1st rounders
  • 2 x 2nd rounders
  • 1 x 5th rounder
  • QB Drew Lock
  • DT Shelby Harris
  • TE Noah Fant
That's quite a haul!

The Seahawks fleeced them. At this stage in Wilson’s career and where the Seahawks are at I’d make that trade in a heartbeat.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Supposedly the Bears offered three 1sts, a 3rd, and 2 starters. It's obviously never going to be easy trading away a HOF QB but the 'Hawks have armed themselves for a rebuild. Can't wait to see the Pack lose again the playoffs after the '22 season and the look on Erin's face.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

That was a bit of a surprise as honestly did not think Russell would actually be traded. While it's steep, I do like it for both teams.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:51 pm Wow, betyou this had to do wioth Aaron staying in GB.
Yes I think they really wanted Rodgers.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:27 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:12 pm More details here: https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-acquir ... st-round-p

Seahawks get:
  • 2 x 1st rounders
  • 2 x 2nd rounders
  • 1 x 5th rounder
  • QB Drew Lock
  • DT Shelby Harris
  • TE Noah Fant
That's quite a haul!

The Seahawks fleeced them. At this stage in Wilson’s career and where the Seahawks are at I’d make that trade in a heartbeat.
I agree. I think the Seahags came out on top in this trade for the long run. But I think the improvement in QB play for the Broncos is going to have them make a huge leap. The problem they have is that Mahomes guy is really really good and he's in their division.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:50 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:27 pm

I agree. I think the Seahags came out on top in this trade for the long run. But I think the improvement in QB play for the Broncos is going to have them make a huge leap. The problem they have is that Mahomes guy is really really good and he's in their division.
The first rounder this year has the Broncos at 9th overall.

They're right there to draft Malik Willis and they have plenty of assets to trade up.

Or you go with Drew Lock for a year, have a disastrous season, and hope for a great QB next year.

Seattle does this right they could be better off in two years.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:20 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:50 pm

They're right there to draft Malik Willis and they have plenty of assets to trade up.

Or you go with Drew Lock for a year, have a disastrous season, and hope for a great QB next year.

I don't know if would spend a to 15 pick on any QB in this years draft. I'd rather spend those pick on other spots and roll with Trubisky. If he suck, which he very well may, they have 2 first round picks next year to try and fix the QB spot.

I just think this year is a bad year to be drafting a QB.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:50 pm I think the Seahags came out on top in this trade for the long run. But I think the improvement in QB play for the Broncos is going to have them make a huge leap. The problem they have is that Mahomes guy is really really good and he's in their division.
Mahomes isn't that big a problem. 7 teams out of 16 make the playoffs now, so teams have an almost 50/50 chance of qualifying. The Broncos can lose both games to the Chiefs and still qualify comfortably. They might just then need to beat Mahomes once in the playoffs.

They're in a tough division but divisional games account for only 6 out 17 games and 3 of those are at Mile High. Divisions are pretty pointless these days other than skewing home field advantage in the playoffs. A team with a losing record can get a home field game versus a team with a much better record just because they won a weak division, like the 7-9 Eagles did in the 2020 season when they hosted the 11-5 Buccaneers.

I much preferred it when there were 30 teams and 6 divisions with half a team's games being divisional match ups.

As for the cost of the trade, it's very steep but the Broncos had a lot of draft capital (two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders this year thanks to the Von Miller trade and 11 picks overall) and have clearly been a QB away from being a contender for the past couple of seasons. I'm more surprised by them giving up Shelby and particularly Fant, who's been productive and still has a year left on his rookie contract plus a 5th year option, on top of all those picks. As usual Fangio has bequeathed them a top 10 defense and the offense has a lot of talent at WR and RB plus a quality LT. The Broncos are basically gambling that Wilson does for them what Manning did.

The Seahawks on the other hand have a massive opportunity to restock now. They're in a similarly tough division but if they play their cards right they could become the dominant force again in a couple of years. It all depends on how well they utilise those draft picks and who they can find to play QB.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Seahawks did great with that deal, Russ isnt the same player anymore
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Broncos were likely interested in trading for Rodgers and turned to Wilson after he re-signed with the Packers.

So here's the big question:

As a Bears fan, would you have been happier to see Rodgers go in return for all the assets the Seahawks acquired from the Broncos or are you happier that he's staying in Green Bay but taking up a massive amount of their salary cap over the next few seasons?
otis
Pro Bowler

I like green bay being in cap hell with Erin flaming out. And watching love sit on the bench is an extra bonus.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:41 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:20 pm

I don't know if would spend a to 15 pick on any QB in this years draft. I'd rather spend those pick on other spots and roll with Trubisky. If he suck, which he very well may, they have 2 first round picks next year to try and fix the QB spot.

