Minicamp observations

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

spudbear
MVP

The plan should be giving Fields good protection. Drafting an LT at 38 to start would not be wise. You may get an occasional top ten pick at LT to start and do OK.

If mistakes are learning opportunities then the Bears have already had plenty of that last season. Maybe they learned of an opportunity to start from scratch (again). I hope the first quarter of the regular season does not have the Bears playing top defenses as the offense will need some time to get it right.
Xee wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:16 pm
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:46 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:28 am

Nope it's still weird. Cronin tweets a direct quote and somehow that leads to "that reporter doesn't know football". Did you want her to follow-up with a scouting take? wtf
Actually you’re right. I completely missed the quote part and thought it was the reporters observation - I stand corrected
I'll have none of that mister!!!!! You double down on what you said!!!!

Saying you were wrong when someone points something out you missed?!?!?!? What kind of crap is that!!!! :welcome: :evilgrin: :welcome: :evilgrin:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:33 pm
RichH55 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:00 am

What about some Tackle types that could start out at Guard as a Rookie?
It used to be that they wouldn't put really tall, rangy guys inside at G. Now people will put nearly anyone there. Kyle Long was 6'6+, for example.

So, I would say nearly any T could conceivably be played there for a year, then moved out.
Given Poles' earlier comments, though, it seems like they want to find a guy's position and not move them around, unless they have to, because he just can't play the position they tried first.

But if you really wanted to do that and you narrow yourself down to:
  • Has the athleticism they seem to want
  • Could be a solid starter at G
  • Have a serious chance to start at T after that
  • Will be there at 39+
I'd say
Braxton Jones, maybe.
Zach Thomas
Tyler Smith
Nick Petit-Frere
Are you saying you think Smith and Petit-Frere should start at OG for a year or so before they kick out to OT, or just that they could. Those are 2 guys i've generally thought have what it take to start at OT and think they should.

I'm really have no idea what I think this team needs to do as we saw so little for Jenkins and Borom last year. My gut wants me to think they can handle the two OT spots and we need to get a mean nasty SOB to fill in at RG before we look at an OT. But that sure seem like a risky move and I then tell myself get a guy to play OT and it will sort itself out.

I think at the end of the day, if there is a guy they truly feel can be a LT in the NFL that when they are picking and the the decision is to go OL, that has to be the pick. Hedge your bets on fixing that problem and the loser can shift inside (or better yet get an iOL in the later rounds as well).

They just can't pull a Pace. "O-linemen, we don't need no stinkin' O-linemen."

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:18 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:33 pm

It used to be that they wouldn't put really tall, rangy guys inside at G. Now people will put nearly anyone there. Kyle Long was 6'6+, for example.

So, I would say nearly any T could conceivably be played there for a year, then moved out.
Given Poles' earlier comments, though, it seems like they want to find a guy's position and not move them around, unless they have to, because he just can't play the position they tried first.

But if you really wanted to do that and you narrow yourself down to:
  • Has the athleticism they seem to want
  • Could be a solid starter at G
  • Have a serious chance to start at T after that
  • Will be there at 39+
I'd say
Braxton Jones, maybe.
Zach Thomas
Tyler Smith
Nick Petit-Frere
Are you saying you think Smith and Petit-Frere should start at OG for a year or so before they kick out to OT, or just that they could. Those are 2 guys i've generally thought have what it take to start at OT and think they should.

I'm really have no idea what I think this team needs to do as we saw so little for Jenkins and Borom last year. My gut wants me to think they can handle the two OT spots and we need to get a mean nasty SOB to fill in at RG before we look at an OT. But that sure seem like a risky move and I then tell myself get a guy to play OT and it will sort itself out.

I think at the end of the day, if there is a guy they truly feel can be a LT in the NFL that when they are picking and the the decision is to go OL, that has to be the pick. Hedge your bets on fixing that problem and the loser can shift inside (or better yet get an iOL in the later rounds as well).

Could.
I'm definitely not fond of going that way.

Ideally, I think you would draft a primarily T prospect, G, and C (3 guys, maybe even a 4th - see my last sim draft) and add a cheap, healthy veteran T and maybe even a cheap, healthy veteran G, too. So 4-5 additions to Borom, Jenkins, Whitehair, Patrick.

I don't think there's going to be a "we feel good about him as a LT" guy going to still be around by 39. Tyler Smith is a maybe on both counts and that's about it.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:06 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:46 pm

Actually you’re right. I completely missed the quote part and thought it was the reporters observation - I stand corrected
I'll have none of that mister!!!!! You double down on what you said!!!!

Saying you were wrong when someone points something out you missed?!?!?!? What kind of crap is that!!!! :welcome: :evilgrin: :welcome: :evilgrin:
:rofl: :rofl:
Xee
Site Admin

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:27 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:18 pm

Could.
I'm definitely not fond of going that way.

Ideally, I think you would draft a primarily T prospect, G, and C (3 guys, maybe even a 4th - see my last sim draft) and add a cheap, healthy veteran T and maybe even a cheap, healthy veteran G, too. So 4-5 additions to Borom, Jenkins, Whitehair, Patrick.

I don't think there's going to be a "we feel good about him as a LT" guy going to still be around by 39. Tyler Smith is a maybe on both counts and that's about it.
Smith is a guy I’ve like for awhile and starting to think more and more he would be a good pick for us in the second and could win the starting LT job. Early on I didn’t like Petit-Frere early on (could be my OSU hatred) but he’s a guy I also think could start at LT right away. Concerns, yes. As you point out most LT that start right away we’re drafted far before our first pick.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I actually really like Petit-Frere depending on what your plan is. Hes not the mauler type. Hes great at mirroring and can nudge guys left or right. He reminds me a lot of Johnathan Martin. If you're are team that's okay with that your fine with him. In this scheme you can get away with it, as long as you have enough in the middle.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Bernhard Raimann might be there at 39 and is probably the closet thing to a plug and play LT within their reach.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Bearfacts
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:33 am
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:56 pm Mark Grote
@markgrotesports
For the second straight day in Bears voluntary mini camp, Teven Jenkins was playing right tackle, while Larry Borom was at left tackle. Bears HC Matt Eberflus says there is significance in the fact that they are getting the first crack at those positions.

Is the significance because Poles plans to draft a LT and/or sign a vet LT post draft? Or does it have to do with a feeling that Jenkins at RT will do far more for the running game than having him at LT and Borom at RT? If what's been said about Poles not being all that excited about Borom is that one of the reasons? He doesn't fit well as a RT in a wide zone scheme?
Seems pretty obvious to me that RG needs addressed in the worst way. Mustipher has never played there and is very smart but lacks strength and he's the starter? Sure, you could draft an OT and move Borom there--or you could draft an OT and throw him in at OG as a rookie. Part of me thinks you could draft a starting OG type in R2 for instant interior reinforcement and then find a swing backup OT post-draft.
I would be very surprised if Poles didn't draft an OG on Day 2 and also an OT capable of eventually playing LT on Day 3.