This surprises me about Poles' plan

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

LT2_3 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:05 am
Bearfacts wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:32 am Don't know that best place to post this so I chose here because it's part of the plan.

Just read something from a guy dealing with draft metrics which to a certain degree I do understand from a professional standpoint. They aren't a substitute for good judgement but they can help you make better decisions by taking emotion out.

To summarize it his findings tend to indicate more draft picks have a higher correlation coefficient for success than fewer picks. So either trading back to acquire more picks or simply accumulating them however improves the probability of success since the draft is truly a random process. No matter how well you scout no one can accurately project college performance into NFL performance with perfect accuracy as we've often learned with Pace's higher draft picks.

Also, more higher picks are not a surety of consistent success because the failure rate of highly drafted players is still around 50%. So even having a 1st round pick doesn't significantly improve your odds although having multiple 1st round picks may if only based on more draws from the well early on. The counter to this comes when a GM trades lower round picks and/or future picks to trade up for 1st round picks or multiple 1st round picks giving up quantity for hopefully better quality. But does it work?

Based on the metrics probably not unless you get very lucky.

The overall best approach seems to be one of acquiring more picks in each draft to improve your chances of winning yet at the same time using a higher pick(s) on that one impact type player you feel is who you really want most of all. If we apply this to this years draft the best approach Poles might take is trade down with one of his two 2nd round picks or possibly both adding more picks in rounds 3-5 where better values may be had and also adding picks to increase the probability of success.

Some teams seem to live by this philosophy doing it as often as they can. NE would be a good example and Balt. another.

What may work even more to his advantage is if Poles can define several players he would be happy to have in round two and is willing to trade back accepting whichever is there for him at that pick. He could then add more picks in the middle rounds which is really where he stands a good chance of finding even more core type players to re-tool with. But.....he still can draft two starter caliber players in round two. He just has to allow himself multiple options as opposed to "falling in love" with a specific player.

This may have been Pace's biggest downfall. He was always too willing to overpay in order to trade up for a player he did fall in love with and several of them didn't pan out. So not only was one pick wasted on that player but at least one or more were also wasted trading up for him. Anthony Miller would be a prime example of this type of move. If Poles is much wiser he'll do the opposite especially in this draft where there is significant depth at positions he needs to draft for.

While I'm not wholly sold on the idea of metrics alone IMHO they do provide a good core strategy from which to base decisions on when it's clear you could go one way or the other. One huge advantage is it can help take emotion and/or favoritism out of the decision process as long as whose ever making the final call is willing to follow it and not allow emotion to overrule. No GM will ever be perfect in any draft but if he can improve his odds via metrics I'm all for it because I've found myself that it works much better than flipping a coin or throwing darts but it's also not as easy to do as you think. Emotion is a powerful force.
Any chance you can post a link to the article that you are interpreting for us? My main issue is that while you project a failure rate of 50% for first round picks, you never define either success or failure so there is no way to check the math. The problem lies in the fact that perception and draft location / expectations play a huge part. So how about Stephan Paea? Drafted in the second round (53rd overall) played 4 years for the Bears and then signed with another team and played for 3 more seasons. Was that a successful draft pick or not?
It's from WCG. There's a Part 1 and a Part 2. https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/ ... ket_mylist.

Some of it gets into a lot of detail but as he should the author does go into his methodology and his approach. What I've found most helpful is how well is conclusions for each approach correlate with their success. Here's his statement on failure rate.

This trend is largely due to the fact that the draft is a 50-50 proposition. Statistically-speaking, over 50% of first-round picks bust within their first four years in the NFL. Still, teams appear intent on valuing a few high draft picks over many more lower ones in the hopes that they actually know what they’re doing.

How I define success vs failure may not be the same as the author or others do so there will always be a caveat of some sort to go along with most anyone's opinions about this topic and a specific player or players. Defining failure will nearly always be a subjective determination unless we choose a set of reliable standards to measure against and that itself can be subjective. With some players it's very obvious (eg: Kevin White) and with others it's no so obvious (eg: Mitch Trubisky).

