Byron Pringle Arrested for Reckless Driving

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:41 am Wonder if the reaction would be different if the original report just simply stated his actual charges, reckless driving and driving on suspended license. Not as eye catching, but maybe there would be a lot more measured takes from that. Then he gets a court date and we get a public account from both sides, and evidence, and make a more informed opinion.

Yeah, some people are weirdly fixating on "donuts" and thinking "oh, I've done that, this is nothing" and then skipping over all the other aspects of the story.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:52 am
The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:41 am Wonder if the reaction would be different if the original report just simply stated his actual charges, reckless driving and driving on suspended license. Not as eye catching, but maybe there would be a lot more measured takes from that. Then he gets a court date and we get a public account from both sides, and evidence, and make a more informed opinion.

Yeah, some people are weirdly fixating on "donuts" and thinking "oh, I've done that, this is nothing" and then skipping over all the other aspects of the story.
I'm willing to wait to see if reckless driving part sticks. But it's hard to see the combination of the reports and not feel there was likely some serious boneheadnesses at play at minimum. Hopefully boneheadnesses is all and not truely reckless behavior.
malk
Head Coach

Doooon't caaaaare.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He has 2 prior incidents with the law, one while in college. Cut bait, he's obviously an ijit and the Bears don't need a guy like him on the team.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Maybe we should see how he performs and acts on his one-year deal first before we do that. Granted, this isn't a great beginning, but it shouldn't be his death knell either.
wab
Mod

Depending on the age of the kid, that could've factored into it. It's not "nothing" but it's not THAT big of a deal. I'm not going down some rabbit hole of assumptions about his character when it seems like he's just a bonehead.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:52 am

Not skipping over anything - just noting its a molehill not a mountain
dave99
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:24 am I “borrowed” my older sisters car at 14 and did donuts in the High School parking lot. Didn’t get caught tho lol.

This is dumb but will blow over and is a Nothingburger. I fully expect the pearl clutchers to be out in force anyways.
I myself went through the late 60's, early 70,s as a young adult and did nothing that could even be thought questionable, much less illegal.
I also swam the English Channel, climbed Mt. Everest and ran a 3 minute mile, but I don't like to brag.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

On the scale of things typically in the news, this is a blip.
Bearfacts
MVP

In Florida being verbally confrontational might be as little as forgetting to say "yes sir". IME there are about 7 standard "other offenses" some officers like to add to an incident report and/or ticket. That's one of them.

But.....in the scheme of things it's not a big deal and if he pleads not guilty he'll have his day in court. The Bears don't operate a traffic enforcement division that I know of.
IE
Hall of Famer

Friend: "Show me what this thing can do." Pringle: "I ain't getting no speeding ticket. I already have some shit (unpaid tickets) I need to take care of." Friend: "OK - Just do a donut or something. We're in the middle of nowhere". Kid: "Yeah, Dad- do a donut!" Pringle: "OK - just one." Cop siren: "(siren sound and flashing lights)." Pringle: "Fuck."
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:03 pm On the scale of things typically in the news, this is a blip.
I don't think a dude getting arrested is ever just blip. Now it may turn out that arrest was totally unwarranted and it should have ended in a citation and court date, but we don't really know full details yet, either.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:38 pm Friend: "Show me what this thing can do." Pringle: "I ain't getting no speeding ticket. I already have some shit (unpaid tickets) I need to take care of." Friend: "OK - Just do a donut or something. We're in the middle of nowhere". Kid: "Yeah, Dad- do a donut!" Pringle: "OK - just one." Cop siren: "(siren sound and flashing lights)." Pringle: "Fuck."
I mean we can wildly speculate on either end of the spectrum. Why when the truth is probably neither?
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:45 pm
IE wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:38 pm Friend: "Show me what this thing can do." Pringle: "I ain't getting no speeding ticket. I already have some shit (unpaid tickets) I need to take care of." Friend: "OK - Just do a donut or something. We're in the middle of nowhere". Kid: "Yeah, Dad- do a donut!" Pringle: "OK - just one." Cop siren: "(siren sound and flashing lights)." Pringle: "Fuck."
I mean we can wildly speculate on either end of the spectrum. Why when the truth is probably neither?
Occam's Razor my man. Usually the simplest explanation is the correct one.

He was goofing off in a fast car. It's not like he crashed his lambo and fled from the scene.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Sheesh.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
IE
Hall of Famer

i was just pointing out how real life works. He probably shouldn't have done it. He was showing off for his buddy or kid or both. I've done it (usually on snow, in my truck) for fun with my kids in the vehicle. It wasn't risky to the kid - that is effing absurd. The "public road" part is hilarious. That could be any pavement anywhere. Did he complain to the cop over getting in trouble for being silly? Probably. He might have even used a swear word or something. Whoop dee doo. Bear fans: cut him.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:53 pm

He was goofing off in a fast car. It's not like he crashed his lambo and fled from the scene.
There's no report of an additional passenger, but that was part of the presumed hypothetical. Doesn't sound like Occam's Razor.

