USFL season starts this weekend

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Had no idea there was another spring league out there but apparently there is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... gue_(2022)
https://www.insider.com/usfl-teams-head ... who-2022-4

And here's some of the rule differences between the NFL and the USFL:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/us ... ar-AAWfeOC
Xee
Site Admin

docc
Head Coach

Love it ! FOOTBALL in APRIL !!! And decent games..some guys may get to the Bigs..

95* here and football on Easter waiting for the Ham to cook ..
Satterfield...
Me likey..
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I watched a couple of the games and thought it was pretty decent competition and the games were actually watchable

hope this time the league sticks around ... then with the XFL coming back in 2023, we could have football year round
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

What I find interesting is that, unlike the prior incarnation, this league seems to be more of a feeder league than a competitor. Mike Pereira is the USFL head of officiating said as much about the officials in the USFL, saying that it "benefits the NFL by providing professional game experience for those who are just a step away from working Sundays in the fall. In fact, I expect several officials calling USFL games this spring to officiate in the NFL later this year.”

If this turns out to be true, it will be a great way for undrafted players to get some experience and still get a shot at the NFL, rather than having to go to an arena league or CFL.

And I know this is a stretch of the imagination, but if this is successful and the number of teams grows, I wonder if high school graduates will elect to join up rather than go to college since this allows them to get a check ($45k if they make the active roster and $15k if they make the practice squad) and be able to focus exclusively on their craft.
dplank
Hall of Famer

:?
Xee wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:22 pm What I find interesting is that, unlike the prior incarnation, this league seems to be more of a feeder league than a competitor. Mike Pereira is the USFL head of officiating said as much about the officials in the USFL, saying that it "benefits the NFL by providing professional game experience for those who are just a step away from working Sundays in the fall. In fact, I expect several officials calling USFL games this spring to officiate in the NFL later this year.”

If this turns out to be true, it will be a great way for undrafted players to get some experience and still get a shot at the NFL, rather than having to go to an arena league or CFL.

And I know this is a stretch of the imagination, but if this is successful and the number of teams grows, I wonder if high school graduates will elect to join up rather than go to college since this allows them to get a check ($45k if they make the active roster and $15k if they make the practice squad) and be able to focus exclusively on their craft.
What are their rules on taunting? 8-)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:22 pm What I find interesting is that, unlike the prior incarnation, this league seems to be more of a feeder league than a competitor. Mike Pereira is the USFL head of officiating said as much about the officials in the USFL, saying that it "benefits the NFL by providing professional game experience for those who are just a step away from working Sundays in the fall. In fact, I expect several officials calling USFL games this spring to officiate in the NFL later this year.”

I'd love to see the college system undermined and replaced.
But I don't see even promising 18 yos being able to compete with a 25yo almost NFL player.
Something with a narrower age range maybe could siphon young talent.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
docc
Head Coach

What are their rules on taunting? 8-)
XFL..Taunting is mandatory of course..