My own opinion as it relates to Paea is that he somewhat under performed his draft status but was a failed pick? No.
Bearfacts
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:43 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:58 am

A lack of top tier talent to spend on? THAT'S your slant? Boy, you are in such a minority you're almost a solo.
The Bears have an absolute TON of Cap Room (you also need to look at 2023)

It is EXCEEDINGLY easy to structure deals - that good FAs WOULD want - that leverage this fact. This is for MULTIPLE FA - if you are "only" targeting 1 elite FA this season - you can fit that pretty easily under the current years number

For example - You can have a lower base in Year 1 - But a fully guaranteed Base (or Roster) for Year 2 - Plus the Signing Bonus proration. Often for big resignings OR big FA signings their Year 1 Cap number can be markedly lower than Year 2 (for resignings a lot of the time it lowers their cap hit in the short term)

Here's a fun example: https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/4 ... y-cap-2022

They signed massive contract and save cap room this year.

And yes - targets were limited- Allen Robinson was one of the best FA out there. Alex Cappa is getting 10 million a season. Kirk is getting 17+ (A SEASON)

But yes - to save anything other than the Bears have a large chunk of Cap Room - Is absolutely incorrect.

Its not an opinion (majority or minority) - it's just a fact
Rich, I get all that but as I posted in another response I'm only dealing with the reality the Poles has presented us with. He's doing all he can to undo much of what Pace did cap wise and get as many cap costly deals off the books now as he can. So why would he do then just turn around and add more? I'm not saying he won't but to date he has not. That's all I have to go by.

I'm not disagreeing with the theory I'm just stating the current practice Poles has already said he planned to use.

I can play around with cap numbers and theorize how to structure deals too and I can do it without the tools OTC or Spotrac provide but that's not the point here. It's less about what Poles can do, which is still somewhat limited, and far more about what he's willing to do. That's the reality we should be looking at unless playing imaginary GM is a game someone likes to play.

As reported as accurately as possible we're in roughly the middle of the pack as far as available cap and also right around the league average. But we also have fewer players under contract than many other teams. Maybe even all other teams so we still have a whole lot of warm bodies to add some of whom should be able to help us this year but it's gonna happen later this year.

That's all I can say other than if you believe having an average amount of cap is a "large chunk" then as I said before that's your opinion and it's one many others don't share including me. We can still do some deals and we will do some deals but we aren't exactly anyone's "rich uncle" this year and Poles is behaving like it.
Bearfacts
MVP

Quote; "The Bears have an absolute TON of Cap Room (you also need to look at 2023)"

That's 2023 which by then Poles will have an even better grasp of his roster and a better idea of his highest needs.

Every FA available isn't necessarily a fit for our offensive and defensive schemes and many aren't a fit for our wallet right now.

I'm all for adding talent but Poles plans to add most of that via the draft at least for the most part and use FA to add key impact players and/or fill smaller holes and for depth. Having a number of highly paid top tier talent didn't make us a winner under Pace/Nagy because we often lacked better 2nd tier core talent and depth. Poles wants to reverse that so why not let him do it?

This year is gonna be about building the foundation and some walls. We'll still have a whole lot of potential FA of our own to extend beyond 2022 if they've earned it and other extensions for our top tier talent like Smith. Fortunately we should have a lot of cap with which to do that and possibly more draft picks each year from now on. At least that seems to be the plan.
Bearfacts
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:59 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:53 am

But even without performing that exercise are you saying that Poles has intentionally avoided signing top tier players because he was flush with cap to do so or am I somehow misunderstanding what you posted? I mean he told fans in January what to expect. He's done just that so far and I'm 100% certain he's gonna keep doing it 'til he gets what he wants for now.
My take on what Poles was saying is that Wave 1 of FA - typically that's where you get a bunch of bad deals and poor value.

You can pick and choose your spots mind you - it's not an absolute concept - but if you are splurging hard on FA - typically you are getting poor value.

Any FA you wanted - Cap was not a constraint though. Of course, usually that means you are overpaying for a Guard (See Cappa, etc) - Overpaying for a good player as if he's great (See Kirk or do you remember when B. Berian was a Top 5 paid WR in the game???) / getting non-premium positions generally
I would disagree on this and anyone thinking longer term would also I believe.

While there are literally dozens of ways to "kick the can down the road" the bills for those deals comes due eventually and teams have to pause and get themselves out from under when it's not working. That's us. Without a doubt many of Pace's splurges ended up with us overpaying ourselves into some very bad deals. One's where we got very little for what we spent.