This may come down to a YMMV situation, but I don't view cars as toys, at least not when they're on public roads. Even if you think it's an empty road it doesn't become your playground to do whatever you want. Punishment aside, it shouldn't be controversial to state that's stupid behavior and I don't really care if it came accompanied with peer pressure or the request of a 3 year old.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:58 pm
i was just pointing out how real life works. He probably shouldn't have done it. He was showing off for his buddy or kid or both. I've done it (usually on snow, in my truck) for fun with my kids in the vehicle. It wasn't risky to the kid - that is effing absurd. The "public road" part is hilarious. That could be any pavement anywhere. Did he complain to the cop over getting in trouble for being silly? Probably. He might have even used a swear word or something. Whoop dee doo. Bear fans: cut him.
Your truck isn't a toy to play with on roads other people are using to get from point a to b. You're wrong too then.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I for one haven't called for him to be cut and would've shocked if that it came anywhere close to that. It's still objectively stupid behavior though. Hopefully it was just stupid and not to the actual legal definition of reckless. We'll find out in time I guess.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:04 pm
IE wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:58 pm

Your truck isn't a toy to play with on roads other people are using to get from point a to b. You're wrong too then.
297.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mr. Briggs on line 94 for you, sir.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

JFC some of you people must’ve been raised in a convent.

A father took his son for a ride in a sports car and did donuts.

OK, let’s get the firing squad ready.

If this was Peyton Manning in a suburb of New Orleans does it make the news? Does the cop dare arrest Peyton Manning for this?

If this was JJ Watt in a Wisconsin suburb or a suburb of Houston does it make the news? Does the cop dare arrest him for this?

Fuck no.

And as far as Pringle being mouthy with a cop, there’s a lot to say about black people and the way they’re treated by cops. A lot. I won’t go there, but you know damn well I’m right.

Oh gee whiz. He gave the cop an attitude. Hopefully the police have a good EAP where Barney Fife can go get some grief counseling or some shit. Hopefully Pringle didn’t use any dirty words because that would break my fucking heart.

What’s the appropriate punishment here? Should Pringle lose a multimillion dollar contract? Suspended for half the season? Kicked out of the league? His child taken away from him?

Fuck off.

A father took a son for a ride in a sports car and did donuts in it.

Yes the suspended license is an issue. Pay the fine and move on with your life. But it isn’t like Pringle was doing 120mph down the Eisenhower with an empty 1/5th of Crown Royal with a screaming infant in the back.

The draft is in a few days. Take a Midol and calm down.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:44 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:03 pm On the scale of things typically in the news, this is a blip.
I don't think a dude getting arrested is ever just blip. Now it may turn out that arrest was totally unwarranted and it should have ended in a citation and court date, but we don't really know full details yet, either.
When the options the past few years seem to be sexual assault accusations, firearms arrests, shootings in bars, domestic abuse, drug selling or getting a reckless driving, I’ll take the reckless driving 10 out of 10 times.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:13 pm

When the options the past few years seem to be sexual assault accusations, firearms arrests, shootings in bars, domestic abuse, drug selling or getting a reckless driving, I’ll take the reckless driving 10 out of 10 times.
Uh this feels like a definite false choice scenario lol. It's okay not be happy he's a bone head without it turning into an indictment commensurate with assault or rape.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:03 pm ...
What’s the appropriate punishment here? Should Pringle lose a multimillion dollar contract? Suspended for half the season? Kicked out of the league? His child taken away from him?
An entire post brought to you by strawmen arguments. I mean come on. This isn't a serious discussion if that's how it is. Ridiculous.

One poster called it crime if century which I believe was sarcasm.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:13 pm

Correct.

You have to have a sense of perspective.
There was no violence. There was no abuse. A lot worse is done by sporting heroes all the time.

Stupid, irresponsible but fortunately not a big deal.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:03 pm ...
An entire post brought to you by strawmen arguments. I mean come on. This isn't a serious discussion if that's how it is. Ridiculous.

One poster called it crime if century which I believe was sarcasm.
I totally agree.

This isn’t a serious discussion at all.

You’re the one talking about not knowing all the details yet. What? Do you think George Soros paid for the gas in his car?

Looking for deeper meaning and getting all Info Wars about a father taking his kid out for a donut ride in a sports car is not a serious discussion in the slightest.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:03 pm

There's no report of an additional passenger, but that was part of the presumed hypothetical. Doesn't sound like Occam's Razor.
I mean it's literally in the article that there was an unidentified passenger in the front seat.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:14 pm

I mean it's literally in the article that there was an unidentified passenger in the front seat.
Pringle’s CIA MKULTRA handler no doubt.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:14 pm

You're right, I missed that the first time through.