This surprises me about Poles' plan

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:02 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:30 am '22 will be an evaluate and rebuild year. '23 will see an infusion of talent although I don't want to see the Bears overpaying in highly competitive FA bidding wars. '24 looks like it will be the year they start contending again.
I agree with pretty much all of that, except that I honestly think that if Poles does it right, they can contend in '23. That's a lot of projection, I know, and probably an even greater faith in the young players we already have--but that's where my head is at right now. I could be totally wrong about things, and the team crashes and burns...but I doubt that happens.
Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:13 am I'd also add that he and Flus want high effort guys. Players willing to go all out all game long to win. Is it more likely a guy playing for a new contract will put his effort into doing that or the guy who just got paid on his new deal? How many around here have been bitching about EJax NOT doing this after he got his big extension? Raise your hands......high now. Tough to see in such a large crowd. :taunt:
As far as I've seen in my brief time aboard, only me and @The Marshall Plan are the ones ripping Jackson. Bears fans tend to stick up for the guy and make excuses for him. I have no idea why.

But I don't see that situation as a widespread problem around the league. Jackson is sort of a glaring exception. I do understand why Poles is dolng out the contracts the way he is, but I think Pringle probably should have been signed to a better deal...
Correct.

I'm not at all impressed by EJax the past couple of years. I'm not a capologist so I have no idea what impact it would've had this year, but it wouldn't have bothered me if Poles launched EJax too.

Poles seems like a smart guy. I do wonder if he tried moving EJax this past offseason (seems like the perfect offseaon for it given the other moves) and there were no takers. That right there should tell you all you need to know.

It's also entirely likely the Brisker pick is a telegraphed move to give EJax a year's notice that he's gone after this season. If Brisker becomes what he's supposed to become we don't need them both.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m definitely an EJax apologist - mainly due to my belief that Pagano was going to be a train wreck and ruin him and a few other guys (Mack/Quinn in particular). So I wasn’t surprised at all when his turnover vanished as Pagano foolishly moved him out of position - tackling isn’t his strength, coverage/range is. Same with Mack and Quinn, he kept dropping those guys in coverage and trying to corner and LB blitz to create confusion - it never worked and our pressure/sacks plummeted. I predicted all of it immediately after we hired Pagano.

Last year he started poorly then played well I thought. And I think this system will really play to his strengths, so I’m hoping he recaptures that old turnover magic.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:02 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:30 am '22 will be an evaluate and rebuild year. '23 will see an infusion of talent although I don't want to see the Bears overpaying in highly competitive FA bidding wars. '24 looks like it will be the year they start contending again.
I agree with pretty much all of that, except that I honestly think that if Poles does it right, they can contend in '23. That's a lot of projection, I know, and probably an even greater faith in the young players we already have--but that's where my head is at right now. I could be totally wrong about things, and the team crashes and burns...but I doubt that happens.
Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:13 am I'd also add that he and Flus want high effort guys. Players willing to go all out all game long to win. Is it more likely a guy playing for a new contract will put his effort into doing that or the guy who just got paid on his new deal? How many around here have been bitching about EJax NOT doing this after he got his big extension? Raise your hands......high now. Tough to see in such a large crowd. :taunt:
As far as I've seen in my brief time aboard, only me and @The Marshall Plan are the ones ripping Jackson. Bears fans tend to stick up for the guy and make excuses for him. I have no idea why.

But I don't see that situation as a widespread problem around the league. Jackson is sort of a glaring exception. I do understand why Poles is dolng out the contracts the way he is, but I think Pringle probably should have been signed to a better deal...
I'm not discounting the Bears competing in '23. We will see how well Poles' talent evaluations go.

Ejax is not the thumper, in-the-box safety, he does better roaming. Of course, as soon as the Bears extended him, they totally changed the scope of his role into one he's not good at. Brisker will be that thumper so I'm optimistic Ejax can return to better play.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:24 pm
I'm not discounting the Bears competing in '23. We will see how well Poles' talent evaluations go.

:clap:

Break out year for EJax in the Flus defense.
All about the HITS :headbang:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Brisker as his wingman should help too.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 pm

That could entirely happen and @dplank makes a really good point in that yeah Pagano fucked things up and, IIRC, Plank said from Day One that Pagano was going to be a train wreck.

Flus's deal is pretty easy to understand. You need to work your ass off, produce, and adhere to his system or you're just not going to fucking play.