At the very least overpaying now will have an impact on filling out the roster with some ascending talent we don't want to commit to longer term deals with just yet. And it will impact next year and any other year that bad deal is still "on the books". Poles isn't willing to do that right now and hopefully not ever. At some point we need to be drafting and developing most of our core talent not buying it in FA where in most cases team will overspend because they may be forced to by other teams also in the bidding.

This is no more than debating theory against practical. I don't disagree with the theory of cap manipulation but I'm no longer down with that approach right now. I'm thinking more long term and how to get there from here by doing as much to keep the odds of success as intact as possible and that emphasizes a numbers game right now. The more players we can look at and work with the faster we'll find the fits and keepers vs those we'll move on from. That's how Poles is playing it this year.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Nice set of posts there Bearfacts.

I think your underestimating the current situation though in regards to cap and spending. Due to all the dead cap Poles accelerated this year, not only does it really free up the future flexibility of the team, but it also puts them way off pace to meet their cash minimums before the start of 2024.

Unless one wants to explicit spend it all in 2023, there actually is good reason to do what you say and use some of that dead weight you just cut with new, somewhat backloaded deals. It's definitely a choice to do what Poles is doing and not a need to hold back (at least not to the extent they've decided to).

Basically "available cap" is a mostly useless metric. It's all about cash and cash as it relates to cap over time.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yeah - Bearfacts - I don't mind what Poles has done so far - and have no issue with him being smart (I like it)

But there is no Cap issue - the Cap was not a constraint (Granted that is a Could, not Should type of argument)

I do think Poles is viewing it as a 2 year build - which, again, is smart.

"While there are literally dozens of ways to "kick the can down the road" the bills for those deals comes due eventually and teams have to pause and get themselves out from under when it's not working. That's us. Without a doubt many of Pace's splurges ended up with us overpaying ourselves into some very bad deals. One's where we got very little for what we spent."

Yeah - Don't disagree on Bad Deals. I am simply saying we HAD/HAVE the Cap to have gotten those bad deals if we had wanted. There was NO constraint Cap wise into signing any FA.

Whether you SHOULD is an entirely different argument (and I bet we are probably decently in agreement on those type of issues)
Bearfacts
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:48 am Nice set of posts there Bearfacts.

I think your underestimating the current situation though in regards to cap and spending. Due to all the dead cap Poles accelerated this year, not only does it really free up the future flexibility of the team, but it also puts them way off pace to meet their cash minimums before the start of 2024.

Unless one wants to explicit spend it all in 2023, there actually is good reason to do what you say and use some of that dead weight you just cut with new, somewhat backloaded deals. It's definitely a choice to do what Poles is doing and not a need to hold back (at least not to the extent they've decided to).

Basically "available cap" is a mostly useless metric. It's all about cash and cash as it relates to cap over time.
As per your thoughts on this we should explore it in terms of cash vs cap as well. The McCaskey's have long been willing to spend on winning yet we've seldom spent wisely. If there was a rock added to the scale of whether or not to keep Pace I would like to think his $$$ spending without any evidence-able return had to tip the scale toward letting him go.

Using only my own experience what I can relate is that when you go to the boss and ask him to expand your budget in term of cash and/or investment you'd better bring back results or you'll be freshening up your resume. And while available cap may be losing it's impact on roster building it's still a useful metric for some things.

In past years before Pace and Joey Laine took over and Cliff Stein was the Bears capologist and contract guy we tended to avoid significantly back loaded deals to also avoid getting in "cap hell" but with meteoric rises in the cap each teams began to worry far less about that counting on that ever increasing cap to cover their spending.

Then "Along Comes Mary......I mean Covid" requiring teams to brake hard and cast off some $$$ cap weight.

Now quite a few seem to have gone back to their previous approach banking on "going all in" being their road to the Super Bowl.
Bearfacts
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:37 am Yeah - Bearfacts - I don't mind what Poles has done so far - and have no issue with him being smart (I like it)

But there is no Cap issue - the Cap was not a constraint (Granted that is a Could, not Should type of argument)

"While there are literally dozens of ways to "kick the can down the road" the bills for those deals comes due eventually and teams have to pause and get themselves out from under when it's not working. That's us. Without a doubt many of Pace's splurges ended up with us overpaying ourselves into some very bad deals. One's where we got very little for what we spent."

