Happy Birthday Jay Cutler!

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Cutty turns 39 today! He could still be our backup QB.

Just in case anybody needs a reminder, but THIS is what a personality is.

The apathy. The golden arm. Calling out teammates on the field. Telling the OC to go fuck himself. He had it all and I miss him.

Smoke up Jay! You've earned it brother!

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Good to see he's still got that golden arm.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Hero
Player of the Month

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:28 am

Good to see he's still got that golden arm.
Watch him bump his opponent, the Aaron Rodgers lookalike, at the end. Classic.

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

And you Americans think cricket is weird...
Richie
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:04 pm And you Americans think cricket is weird...
Cornhole is also a backyard drinking game that no one takes seriously. Kind of a big difference.
docc
Head Coach

...I'd play cornhole with his ex..Kristin..
Heinz D.
MVP

Has there ever been an NFL player with a weirder career than Jay Cutler? I mean--seriously? I'm not talking about guys who got injured, or tragically died...but guys who just kept chuggin' on...and had more bizarre careers, in totality?

What a waste of talent. What a stain on the franchise of the Chicago Bears. I'd call it all a joke--except it's entirely devoid of any kind of humor whatsoever.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I recently read an article in which Urlacher defended Cutler, especially in the 2010 title game, very interesting. In other Jay news, his ex- got hitched again.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:14 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:04 pm And you Americans think cricket is weird...
Cornhole is also a backyard drinking game that no one takes seriously. Kind of a big difference.
My comment was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. ;)
docc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:30 pm ...I'd play cornhole with his ex..Kristin..
Grizzled wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:43 am In other Jay news, his ex- got hitched again.
Hey, congratulations docc! The old dog's still got some life in him eh? :D
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:09 pm Has there ever been an NFL player with a weirder career than Jay Cutler? I mean--seriously? I'm not talking about guys who got injured, or tragically died...but guys who just kept chuggin' on...and had more bizarre careers, in totality?

What a waste of talent. What a stain on the franchise of the Chicago Bears. I'd call it all a joke--except it's entirely devoid of any kind of humor whatsoever.
A stain on the franchise? How so? Because of him or because they did basically nothing to help him succeed?
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Jay IMO wasn't a "stain on the franchise." He was a very (physically) gifted QB who, for a variety of reasons, never put it together in Chicago. He WAS proof positive that talent around a QB - especially a young QB - makes a difference. His most productive season remains his 3rd year in Denver. He went from being sacked only 11 times with elite weapons and an elite play caller to Chicago, with a substandard offensive line and, until Marshall and Jeffrey arrived, substandard pass catchers and middling play calling. That said, even as he approached 10 years in the NFL, he was still throwing RIDICULOUS interceptions - particularly pick sixes. The bad pick six that Fields threw in GB last year? Jay was still doing that in 2016. That's not all on coaching or his supporting cast - those, arguably, were on him.

Still, he was (often) fun to watch.
Heinz D.
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:02 pm A stain on the franchise? How so? Because of him or because they did basically nothing to help him succeed?
Both.

And a guy like that needs to be SUPER coached...and that didn't happen, neither.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I still would have liked to have seen if Arians could have gotten more out of Cutler. His coaching with the Bears sucked but those INTS werre killers.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:09 pm Has there ever been an NFL player with a weirder career than Jay Cutler? I mean--seriously? I'm not talking about guys who got injured, or tragically died...but guys who just kept chuggin' on...and had more bizarre careers, in totality?

Damnit I didn't mean to "thank you" for your post :rofl:

He wasn't a waste of a talent, let alone a stain on this franchise. He, statistically, is the best QB the Chicago Bears have ever had.

We did nothing to help him; the carousel of offensive coordinators was a joke, and having Devin Hester as a #1 WR almost as bad as having a washed up Roy Williams as a #1 WR.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

artbest01 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:46 pm Jay IMO wasn't a "stain on the franchise." He was a very (physically) gifted QB who, for a variety of reasons, never put it together in Chicago. He WAS proof positive that talent around a QB - especially a young QB - makes a difference. His most productive season remains his 3rd year in Denver. He went from being sacked only 11 times with elite weapons and an elite play caller to Chicago, with a substandard offensive line and, until Marshall and Jeffrey arrived
That's the thing.

His season over season statistics were unbelievably - probably unparalleled among QBs - similar every year.
Good receivers, crap receivers, good OC, bad OC. They did a famous study on QB stats on 'with time to throw' and 'without time to throw' and the #1 guy for least affected by the quality of his protection was...Jay Cutler.

