OT Armstead signs $75m+ deal with Miami

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Top free agent Terron Armstead signing five-year, $75M deal with Dolphins

The top NFL free agent is off the market.

Former New Orleans Saints offensive tackle Terron Armstead is signing a five-year, $75 million deal, plus incentives, with the Miami Dolphins, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. The deal can reach up to $87.5 million with the incentives, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/top-free-agent ... h-dolphins
dplank
Hall of Famer

15M/yr, much less than the 20M many had predicted. Injuries lessened his number.

JMO, but this was the #1 ranked FA, at a massive need position that aligned with two of Poles core objectives (fix OL, build around Fields), who’s value came in at a 25% discount - this is a move we should have made IMO.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:47 am 15M/yr, much less than the 20M many had predicted. Injuries lessened his number.

JMO, but this was the #1 ranked FA, at a massive need position that aligned with two of Poles core objectives (fix OL, build around Fields), who’s value came in at a 25% discount - this is a move we should have made IMO.
For a building team, injuries typically don’t go away or lessen on players. I expect this signing will not look good in a couple years and he will be back on the market after being cut.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The bears are moving on from big contracts on injured players. :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

The experts who ranked him the #1 player in free agency were certainly aware of his injury history. 🤷‍♂️
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:49 am The experts who ranked him the #1 player in free agency were certainly aware of his injury history. 🤷‍♂️
Which shows the limited improvements available. Better to go into the draft than throw a bad contract out there on an oft injured player for numerous years.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well, I reject the premise that it's a bad contract. 15M for a top flight LT is a relative bargain and while I get the concern about his injury history, there's no guarantee that will continue. He had a pec injury knock him out half a year two years ago, then played almost every game the next year, then struggled through some knee issues this past season.

We will see, if healthy it's a steal. If slightly injured here and there (like basically every NFL player), it's a steal. If oft injured, it's not a good deal - but have we seen what his year 4/5 out's look like yet? Devil is in the details with these contracts.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:12 am Well, I reject the premise that it's a bad contract. 15M for a top flight LT is a relative bargain and while I get the concern about his injury history, there's no guarantee that will continue. He had a pec injury knock him out half a year two years ago, then played almost every game the next year, then struggled through some knee issues this past season.

We will see, if healthy it's a steal. If slightly injured here and there (like basically every NFL player), it's a steal. If oft injured, it's not a good deal - but have we seen what his year 4/5 out's look like yet? Devil is in the details with these contracts.
But, to think it’s a good deal you have to ignore that he has averaged missing 5 starts a year for his entire time as a starter, twice missed more than 1/2 a season including last year with knee issues and never started all the games in a season.

Knee issues on big guys rarely get better, add in shoulder, pec issues and the dude is a bit fragile at a position that has severe contact and torque on the body every single play.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:42 am
dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:12 am Well, I reject the premise that it's a bad contract. 15M for a top flight LT is a relative bargain and while I get the concern about his injury history, there's no guarantee that will continue. He had a pec injury knock him out half a year two years ago, then played almost every game the next year, then struggled through some knee issues this past season.

But, to think it’s a good deal you have to ignore that he has averaged missing 5 starts a year for his entire time as a starter, twice missed more than 1/2 a season including last year with knee issues and never started all the games in a season.

Knee issues on big guys rarely get better, add in shoulder, pec issues and the dude is a bit fragile at a position that has severe contact and torque on the body every single play.
100%. It's a gamble, in my opinion.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:42 am

To think it's a bad deal you have to ignore that he's one of the best LT's in the league and 15M is not market price for that talent. Cuts both ways. The discount was applied to account for the injury history, and there's no guarantee that will continue on with him going forward. There is a guarantee that he's an elite LT when he's out there tho.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

It’s really disappointing that we didn’t get in on this.

In todays market $15M per year for THAT guy?

Yes there’s the health risk. There’s also a chance it pays off massively and you get an elite LT for a damn discount.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

$75M over 5 years, with $43M is in guaranteed money. He might be moved to RT as Tua is a southpaw. Nice gamble to be able to take.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Tua should be thrilled, this is how you “build around your QB”! Waddle last year, Tyreke and Armstead this year, offensive guru HC. Impressive.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:49 pm Tua should be thrilled, this is how you “build around your QB”! Waddle last year, Tyreke and Armstead this year, offensive guru HC. Impressive.
So if the Bears follow the Dolphins model and draft a waddle-type this year and trade for or sign Hill/Armstead types next year….
dplank
Hall of Famer

We don’t have a 1st to draft a Waddle type this year, let alone a high first. Our path has got to be different. I’m not even convinced it works for Miami cause I don’t really like Tua and the coach is a big unknown.

If Tua fails tho, it’s clearly on Tua. Will be hard to blame weapons with Hill and Waddle. If Fields struggles, I’m not sure what we’ve learned. He’s our most important player by a wide margin, we should be helping him right away not letting him languish for another year then suddenly buying everything next year hoping he breaks out. That doesn’t mean fixing everything, but for gods sake you can’t take a step backwards on protection personnel of all things given what we’ve fielded the last two seasons.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:48 pm We don’t have a 1st to draft a Waddle type this year, let alone a high first. Our path has got to be different. I’m not even convinced it works for Miami cause I don’t really like Tua and the coach is a big unknown.

If Tua fails tho, it’s clearly on Tua. Will be hard to blame weapons with Hill and Waddle. If Fields struggles, I’m not sure what we’ve learned. He’s our most important player by a wide margin, we should be helping him right away not letting him languish for another year then suddenly buying everything next year hoping he breaks out. That doesn’t mean fixing everything, but for gods sake you can’t take a step backwards on protection personnel of all things given what we’ve fielded the last two seasons.
There are gonna be so many that dont put a hint of it on Fields. If only he had 4 Pro Bowl skill guys and 5 Anthony Munozs - then hed be solid!