Yeah - Don't disagree on Bad Deals. I am simply saying we HAD/HAVE the Cap to have gotten those bad deals if we had wanted. There was NO constraint Cap wise into signing any FA.

Whether you SHOULD is an entirely different argument (and I bet we are probably decently in agreement on those type of issues)
Two side of the same coin. Theory on one side vs Reality or Practicality on the other. Flip the coin and follow that path?

From your viewpoint you're correct. There are far too many ways to create more cap than there are rules that say you can't and we should view this as intentional on the part of the NFL. But there are also many ways to do lots of things that will also be countered by should you do it that way. My only point is if you take the more aggressive path you'd better be prepared to show results and quickly or someone takes away your wallet and hides the checkbook and credit cards with no spending limit. LOL
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:00 am
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:48 am Nice set of posts there Bearfacts.

As per your thoughts on this we should explore it in terms of cash vs cap as well. The McCaskey's have long been willing to spend on winning yet we've seldom spent wisely. If there was a rock added to the scale of whether or not to keep Pace I would like to think his $$$ spending without any evidence-able return had to tip the scale toward letting him go.

Using only my own experience what I can relate is that when you go to the boss and ask him to expand your budget in term of cash and/or investment you'd better bring back results or you'll be freshening up your resume. And while available cap may be losing it's impact on roster building it's still a useful metric for some things.

In past years before Pace and Joey Laine took over and Cliff Stein was the Bears capologist and contract guy we tended to avoid significantly back loaded deals to also avoid getting in "cap hell" but with meteoric rises in the cap each teams began to worry far less about that counting on that ever increasing cap to cover their spending.

Then "Along Comes Mary......I mean Covid" requiring teams to brake hard and cast off some $$$ cap weight.

Now quite a few seem to have gone back to their previous approach banking on "going all in" being their road to the Super Bowl.
To the McCaskey's credit, they did green light the Cutler trade and the Mack trade. They've also stepped up and signed Julius Peppers for a huge deal (record setting? IDK) at the time. They allegedly were going to allow a Russell Wilson trade last year.

The problem though is that the McCaskey's hire milquetoast Yes Men and I think they think it's still 1985 where it's a defense driven league.

No one cares about Bears Football anymore. Bears Football is about as relevant to modern football as the musket is to modern warfare.

In regards to Pace....

He had six years. Yes he inherited a total mess from Emery and Fox was not his hire.

However in that time we have 0 playoff wins to show for it and that can't be allowed to slide. Then it was also the squandering of half a decades worth of first round draft picks.

Other than Roquan, who do we have to show for his first round picks of players that he drafted?

While all of us have talked about Mitch ad nauseum, it needs to be repeated. You can't be the guy that drafts Mitch when the other two QBs taken were Mahomes and Watson and expect to keep your job. Especially when you traded up the way Pace did for Mitch.
Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:52 am

To the McCaskey's credit, they did green light the Cutler trade and the Mack trade. They've also stepped up and signed Julius Peppers for a huge deal (record setting? IDK) at the time. They allegedly were going to allow a Russell Wilson trade last year.

The problem though is that the McCaskey's hire milquetoast Yes Men and I think they think it's still 1985 where it's a defense driven league.

No one cares about Bears Football anymore. Bears Football is about as relevant to modern football as the musket is to modern warfare.

In regards to Pace....

He had six years. Yes he inherited a total mess from Emery and Fox was not his hire.

However in that time we have 0 playoff wins to show for it and that can't be allowed to slide. Then it was also the squandering of half a decades worth of first round draft picks.

Other than Roquan, who do we have to show for his first round picks of players that he drafted?

While all of us have talked about Mitch ad nauseum, it needs to be repeated. You can't be the guy that drafts Mitch when the other two QBs taken were Mahomes and Watson and expect to keep your job. Especially when you traded up the way Pace did for Mitch.
Not a falsehood in the entire post.

The McCaskey curse for Bears Fans has been the blessing of their lifetime. They inherited a business in a protected monopoly and despite having zero knowledge of NFL football and how to successfully run their business they've somehow managed to now own a business worth over $4 billion worth in market value.

The God's work in mysterious ways.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:10 am
RichH55 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:37 am Yeah - Bearfacts - I don't mind what Poles has done so far - and have no issue with him being smart (I like it)

Two side of the same coin. Theory on one side vs Reality or Practicality on the other. Flip the coin and follow that path?

