Minicamp observations

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

We're already on day 2 of 3 but I figured I'd post some observations from today:

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Interesting that Jackson was there because he was one of the players the Sun Times reported as being absent on the first day (along with Jaylon Johnson, Robert Quinn, Mario Edwards and Nick Foles).
Xee
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:30 pm Interesting that Jackson was there because he was one of the players the Sun Times reported as being absent on the first day (along with Jaylon Johnson, Robert Quinn, Mario Edwards and Nick Foles).
Yeah, it raised eyebrows on the first day because he's not exactly safe like other veterans. Glad to see he's here.
dplank
Hall of Famer

That tweet from Cronin is cringe tho. Finishing well? Has a good set of hands on him? Vision was good in coverage? Cmon, a bit much
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:05 pm That tweet from Cronin is cringe tho. Finishing well? Has a good set of hands on him? Vision was good in coverage? Cmon, a bit much
Cause you dislike Eddie? Cmon

Most quotes and minicamp stuff doesnt matter generally .....but it doesnt matter simply because you dont like Eddie
Bearfacts
MVP

Mark Grote
@markgrotesports
For the second straight day in Bears voluntary mini camp, Teven Jenkins was playing right tackle, while Larry Borom was at left tackle. Bears HC Matt Eberflus says there is significance in the fact that they are getting the first crack at those positions.

Is the significance because Poles plans to draft a LT and/or sign a vet LT post draft? Or does it have to do with a feeling that Jenkins at RT will do far more for the running game than having him at LT and Borom at RT? If what's been said about Poles not being all that excited about Borom is that one of the reasons? He doesn't fit well as a RT in a wide zone scheme?
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:51 pm
dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:05 pm That tweet from Cronin is cringe tho. Finishing well? Has a good set of hands on him? Vision was good in coverage? Cmon, a bit much

Most quotes and minicamp stuff doesnt matter generally .....but it doesnt matter simply because you dont like Eddie
No, I love Eddie actually. This looked like a writer who knows nothing about football trying to convince someone they are a football scout. About the writer, not about the player at all.

Mini camp stuff, just report factual things like who showed up, who played where, etc. Save the scouting reports for when the real practices start. She’s trying too hard.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:56 pm Mark Grote
@markgrotesports
For the second straight day in Bears voluntary mini camp, Teven Jenkins was playing right tackle, while Larry Borom was at left tackle. Bears HC Matt Eberflus says there is significance in the fact that they are getting the first crack at those positions.

Is the significance because Poles plans to draft a LT and/or sign a vet LT post draft? Or does it have to do with a feeling that Jenkins at RT will do far more for the running game than having him at LT and Borom at RT? If what's been said about Poles not being all that excited about Borom is that one of the reasons? He doesn't fit well as a RT in a wide zone scheme?
I would guess that it's their guess at best fit with them.

Jenkins was RT all through college and only played LT for a tiny bit of last year
Borom was too - but then he played well at LT last year and sucked while at RT, so...
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The guote was Flus' words, not Cronin's.
But, yes, it's just meaningless talking a player up.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

@markgrotesports

Seems pretty obvious to me that RG needs addressed in the worst way. Mustipher has never played there and is very smart but lacks strength and he's the starter? Sure, you could draft an OT and move Borom there--or you could draft an OT and throw him in at OG as a rookie. Part of me thinks you could draft a starting OG type in R2 for instant interior reinforcement and then find a swing backup OT post-draft.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I'll be interested to hear what kind of shape these OL dudes are in.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:33 am
@markgrotesports

Seems pretty obvious to me that RG needs addressed in the worst way. Mustipher has never played there and is very smart but lacks strength and he's the starter? Sure, you could draft an OT and move Borom there--or you could draft an OT and throw him in at OG as a rookie. Part of me thinks you could draft a starting OG type in R2 for instant interior reinforcement and then find a swing backup OT post-draft.
Yea, OG is a position where I'd feel pretty confident that we can draft a plug and play starter in the 2nd round. Then I'd sign an Eric Fisher or some vet like that to bolter the T position and let the chips fall where they may during camp competition. As frustrated as I've been with Poles off season thus far, I fully recognize that he's just two quality moves away from me being completely satisfied with it - I just want to see him do those moves. Being a sprained ankle away from Simmons starting at T on Sunday's is not acceptable.
Z Bear
MVP

The problem with wanting to draft a OG in the 2nd round is there are really no OGs with 2nd round grades. The top two (Kenyon Green and Zion Johnson) most-likely will not make it out of the first round and then there is a big gap to the third round until the next batch (Sean Rhyan, Jamaree Salyer, Dylan Parham, Ed Ingram). WR and DT are the best options for the 2nd round with the way the mock drafts have been looking.

I tink this is hte best place to get a true idea of player rankings. They take the data from pretty much any rankings you can find online and average them together. It pretty much illustraes my point as they have Green ranked 28th then the next OG is Salyer at 74th.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/bi ... 22?pos=ALL
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

While Jenkins has been getting the reps at RT (and Borom at LT), Flus has still said he's going to move them to different positions. I'm assuming he means when training camp begins. I'd like to see Jenkins take all the RT reps to get his as familiar as possible with the position. Depending on the draft, I can see Borom taking snaps at LT and RG.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:10 am The problem with wanting to draft a OG in the 2nd round is there are really no OGs with 2nd round grades. The top two (Kenyon Green and Zion Johnson) most-likely will not make it out of the first round and then there is a big gap to the third round until the next batch (Sean Rhyan, Jamaree Salyer, Dylan Parham, Ed Ingram). WR and DT are the best options for the 2nd round with the way the mock drafts have been looking.