Now Flus comes off like a nice guy, but at the same time this isn't McNagy trying to be everybody's friend except for Mitch.

It's all going to depend on EJax's head. Fangio made EJax look like a future HOF'er. What does EJax want? The Lambo and the Hoes or does he want to be remembered as a great football player?

I don't think Flus wants the people who are focused on the Lambo and the Hoes.
Bearfacts
MVP

I may be wrong here but I'm looking at the deal with Jaylon Johnson as a good example of how Flus coaches. JJ missed an earlier OTA in which the new scheme was explained and installed. Now JJ is behind Vildor on the depth chart until he learns the scheme and plays it like Flus wants it played. Flus is challenging him like he will challenge anyone whom he believes needs it.
IE
Hall of Famer

i haven't given up on EJax either - although the cost bothers me and he needs to prove his high replacement level pretty darn quick now.

My personal take is he CAN do what he did there for a short while - but he has to still have the precontract desire, and like Plank said be put into a better position. If Flus and Williams are what they seem to be, Eddie is not going to be able to phone it in like some speculate he has since he's been paid. It seems like we're going to learn quite a bit about a few players pretty quickly.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Ejax needs to be more like he was in '18 with 6 INTS. He was badly used as the in-the-box safety, Brisker will be that guy and hopefully be the new Mike Brown thumper.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:59 am I may be wrong here but I'm looking at the deal with Jaylon Johnson as a good example of how Flus coaches. JJ missed an earlier OTA in which the new scheme was explained and installed. Now JJ is behind Vildor on the depth chart until he learns the scheme and plays it like Flus wants it played. Flus is challenging him like he will challenge anyone whom he believes needs it.
Actually, I think Graham is playing with the first string now, isn't he?

Either way, you're getting my point. There's a very good chance one of the new safeties outplays Jackson very soon, and Eberflus won't hesitate to make a change. Flus doesn't give a shit how much Ryan Pace decided to pay Jackson. He wants results on the field, unlike Nagy who...well I have no idea what Nagy wanted. Guys to like him? To make Pace look good?
Grizzled wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:26 am Ejax needs to be more like he was in '18 with 6 INTS. He was badly used as the in-the-box safety, Brisker will be that guy and hopefully be the new Mike Brown thumper.
I think Brisker can fill whatever role they see fit to put him in. Hopefully Flus and Williams will do a scheme where the safeties are kind of interchangeable, like we're seeing more of nowadays. As far as Jackson goes--I'm not even pining for the interceptions. I just want him to cover and tackle. He's been very bad at those things for quite some time now.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:26 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:59 am I may be wrong here but I'm looking at the deal with Jaylon Johnson as a good example of how Flus coaches. JJ missed an earlier OTA in which the new scheme was explained and installed. Now JJ is behind Vildor on the depth chart until he learns the scheme and plays it like Flus wants it played. Flus is challenging him like he will challenge anyone whom he believes needs it.

Either way, you're getting my point. There's a very good chance one of the new safeties outplays Jackson very soon, and Eberflus won't hesitate to make a change. Flus doesn't give a shit how much Ryan Pace decided to pay Jackson. He wants results on the field, unlike Nagy who...well I have no idea what Nagy wanted. Guys to like him? To make Pace look good?
Grizzled wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:26 am Ejax needs to be more like he was in '18 with 6 INTS. He was badly used as the in-the-box safety, Brisker will be that guy and hopefully be the new Mike Brown thumper.
I think Brisker can fill whatever role they see fit to put him in. Hopefully Flus and Williams will do a scheme where the safeties are kind of interchangeable, like we're seeing more of nowadays. As far as Jackson goes--I'm not even pining for the interceptions. I just want him to cover and tackle. He's been very bad at those things for quite some time now.
Whatever you'd like to bet on EJax not being our Week 1 starter - I'm in. It's an open offer that expires at the start of training camp.
Bearfacts
MVP

Flus wiped EJax slate clean so what he can do from this point forward is all that will matter. But given both his ascending cap hit and his ascending age (30 this year) he's gonna have to show the EJax of old can still play centerfield is this defense and produce. I won't hold him responsible for what he hasn't done since Fangio left because Pagano didn't use him in the same way and Desai never corrected that either. But any excuses we can use for his under performance are now gone. It's time to step up.
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:32 pm
Graham has been competing for the Slot CB position lately. Vildor has been playing CB with the 1st string.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:32 pm Whatever you'd like to bet on EJax not being our Week 1 starter - I'm in. It's an open offer that expires at the start of training camp.
That would be just a guess then, no? If we had no idea how the depth chart is shaping up?