From your viewpoint you're correct. There are far too many ways to create more cap than there are rules that say you can't and we should view this as intentional on the part of the NFL. But there are also many ways to do lots of things that will also be countered by should you do it that way. My only point is if you take the more aggressive path you'd better be prepared to show results and quickly or someone takes away your wallet and hides the checkbook and credit cards with no spending limit. LOL
Not really.

AND my "minority" viewpoint is just math. We have loads of Cap Space. It's something like 110-120 Million in 2023. And that assuming Eddie Jackson and Quinn stay - which I don't think is assured.

If you sign a guy for 2 years 20 million fully guaranteed (No void years, or SB, just 2 and 20) - Does it particularly matter for the Cap if its 5 the first year and 15 the second v say 10 and 10? (*)

(*) Percentage of Cap Wise it might - though arguably pushing that to a year where the Cap increases isn't a bad thing for this measure

And this goes beyond the simple - Signing Bonuses on Big FA tend to be Large (players like guarantees) and those Are Prorated from the jump

BTW: Any guess as to what Armstead's Cap Hit is in Year 1?

Looks to be just under 4 million.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Some of the cap will go on Roquan obviously
Same for Monty if we’re going to keep him, I think we’ll probably let him go.

Having a ton of cap space is good, I think Poles is holding on to it until we’re in a position to exploit it to the full
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:14 am Some of the cap will go on Roquan obviously
Same for Monty if we’re going to keep him, I think we’ll probably let him go.

Having a ton of cap space is good, I think Poles is holding on to it until we’re in a position to exploit it to the full
And guys after their 3rd year (I THINK???) should be elegible for extensions too - so thats Mooney and J. Johnson too

Even then - extensions dont tend to be biggest cap hit the first year. 2023 has immense amounts of Cap. Just immense
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

This isn't even about the McCaskeys willingness to pay or not pay. Even to meet the Minimum spending required by the CBA the Bears will need to use all their available cap this year and next (and even then could fall short depending on where their 2023 draft value ends up). So while back-loading some deals in 2022 would necessitate some reduced spending in 2023, the total cash outlay isn't likely to change much either way. They're just pushing more to 2023, but we can basically expect that the 2024 and forward outlook looks the same within a pretty narrow range, if we assume the Bears actually meet the spending minimums through roster additions and extensions.

Basically its a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situation. Cash outlays are all that matters, and the floor is a huge weight almost certainly to lift them up over the next ~22 months. And really no matter when or how they spend it they're gonna spend it and it will reduce future cap flexibility/add future dead weight. The really only difference really is how much guaranteed payments are schedule for 2024/2025 time frame and how much goes towards extensions verse new roster additions.

Backloading is objectively nuetral at worst but IMO objectively a good thing. But you have to circle back to "available cap space is mostly useless" to close the loop on that theory and make it work.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Given this Bill, I'm wondering why we haven't gone ahead and extended Roquan, and even Monty. We need to spend the $$ and these are two guys that exemplify the style of play that Flus wants.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:35 pm Given this Bill, I'm wondering why we haven't gone ahead and extended Roquan, and even Monty. We need to spend the $$ and these are two guys that exemplify the style of play that Flus wants.

I think Mooney should be on this list too.

My guess - they want to see them when the bullets are flying in season - before the extensions.

But I think Mooney, Roquan, Montgomery, and J Johnson are targets for extensions - eat up some of this money
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:35 pm Given this Bill, I'm wondering why we haven't gone ahead and extended Roquan, and even Monty. We need to spend the $$ and these are two guys that exemplify the style of play that Flus wants.
Despite the odd fan infatuation, 2 of Montgomery's 3 seasons have been

outputs

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ntDa01.htm

3.7 & 3.8 ypc? Even with the good receiving numbers (which may or may not continue in the new offense), who does that most of the time and keeps on starting?

As everyone likes saying - maybe it's all Nagy's fault.
But handing him money before seeing how this season goes is a bad idea.
(And even then, I'm still nearly always voting against giving the HB money, anyway)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:49 pm

My guess - they want to see them when the bullets are flying in season - before the extensions.