I tink this is hte best place to get a true idea of player rankings. They take the data from pretty much any rankings you can find online and average them together. It pretty much illustraes my point as they have Green ranked 28th then the next OG is Salyer at 74th.

You're generally right about scarcity of R2 guards (I'm fairly confident Green will last into R2, but still don't like the value there at all), but still Parham, Strange, and probably Tom are all considerably better options than Dozier or Mustipher.

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:18 am
@markgrotesports

I would guess that it's their guess at best fit with them.

Jenkins was RT all through college and only played LT for a tiny bit of last year
Borom was too - but then he played well at LT last year and sucked while at RT, so...
Borom apparently played left tackle and left guard in college, so I think it’s about trying them out in spots they have the most experience in.

I can’t imagine their plan is really to have Borom at left tackle though, so I would imagine they’ll draft someone or bring in a veteran (or maybe both) to compete for the starting job.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Z Bear wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:10 am The problem with wanting to draft a OG in the 2nd round is there are really no OGs with 2nd round grades. The top two (Kenyon Green and Zion Johnson) most-likely will not make it out of the first round and then there is a big gap to the third round until the next batch (Sean Rhyan, Jamaree Salyer, Dylan Parham, Ed Ingram). WR and DT are the best options for the 2nd round with the way the mock drafts have been looking.

Some people don’t think Cole Strange makes it out of the second:

dave99
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:01 am

You're generally right about scarcity of R2 guards (I'm fairly confident Green will last into R2, but still don't like the value there at all), but still Parham, Strange, and probably Tom are all considerably better options than Dozier or Mustipher.
Most have Sean Rhyan penciled in at guard and he could be very good.
Draft projections put him at 2nd or 3rd round.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:00 am

No, I love Eddie actually. This looked like a writer who knows nothing about football trying to convince someone they are a football scout. About the writer, not about the player at all.

Mini camp stuff, just report factual things like who showed up, who played where, etc. Save the scouting reports for when the real practices start. She’s trying too hard.
Fair enough - thank you for clarification
RichH55
Hall of Famer

What about some Tackle types that could start out at Guard as a Rookie?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

For what it’s worth, didn’t Thayer say last year at the start of camp that Borom was our LT of the future? That May a bit of a stretch on what he said, but it seems like I recall he was very high on him taking on that role.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:53 am

Most have Sean Rhyan penciled in at guard and he could be very good.
Draft projections put him at 2nd or 3rd round.
I'd be interested in him in some schemes, but I'm kinda down on him having the agility they seem to want here (excepting Dozier, who is still completely mystifying).

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:00 am
dplank wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:00 am

Nope it's still weird. Cronin tweets a direct quote and somehow that leads to "that reporter doesn't know football". Did you want her to follow-up with a scouting take? wtf
xyt in the discord chats
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:10 am For what it’s worth, didn’t Thayer say last year at the start of camp that Borom was our LT of the future? That May a bit of a stretch on what he said, but it seems like I recall he was very high on him taking on that role.
Thayer was very excited about Borom last year, calling him a steal with a very high ceiling and saying Borom should be LT with Jenkins at RT

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... rry-borom/

wouldn't it be a hoot if the Bears have their 2 tackles already in the fold? that Borom and Jenkins blossom into their roles? we can always hope, right?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

It would be consistent with the previous era if
1. Pace found a mid-round gem
2. Nagy failed to put him in the position to succeed
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It used to be that they wouldn't put really tall, rangy guys inside at G. Now people will put nearly anyone there. Kyle Long was 6'6+, for example.

So, I would say nearly any T could conceivably be played there for a year, then moved out.
Given Poles' earlier comments, though, it seems like they want to find a guy's position and not move them around, unless they have to, because he just can't play the position they tried first.

But if you really wanted to do that and you narrow yourself down to:
  • Has the athleticism they seem to want
  • Could be a solid starter at G
  • Have a serious chance to start at T after that
  • Will be there at 39+
I'd say
Braxton Jones, maybe.
Zach Thomas
Tyler Smith
Nick Petit-Frere

dplank
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:28 am

Nope it's still weird. Cronin tweets a direct quote and somehow that leads to "that reporter doesn't know football". Did you want her to follow-up with a scouting take? wtf
Actually you’re right. I completely missed the quote part and thought it was the reporters observation - I stand corrected
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:33 pm

It used to be that they wouldn't put really tall, rangy guys inside at G. Now people will put nearly anyone there. Kyle Long was 6'6+, for example.

So, I would say nearly any T could conceivably be played there for a year, then moved out.
Given Poles' earlier comments, though, it seems like they want to find a guy's position and not move them around, unless they have to, because he just can't play the position they tried first.

But if you really wanted to do that and you narrow yourself down to:
  • Has the athleticism they seem to want
  • Could be a solid starter at G
  • Have a serious chance to start at T after that
  • Will be there at 39+
I'd say
Braxton Jones, maybe.
Zach Thomas
Tyler Smith
Nick Petit-Frere
Rasheed Walker and (maybe) Abe Lucas and Spencer Burford fit the athletic/might stick at T profile too. (Also perhaps Tristen Taylor and Tanner owen, based solely on their testing numbers — I've not seen any Eastern Washington or Northwest Missouri St tape, though; and D2 guys rarely have enough strength to play right away.)

But yeah, the pool is pretty small.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
LacertineForest
MVP

Such a long way to go yet, but my gut is not feeling great about Fields, on the whole. Really hope he proves me wrong. Lots of time, lots of chances, and lots of reasons he can/will succeed. Have to be patient, but that Bears PTSD is hard to ignore.
Xee
Site Admin

This was supposedly the reason Fields didn't look particularly sharp.