crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I have no idea whether to be pleased or terrorized by this
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Looks to me like his throwing motion is starting more up than back like it was last year, thus shortening it.
IE
Hall of Famer

It does seem shortened *a bit*. I think we all agree it would be better if JF1's motion was more compact, holding the ball higher and all the things necessary for a quicker release. It is just an advantage to have a quicker release at times.

I also think we need to be a *bit* more pragmatic about how often that really is for JF1 what this means to JF1's performance as a QB... which is not much, or on the margin. His biggest needs are to read & understand NFL defenses, see the field comprehensively and decision-making including developing that 6th sense of when a defender is about to get him & what to do (not scramble back 15 yards and get sacked deeper)... all things that have little or nothing to do with his release. If he was really good at all those, nobody would be blaming his slow windup and release - one that you can also see in film from Mahomes to Montana.

And also - importantly - since he is a mobile QB and a lot of his best plays are certainly going to come with him moving while he's throwing & in situations where his ability to hit a target while throwing awkwardly and off platform & even across his body using his God-given talent... the compactness of his motion in the pocket is less important than it is for other QB types.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Hopefully they are working on pocket presence because that was pretty atrocious last year, which contributed highly to the amount of times he was sacked and fumbled.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:20 pm Looks to me like his throwing motion is starting more up than back like it was last year, thus shortening it.
It's definitely a much higher release point. I would like to see examples of throwing motions under different conditions.

I don't really get into the whole release timing and foot positioning stuff. These guys aren't show horses at a dog show preening for the judges.

I'm sure you could find plenty of counter examples of successful QBs with footwork or throwing motion issues.

There is so much to analyzing a QB that I think only the elite of the elite are capable of it. The Yodas of football. Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells. The Hoodie.

Not having McNagy and having an offense suited for his abilities and also a Year 2 QB is going to do much more than changing his throwing motion.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I just hope that messing with his mechanics makes him better and doesn't hurt his accuracy.