I may still do it. I'll think about it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:05 pm Flus wiped EJax slate clean so what he can do from this point forward is all that will matter. But given both his ascending cap hit and his ascending age (30 this year) he's gonna have to show the EJax of old can still play centerfield is this defense and produce.
Jackson turns 29 in December. This season will be his sixth. There's still plenty of wear left on the tyres if his heart is in it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:50 pm
dplank wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:32 pm Whatever you'd like to bet on EJax not being our Week 1 starter - I'm in. It's an open offer that expires at the start of training camp.
That would be just a guess then, no? If we had no idea how the depth chart is shaping up?

I may still do it. I'll think about it.
K no pressure - yea it’s a guess. Nothing is certain, but odds seem greatly in favor of it.
Heinz D.
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:36 pm Jackson turns 29 in December. This season will be his sixth. There's still plenty of wear left on the tyres if his heart is in it.
Not much wiggle room at something like $14 mil/year, though. Agree with that?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Well, I won't miss Eddie Jackson if he's on the way out.

I'm not asking for a Doug Plank or a Gary Fencik but some of Jackson's missed tackles were absolutely putrid.

It's flat-out nauseating when you see a DB doing that kind of shit in a Bears uniform, imho.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
IE
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:36 pm Well, I won't miss Eddie Jackson if he's on the way out.

I'm not asking for a Doug Plank or a Gary Fencik but some of Jackson's missed tackles were absolutely putrid.

It's flat-out nauseating when you see a DB doing that kind of shit in a Bears uniform, imho.
Yeah - he's going to have to be more consistent, play tougher and prove that he's head and shoulders above other options to still be on the team next year. This year is a lock, basically. They need him and plus a clean slate and scheme change might bring out a new Eddie (or the old one). But if he isn't thriving in the new system AND proving he's superior to the other options to justify his cost, it is probably his last year as a Bear.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm not going to be surprised if Poles doesn't go after big name/$ free agents in '23, preferring to build through the draft and 2nd tier guys. Seems to be the Bellichick method to success save and excepting last year when the Pats spent really big on FAs. But they're the team who also trades guys a year before they're eligible for big dollar contracts so will Poles adopt that also?
Bearfacts
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:36 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:05 pm Flus wiped EJax slate clean so what he can do from this point forward is all that will matter. But given both his ascending cap hit and his ascending age (30 this year) he's gonna have to show the EJax of old can still play centerfield is this defense and produce.
Jackson turns 29 in December. This season will be his sixth. There's still plenty of wear left on the tyres if his heart is in it.
You're right. Spotrac had him at 30 this year. Should have confirmed that elsewhere. My bad. :ashamed:
dave99
Assistant Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:20 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:36 pm
You're right. Spotrac had him at 30 this year. Should have confirmed that elsewhere. My bad. :ashamed:
Jackson's career year was 2018 ( 6 interceptions, 2 TD's 2 FF, 15 PD's) he had a very good partner in Amos and an outstanding DC in Fangio.
I remember a video Kollmann did in 18 that raved about how Jackson's great range and how he was deployed made him the "most dangerous safety in the NFL"
When Pagno took over,, Jackson's production dropped off ( as did almost everyone, hat tip to Dplank for being way ahead of that curve)
There was some hope that Desai could bring him back to life because he was supposed to be a Fangio disciple.
Now we have a new HC with good DC credentials. He may not be Fangio (who is?) but he does seem to understand that he needs to put his players in a position to succeed.
Teaming him with Brisker and a real DC in a scheme that plays to his strengths might make a world of difference.
He will probably never be a good tackler, but if he can ring up a few interceptions and PD's, he could earn his keep.

The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Bearfacts
MVP

I don't think there's any question that 2022 for EJax is almost like being on a one year deal. In 2023 his dead cap drop from $24.56 mil to $9.57 mil against a 2023 salary of $13 mil. Cap savings would be significant if he was released or possibly traded.

By drafting Brisker to team him with Poles seems to have created a situation more similar to what Jackson enjoyed when he was playing with Adrian Amos which should allow Flus to deploy him more like Vic Fangio did but will that be enough?
IE
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:56 am I don't think there's any question that 2022 for EJax is almost like being on a one year deal. In 2023 his dead cap drop from $24.56 mil to $9.57 mil against a 2023 salary of $13 mil. Cap savings would be significant if he was released or possibly traded.