But I think Mooney, Roquan, Montgomery, and J Johnson are targets for extensions - eat up some of this money
Mooney not eligible until next year.

It would be odd for either a Roquan or Montgomery extension to happen in preseason or even into the season. I don't think lack of those deals yet mean they aren't happening. Keep in mind there is sometimes a dance where one guy is waiting for someone else to set the market and then jump them.

I don't particularly want a DM extension. I'm okay letting those chips fall in offseason. Come 2023 if hes healthy and productive I think the Mixon and Jones deals are possibly acceptable templates to get a new deal done, but those aren't gonna add a lot to the $ because they were inherently lower risk deals without big guarantees.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Also for anyone else latching onto my cash argument my latest estimate (assuming basically status quo for 2022) has them needing to spend 145M in new cash before 2024, less whatever the 2023 rookie class costs (20-25M is a decent estimate).

So figure they really gotta spend 120M in new contracts before end of 2023. Some of that will be low salary, end of roster fodder spending. Some will be extensions and the rest probably FA.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:28 pm
RichH55 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:49 pm

Mooney not eligible until next year.

Yep - but eligible next offseason (after 3rd year in league) - Correct?

Thanks
Bearfacts
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:53 am
Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:10 am

Not really.

AND my "minority" viewpoint is just math. We have loads of Cap Space. It's something like 110-120 Million in 2023. And that assuming Eddie Jackson and Quinn stay - which I don't think is assured.

If you sign a guy for 2 years 20 million fully guaranteed (No void years, or SB, just 2 and 20) - Does it particularly matter for the Cap if its 5 the first year and 15 the second v say 10 and 10? (*)

(*) Percentage of Cap Wise it might - though arguably pushing that to a year where the Cap increases isn't a bad thing for this measure

And this goes beyond the simple - Signing Bonuses on Big FA tend to be Large (players like guarantees) and those Are Prorated from the jump

I'm not talking about two year deals. I'm talking about 3-5 years deals that are back-loaded and may also have void years. And whether it matters or not when the bigger cap number hits the books does seem to matter to Poles right now as far as wanting to keep his options open as far as who to keep around and who to move on from.

So in the current strategy that's enveloped the Bears front office it does seem to matter.....greatly.

Let's look at it more wholly and from Poles point of view because that's all that really matters.

If his plan is to build with younger players acquired via the draft and UDFA then he needs slots for those players to play as part of their development. If he has older vets on pricey deals with large cap hits who actually gets those snaps? It's not so much about not wanting any longer term deals it's more about limiting those for now and then deciding who to add and for how long this year and next.

For Poles and the Bears it actually is a theory vs practical deal so far this offseason.
Bearfacts
MVP

Quote: "If you sign a guy for 2 years 20 million fully guaranteed (No void years, or SB, just 2 and 20) - Does it particularly matter for the Cap if its 5 the first year and 15 the second v say 10 and 10? (*)

Yeah, it matters if that guy doesn't pan out and you're stuck with a $15 mil bill in year two you've guaranteed. You may believe you've solved a problem in 2022 when you really haven't and also created an even bigger $15 mil problem in 2023 haven't you?

It seems to me this is what Poles wants to avoid.
Bearfacts
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:43 am

This isn't even about the McCaskeys willingness to pay or not pay. Even to meet the Minimum spending required by the CBA the Bears will need to use all their available cap this year and next (and even then could fall short depending on where their 2023 draft value ends up). So while back-loading some deals in 2022 would necessitate some reduced spending in 2023, the total cash outlay isn't likely to change much either way. They're just pushing more to 2023, but we can basically expect that the 2024 and forward outlook looks the same within a pretty narrow range, if we assume the Bears actually meet the spending minimums through roster additions and extensions.

Basically its a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situation. Cash outlays are all that matters, and the floor is a huge weight almost certainly to lift them up over the next ~22 months. And really no matter when or how they spend it they're gonna spend it and it will reduce future cap flexibility/add future dead weight. The really only difference really is how much guaranteed payments are schedule for 2024/2025 time frame and how much goes towards extensions verse new roster additions.