I just think this year is a bad year to be drafting a QB.
Agreed. The 2023 QB class does look a lot stronger.
spudbear
MVP

Wilson is 33. He may be a great athlete but he is an undersized QB who gets the hell beat out of him nearly every game. He missed a few games last year and it will probably only get worse. Seahags did the right thing and got the most value they could out of him, but it's tough to lose the face of a franchise. The NFCW is an interesting division, where you have the SB champs hoping to wring a little more out of Stafford, the Niners uncertain about their QB, and the Cards still seem to be a few players away. Seattle could be competitive in the division with a Drew Lock under center if their D can be rebuilt in a hurry.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My relatives out west could not be happier. They wanted no part of A A Ron.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:58 am Wilson is 33. He may be a great athlete but he is an undersized QB who gets the hell beat out of him nearly every game. He missed a few games last year and it will probably only get worse.
Those were the first games Wilson has ever missed... and it was due to dislocating his middle finger on a throw when he hit Aaron Donald's arm on his follow through. He may take a lot of hits but durability hasn't been a concern at all.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:17 pm
spudbear wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:58 am Wilson is 33. He may be a great athlete but he is an undersized QB who gets the hell beat out of him nearly every game. He missed a few games last year and it will probably only get worse.
Those were the first games Wilson has ever missed... and it was due to dislocating his middle finger on a throw when he hit Aaron Donald's arm on his follow through. He may take a lot of hits but durability hasn't been a concern at all.
The real problem with Russell Wilson isn't so much the games missed. It's how many times he's been sacked. He's taken a shit load of hits.

He's played in 158 games which isn't a lot compared to historical QBs, but he's taken 427 sacks.

By comparison, Drew Brees, who some people thought Mitch was going to turn into, played in 287 games but got sacked almost the same amount. 420.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask?q=whic ... s+all-time
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Honestly, I think Wilson was just fed up in Seattle. His relationship to Pete Carroll was frayed at best. I also think some of the other players resented him for taking on such a big contract and limiting what they could do in free agency. Seattle Was derailed by injuries and offense of line play.

With the receivers that Denver has, they should at least be in the playoff hunt if the defense can hold up. I don’t know which of the three will make the best deep threat, but Sutton, Jeudy and Patrick will all be fantasy relevant this year.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Wilson will be playing behind a sneaky good offensive line too. Something he's never done.
Z Bear
MVP

They traded Fant, but they choose Albert Okwuegbunam last year and he was a beast at Vandy. Plus Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams at RB, that offense is stacked.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:40 pm They traded Fant, but they choose Albert Okwuegbunam last year and he was a beast at Vandy. Plus Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams at RB, that offense is stacked.
I think Gordon is a free agent
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Following their big trade for Wilson, the Broncos have now given him a big contract extension:
Russell Wilson, Broncos agree to terms on five-year, $245M contract extension

Wilson agreed to terms on a five-year, $245 million extension with the Denver Broncos, including $165 million guaranteed, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday, per sources.

The quarterback had two seasons remaining on his deal signed in Seattle, so the extension ties him to Denver for the next seven years.

After shelling out players and draft picks to acquire Wilson from the Seattle Seahawks in March, the plan was always to extend Wilson. Sides waited for the new Walton-Penner ownership group to be approved and weigh in before striking the long-term contract.

The $49 million per year in new money on the five-year extension puts Wilson right behind back-to-back MVP Aaron Rodgers ($50.3 million) and ahead of Kyler Murray($46.1 million). But the $165 million guaranteed falls short of Deshaun Watson's fully guaranteed $230 million deal.

With two years left on Wilson's deal, the Broncos could have hedged and let the 2022 season play out before determining if a big extension made sense. Instead, they backed up their all-in play and their belief that the 33-year-old is the missing piece to their playoff puzzle.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/russell-wilson ... 45-million
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i love how all qb's are expected to play til 40 now
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:59 pm i love how all qb's are expected to play til 40 now
They can, but can they play well to 40.

Brees and Big Ben really showed their loss in arm strength the last couple years, guys like Testaverde, Cunningham and others could still wing it at an advanced age. Romo had injuries stack up and was done.

Brady just keeps putting up MVP numbers like a dang robot.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Doesn't anybody want to see if Russell Wilson will be successful in the new offense first before signing him to a mega deal? ;)

(Where have I heard that argument before?)