By drafting Brisker to team him with Poles seems to have created a situation more similar to what Jackson enjoyed when he was playing with Adrian Amos which should allow Flus to deploy him more like Vic Fangio did but will that be enough?
Are we sure Brisker and Cruik isn't the better pairing? Asking for a friend. :D
Bearfacts
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:14 am
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:56 am I don't think there's any question that 2022 for EJax is almost like being on a one year deal. In 2023 his dead cap drop from $24.56 mil to $9.57 mil against a 2023 salary of $13 mil. Cap savings would be significant if he was released or possibly traded.

Are we sure Brisker and Cruik isn't the better pairing? Asking for a friend. :D
Tell your friend to have some patience. ;) EJax will get his shot at redemption this year and he'd better make the most of it.

I think Cruikshank is mainly for depth and ST. There's nothing in his career so far to indicate he's a starting caliber SS.
Heinz D.
MVP

pus wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:36 pm Well, I won't miss Eddie Jackson if he's on the way out.

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:18 am Tell your friend to have some patience. ;) EJax will get his shot at redemption this year and he'd better make the most of it.
Seen two different things online, guys reporting on the OTAs...and they're detailing how Jackson is working his ass off! Really giving it his all! Trying to help out the rookies whenever he can!

P.O.S. has finally got reality beaten into him, and he sees the writing on the wall. And as I've said---I don't even know just how good he was in the first place. I'm sure Poles tried to trade him, and got no takers. Odds are, Jackson is not long for this team, nor should he be.

This will be interesting...
Heinz D.
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:14 am Are we sure Brisker and Cruik isn't the better pairing? Asking for a friend. :D
It most likely is. Brisker and Elijah Hicks might be better as well.
IE
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:49 pm
IE wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:14 am Are we sure Brisker and Cruik isn't the better pairing? Asking for a friend. :D
It most likely is. Brisker and Elijah Hicks might be better as well.
Don't get me even more delusional. I mean *optimistic*. :D
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:45 pm

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:18 am Tell your friend to have some patience. ;) EJax will get his shot at redemption this year and he'd better make the most of it.
Seen two different things online, guys reporting on the OTAs...and they're detailing how Jackson is working his ass off! Really giving it his all! Trying to help out the rookies whenever he can!

P.O.S. has finally got reality beaten into him, and he sees the writing on the wall. And as I've said---I don't even know just how good he was in the first place. I'm sure Poles tried to trade him, and got no takers. Odds are, Jackson is not long for this team, nor should he be.

This will be interesting...
Wow. You and pus have soured far more on EJax than I have.

IMHO blaming the guy for not being a "banger" type at Safety isn't fairly recognizing that he was never drafted to play as a SS to begin with yet for several years he's been playing that as much or more than he did as the wide ranging "centerfielder" he was under Fangio.

Should he still have been a better tackler? Sure, but how much better? Can anyone put some numbers to it? To be honest I think more of us are disturbed by his lack of creating turnovers since that''s what got him his $58 mil extension but I can also accept that he was not exactly put in the best of positions to accomplish that.

Losing Adrian Amos as EJax playing partner ended up as subtraction by subtraction. To replace Amos Pace actually signed two former FS not in the box "bangers" like Amos so EJax became somewhat of a utility DB used more often out of his usual role than in it. He knows what's at stake as far as his career in Chicago is concerned. He either steps up and steps back into a role that will allow him shots at turnovers and produces them or he's not gonna survive a $17 mil 2023 cap hit. Let's see how he does.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:22 pm Wow. You and pus have soured far more on EJax than I have.

IMHO blaming the guy for not being a "banger" type at Safety isn't fairly recognizing that he was never drafted to play as a SS to begin with yet for several years he's been playing that as much or more than he did as the wide ranging "centerfielder" he was under Fangio.

Should he still have been a better tackler? Sure, but how much better? Can anyone put some numbers to it? To be honest I think more of us are disturbed by his lack of creating turnovers since that''s what got him his $58 mil extension but I can also accept that he was not exactly put in the best of positions to accomplish that.
So...now you and I are where Madmike and I were, on the other forum? Jackson can't cover, and he can't tackle, but otherwise he's a good safety? :D

I don't care about the interceptions so much, as that can't be replicated year in and year out by a safety.

I'll break down the final Vikings game, when I have more time. It was unacceptable play from a starter.