Backloading is objectively nuetral at worst but IMO objectively a good thing. But you have to circle back to "available cap space is mostly useless" to close the loop on that theory and make it work.
It seems I may be missing some needed info here. Doesn't the CBA use a 4 year average for spending and by that I mean any team can under spend the minimum in a given year or two provide the average over 4 years is at or above the required minimum?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:09 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:43 am

It seems I may be missing some needed info here. Doesn't the CBA use a 4 year average for spending and by that I mean any team can under spend the minimum in a given year or two provide the average over 4 years is at or above the required minimum?
The latest CBA uses a combo of 4 and 3 year periods. Current one is three years 2021-23.

My high level estimate (using some projections)

Minimum =554
2021 spend =193
2022 spend =142
2023 current = 99 (incl a 21M estimate for rookie pool)

So 120M shortfall. Which is right around where their cap space should be, but I'm already exclusive of the rookie pool so they basically gotta overspend the cap. Technically it can happen after the 2023 season (before league year) and hit 2024 cap, but again, six to one, half a dozen. Money is money.

The only alternative is to cut a check which the players divvy up, but honestly I haven't gotten a clear handle if that would be cap exempt or not, but I lean towards that it would eventually be a cap adjustment (but would maybe hit as a 2025 adjustment). It's my goal to figure out this answer though.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:03 pm Quote: "If you sign a guy for 2 years 20 million fully guaranteed (No void years, or SB, just 2 and 20) - Does it particularly matter for the Cap if its 5 the first year and 15 the second v say 10 and 10? (*)

Yeah, it matters if that guy doesn't pan out and you're stuck with a $15 mil bill in year two you've guaranteed. You may believe you've solved a problem in 2022 when you really haven't and also created an even bigger $15 mil problem in 2023 haven't you?

It seems to me this is what Poles wants to avoid.
This is absolutely incorrect.

Your cap hit is the same under both scenarios.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:59 pm
RichH55 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:53 am

Not really.

I'm not talking about two year deals. I'm talking about 3-5 years deals that are back-loaded and may also have void years. And whether it matters or not when the bigger cap number hits the books does seem to matter to Poles right now as far as wanting to keep his options open as far as who to keep around and who to move on from.

So in the current strategy that's enveloped the Bears front office it does seem to matter.....greatly.

Let's look at it more wholly and from Poles point of view because that's all that really matters.

If his plan is to build with younger players acquired via the draft and UDFA then he needs slots for those players to play as part of their development. If he has older vets on pricey deals with large cap hits who actually gets those snaps? It's not so much about not wanting any longer term deals it's more about limiting those for now and then deciding who to add and for how long this year and next.

For Poles and the Bears it actually is a theory vs practical deal so far this offseason.

Again - not disagreeing as to what might be smart (and also again I have liked Poles approach to contracts generally)

I am simply noting that the Cap is not a constraint for this offseason

I'd rather me Michael than Fredo (we seem to agree there)

But there was no Cap constraints to signing literally any FA that Poles wanted this offseason - Do we agree on that point yet?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

This is a more complex conversation and I appreciate that but I just wanted to throw out there that all the “bill comes due” and “cap hell” stuff can be resolved in Fields’ 4th year if he turns out to be a bust. Poles should be spending his ass off this year so it’s all resolved in that tank year (2024) but he isn’t.
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:31 pm This is a more complex conversation and I appreciate that but I just wanted to throw out there that all the “bill comes due” and “cap hell” stuff can be resolved in Fields’ 4th year if he turns out to be a bust. Poles should be spending his ass off this year so it’s all resolved in that tank year (2024) but he isn’t.
It helps to have things worth spending on.

You want Kirk for 17 million a year? Cappa for 10?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

You deliberately choose two examples that would be unpopular choices but - yeah sure. They’re starting quality guys who can be cut in 2024 when you’re tanking for a 2025 rebuild.
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:40 am You deliberately choose two examples that would be unpopular choices but - yeah sure. They’re starting quality guys who can be cut in 2024 when you’re tanking for a 2025 rebuild.
Right, I do hate this style of posting. Rich I feel like your personal life coach right now. Could you maybe not do this? Picking the worst case example (Kirk’s deal IMO is a laughably bad deal for Jax), doesn’t address the point AT ALL. No one wanted that deal, but there were like 100 other players signed. Choosing the worst outlier deal out of those hundred to dismiss a point about the other 99 potential deals is simply a bad take. You get that one bad deal doesn’t have anything at all to do with another fair deal, right? You aren’t the only one that does it, but it is a “go to” move that you should retire.