Nothing mattered.
He was the same guy. Always.

I don't think you could possibly construct a stronger argument against "surrounding him with more would have helped". It never did.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

You know we're balls deep in the offseason when a Cutler debate thread crops up, lol.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:43 am You know we're balls deep in the offseason when a Cutler debate thread crops up, lol.
I often go back and forth with myself about which debates are the best. Cutler or Mitch.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:32 pm
UOK wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:43 am You know we're balls deep in the offseason when a Cutler debate thread crops up, lol.
I often go back and forth with myself about which debates are the best. Cutler or Mitch.
Or Grossman v Orton! Those were a riot

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Heinz D.
MVP

G08 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:12 am He wasn't a waste of a talent, let alone a stain on this franchise. He, statistically, is the best QB the Chicago Bears have ever had.
Umm...okay?
G08 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:12 amWe did nothing to help him; the carousel of offensive coordinators was a joke, and having Devin Hester as a #1 WR almost as bad as having a washed up Roy Williams as a #1 WR.
And how is all this different from what I posted? :D
G08
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:54 pm
G08 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:12 am He wasn't a waste of a talent, let alone a stain on this franchise. He, statistically, is the best QB the Chicago Bears have ever had.
Umm...okay?
G08 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:12 amWe did nothing to help him; the carousel of offensive coordinators was a joke, and having Devin Hester as a #1 WR almost as bad as having a washed up Roy Williams as a #1 WR.
And how is all this different from what I posted? :D
I must have lost something in translation... were you calling Cutler a waste of talent? Or were you saying the Chicago Bears wasted his talent :lol:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:00 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:32 pm

Oh yeah no doubt. Don't forget Brian Griese or Matt Barkley.

But yes, Grossman v Orton was awesome.

I fucking live for a good screaming match about our QBs. Of all the shit we talk about and debate here, there's something about a good old fashioned slobberknocker about QBs that livens up my spirit.

All of this ends though with Soldier Fields sticking his foot up the league's ass this year.

The best hope(j/k) I have is that Soldier Fields takes care of business, but we suck enough collectively to get a top 5 pick and a chance at a new QB. Then let the screaming begin.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Probably the weirdest “happy birthdays” he’s ever had
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 am

I fucking live for a good screaming match about our QBs. Of all the shit we talk about and debate here, there's something about a good old fashioned slobberknocker about QBs that livens up my spirit.

All of this ends though with Soldier Fields sticking his foot up the league's ass this year.

The best hope(j/k) I have is that Soldier Fields takes care of business, but we suck enough collectively to get a top 5 pick and a chance at a new QB. Then let the screaming begin.
It added to the fun of gameday too. I found myself rooting harder for Cutler if he was getting shit on during the week and I was sticking up for him.

Fun times.

wab
Mod

Saying Cutler is a stain on this franchise is grossly misplaced. What the Bears did to Cutler should be a stain on this franchise.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 am

Craig Krenzel v. Chad Hutchinson. Those were dark days.
wulfy
MVP

Mike Phipps vs Vince Evans vs Bob Avelleni
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bob Avellini all the way
Heinz D.
MVP

G08 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:52 pm I must have lost something in translation... were you calling Cutler a waste of talent? Or were you saying the Chicago Bears wasted his talent :lol:
Richie
MVP

What is bizarre, exactly? He started for 11 years. He was pretty much the same guy all 11 years. He always floated somewhere between middling, to above average, to below average, and then had a few hot streaks of great play. Made some eye popping throws which could also turn into stomach churning INT's when things didn't go his way. Honestly, forget that description over the course of his career. The same could be said for most of his individual seasons.

The guy played hard and nobody took bigger hits and kept getting up than Jay. Not any Bears QB I've seen in my lifetime. Nobody played through worse injuries (or came back quicker from bad injuries) than I can remember in my lifetime. (I am 30, FWIW)

People are way too dramatic over Jay in hindsight. He was a middling QB who had the physical tools to be better than that. However, he didn't process the field consistently enough and his mechanics weren't consistent under pressure. It's the story of many, many QB's who didn't take that next step.

He isn't unique or special in any way. Other than the fact that if you're a Bears fan - you pretty much hinged all of your hopes on him to be the second coming of Sid Luckman. He wasn't and that sucks. However, that being said, it doesn't make his individual career overly unique. It's just the spectacle that we (the fans) and the media created around him was MASSIVE.

There were some good memories. There were some bad ones. He seems like a laid back good dude who is enjoying his life. Quit being so fuckin dramatic. It's been over going on SIX years now.